Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13052604

Subject: "yo, how did arnold schwarzenegger become governor?" Previous topic | Next topic
falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"yo, how did arnold schwarzenegger become governor?"

if i recall correctly, gray davis was recalled as gov... but how did a republican action hero swoop in? this is calfornia we're talking about. he even beat out a latino democrat.

is this a cautionary tale of whats to come? i remember being a kid at the time and thinking politics was beyond my scope... but when this happened i was like wtf? are they serious? and now that im much older i still feel the same way lol.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: yo, how did arnold schwarzenegger become governor?
Aug 03rd 2016
how did that gay marriage bill fail in Cali in 2008?
Aug 03rd 2016
he pumped everybody up
Aug 03rd 2016
Hanz and Franz were his campaign managers?
Aug 03rd 2016
      !!
Aug 03rd 2016
Its not like this was the first time we had an actor in office.
Aug 03rd 2016
Maria Shriver and Limited Exposure. The End nm
Aug 03rd 2016
I wasn't here, but the entire campaign was a joke
Aug 03rd 2016
He was RE-elected dude.
Aug 03rd 2016
      Just proves California can FUCK UP while also leading
Aug 04th 2016
the repubs publicly tied gray davis enough to the hip of enron
Aug 03rd 2016
mostly we thought it would be funny
Aug 03rd 2016
Unpopular sitting governor and an extremely short "election" cycle
Aug 03rd 2016
Grey Davis was NOT unpopular (when the recall was started)
Aug 03rd 2016
      there's a special rung in hell for darrell issa.
Aug 03rd 2016
           bitch-ass Darrell Issa was one of the SOPA barons.
Aug 04th 2016
Repubs wanted him to run for president eventually...
Aug 03rd 2016
Was that around the same time
Aug 03rd 2016
      Had to remember myself. It was four years before O took office.
Aug 03rd 2016
      Nah, it was well before
Aug 03rd 2016
he was popular, he didnt outright alienate any group
Aug 03rd 2016
he had name recognition.
Aug 03rd 2016
He didn't just win, he got re-elected after vetoing the gay marriage bil...
Aug 04th 2016
because Gary Coleman, prn star Mary Carey, and everybody with a petition
Aug 04th 2016

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: yo, how did arnold schwarzenegger become governor?"
In response to Reply # 0

Arnold had good will on his side.. he didnt say wild crazy shit.. he just used celebrity to ease in there like Jesse Ventura

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "how did that gay marriage bill fail in Cali in 2008? "
In response to Reply # 0

the state is much bigger than LA and SF

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:33 AM

3. "he pumped everybody up"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:39 AM

5. "Hanz and Franz were his campaign managers?"
In response to Reply # 3

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:57 AM

7. "!!"
In response to Reply # 5

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:37 AM

4. "Its not like this was the first time we had an actor in office. "
In response to Reply # 0

Ronald Dregan stand up

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:55 AM

6. "Maria Shriver and Limited Exposure. The End nm"
In response to Reply # 0

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I wasn't here, but the entire campaign was a joke"
In response to Reply # 0

Remember Gary Coleman and others were candidates? I feel like people felt it didn't matter who we elected, and people really just saw him as the Terminator and a cool funny buff guy with an accent, so it was like "I'm voting for him, this is funny" until they realized everyone else had the same sense of humor as them. Like, his nickname was really the "Governator." Who gives the governor of the most populated state in the most powerful country a damn nickname? Just shows that nobody took it serious.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 08:32 PM

20. "He was RE-elected dude."
In response to Reply # 8

>Just shows that nobody took
>it serious.

Kinda kills that assertion.

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 11:38 AM

22. "Just proves California can FUCK UP while also leading"
In response to Reply # 20

We've elected a number of disastrous Republicans in what is "rumored" to be a progressive state. The good news is that the state is much more progressive now - but it could very well happen again.

It was just 7 years ago this state voted to ban same sex marriage. (And yes, we blamed it on a "75%" black and Hispanic vote for it - but in reality it was more like 3 of 5 for it - not 3 of 4.)

