Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13043437

Subject: "WNBA players wear BLM/Dallas5 tshirts...off duty cops walk out " Previous topic | Next topic
Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"WNBA players wear BLM/Dallas5 tshirts...off duty cops walk out "

I'm gonna assume the officers didn't see the dallas shield on the back. Either way, big doofuses.

http://www.mcclatchy-wires.com/wire_photos/s7m72u/picture89156457/ALTERNATES/FREE_1140/Police%20Shootings%20Officer%20Walkout.JPEG

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/us/wnba-minnesota-lynx-black-lives-matter-shirts/

(CNN)Four Minnesota Lynx players stood solemnly at a press conference, showing the Black Lives Matter T-shirts their team was about to wear on the court.

It wasn't long before the statement, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, made four off-duty officers walk off the job.
Members of the reigning WNBA champions wore the black-and-white shirts during warm-ups before a game Saturday against the Dallas Wings.

"Change starts with us. Justice & accountability," the front of the shirts said. On the back, the T-shirts showed the names of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, two African-American men killed by police last week. It also displayed the Dallas Police Department emblem and the phrase, "Black Lives Matter."

"We as a nation can decide to stand up for what is right, no matter your race, background or social status," forward Maya Moore told reporters. "It is time that we take a deep look at our ability to be compassionate and empathetic to those suffering from the problems that are deep within our society. Again, this is a human issue, and we need to speak out for change together."

Union: Other officers may follow suit

The message reportedly didn't sit well with Minneapolis officers who were working off-duty, providing security at the event.
Four of them walked off the job that night and removed themselves from a list of officers working future games, according to the Star Tribune, which cited a local police union leader.
Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, did not immediately respond to a request from CNN for comment.

In an interview with the Star Tribune, he praised the officers' move, adding that others may follow suit.
Kroll criticized the Lynx players, the Star Tribune said.
"Rushing to judgment before the facts are in is unwarranted and reckless," he said, according to the newspaper.

In a statement Tuesday, Minneapolis police Chief Janeé Harteau said she understands how the off-duty officers felt but does not condone their actions.

"Although these officers were working on behalf of the Lynx, when wearing a Minneapolis Police uniform I expect all officers to adhere to our core values and to honor their oath of office," she said.
"Walking off the job and defaulting on their contractual obligation to provide a service to the Lynx does not conform to the expectations held by the public for the uniform these officers wear."

But police, Harteau said, deserve and need public support.
"While I do not condone the actions of the officers, I realize how every member of law enforcement throughout this country, including myself, is feeling right now," she said. "Everyone is hurting and we all need to find a way to come together. I am proud of our profession and the service our officers provide on a daily basis."

'Scared for my brothers and sisters'

The players told reporters that their shirts aimed to honor those who lost their lives in the past week, and to call for an end to racial profiling and senseless violence, CNN affiliate WCCO-TV in Minneapolis reported.

Moore praised the Dallas police for its training and other efforts to lower officer-involved shootings, according to WCCO.
"Racism and unjust phobic fear of black males and disregard of black females is very real," Lynx player Rebekkah Brunson said. "When we look at the facts, it's hard to deny that there's a real problem in our society. I'm scared for my brothers and sisters, my nieces and nephews, my future son or daughter."

In a statement Tuesday, the team said it had been made aware of the off-duty officers' concerns.

"While our players' message mourned the loss of life due to last week's shootings, we respect the right of those individual officers to express their own beliefs in their own way," the Lynx said. "At no time was the safety of our game in question as Target Center staffs extra personnel for each and every game. The Lynx and the entire WNBA have been saddened by the recent shootings in Dallas, Baton Rouge, and St. Paul. We continue to urge a constructive discussion about the issues raised by these tragedies."

