Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13053568

Subject: "Chop it up about fitness bands and watches." Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 07:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Chop it up about fitness bands and watches."

On the market for one. What r some good intro ones? Eying the Fitbit Charge HR right now. What is ur experience with them?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I got a Moto360 a couple of months ago.
Aug 05th 2016
What type of phone do you use?
Aug 05th 2016
Garmin Fenix 3 is the dream watch
Aug 08th 2016
Is it good for bodybuilders?
Aug 08th 2016
laaaate update. I got it.
Jan 27th 2017
From glancing at the photos, that looks pretty heavy for a fitness watch...
Aug 09th 2016
      pics deceiving
Jan 27th 2017
Been using the Polar Loop
Aug 09th 2016
I love the Apple Watch series 2
Jan 27th 2017
I want the new Withings watch
Jan 28th 2017
I want this for more of a smart watch than anything else
Jan 28th 2017

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Aug-05-16 06:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I got a Moto360 a couple of months ago."
In response to Reply # 0

Was toying with the FitBit range, but I decided I wanted something that looked vaguely like a normal watch and Android Wear seemed to have much better apps available.

I'm actually really impressed too - it's not perfect for heart-rate when you're running (all the wrist bands seem to be similar in this regard - if that's what you're after primarily the chest-straps seem a better idea) but it's really changed the way I think about my daily routine.

I'm using MotoBody and Google Fit to track steps, heart rate and various activities - it's surprisingly good at realising when I'm running, cycling or walking, though not perfect at realising I'm on a bus.

The best thing I've found so far is Sleep As Android (sleep.urbandroid.org) which monitors your heart rate as you sleep so you can track all your various sleep cycles and even set a grace-period on your alarm so it can wake up at the best moment for your cycle... but I don't think it's compatible with the FitBits.

If you're just looking for the odd Heartrate reading, the Charge HR will be fine, but I think it probably falls more into gimmick really and I figured I'd stop using it eventually. If you want something that'll keep you more interested for longer, go for Android Wear (Motorola, Asus, LG, Sony, Huawei all do similar spec ones) or Apple Watch (just pick the best look for you tbh) and if you're really serious about monitoring the heart I'd get a Polar cheststrap aswell/instead.

))<>((
forever.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44619 posts
Fri Aug-05-16 07:45 AM

2. "What type of phone do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

If it's a newer Samsung it's compatible with the Gear S2 and the new Gear Fit 2.

Ditto to everything said in the post above....
But I know you can score a Gear S2 on Swappa for the LOW low right now. I have the Gear S2 and i've had zero issues with it...but I have a Galaxy S7edge so it aligns with the Samsung suite of fitness apps smoothly.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Mon Aug-08-16 05:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Garmin Fenix 3 is the dream watch"
In response to Reply # 0

but so damn pricey. Steps tracking, triathlon, open water tracking, slew of watch faces, and while its a little large (they have a Heart rate version that's a little thicker too) it's still an ill everyday watch.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/03/garmin-fenix3-detailed-review.html

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Mon Aug-08-16 06:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Is it good for bodybuilders?"
In response to Reply # 3

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 07:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "laaaate update. I got it."
In response to Reply # 4

Dunno if it is really a fit for bodybuiders. The built in HR monitor is kinda sketchy, the chest strap HR monitor is way more accurate.

You can set if for gym workouts and you can hit laps for sets and rest but I wouldn't really reccomend it for that.

I wear it on some crossfit classes and it kinda get in the way with Kettlebells sometimes.

Numba_33
Charter member
19340 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 08:22 AM

5. "From glancing at the photos, that looks pretty heavy for a fitness watch..."
In response to Reply # 3

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 07:10 PM

8. "pics deceiving"
In response to Reply # 5

I was worried about that too and the standard strap is really light and the watch with the band only weighs about 3.25 oz.

I got a aftermarket band that's even lighter and I also got the stainless steel band and that one adds SIGNIFICANT weight.

Numba_33
Charter member
19340 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 08:27 AM

6. "Been using the Polar Loop"
In response to Reply # 0

in addition to a Polar Bluetooth heart rate monitor (sold separately) that is strapped to the chest. Been using both in tandem for the past two years or so now. The main reason I went with the Loop is that it's the cheapest fitness watch that pairs up with a chest heart rate monitor on the market. The only downside is there's no way to know if the battery in the heart rate monitor is dead until you try and sync it up with the Polar Loop watch and it doesn't register a heart rate. Other than that, no complaints on my end.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

handle
Charter member
18963 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 11:45 PM

9. "I love the Apple Watch series 2"
In response to Reply # 0

I can load music on it, and go out with bluetooth headphones and just the watch. Has GPS, the NikeRunClub app, and tracks my heart-rate the whole time.

It's comfortable and I like it.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Heinz
20763 posts
Sat Jan-28-17 01:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I want the new Withings watch "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.withings.com/us/en/products/steel-hr

Heinz
20763 posts
Sat Jan-28-17 04:00 AM

11. "I want this for more of a smart watch than anything else"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat Jan-28-17 04:01 AM by Heinz

that and the Apple watch. I feel like any watch or strap or whatever is gonna get in the way of training. If im doing heavy squats, dl's, ohp or anything where im gonna need straps its just gonna get in the way. But i lvoe the way both of these watches look especially the Withings one. Very sleek and minimal.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13053568 Previous topic | Next topic