Reagan was a disaster the poor.
Deukmejian was a disaster for the poor.
Wilson was a disaster for the poor. And boy those riots were FUN!
Arnold was less bad than those three - but he definitely enabled the crazy republicans in the legislature go buck wild.

Jerry Brown isn't great - but he beats the shit out of those Republican fucks.

Thank God Clint didn't run - he'd still be there talking to a fucking chair.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "the repubs publicly tied gray davis enough to the hip of enron"
In response to Reply # 0

folks don't take too kindly to manipulated blackouts, not to mention during a recession.

ken lay can still cold get the bozack six feet deep.

i voted against the recall and for bustamante, but arnold's star power (versus gray davis incidentally being the driest human being ever) put him over enough with the public.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:28 PM

10. "mostly we thought it would be funny"
In response to Reply # 0

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:29 PM

11. "Unpopular sitting governor and an extremely short "election" cycle"
In response to Reply # 0

That's the TL;DR explanation. Here's the longer version:

It happened barely a year after Gray Davis had been re-elected to his second term; he'd survived the PG&E "rolling blackout" crisis and mopped the floor with a rank amateur Republican. He was still pretty unpopular, due to the lingering effects of the power crisis, and then by signing into law a pretty drastic increase in vehicle licensing fees (cost to get your car registered).

In the midst of this, state Republicans started a recall campaign, which for a while looked like a joke, until Daryl Issa poured a couple million into it, in hopes of becoming the replacement governor himself.

Due to kind of complicated reasons, the recall election was scheduled to happen 76 days after the petition was certified. The election contained two "votes": should the governor be recalled, and if so, who should replace him. There were 135 candiates of the second part of the ballot. The Democratic lieutenant governor became a candidate but campaigned for people to vote against the recall. A bunch of Republicans got on the ballot, but almost all of them dropped out when Arnold showed up.

Arnold essentially ran a six-week campaign (he declared his canidancy "late"), which worked well for him. It was too short of a time period for any scandals to pop up (though some reporters said they sat on the mistress story back then, because they didn't have the evidence to back it up). He used his stature as a celebrity, and was seen as a moderate Republican. He also only participated in one debate, the one where he got all the questions in advance. He also handled himself well during that debate when dealing with Arianna Huffington (yes, she was in the top eight of the candidates), who antagonized him the entire time.

All of this lead to the recall passing with 55% of the vote and Arnold being chosen as the governor after receiving 48& of the vote.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 01:04 PM

16. "Grey Davis was NOT unpopular (when the recall was started)"
In response to Reply # 11

This is what's wrong with the entire narrative (I'm not attacking YOU, it's what has been sold to the public.)

Grey Davis won re-election as the governor in 2002.

Ted Costa - a shit for brains "ANTI TAX" crusader wanted to start a recall but didn't have the money or support. Remember - Grey Davis JUST WON re-election - had done nothing illegal, unethical, or wrong - but the Republicans wanted to have a do-over election.
Darrel Issa , a HUGE FUCKING ASSHOLE, put a lot of money into using California’s ballot initiative process and basically paid people to canvas and collect signatures for a recall.

Issa used his money to have people collect signatures outside of Von's to get the ball rolling.

So when the electric companies in California were intentionally and cynically shutting down plants to increase the costs of electricity people needed to blame SOMEONE and the signature collectors used that line to get them to sign and the recall was placed on the ballot just MONTHS after Grey Davis won re-election in a major election cycle.

The tipping point was California increased the cost to register your car. It actually just stopped the bullshit bill Pete Wilson had signed that decreased fees and led to severe under funding of highway repair.

So a small percentage of California voters were suckered into signing the petition because the highways were stinking, the fees were increasing, and we had a bunch of blackouts. So like 15% of people signed a recall petition.