Athletes and activism

It isn't the first time sports stars have added their voices to a chorus of protesters speaking out over police violence.
In 2014, after a New York grand jury decided not to indict an officer in the death of Eric Garner, athletes across the United States wore T-shirts emblazoned with Garner's last words, "I can't breathe."
Earlier that year, five players from the St. Louis Rams walked onto the football field with their palms in the air, demonstrating the "hands up, don't shoot" gesture that protesters used in demonstrations over the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
cops be too emotional and too irrational
Jul 13th 2016
Yup.
Jul 13th 2016
I would not want to be a cop right now...
Jul 13th 2016
Being a cop ain't for everyone. If they feel that way they shouldn't be ...
Jul 13th 2016
yeah...in theory.
Jul 13th 2016
its part of the job
Jul 13th 2016
people on both sides are, until people attempt to try see things from th...
Jul 13th 2016
nah, the biggest issue is that police are quick to defend their own
Jul 13th 2016
yup, somehow condemning 1 turned into condemning all
Jul 13th 2016
the first mistake is stereotyping all cops and thinking that they all...
Jul 13th 2016
      RE: the first mistake is stereotyping all cops and thinking that they al...
Jul 13th 2016
      RE: the first mistake is stereotyping all cops and thinking that they al...
Jul 13th 2016
           You basically said the police are mostly ignorant fearful and corrupt
Jul 13th 2016
                So when are you putting in your application?
Jul 13th 2016
                     Like I said man -- why would I want to be part of a corrupt entity
Jul 13th 2016
                          so what's your solution?
Jul 13th 2016
                               Avoidance by any means necessary
Jul 13th 2016
      i don't think people think that all cops are racists, hate blacks, don't
Jul 13th 2016
      RE: i don't think people think that all cops are racists, hate blacks, d...
Jul 13th 2016
           nah its not like other jobs
Jul 13th 2016
           You are absolutely right and that is a whole different issue, like I sai...
Jul 13th 2016
                but that's the whole point of BLM lol
Jul 13th 2016
                     RE: but that's the whole point of BLM lol
Jul 13th 2016
                          And people in BLM agree that change needs to come from the top
Jul 13th 2016
                               You're speaking like BLM is a structured organization and its not....
Jul 13th 2016
                                    you said people on both sides needs to see both perspectives
Jul 13th 2016
                                         so what's the solution? Fire all the cops?
Jul 13th 2016
                                              fire the bad ones who get caught
Jul 13th 2016
                                              Right? Kind leads to the conclusion that the dirtiest are at the top,
Jul 13th 2016
                                              they are, in a lot of big city departments some of the people at the top...
Jul 13th 2016
                                                   So basically it's broken beyond repair.
Jul 13th 2016
                                                        it all goes back accountability, local governments have to hold them...
Jul 13th 2016
                                                             and that speaks to the fear and lack of value most whites have for black...
Jul 13th 2016
                                              who's going to fire them?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                   If the system worked it would be their superiors
Jul 13th 2016
                                              make substantive change w/in police culture.
Jul 13th 2016
                                              Please run for some kind of office. I will move to your state and vote.
Jul 13th 2016
                                              ^^^^all of this
Jul 13th 2016
                                              you're like Bernie Sanders, great ideas, but how do we get there?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                   who would you rather die at the hands of? The police or one of your own?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                   neither, but the reality is Im probably 100 times more like to be killed...
Jul 13th 2016
                                                        do you live in a war zone?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                             RE: do you live in a war zone?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                             That's a violent neighborhood not a warzone. Who makes you stay?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                             RE: That's a violent neighborhood not a warzone. Who makes you stay?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                             High murder rates do not a warzone make
Jul 13th 2016
                                                   RE: you're like Bernie Sanders, great ideas, but how do we get there?
Jul 13th 2016
                                                        Thank you So What -- that War Zone remark was absurd
Jul 13th 2016
Jul 13th 2016
Jul 13th 2016
                                              so what answered this below better than i would have, but i'm still
Jul 13th 2016
                                                   I said in a another post that mysteriously got deleted, but black lives....
Jul 14th 2016
           if there are just a few bad apples standing up shouldn't be a big deal
Jul 13th 2016
                So when are you kicking off the race war?
Jul 13th 2016
                     We've been in a 397 year long race war sometimes hot sometimes cold
Jul 13th 2016
                          who do you think is going to win?
Jul 13th 2016
                               If we can handle 337 years of abuse we can handle anything
Jul 13th 2016
                                    okayplayer. n/m
Jul 13th 2016
      You think Philandro didn't want to go home at the end of the day?
Jul 13th 2016
      its funny that he says both sides needs to see each other's
Jul 13th 2016
      I figured most black people here know the pov of black people.
Jul 13th 2016
      RE: You think Philandro didn't want to go home at the end of the day?
Jul 13th 2016
           Help us understand how a mofo gets pulled over for having a wide nose?
Jul 13th 2016
           Nobody is justifying any of that.
Jul 13th 2016
                Okay..lowering bar. Help us to understand. Go!
Jul 13th 2016
                you can focus on actionable issues or you can focus on being mad...
Jul 13th 2016
                     Neither of those has anything to do with understanding the other side
Jul 13th 2016
                          RE: Neither of those has anything to do with understanding the other sid...
Jul 13th 2016
                               thanks...that is the type of stuff where if OTHER COPS admitted
Jul 13th 2016
                Are you saying there's something wrong with it?
Jul 13th 2016
           so?
Jul 13th 2016
           RE: so?
Jul 13th 2016
                RE: so?
Jul 13th 2016
                     I agree with this 100%, but how do we get there?
Jul 13th 2016
                          convince prosecutors, judges and jurors that cops' fear is unreasonable.
Jul 13th 2016
                               How do you do that without damaging their white fragility?
Jul 13th 2016
                               Exactly. n/m
Jul 13th 2016
                               It has to be done without cynicism.
Jul 13th 2016
                                    yeah something like the brown eye / blue eye exercise
Jul 13th 2016
                               RE: convince prosecutors, judges and jurors that cops' fear is unreasona...
Jul 13th 2016
                                    there is no 'use of force law' AFAIK.
Jul 14th 2016
                                         yeah i think there are just use of force guidelines as established
Jul 14th 2016
           I'm sick of hearing about cops having a hard job
Jul 13th 2016
           So when are you putting in your application?
Jul 13th 2016
                for what? i dont want to be a cop
Jul 13th 2016
                     Exactly. n/m
Jul 13th 2016
           Black people do understand the other side -- they're scared of us.
Jul 13th 2016
                so when are you putting in your application?
Jul 13th 2016
                     Soap doesn't clean dirt. Dirt makes soap dirty and good cops get FIRED.
Jul 13th 2016
                          RE: Soap doesn't clean dirt. Dirt makes soap dirty and good cops get FIR...
Jul 13th 2016
                          You're right, I personally know ex-cops that were fired for trying to...
Jul 13th 2016
                               They should ask that question before joining. Is it worth my character?
Jul 13th 2016
      none of this excuses police brutality.
Jul 13th 2016
      This doesn't justify unarmed Blacks being 5 times as likely to be killed
Jul 14th 2016
+1
Jul 13th 2016
The issue isn't that complex though. Not complex at all really.
Jul 13th 2016
its complex in the sense that in order to resolve it there are multiple....
Jul 13th 2016
Not true. Race as a construct has to go away and that's impossible.
Jul 13th 2016
yup. too caught up in they feewings and their unreasonable fear.
Jul 13th 2016
Police brutality says you're right.
Jul 14th 2016
since when did BLM = fuck the police?
Jul 13th 2016
well, they think our lives don't matter so I would say....
Jul 13th 2016
Clearly, black people are scary....
Jul 13th 2016
The narrative is as old as the Stono rebellion
Jul 13th 2016
When they put the word 'Black' in the title
Jul 13th 2016
This 'Murica. Black is the opposite of white, so BLM = Anti-white-lives
Jul 13th 2016
      ^ well said
Jul 13th 2016
People swear "the majority are good cops". No, they're the biggest gang
Jul 13th 2016
NYPD == The Riffs
Jul 13th 2016
frats with oaths
Jul 13th 2016
Cops fall directly under Troops in the yt heirarchy..Dogs is above
Jul 13th 2016
Black lives were probably saved that night
Jul 13th 2016
lol... lovely reply
Jul 14th 2016
Thank you.....TheTruth, Cenario, SoWhat, Atillah, legs
Jul 13th 2016
yeah...
Jul 14th 2016

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "cops be too emotional and too irrational"
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Yup. "
In response to Reply # 1

IM NOT GONNA DO MY JOB AT THE BEYONCE CONCERT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE SHE WAS MEAN TO ME, etc

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I would not want to be a cop right now..."
In response to Reply # 1

either they'll be trigger happy or let a lot slide
they probably scared 😔

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:47 AM

6. "Being a cop ain't for everyone. If they feel that way they shouldn't be ..."
In response to Reply # 5

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 09:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "yeah...in theory."
In response to Reply # 6

in the present tho
many aren't going to quit...

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 09:05 AM

8. "its part of the job"
In response to Reply # 5

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 09:51 AM

10. "people on both sides are, until people attempt to try see things from th..."
In response to Reply # 1

opposing sides point of view on some extremely complex issues we'll never get anywhere.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:04 AM

11. "nah, the biggest issue is that police are quick to defend their own"
In response to Reply # 10

even when the available evidence points to unjustifiable force (or assist in covering up if involved). If other police can't look at a situation like Sterling or Garner and say 'that looks real bad', 'the officer should have handled that situation differently', 'that deadly force was unnecessary', just like they would if the killer was a non-police officer, than no real discussion can be had.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:41 AM

17. "yup, somehow condemning 1 turned into condemning all "
In response to Reply # 11

so we have cops defending or giving the benifit out dont even when they see video that shows the cop fucked up.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 12:02 PM

24. "the first mistake is stereotyping all cops and thinking that they all..."
In response to Reply # 11

think same when the reality is cops are real people from diverse backgrounds and their individual opinions on this issue are equally diverse.

At the same time, most cops are not too quick to judge another's cops actions because while its easy to armchair quarterback a situation after the fact and say what a cop should or should've have done, but when you're in the heat of the moment sometimes things go bad. Most cops have been in intense situations where there was a potential threat and weapons were drawn and the majority of the time those situations are diffused without violence. But in the back their minds they all know that a minor detail such as a sudden move by a individual and the situation could have ended up a whole lot differently and that haunts them. They look at a lot of these other situations and say that could have easily been me.

Most cops don't put their uniform on in the morning say "I'm going to kill somebody today." They just want to get their shift in and go home to their families at the end of the night. But stuff happens, they get into those intense situations, adrenaline is flowing, they get scared and things go bad. People say "If you're scared then you shouldn't be a cop!" Well that's easy to say but I don't see the people saying that signing up to be cops. The reality is in most municipalities police officers are not that highly paid, so we get what we get. Most departments are understaffed as it is and when they do find money to hire some new police officers its equally as hard to find quality candidates. There aren't many Rhodes scholars signing up to be cops. Most of the rank and file cops don't even have undergrad degrees. But people expect them to be these super-intuitive & intellectual geniuses and they aren't.

