Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13049893

Subject: "Ask a Catholic" Previous topic | Next topic
tappenzee
Member since Sep 28th 2002
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ask a Catholic"

I notice a lot of Seventh Day Adventists and JWs on OKP when I do these. It's certainly a different perspective than anything in the circles I run into, so I appreciate those questions. But go ahead and ask away, whether you're a Bible-only Christian, a Catholic yourself, an atheist, or what have you.

Can be about the faith, practices, timely news stuff, or good old fashioned apologetics-type of questions.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
why is it such a liberal religion
Jul 27th 2016
RE: why is it such a liberal religion
Jul 27th 2016
James Joyce called the Church "Here Comes Everybody"
Jul 27th 2016
On judgement day what value will Catholicism hold?
Jul 27th 2016
RE: On judgement day what value will Catholicism hold?
Jul 27th 2016
That's not quite what I was getting at.
Jul 27th 2016
      RE: That's not quite what I was getting at.
Jul 27th 2016
           but it does refer to Christianity
Jul 27th 2016
                RE: but it does refer to Christianity
Jul 27th 2016
they get transported to Nibiru/Planet X to chill with the Anunnaki
Jul 28th 2016
How do you square veneration for saints and images of them
Jul 27th 2016
RE: How do you square veneration for saints and images of them
Jul 27th 2016
where in the bible does it say to pray to saints or to mary?
Jul 27th 2016
      RE: where in the bible does it say to pray to saints or to mary?
Jul 27th 2016
           None of those scriptires say to pray To saints or mary
Jul 28th 2016
                RE: None of those scriptires say to pray To saints or mary
Jul 28th 2016
                     so where in the bible does it say to pray to the saints and mary and
Jul 28th 2016
                          Where in the Bible does it say
Jul 28th 2016
                               If your answer is that it doesn't say it in the bible, you should just
Jul 28th 2016
                                    RE: If your answer is that it doesn't say it in the bible, you should ju...
Jul 28th 2016
                                         ah, ok tradition. That's the answer to the question.
Jul 28th 2016
                                              n/p.
Jul 28th 2016
The Catholic view of God, Heaven, etc is communal:
Jul 27th 2016
      not possible if the dead have no knowledge this communion is in heaven
Jul 27th 2016
      Just to clarify
Jul 28th 2016
      Catholics don't believe everything is on hold like how you put it.
Jul 28th 2016
      Couldn't have said it better myself n/m
Jul 28th 2016
           :)
Jul 28th 2016
I went to Catholic School
Jul 27th 2016
RE: I went to Catholic School
Jul 27th 2016
Catholic School had me LOST, since I came up Protestant.
Jul 27th 2016
      RE: Catholic School had me LOST, since I came up Protestant.
Jul 28th 2016
what are your thoughts on climate change?
Jul 27th 2016
The past three popes have affirmed its urgency as a moral issue
Jul 27th 2016
It's no good
Jul 28th 2016
do you go to confession, do hail marys etc?
Jul 28th 2016
RE: do you go to confession, do hail marys etc?
Jul 28th 2016
Priests and Nuns
Jul 28th 2016
RE: Priests and Nuns
Jul 28th 2016

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "why is it such a liberal religion"
In response to Reply # 0

yall be wildin out at parties mayne

is there fundamentalist catholicism

tappenzee
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:10 PM

3. "RE: why is it such a liberal religion"
In response to Reply # 1

>yall be wildin out at parties mayne
>
>is there fundamentalist catholicism

Can you explain what you mean? I've heard Catholicism described as a lot of things, but "liberal" isn't usually one of them!

What do you mean by "fundamentalist Catholicism?"

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 06:26 PM

18. "James Joyce called the Church "Here Comes Everybody""
In response to Reply # 1

And Augustine understood the Church as a hospital for sinners and not as a summer camp for saints.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:08 PM

2. "On judgement day what value will Catholicism hold? "
In response to Reply # 0

tappenzee
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:13 PM

4. "RE: On judgement day what value will Catholicism hold? "
In response to Reply # 2

>
Well, everything will be made known on Judgment Day (Luke 12:2), so the Church is designed to ensure as many people are in God's friendship at that time. Seems pretty valuable to me!