The tragic and FUCKING HILARIOUS thing is that Darrel Issa figured he'd be the Republican candidate because he was paying for it all. Well the grifters who fleeced him of his money squashed that and Issa's press conference where he cried LIKE THE BITCH THAT HE IS was EPIC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VW0v7wwfkQ <-The last 10 seconds of that clip.

So The Republicans recruited Arnold Schwarzenegger to run.

Arnold, as you may remember is a fucking scumbag movie star, whose father was an ACTUAL NAZI, who's best friend WAS AN ACTUAL NAZI, who used his cunning (and CHEATING) to become a world champion body builder and a fucking awful actor (in a few good films and a ton of shit) and used his charisma to become wildly popular.

I remember the *DAY* I knew he was going to win - it was his appearance on The Tonight Show.

So the ballot they gave California's was absolute BULLSHIT.

It had two questions: 1)Would you like to recall Gray Davis? 2)Who do you cast your vote for if item 1 passes.

The recall on Davis (item 1) passed.
Schwarzenegger won item 2.

So the Republicans effectively undid an election - all it cost them was a lot of money - and the used Arnold to FUCK California for many years.

Arnold re-instituted the lower fees to register vehicles, which people liked because more money in their pockets - and he issued bonds (IE, debt) to try to improve the roads. The roads sucked for a long time.

Then he tried to put in INSANE Republican ideas into a largely democratic state and could not get it passed by the state government.

Then the proposed 4 ballot initiatives to try to fuck unions, teachers, minors who are pregnant, make it easier to redistrict (gerrymander) and a few other things.

They ALL lost.

When Enron was exposed and the electricity crisis was found to in fact be a crime he settled for pennies on the dollar.

So THEN he tried to be more centrist - but was still a fucking asshole who could not govern well. He left the state worst off than we he came in.

And rich Republicans with grudges and ideology subverted California’s Democracy and still came out of it as losers. (Well except all the profits the personally raked in from changes Arnold put in to favor the wealthy.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "there's a special rung in hell for darrell issa."
In response to Reply # 16

i also remember folks (YT in particular) being pretty furious about davis granting drivers licenses to "undocumenteds" as a parting shot on his way out. lol

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 11:05 AM

21. "bitch-ass Darrell Issa was one of the SOPA barons."
In response to Reply # 17

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:39 PM

12. "Repubs wanted him to run for president eventually..."
In response to Reply # 0

There was a campaign to amend the natural-born citizen clause of Constitution, "Amend For Arnold", while his popularity was high.

Streets won't let me chill.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:48 PM

13. "Was that around the same time"
In response to Reply # 12

the Birther movement was alive and kicking against Obama; led by the man that's the current Republican nominee for president?

My memory is off, so forgive me if I'm wrong in terms of the two events occurring around the same time.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:54 PM

14. "Had to remember myself. It was four years before O took office."
In response to Reply # 13

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Amend-for-Arnold-campaign-launched-Web-site-2635267.php

Streets won't let me chill.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:59 PM

15. "Nah, it was well before"
In response to Reply # 13

Republicans thought they had a popular Governor in a hardcore blue state who was photo-genic and literally a movie star. If Arnold could have held it together, there would have been a serious push to pass a law to make him eligible to run for President.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 04:06 PM

18. "he was popular, he didnt outright alienate any group"
In response to Reply # 0

he was married into a very liberal family, and he himself had fairly liberal views on the environment if i remember correctly. i didn't vote for him, but he wasn't seen as someone who would ruin the state. plus, there were no democrats running that had mass appeal, and a backlash against Gray Davis.

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 08:21 PM

19. "he had name recognition. "
In response to Reply # 0

that's half the battle. It's how we got Clinton and Trump this go round, and not Bush.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 02:10 PM

23. "He didn't just win, he got re-elected after vetoing the gay marriage bil..."
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Thu Aug-04-16 02:30 PM

24. "because Gary Coleman, prn star Mary Carey, and everybody with a petition"
In response to Reply # 0

was in it. I think it was about 15 people running with 13 with no real shot of winning.

Arnold had a statewide organized team along with the money to make it happen.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13052604 Previous topic | Next topic