Back to those intense situations, like I said the majority of them are diffused without violence. But sometimes they aren't. Sometimes police officers get hurt, sometimes they get killed. While it doesn't happen every day it does happen. As a police officer every day you go into work you walk past pictures on the wall of officers from your dept. who have died in the line of duty. In training those names are drilled into your head and you are told what not to do so you don't end up the same way.

And as for the whole, "why don't the good cops tell on the bad cops?", the problem is even "good cops", white, black, brown or yellow, occasionally do things that are illegal or not "by the book" even though it may be a good reason. It may be lying in a statement to get a legitimate bad guy off the streets that's about to walk on a technicality. They may let somebody slide that should be locked up but their a good person that's trying to turn their life around and has a family to support. Or you may have done something illegal and had to lie to cover your own ass. Everybody makes mistakes. Most cops worst fear is being locked up with the criminals they locked up. So when you start pointing out the dirty shit the "bad" cops are doing you open yourself up for everything you've ever done to be scrutinized. Its basically career suicide and you could be putting your life on the line as well.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 12:16 PM

25. "RE: the first mistake is stereotyping all cops and thinking that they al..."
In response to Reply # 24

>And as for the whole, "why don't the good cops tell on the bad
>cops?", the problem is even "good cops", white, black, brown
>or yellow, occasionally do things that are illegal or not "by
>the book" even though it may be a good reason. It may be lying
>in a statement to get a legitimate bad guy off the streets
>that's about to walk on a technicality. They may let somebody
>slide that should be locked up but their a good person that's
>trying to turn their life around and has a family to support.
>Or you may have done something illegal and had to lie to cover
>your own ass. Everybody makes mistakes. Most cops worst fear
>is being locked up with the criminals they locked up. So when
>you start pointing out the dirty shit the "bad" cops are doing
>you open yourself up for everything you've ever done to be
>scrutinized. Its basically career suicide and you could be
>putting your life on the line as well.
>
>

this is that bullshit we are talking about

if they are doing enough to be locked up then they aren't good cops.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 12:36 PM

26. "RE: the first mistake is stereotyping all cops and thinking that they al..."
In response to Reply # 25

>
>>And as for the whole, "why don't the good cops tell on the
>bad
>>cops?", the problem is even "good cops", white, black, brown
>>or yellow, occasionally do things that are illegal or not
>"by
>>the book" even though it may be a good reason. It may be
>lying
>>in a statement to get a legitimate bad guy off the streets
>>that's about to walk on a technicality. They may let
>somebody
>>slide that should be locked up but their a good person
>that's
>>trying to turn their life around and has a family to
>support.
>>Or you may have done something illegal and had to lie to
>cover
>>your own ass. Everybody makes mistakes. Most cops worst fear
>>is being locked up with the criminals they locked up. So
>when
>>you start pointing out the dirty shit the "bad" cops are
>doing
>>you open yourself up for everything you've ever done to be
>>scrutinized. Its basically career suicide and you could be
>>putting your life on the line as well.
>>
>>
>
>this is that bullshit we are talking about
>
>if they are doing enough to be locked up then they aren't good
>cops.

That's reality especially for cops working in high crime areas in major cities. I know the Wire was a tv show but it was based on real people and even the ones that were portrayed as "good cops" occasionally crossed the line. Sometimes they do what they have to do for a greater good. Or sometimes they get drawn in early. We've all seen in movies and tv shows how a young rookie cop is paired with an old veteran cop and they say "screw everything they taught you in the academy, this is how you survive in the streets". It starts with small stuff like falsifying statements and escalates into bigger things. They may get you to lie to cover somebody else's ass. They you get put in a bad situation and they lie for you to cover your ass. Then you're in, in some respects it is like a gang. When you decide something its not right and want to tell, they'll be like "remember when you did A, B, & C and what we did for you?" Its like an abusive, manipulative relationship.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:07 PM

57. "You basically said the police are mostly ignorant fearful and corrupt"
In response to Reply # 26
Wed Jul-13-16 03:09 PM by Atillah Moor

and even that doesn't explain for areas like Fergusson where the police were basically extorting the town via tickets to subsidize their department. Shit like that is beyond corrupt -- it's straight up evil.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:19 PM

62. "So when are you putting in your application?"
In response to Reply # 57

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:47 PM

75. "Like I said man -- why would I want to be part of a corrupt entity "
In response to Reply # 62
Wed Jul-13-16 03:47 PM by Atillah Moor

with a longstanding anti-black history? LOL AND I could still get killed by a cop AS A COP!

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:01 PM

86. "so what's your solution?"
In response to Reply # 75

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:12 PM

91. "Avoidance by any means necessary"
In response to Reply # 86

and if you get pulled over or stopped while on foot ask for the handcuffs I guess. Seems like you may be safer in the station.

That's what I'm doing anyway.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 12:36 PM

27. "i don't think people think that all cops are racists, hate blacks, don't"

know how to diffuse a situation. etc.

>think same when the reality is cops are real people from
>diverse backgrounds and their individual opinions on this
>issue are equally diverse.
>
>At the same time, most cops are not too quick to judge
>another's cops actions because while its easy to armchair
>quarterback a situation after the fact and say what a cop
>should or should've have done, but when you're in the heat of
>the moment sometimes things go bad. Most cops have been in
>intense situations where there was a potential threat and
>weapons were drawn and the majority of the time those
>situations are diffused without violence. But in the back
>their minds they all know that a minor detail such as a sudden
>move by a individual and the situation could have ended up a
>whole lot differently and that haunts them. They look at a lot
>of these other situations and say that could have easily been
>me.

Do they show that same thought, benefit of the doubt, restraint in judgment when they are discussing the victim (dead black male's perspective or point of view)?

>
>Most cops don't put their uniform on in the morning say "I'm
>going to kill somebody today." They just want to get their
>shift in and go home to their families at the end of the
>night. But stuff happens, they get into those intense
>situations, adrenaline is flowing, they get scared and things
>go bad. People say "If you're scared then you shouldn't be a
>cop!" Well that's easy to say but I don't see the people
>saying that signing up to be cops.

1) So do those 'most cops' speak out or do anything about the minority of cops that do have bad thoughts, motives, actions, etc.

2) Being scared is a justification for taking someone's life? If a licensed gun owner killed a cop bc 'stuff happens, they get into those intense
situations, adrenaline is flowing, they get scared and things
go bad' would other officers and/or you cop pleas for the killer?

The reality is in most
>municipalities police officers are not that highly paid, so we
>get what we get. Most departments are understaffed as it is
>and when they do find money to hire some new police officers
>its equally as hard to find quality candidates. There aren't
>many Rhodes scholars signing up to be cops. Most of the rank
>and file cops don't even have undergrad degrees. But people
>expect them to be these super-intuitive & intellectual
>geniuses and they aren't.

I suppose that's fair. What does that have to do with when they kill someone unjustifiably? There are alot of dumb criminals and murderers out there. Do cops and you make excuse them for killing others bc they are dumb?
>
>Back to those intense situations, like I said the majority of
>them are diffused without violence. But sometimes they aren't.
>Sometimes police officers get hurt, sometimes they get killed.
>While it doesn't happen every day it does happen. As a police
>officer every day you go into work you walk past pictures on
>the wall of officers from your dept. who have died in the line
>of duty. In training those names are drilled into your head
>and you are told what not to do so you don't end up the same
>way.

What about when the officers don't follow their training? Like when they use illegal chokeholds(garner), tackling a non-violent suspect by a plainclothes officer(blake), beginning interaction with a possibly licensed citizen by wrestling them to the ground(sterling), lie and say the suspect pulled out his gun (sterling) do other cops or you talk about how they went against their training.