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:22 PM

6. "That's not quite what I was getting at."
In response to Reply # 4

If all it takes to be saved is to believe in the risen christ and it's those who do believe whose names are written in the book of life then what is the value of being catholic when it comes to the gift of eternal life? In other words according to the bible one doesn't need Catholicism to live after death. So what's it's value?

tappenzee
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:33 PM

7. "RE: That's not quite what I was getting at."
In response to Reply # 6

>If all it takes to be saved is to believe in the risen christ
>and it's those who do believe whose names are written in the
>book of life then what is the value of being catholic when it
>comes to the gift of eternal life? In other words according to
>the bible one doesn't need Catholicism to live after death. So
>what's it's value?

I see what you mean now, though I disagree with your premise. Catholics don't believe in Sola Fide, and salvation is instead considered an ongoing drama throughout one's life. Christ himself states that you cannot enter into heaven without being baptized into the faith. The Catholic Church provides that baptism. He also states that you cannot enter the Kingdom unless you eat his flesh and drink his blood. The Catholic Church provides the Eucharist for that purpose. And so on with the other Sacraments. Reconciliation is a consequence of Christ's granting his apostles to forgive sins, etc.

So, the Catholic Church is an extension of Christ's ministry. You are right that the Bible doesn't ever refer to "Catholicism." But, then again, it never refers to "The Bible" either!

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:48 PM

11. "but it does refer to Christianity "
In response to Reply # 7

tappenzee
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 03:03 PM

12. "RE: but it does refer to Christianity "
In response to Reply # 11

Yes, the term "Catholic" (meaning universal) didn't take root until the beginning of the second century, coined likely by St. Ignatius to distinguish the true Church from heresies of the time.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 05:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
39. "they get transported to Nibiru/Planet X to chill with the Anunnaki"
In response to Reply # 2

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:21 PM

5. "How do you square veneration for saints and images of them"
In response to Reply # 0

with Exodus 20:4

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth."

5: “You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me."

No snark, I'm a former catholic and that's one of the many reasons that I bounced

tappenzee
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:43 PM

9. "RE: How do you square veneration for saints and images of them"
In response to Reply # 5

>with Exodus 20:4
>
>"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of
>what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the
>water under the earth."
>
>5: “You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the
>LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the
>fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth
>generations of those who hate Me."
>
>No snark, I'm a former catholic and that's one of the many
>reasons that I bounced

Sure, that's a valid question. What is an idol? Or, more importantly, how are idols presented in this passage of Scripture? They are replacements for God. They substitute God for an image. This is an obvious violation of the First Commandment.

The Catholic Church does not present images, statues, etc as idols. They do not replace God, nor substitute for God, but instead point to God. Look a little further down in Exodus to 25:18. God is asking Moses himself to carve an image!

Further, the Saints in heaven, the Blessed Virgin Mary above all others, are venerated as canonized examples of living in God's friendship. And in praying to them, we are simply communicating with brothers and sisters who are close to God, something highly recommended throughout Scripture. The tricky thing with the English language is that prayer to saints and prayer to the Lord use the same word-- "prayer." However, the former is a request. A "please pray (latter definition) for me".

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 03:09 PM

13. "where in the bible does it say to pray to saints or to mary?"
In response to Reply # 9

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

tappenzee
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 03:18 PM

14. "RE: where in the bible does it say to pray to saints or to mary?"
In response to Reply # 13

Here are a few passages to chew on:

Revelation 5:8 (saints in heaven praying for us) - "Each of the elders held a harp and gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of the holy ones."

Timothy 2:1 (praying for others) - "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and pleasing to God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth"

Matthew 5:44 (Christ exhorting us to pray for others) - "But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you"

Matthew 17:3 (Conversing with those in heaven) - "And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him."

James 5:16 - "The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects." (Who is more righteous than those in heaven?)

I might also turn the question around and ask where it forbids the practice.

Cenario
59176 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 05:59 AM

21. "None of those scriptires say to pray To saints or mary"
In response to Reply # 14

They are talking about prayers FOR others not TO them.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 06:44 AM

22. "RE: None of those scriptires say to pray To saints or mary"
In response to Reply # 21

Yes, you are referring to prayer in a "worship" sense, which is not what we do when we pray to the saints. When we pray to saints, we are praying in an "asking" sense. Specifically, asking them to pray FOR us. Because we are meant to be one body in Christ. We are all fruits of the same vine, whether on earth or in heaven.