>
>And as for the whole, "why don't the good cops tell on the bad
>cops?", the problem is even "good cops", white, black, brown
>or yellow, occasionally do things that are illegal or not "by
>the book" even though it may be a good reason. It may be lying
>in a statement to get a legitimate bad guy off the streets
>that's about to walk on a technicality. They may let somebody
>slide that should be locked up but their a good person that's
>trying to turn their life around and has a family to support.
>Or you may have done something illegal and had to lie to cover
>your own ass. Everybody makes mistakes. Most cops worst fear
>is being locked up with the criminals they locked up. So when
>you start pointing out the dirty shit the "bad" cops are doing
>you open yourself up for everything you've ever done to be
>scrutinized. Its basically career suicide and you could be
>putting your life on the line as well.

So a cop may not do the right thing in reference to another cop taking an innocent person's life bc they have their own dirt they don't want uncovered? How is that helping the perspective i should have of a police officer?
>
>

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:08 PM

29. "RE: i don't think people think that all cops are racists, hate blacks, d..."
In response to Reply # 27

>know how to diffuse a situation. etc.
>
>>think same when the reality is cops are real people from
>>diverse backgrounds and their individual opinions on this
>>issue are equally diverse.
>>
>>At the same time, most cops are not too quick to judge
>>another's cops actions because while its easy to armchair
>>quarterback a situation after the fact and say what a cop
>>should or should've have done, but when you're in the heat
>of
>>the moment sometimes things go bad. Most cops have been in
>>intense situations where there was a potential threat and
>>weapons were drawn and the majority of the time those
>>situations are diffused without violence. But in the back
>>their minds they all know that a minor detail such as a
>sudden
>>move by a individual and the situation could have ended up a
>>whole lot differently and that haunts them. They look at a
>lot
>>of these other situations and say that could have easily
>been
>>me.
>
>Do they show that same thought, benefit of the doubt,
>restraint in judgment when they are discussing the victim
>(dead black male's perspective or point of view)?
>
>>
>>Most cops don't put their uniform on in the morning say "I'm
>>going to kill somebody today." They just want to get their
>>shift in and go home to their families at the end of the
>>night. But stuff happens, they get into those intense
>>situations, adrenaline is flowing, they get scared and
>things
>>go bad. People say "If you're scared then you shouldn't be a
>>cop!" Well that's easy to say but I don't see the people
>>saying that signing up to be cops.
>
>1) So do those 'most cops' speak out or do anything about the
>minority of cops that do have bad thoughts, motives, actions,
>etc.
>
>2) Being scared is a justification for taking someone's life?
>If a licensed gun owner killed a cop bc 'stuff happens, they
>get into those intense
>situations, adrenaline is flowing, they get scared and things
>go bad' would other officers and/or you cop pleas for the
>killer?

I'm not justifying anything, I'm just saying what happens.

>The reality is in most
>>municipalities police officers are not that highly paid, so
>we
>>get what we get. Most departments are understaffed as it is
>>and when they do find money to hire some new police officers
>>its equally as hard to find quality candidates. There aren't
>>many Rhodes scholars signing up to be cops. Most of the rank
>>and file cops don't even have undergrad degrees. But people
>>expect them to be these super-intuitive & intellectual
>>geniuses and they aren't.
>
>I suppose that's fair. What does that have to do with when
>they kill someone unjustifiably? There are alot of dumb
>criminals and murderers out there. Do cops and you make excuse
>them for killing others bc they are dumb?

I'm not justifying anything, I'm just saying what happens.

>>
>>Back to those intense situations, like I said the majority
>of
>>them are diffused without violence. But sometimes they
>aren't.
>>Sometimes police officers get hurt, sometimes they get
>killed.
>>While it doesn't happen every day it does happen. As a
>police
>>officer every day you go into work you walk past pictures on
>>the wall of officers from your dept. who have died in the
>line
>>of duty. In training those names are drilled into your head
>>and you are told what not to do so you don't end up the same
>>way.
>
>What about when the officers don't follow their training? Like
>when they use illegal chokeholds(garner), tackling a
>non-violent suspect by a plainclothes officer(blake),
>beginning interaction with a possibly licensed citizen by
>wrestling them to the ground(sterling), lie and say the
>suspect pulled out his gun (sterling) do other cops or you
>talk about how they went against their training.

A police officer is like any other job, you people that try to do things the right way you have some screws up. You have people that are racists who intimated when they're in a confrontation with a large black mad and lose their shit. You have cowboys with an ego and something to prove. Like I said above, police officers are not necessarily the cream of the crop from society. A lot of them are ex-military guys looking for an Adrenalin. Some of them are people that couldn't get into the military for whatever reason so for them being a cop is next best thing.

>>
>>And as for the whole, "why don't the good cops tell on the
>bad
>>cops?", the problem is even "good cops", white, black, brown
>>or yellow, occasionally do things that are illegal or not
>"by
>>the book" even though it may be a good reason. It may be
>lying
>>in a statement to get a legitimate bad guy off the streets
>>that's about to walk on a technicality. They may let
>somebody
>>slide that should be locked up but their a good person
>that's
>>trying to turn their life around and has a family to
>support.
>>Or you may have done something illegal and had to lie to
>cover
>>your own ass. Everybody makes mistakes. Most cops worst fear
>>is being locked up with the criminals they locked up. So
>when
>>you start pointing out the dirty shit the "bad" cops are
>doing
>>you open yourself up for everything you've ever done to be
>>scrutinized. Its basically career suicide and you could be
>>putting your life on the line as well.
>
>So a cop may not do the right thing in reference to another
>cop taking an innocent person's life bc they have their own
>dirt they don't want uncovered? How is that helping the
>perspective i should have of a police officer?

It's hard to understand for some people when its not their livelihood and/or potentially their life on the line.

Cops don't snitch for some of the same reasons people in the hood don't snitch, because you still have to live/work there and fear retaliation.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:12 PM

31. "nah its not like other jobs"
In response to Reply # 29
Wed Jul-13-16 01:12 PM by Cenario

>A police officer is like any other job, you people that try to do things the right way you have some screws up. You have people that are racists who intimated when they're in a confrontation with a large black mad and lose their shit. You have cowboys with an ego and something to prove. Like I said above, police officers are not necessarily the cream of the crop from society. A lot of them are ex-military guys looking for an Adrenalin. Some of them are people that couldn't get into the military for whatever reason so for them being a cop is next best thing.

Employees of other jobs get held accountable for their actions, especially if their actions results in the loss of an innocent life. In fact, BLM wants police officers to be treated like every other individual that takes a life unjustifiably.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:28 PM

33. "You are absolutely right and that is a whole different issue, like I sai..."
In response to Reply # 31

this thing is very complex on multiple levels. Is that the cops fault or the people that should be holding them accountable?

>Employees of other jobs get held accountable for their
>actions, especially if their actions results in the loss of an
>innocent life. In fact, BLM wants police officers to be
>treated like every other individual that takes a life
>unjustifiably.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:50 PM

37. "but that's the whole point of BLM lol"
In response to Reply # 33

And I understand your point and reasons why 'good' cops don't take a stand against the bad ones, but why would anyone continue to want to be part of a group that willfully looks past the wrong deeds of others, especially when it results in the loss of innocent lives.

If you decide that thats what you want to do for whatever reason, you can't be upset if people want to lump you in with the really rotten apples when you attempt to turn a blind eye or only give the officer's the benefit of the doubt.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:05 PM

41. "RE: but that's the whole point of BLM lol"
In response to Reply # 37

>And I understand your point and reasons why 'good' cops don't
>take a stand against the bad ones, but why would anyone
>continue to want to be part of a group that willfully looks
>past the wrong deeds of others, especially when it results in
>the loss of innocent lives.
>
>If you decide that thats what you want to do for whatever
>reason, you can't be upset if people want to lump you in with
>the really rotten apples when you attempt to turn a blind eye
>or only give the officer's the benefit of the doubt.

Again you're right, that's why a lot of people leave law enforcement but their spot will probably end up getting filled by some racist hung-ho cowboy. Change is going to have to come from the top.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:21 PM

47. "And people in BLM agree that change needs to come from the top"
In response to Reply # 41

as well.

But i guess what i'm missing is what different perspective do non-cops or BLM need to have in order for progress to be made? To understand that alot of cops aren't that smart or that they arent paid that well? How should that effect them wanting justice when someone is murdered?

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:28 PM

50. "You're speaking like BLM is a structured organization and its not...."
In response to Reply # 47

>as well.
>
>But i guess what i'm missing is what different perspective do
>non-cops or BLM need to have in order for progress to be made?
>To understand that alot of cops aren't that smart or that they
>arent paid that well? How should that effect them wanting
>justice when someone is murdered?

Different people waving the BLM banner have different agendas.

Bottom line is people can "demand" whatever they want, they could March up and down the street every day, we can have a "race war", but where has that gotten us thus far?

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:34 PM

53. "you said people on both sides needs to see both perspectives"
In response to Reply # 50

what perspective do non-cops need to have in order for progress to be made?

To understand that alot of cops aren't that smart or that they arent paid that well? How should that effect them wanting justice when someone is murdered?

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:18 PM

61. "so what's the solution? Fire all the cops?"
In response to Reply # 53

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:31 PM

69. "fire the bad ones who get caught"
In response to Reply # 61

why is this so hard for you and cop lovers to understand?

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:41 PM

72. "Right? Kind leads to the conclusion that the dirtiest are at the top, "
In response to Reply # 69

How hard is it to pick out the "handful" of bad apples and get rid of them unless of course -- you don't give a shit.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:50 PM

77. "they are, in a lot of big city departments some of the people at the top..."
In response to Reply # 72

have done the most dirt, that's how they got there in the first place.

You're not going to be cop in a major city for 20+ years and no crossed the line at least once or twice. You get to digging into other peoples shit they will start digging in yours. The police unions in a lot of major cities have a lot of power.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:57 PM

82. "So basically it's broken beyond repair."
In response to Reply # 77

If a man can be executed in front of his family for being honest and following orders then there is no hope.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:01 PM

85. "it all goes back accountability, local governments have to hold them..."
In response to Reply # 82

accountable, but actually doing that is easier said than done.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:08 PM

88. "and that speaks to the fear and lack of value most whites have for black..."
In response to Reply # 85
Wed Jul-13-16 04:08 PM by Atillah Moor

and no amount of prayer, marching, sermons, speeches, petitions, or violence is ever going to change that. So in reality the system doesn't change until white culture changes and ain't nobody got time for that.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:42 PM

73. "who's going to fire them?"
In response to Reply # 69

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:51 PM

78. "If the system worked it would be their superiors "
In response to Reply # 73

but since it's broken I guess the gun manufacturers.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:52 PM

80. "make substantive change w/in police culture."

1. less fear.

cops charged w/violent offenses against civilians are typically acquitted after they raise self defense claiming they were afraid for their lives when they committed some violent act against a civilian. juries, judges and prosecutors too often agree w/the cops that their fear was reasonable and their act justified. meanwhile we civilians are stunned b/c we tend to disagree that the cop reasonably feared for his/her life at the time the cop acted violently. as an example - back in 2012 an unarmed man and woman were shot 137 times by Cleveland police after a car chase. one officer climbed on the hood of the car and fired 49 shots through the windshield after all other officers had stopped shooting. he was the only officer charged criminally. he was acquitted in part b/c the judge found that the officer feared for his life. i think that's absurd.

why are they so scared of us? we need to make them less scared of us. b/c their fear of us is costly. we know that this fear of us has existed for centuries - and it reaches far beyond police and police culture, of course. b/c the judges and jurors who agree w/these cops are usually civilians. they're scared of us too. outrageously so.

2. more protection for whistle blowers.

cops know which of their fellow officers are the 'bad' cops. as you said - too many officers are afraid to speak out against these 'bad' cops b/c of the likelihood of retribution. until that changes then the protection for the 'bad' cops will remain.

3. less war talk.

too many officers get pumped full of nonsense talk about the communities they SERVE being warzones. it becomes too easy for them to see the citizens they are duty bound to SERVE as enemy combatants. of course, there's little or no duty of any kind owed to an active enemy combatant in a war zone. if cops think we're at war w/them b/c their superiors and union leaders and fellow officers tell them so it becomes too easy for them to act against citizens combatively. it becomes too easy for them to forgo deescalation. i think that warmongering does cops a disservice as it pits them against us. it's gotta either go or at least be significantly ramped down.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:55 PM

81. "Please run for some kind of office. I will move to your state and vote."
In response to Reply # 80

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:59 PM

83. "^^^^all of this"

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:10 PM

89. "you're like Bernie Sanders, great ideas, but how do we get there?"

>why are they so scared of us? we need to make them less
>scared of us. b/c their fear of us is costly.

Yep, but how do we do this?

>2. more protection for whistle blowers.
>
>cops know which of their fellow officers are the 'bad' cops.
>as you said - too many officers are afraid to speak out
>against these 'bad' cops b/c of the likelihood of retribution.
> until that changes then the protection for the 'bad' cops
>will remain.

Yep, but who's going to protect them? The corrupt chief? The corrupt prosecutor?

>3. less war talk.
>
>too many officers get pumped full of nonsense talk about the
>communities they SERVE being warzones. it becomes too easy
>for them to see the citizens they are duty bound to SERVE as
>enemy combatants. of course, there's little or no duty of any
>kind owed to an active enemy combatant in a war zone. if cops
>think we're at war w/them b/c their superiors and union
>leaders and fellow officers tell them so it becomes too easy
>for them to act against citizens combatively. it becomes too
>easy for them to forgo deescalation. i think that
>warmongering does cops a disservice as it pits them against
>us. it's gotta either go or at least be significantly ramped
>down.

Yep, but a lot of our communities ARE war zones. The cops see this every day when they're called to help scrape somebody's remains off the ground after they've been killed by someone else in the community. You see stuff like that every day you either go crazy or become desensitized.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:14 PM

92. "who would you rather die at the hands of? The police or one of your own?"
In response to Reply # 89
Wed Jul-13-16 04:15 PM by Atillah Moor

We know the police will get off.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:46 PM

95. "neither, but the reality is Im probably 100 times more like to be killed..."
In response to Reply # 92

by another black man than a white police officer.

>We know the police will get off.