Cenario
59176 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 07:56 AM

28. "so where in the bible does it say to pray to the saints and mary and"
In response to Reply # 22

ask them to pray for us?

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 12:46 PM

31. "Where in the Bible does it say"
In response to Reply # 28

that everything you do has to be explicitly stated in the Bible?

Cenario
59176 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 01:00 PM

34. "If your answer is that it doesn't say it in the bible, you should just"
In response to Reply # 31
Thu Jul-28-16 01:03 PM by Cenario

say that.

But to answer your question:

Deuteronomy 8:3New King James Version (NKJV)

3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

So where did the Lord tell us that we should pray to saints and Mary?

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 01:09 PM

36. "RE: If your answer is that it doesn't say it in the bible, you should ju..."
In response to Reply # 34

>say that.
>
>But to answer your question:
>
>Deuteronomy 8:3New King James Version (NKJV)
>
>3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with
>manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that
>He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone;
>but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of
>the Lord.
>
>So where did the Lord tell us that we should pray to saints
>and Mary?

Do you believe that every word that proceeded from the mouth of the Lord has been documented in Scripture?

John 21:25 - "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written."

Ultimately, this is an argument about Sola Scriptura, which is a point of departure for Catholics and many Protestants. Your answer is that nowhere in Scripture does it explicitly state that we should pray to the saints and Mary. To a Bible-only Protestant, that's an "a ha!" moment. To a Catholic, we rely on the tradition set forth by the Church that Christ established (with Scriptual support, if not explicit directions).

Cenario
59176 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 01:43 PM

37. "ah, ok tradition. That's the answer to the question."
In response to Reply # 36

thanks.

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 01:51 PM

38. "n/p."
In response to Reply # 37

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 04:18 PM

15. "The Catholic view of God, Heaven, etc is communal:"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Jul-27-16 04:29 PM by Jon

God is Love...Love is relational and doesn't exist in solitaire without multiples

Trinity (the very nature of this God of Love being 3 persons)
Family
Communion of Saints

We are all this Love God's children, and God wants His children to love one another, which means having a relationship with one another.

A God like this is not simply utilitarian, so a purely utilitarian view of God's logic completely misses the point of literally EVERYTHING (Life, the Universe, Everything ...42)

A God like this could exist without any of us, or any of any of this around us.

A God like this chose, out of LOVE (not necessity - for which He has no needs) to create the universe, and to create us. Because somehow it makes Him happy.

The purpose for our existence is not a utilitarian one, to solve a problem or to fix a need, it is to participate in LOVE, and to participate and share in the beauty of God and creation.

This active participation in Love and creation and all that is wonderful is why God would give us an active role in each other's lives throughout eternity.

This is why a God like this encourages us to have a relationship with Saints (our family in Heaven) and enables them to participate in His work for us... even though it is not "necessary" from a utilitarian pov (He can do anything with no help). A utilitarian God would never bother creating us in the first place, and certainly wouldn't have any reason to love us.

edit PS: A "saint" is *anyone in Heaven*, not just the famous ones who have been officially canonized, which means *recognized* as a saint (canonizing doesn't make someone a saint, only says "this person's definitely in Heaven" -- which btw, there is never a declaration of certainty for anyone being in hell). The idea in Catholicism is that we're all meant to be saints (meant to be in Heaven, the communion of saints, etc). If you believe your friend or family member is in Heaven, and you speak to them, perhaps while looking at a picture of them, or holding something that reminds you of them, or visiting their grave, you are praying to a saint. That's what that is. You might even sing them a song or write them a love poem or ask "hey can you please help me out down here". Its different from worshiping them as your God.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 05:46 PM

17. "not possible if the dead have no knowledge this communion is in heaven"
In response to Reply # 15

and heaven isn't brought forth until this world perishes

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 06:46 AM

24. "Just to clarify"
In response to Reply # 17

Are you coming from a Jehovah's Witness perspective? So-called "soul sleep"?

I just want to make sure I know your position before I respond.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 06:52 AM

26. "Catholics don't believe everything is on hold like how you put it."
In response to Reply # 17

Catholics very much believe in a spiritual afterlife that exists now, a Heaven that exists now, that souls who have passed on are conscious now.