Who cares? either way I'm dead, if its a cop maybe my family will get some money out of it.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:49 PM

96. "do you live in a war zone?"
In response to Reply # 95

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:55 PM

99. "RE: do you live in a war zone?"
In response to Reply # 96

http://www.kmov.com/story/32373246/6-killed-6-injured-in-shootings-in-st-louis-over-fourth-of-july-weekend

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 05:08 PM

101. "That's a violent neighborhood not a warzone. Who makes you stay?"
In response to Reply # 99

Here is a warzone (You'll note the lack of amenities that I'm certain you still have access to despite the bombs and mortar fire)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/12/15/12/2F5DBF1000000578-3360730-image-a-46_1450181263230.jpg

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 05:54 PM

104. "RE: That's a violent neighborhood not a warzone. Who makes you stay?"
In response to Reply # 101

http://fox2now.com/2016/02/29/the-30-murder-capitals-in-the-u-s/

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:06 PM

106. "High murder rates do not a warzone make"
In response to Reply # 104

Maybe your community needs leaders? When are you going to turn in your application?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:20 PM

93. "RE: you're like Bernie Sanders, great ideas, but how do we get there?"
In response to Reply # 89

>>why are they so scared of us? we need to make them less
>>scared of us. b/c their fear of us is costly.
>
>Yep, but how do we do this?

education. we teach cops about the root of the fear of black ppl and show them that it's rooted in race prejudice dating back to the chattel slavery era.

>>2. more protection for whistle blowers.
>>
>>cops know which of their fellow officers are the 'bad' cops.
>
>>as you said - too many officers are afraid to speak out
>>against these 'bad' cops b/c of the likelihood of
>retribution.
>> until that changes then the protection for the 'bad' cops
>>will remain.
>
>Yep, but who's going to protect them? The corrupt chief? The
>corrupt prosecutor?

i don't assume all of those ppl are necessarily corrupt. but if they are then they get protection from federal agencies. maybe by having the Whistle Blower Protection Act extended to cover state, county and municipal police. or maybe the various states can create their own protection schemes where whistle blowers can file claims and if they're retaliated against then their departments would face consequences in state court - criminal or civil.

>Yep, but a lot of our communities ARE war zones.

no. no they are not. those communities are NOT war zones.

The cops see
>this every day when they're called to help scrape somebody's
>remains off the ground after they've been killed by someone
>else in the community.

so what? that's part of the job.

You see stuff like that every day you
>either go crazy or become desensitized.

then they should get out of the job.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:28 PM

94. "Thank you So What -- that War Zone remark was absurd "
In response to Reply # 93

Homie has racial-diabetes from drinking all of that damn kool aid.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:53 PM

97. "RE: you're like Bernie Sanders, great ideas, but how do we get there?"
In response to Reply # 93

>>>why are they so scared of us? we need to make them less
>>>scared of us. b/c their fear of us is costly.
>>
>>Yep, but how do we do this?
>
>education. we teach cops about the root of the fear of black
>ppl and show them that it's rooted in race prejudice dating
>back to the chattel slavery era.

do you honestly think the real hardcore racists are going care about any of that?

>
>>>2. more protection for whistle blowers.
>>>
>>>cops know which of their fellow officers are the 'bad'
>cops.
>>
>>>as you said - too many officers are afraid to speak out
>>>against these 'bad' cops b/c of the likelihood of
>>retribution.
>>> until that changes then the protection for the 'bad' cops
>>>will remain.
>>
>>Yep, but who's going to protect them? The corrupt chief? The
>>corrupt prosecutor?
>
>i don't assume all of those ppl are necessarily corrupt.

how do you think the cops are getting away with what they do?

>but
>if they are then they get protection from federal agencies.
>maybe by having the Whistle Blower Protection Act extended to
>cover state, county and municipal police. or maybe the
>various states can create their own protection schemes where
>whistle blowers can file claims and if they're retaliated
>against then their departments would face consequences in
>state court - criminal or civil.

Sounds good, but things like retaliation can be very difficult to prove.

>>Yep, but a lot of our communities ARE war zones.
>
>no. no they are not. those communities are NOT war zones.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-82-shot-14-killed-in-chicago-4th-of-july-weekend-shootings/

> The cops see
>>this every day when they're called to help scrape somebody's
>>remains off the ground after they've been killed by someone
>>else in the community.
>
>so what? that's part of the job.
>
> You see stuff like that every day you
>>either go crazy or become desensitized.
>
>then they should get out of the job.

and who's going to take their place? You?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 05:17 PM

102. "RE: you're like Bernie Sanders, great ideas, but how do we get there?"
In response to Reply # 97
Wed Jul-13-16 05:19 PM by SoWhat

>do you honestly think the real hardcore racists are going care
>about any of that?

I'm not talking about the 'real hardcore racists'. A cop doesn't have to be racist to harbor an unreasonable fear of black civilians. The hardcore racists should be drummed out of the force, period. The rest need to be taught to be mindful of the pervasiveness of unreasonable fear of the ppl they are bound to serve.

>>>>2. more protection for whistle blowers.
>>>>
>>>>cops know which of their fellow officers are the 'bad'
>>cops.
>>>
>>>>as you said - too many officers are afraid to speak out
>>>>against these 'bad' cops b/c of the likelihood of
>>>retribution.
>>>> until that changes then the protection for the 'bad' cops
>>>>will remain.
>>>
>>>Yep, but who's going to protect them? The corrupt chief?
>The
>>>corrupt prosecutor?
>>
>>i don't assume all of those ppl are necessarily corrupt.
>
>how do you think the cops are getting away with what they do?

They're not all corrupt. Plenty are corrupt.

>>but
>>if they are then they get protection from federal agencies.
>>maybe by having the Whistle Blower Protection Act extended
>to
>>cover state, county and municipal police. or maybe the
>>various states can create their own protection schemes where
>>whistle blowers can file claims and if they're retaliated
>>against then their departments would face consequences in
>>state court - criminal or civil.
>
>Sounds good, but things like retaliation can be very difficult
>to prove.

Yes that doesn't mean we just give up.
>
>>>Yep, but a lot of our communities ARE war zones.
>>
>>no. no they are not. those communities are NOT war zones.
>
>http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-82-shot-14-killed-in-chicago-4th-of-july-weekend-shootings/

So? I live in Chicago. I have had shootings on my block - I have run from bullets. I don't live in a war zone. I live in a peaceful community where ppl like me get up and go to work everyday. There are kids playing on playgrounds. Ppl out walking dogs. Ppl sitting out at restaurants and cafes. Ppl shopping at local stores. Etc etc. it is NOT a war zone.
>
>
>> The cops see
>>>this every day when they're called to help scrape
>somebody's
>>>remains off the ground after they've been killed by someone
>>>else in the community.
>>
>>so what? that's part of the job.
>>
>> You see stuff like that every day you
>>>either go crazy or become desensitized.
>>
>>then they should get out of the job.
>
>and who's going to take their place? You?

Nope. I am not fit for the job and I have no interest. That doesn't mean that others who are similarly unfit should remain. If any cop can't handle the rigor of the job they should get out.

fuck you.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:00 PM

84. "so what answered this below better than i would have, but i'm still"

waiting for this other perspective you want us to see? you haven't answered that.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 12:20 AM

109. "I said in a another post that mysteriously got deleted, but black lives...."
In response to Reply # 84

are never going to matter to THEM until they start mattering to US.

We are pushing each other off the planet at a record pace and the cops see that because they're the ones that are called to clean up afterwards.

So to them BLM is a joke.

It's similar to the n-word, black people use it all day with each other then get mad when a white person uses it. The white person is like, "you guys use it all the time, why can't I?"

Here is an almost 7 minute clip from a speech Louis Farrakhan gave in 2007 that is very relevant to what's going on right now. The best part comes in the last 90 seconds or so but it's important to watch the whole thing to get the full context of what he is saying...:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=644509865656289&id=365178373589441&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FOfficialMinisterFarrakhan%2Fvideos%2F644509865656289%2F

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:14 PM

59. "if there are just a few bad apples standing up shouldn't be a big deal "
In response to Reply # 29

so it rings true that there are no good cops because they all support wrongdoing. Just like there are no good gang members for the exact same reason.

So when someone finally snaps and fights fire with fire it's not okay it's just what happens.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:21 PM

63. "So when are you kicking off the race war?"
In response to Reply # 59

>so it rings true that there are no good cops because they all
>support wrongdoing. Just like there are no good gang members
>for the exact same reason.
>
>So when someone finally snaps and fights fire with fire it's
>not okay it's just what happens.

You got your weapons? You got your survival equipment? Or are you just popping shit online?

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:30 PM

68. "We've been in a 397 year long race war sometimes hot sometimes cold"
In response to Reply # 63

I'm not justifying anything, I'm just saying what happens. <-- I was just applying your logic to the reprisals that come the police's way.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:40 PM

71. "who do you think is going to win?"
In response to Reply # 68

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:48 PM

76. "If we can handle 337 years of abuse we can handle anything "
In response to Reply # 71
Wed Jul-13-16 03:50 PM by Atillah Moor

So if things pop off so be it. It's been long overdue.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:51 PM

79. "okayplayer. n/m"
In response to Reply # 76

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 12:57 PM

28. "You think Philandro didn't want to go home at the end of the day?"

Cops carry guns and are given the authority to uphold the law if they break or violate that they are to be held to the same standard as everyone else. They are not the demi gods you wish them to be and I really, really, hope you have a ton of LEO in your family because you are riding for them way, way, too hard.

Black people and police do not, can not, and will not have the same relationship as whites do and it's okay to admit that.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:09 PM

30. "its funny that he says both sides needs to see each other's "
In response to Reply # 28

perspective when all he did was give benefit of the doubt and excuses to cops who murder innocent civilians. He had nothing to say about the benefit of the doubt or pov of the dead victims.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:30 PM

34. "I figured most black people here know the pov of black people."
In response to Reply # 30

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:25 PM

32. "RE: You think Philandro didn't want to go home at the end of the day?"
In response to Reply # 28

>Cops carry guns and are given the authority to uphold the law
>if they break or violate that they are to be held to the same
>standard as everyone else. They are not the demi gods you wish
>them to be and I really, really, hope you have a ton of LEO in
>your family because you are riding for them way, way, too
>hard.
>
>Black people and police do not, can not, and will not have the
>same relationship as whites do and it's okay to admit that. Like I said above I'm not justifying anything or making excuses for anything I'm just explaining what the situation is.

There's zero hope of any type of resolution if both parties don't at least attempt to try to understand things from the other side.

And yes I do feel like I understand both sides, as a black man and also someone that has several family members and friends that work in law enforcement including having been in a relationship with female police officer I probably know as much as any non-officer can.

Contrary to popular belief on OKP being a police officer is not an easy job. Its also a job that, despite its importance, doesn't pay a lot in most areas so a lot of people don't want to do it. So you end up with a lot of people being police officers that have no business putting on a uniform.

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:50 PM

36. "Help us understand how a mofo gets pulled over for having a wide nose?"
In response to Reply # 32

Sometimes folks are dead wrong and the system and its apologist are just as wrong.

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:07 PM

42. "Nobody is justifying any of that."
In response to Reply # 36

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:16 PM

44. "Okay..lowering bar. Help us to understand. Go!"
In response to Reply # 42
Wed Jul-13-16 02:18 PM by nonaime

Isn't that what you want? So, proceed...

~~~~~~~~

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:29 PM

51. "you can focus on actionable issues or you can focus on being mad..."
In response to Reply # 44

but not both at the same time.

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:35 PM

54. "Neither of those has anything to do with understanding the other side"
In response to Reply # 51
Wed Jul-13-16 02:36 PM by nonaime

So, again...help us to understand the other side with respect to Castile's shooting...

~~~~~~~~

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:24 PM

65. "RE: Neither of those has anything to do with understanding the other sid..."
In response to Reply # 54

>So, again...help us to understand the other side with respect
>to Castile's shooting...

You had somebody in Falcon Heights, Minnesota that had no business being a police officer. Plain and simple.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:12 PM

90. "thanks...that is the type of stuff where if OTHER COPS admitted"
In response to Reply # 65

some actual change could take place...not if we saw both sides.

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:17 PM

45. "Are you saying there's something wrong with it?"
In response to Reply # 42

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:00 PM

39. "so?"

>There's zero hope of any type of resolution if both parties
>don't at least attempt to try to understand things from the
>other side.

eh. the cops gotta get right first. they have the higher duty. b/c they get to restrict our liberty. they can seize us and our property. they can even take our lives. all w/o being held accountable even if they'd taken these actions illegally. so b/c of this they have more duty to get and act right than we do.

Its also a job that, despite its importance,
>doesn't pay a lot in most areas so a lot of people don't want
>to do it. So you end up with a lot of people being police
>officers that have no business putting on a uniform.

and? so what?

this doesn't excuse police misconduct.

cops who have no business putting on a uniform should be removed from the force. period.

if we need police that badly then maybe we should work to make the job more attractive to better qualified ppl.

but i don't think hiring cops w/higher IQs and better school transcripts is going to solve the problems w/police misconduct. smart ppl can be just corrupt as anyone else. the pervasive nature of corruption and the lack of accountability are the main problems and they won't be solved just by hiring higher pedigreed ppl as cops.

fuck you.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts

48. "RE: so?"
In response to Reply # 39

>if we need police that badly then maybe we should work to make
>the job more attractive to better qualified ppl.

I agree 100% with this but like everything else it comes down to money. Where is it going to come from?

>but i don't think hiring cops w/higher IQs and better school
>transcripts is going to solve the problems w/police
>misconduct. smart ppl can be just corrupt as anyone else.
>the pervasive nature of corruption and the lack of
>accountability are the main problems and they won't be solved
>just by hiring higher pedigreed ppl as cops.

I agree to a point but it's more that just book smarts but mental clarity. We all know scholarly people with multiple degrees that are crazy as hell. In the military in elite special forces as well as elite federal law enforcement mental evaluations are just as important if not more so that physical. You might know everything but how do you respond in a high stress situation. The dude that shot Tamir Rice had been fired from another dept because they felt like he wasn't mentally capable and he went right over to Cleveland and got hired. Cleveland PD never called to see why the other dept let him go.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:24 PM

64. "RE: so?"
In response to Reply # 48

>I agree to a point but it's more that just book smarts but
>mental clarity. We all know scholarly people with multiple
>degrees that are crazy as hell. In the military in elite
>special forces as well as elite federal law enforcement mental
>evaluations are just as important if not more so that
>physical.

sure but elite special forces and elite fedz also commit misconduct. and in some cases their misconduct results in great bodily harm or death.

You might know everything but how do you respond in
>a high stress situation. The dude that shot Tamir Rice had
>been fired from another dept because they felt like he wasn't
>mentally capable and he went right over to Cleveland and got
>hired. Cleveland PD never called to see why the other dept let
>him go.

that's a problem - bigger problem is that the officer was not held accountable in criminal court. neither was the department. until there's some accountability in criminal court individual officers and the departments that hire them have little incentive to change. there is some accountability in civil court as cities/states are ordered to pay out in police misconduct cases - but even that doesn't happen enough. i think w/more accountability in both criminal and civil court departments will have incentive to hire qualified officers and to root out the unqualified.

fuck you.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:27 PM

66. "I agree with this 100%, but how do we get there?"
In response to Reply # 64

>
>that's a problem - bigger problem is that the officer was not
>held accountable in criminal court. neither was the
>department. until there's some accountability in criminal
>court individual officers and the departments that hire them
>have little incentive to change. there is some accountability
>in civil court as cities/states are ordered to pay out in
>police misconduct cases - but even that doesn't happen enough.
> i think w/more accountability in both criminal and civil
>court departments will have incentive to hire qualified
>officers and to root out the unqualified.
>

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:05 PM

87. "convince prosecutors, judges and jurors that cops' fear is unreasonable."
In response to Reply # 66

the St. Louis County prosecutor didn't really seek an indictment against Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson b/c he believed the officer reasonably feared for his life during his encounter w/unarmed teen Mike Brown. the prosecutor convinced the grand jury that the officer's fear was reasonable.

that must change - the fact that the officer was so scared of an unarmed teen that he used deadly force must change. the fact that the prosecutor agreed must change. the fact that more than a dozen grand jurors agreed must change. b/c that officer's fear was patently unreasonable.