You may be getting that mixed up with the fact that Catholics also believe that one day, every soul will be reunited with their "resurrected" bodies, which will be like your old body but far more glorious. The ultimate reunion of the physical and spiritual which is typically interpreted to be "on hold" for now, until after Jesus comes back to Earth etc etc.

But is everyone just unconscious until that day? No.

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 06:45 AM

23. "Couldn't have said it better myself n/m"
In response to Reply # 15

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 06:53 AM

27. ":)"
In response to Reply # 23

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:36 PM

8. "I went to Catholic School"
In response to Reply # 0

Catholics don't really go to much into the old testament...

so.. all of that stuff about images and things they don't apply It to them.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

tappenzee
19839 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 02:46 PM

10. "RE: I went to Catholic School"
In response to Reply # 8

>Catholics don't really go to much into the old testament...
>
>so.. all of that stuff about images and things they don't
>apply It to them.

Almost every Mass contains a passage from the Old Testament, and a Psalm, as a shadow of the light of the New Testament. It's incredible how many connections there are, and how many different ways the Old Testament can be applied to Christ's teachings.

See above for the note on images.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 07:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Catholic School had me LOST, since I came up Protestant."
In response to Reply # 8

I mean LOST lost. When they told me that Adam and Eve was "symbolic" and I said "wait..........so it didn't happen?" and they didn't want to just blatantly tell me, "no, it didn't," I was the most confused ever.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 12:53 PM

32. "RE: Catholic School had me LOST, since I came up Protestant."
In response to Reply # 20

>I mean LOST lost. When they told me that Adam and Eve was
>"symbolic" and I said "wait..........so it didn't happen?" and
>they didn't want to just blatantly tell me, "no, it didn't," I
>was the most confused ever.

I'm not sure there is an explicit teaching on Adam and Eve, though Catholics are inclined to believe yes, there was an actual Adam and yes, there was an actual Eve.

From the Catechism:

375 The Church, interpreting the symbolism of biblical language in an authentic way, in the light of the New Testament and Tradition, teaches that our first parents, Adam and Eve, were constituted in an original "state of holiness and justice". This grace of original holiness was "to share in. . .divine life".

But far more important than a true understanding of the history is a true understanding of what it means for us. Man was made perfect. Man chose evil. Man is forever stained with a fallen nature. Christ redeemed Man.

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 05:24 PM

16. "what are your thoughts on climate change?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-27-16 05:45 PM by SooperEgo

?

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 06:35 PM

19. "The past three popes have affirmed its urgency as a moral issue"
In response to Reply # 16

Pope Francis has, rightly, been given a lot of credit for framing an entire encyclical (Laudato Si') around the issue. But Benedict XVI was thoroughly a theologian and saw unpacking the issues around the environment and our custody of the earth as a natural part of our understanding of God as creator.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 06:50 AM

25. "It's no good"
In response to Reply # 16

And we should probably do something about it. But Pope Francis' encyclical is very nuanced and much more broadly defined than a simple environmental problem. A lot of people are pretty shocked about his invocation of prostitution, abortion, euthanasia, and contraception into his piece.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 09:13 AM

29. "do you go to confession, do hail marys etc?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-28-16 09:13 AM by KiloMcG

how often do you attend mass?

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 12:56 PM

33. "RE: do you go to confession, do hail marys etc?"
In response to Reply # 29

>how often do you attend mass?

I go to confession. Not as often as I should.

I say the Hail Mary daily. Again, not as often as I should. I'd like to get into the habit of praying the Rosary more often.

I attend Mass every Sunday and on holy days of obligation.

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 11:59 AM

30. "Priests and Nuns"
In response to Reply # 0

Where did the idea come about of priests and nuns who are not allowed to marry and have children come about?

Also please explain The Trinity

Do you believe in Heaven and Hell?

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

tappenzee
19839 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 01:05 PM

35. "RE: Priests and Nuns"
In response to Reply # 30

>Where did the idea come about of priests and nuns who are not
>allowed to marry and have children come about?

This is a tradition of the Latin/Roman rite, which is not practiced in the Eastern Tradition. In a nutshell, Christ's apostles did not marry or have children, and neither should their apostolic successors. See Corinthians .

>
>
>Also please explain The Trinity

Sure. We believe in one God in three distinct persons, who are eternal and each fully express the one indivisible divine nature. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

>
>Do you believe in Heaven and Hell?

Of course.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13049893 Previous topic | Next topic