Chicago Officer Van Dyke fired 16 shots at Laquan McDonald - several of those shots were fired after McDonald was already on the ground bleeding out. i expect the officer will say he was afraid when he fired those shots.

the Baton Rouge officer who killed Alton Sterling fired 2 to 4 shots into Alton after he was already bleeding out. i expect he'll claim he was scared.

this fear - it's unreasonable and it's deadly. but too often when officers make that claim they get support. it's too much.

i think we address it via education. we show the public (which includes police, prosecutors, judges and jurors) the root of this fear - which reaches all the way back to the chattel slavery era, of course. we show them that they don't have reason to fear us as much as they do. that the fear is somewhat absurd.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:54 PM

98. "How do you do that without damaging their white fragility?"
In response to Reply # 87

because if that happens they reject the information and perceive it as an attack. Then there's the constant media messaging showing black folks being killed or as villains in movies, tv shows, the news, etc.

That's of course assuming that they aren't supremacist minded in the first place n which case they'll reject it anyway.

It's no easy feat that much is certain.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 04:56 PM

100. "Exactly. n/m"
In response to Reply # 98

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 05:23 PM

103. "It has to be done without cynicism."
In response to Reply # 98
Wed Jul-13-16 05:26 PM by SoWhat

Without attacking anyone in particular. It would probably have to significantly involve other white ppl and not us. It could be taught at police academies.

Jane Elliott's brown eye/blue eye experiment could be a model. Not that program specifically but something like that.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 07:01 PM

105. "yeah something like the brown eye / blue eye exercise "
In response to Reply # 103

And it would have to be an all white initiative, but with the statistics being what they are as far as attitudes go I don't how white folks get to that place where they see the need for that. Rhetorically speaking -- if one can never experience systemic racism can one still understand or see the need for racial justice?

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
107. "RE: convince prosecutors, judges and jurors that cops' fear is unreasona..."
In response to Reply # 87

Would it help to change the actual law?

From a layman it seems in many of these encounters a cop is purposely escalating an encounter ("stop resisting") to a level that they can use any counter measure allowed to them under the law (lethal force)

Isn't there a way to change the use of force laws so that this couldn't happen and if it did they be held accountable?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 08:28 AM

110. "there is no 'use of force law' AFAIK."
In response to Reply # 107
Thu Jul-14-16 08:28 AM by SoWhat

police are trained about spectrum or continuum of force that begins w/verbal communication and goes all the way up to deadly force. they are not taught or required to use force in a like step ladder manner. any of the options on the spectrum are available at any time.

in criminal cases the officers tend to claim they were acting in self-defense or defense of others where they actually believed the civilian was a threat to the officer's or some bystanders' life or that the civilian would cause great bodily harm. prosecutors, judges and jurors tend to believe that the officers' fear is reasonable.

i think the law is fine on this - it's the application to the facts of cases that's problematic.

fuck you.

Cenario
59176 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 08:47 AM

111. "yeah i think there are just use of force guidelines as established"
In response to Reply # 110

by the individual police dept. Not following those guidelines can lead to departmental discipline, but violating the guidelines doesn't necessarily mean a crime was committed. (see illegal chokeholds)

^^^this is my understanding at least.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:01 PM

40. "I'm sick of hearing about cops having a hard job"

most cops never see action. Cops don't get paid a ton but they also don't pay for shit half the time and that pension is nice as hell.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:22 PM

49. "So when are you putting in your application?"
In response to Reply # 40

>most cops never see action. Cops don't get paid a ton but
>they also don't pay for shit half the time and that pension is
>nice as hell.
>
>
>
>
>
>

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:35 PM

55. "for what? i dont want to be a cop"
In response to Reply # 49

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:27 PM

67. "Exactly. n/m"
In response to Reply # 55

Atillah Moor
13825 posts

46. "Black people do understand the other side -- they're scared of us."

We can't control that. If police are that scared of unarmed black folks then like it's been said "they shouldn't be cops".

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:30 PM

52. "so when are you putting in your application?"
In response to Reply # 46

>We can't control that. If police are that scared of unarmed
>black folks then like it's been said "they shouldn't be
>cops".

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:59 PM

56. "Soap doesn't clean dirt. Dirt makes soap dirty and good cops get FIRED."
In response to Reply # 52

Too many narratives from cops who tried to do the right thing to prove that.

I have a more positive impact at the homeless shelter than I ever could as a police officer.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:09 PM

58. "RE: Soap doesn't clean dirt. Dirt makes soap dirty and good cops get FIR..."
In response to Reply # 56

lol.. good one sensei

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:36 PM

70. "You're right, I personally know ex-cops that were fired for trying to..."
In response to Reply # 56

do the right thing. Now they're LE careers are effectively over and they're struggling trying to find a way to support their families. Other cops see that and say "is it worth it?"

Too many narratives from cops who tried to do the right thing
>to prove that.
>
I have a more positive impact at the homeless shelter than I
>ever could as a police officer.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:44 PM

74. "They should ask that question before joining. Is it worth my character?"
In response to Reply # 70

I bet you this -- if there was a shortage of cops in white areas and their neighborhoods started to go downhill you'd see change over night.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:53 PM

38. "none of this excuses police brutality."

i understand all of it b/c i've deposed police officers in police misconduct cases. i've heard several of them testify about that stuff.

so what?

none of it means we should look the other way when police use excessive force in a manner that results in great bodily harm or even death to civilians.

the point of the current action seeking to change the nature of policing is to improve policing such that various communities can feel more comfortable w/police and hopefully can trust police. getting there will require work on both police and the community. we need to be able to trust our police - right now many of us don't and w/good reason. we also need police to not be so outrageously and unreasonable fearful of us civilians. b/c that unreasonable fear can be deadly (ask Philando Castile). it's gotta go.

also, i place a higher duty on police to get right b/c they operate under color of law - they get special privileges and powers b/c of their status as arms of the government. w/great power comes great responsibility. they have a duty to be right even when we're wrong. if they can't handle that then they probably shouldn't be cops.

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 09:46 AM

115. "This doesn't justify unarmed Blacks being 5 times as likely to be killed"
Thu Jul-14-16 09:47 AM by Boogie Stimuli

by cops than unarmed whites.

Furthermore, violent crime in a city and
violence against cops has no correlation.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:06 AM

12. "+1"

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:47 AM

20. "The issue isn't that complex though. Not complex at all really."

BLM =/= anti cop
BLM =/= anti white

There's no justifiable reason for a police officer to be anti BLM if they take the time to comprehend and understand what BLM is trying to achieve. The various events around the country where you've seen cops hand in hand with BLM representatives is proof alone that there are cops that get it and support it.

Those guys that walked out on the game were clearly irrationally thinking, emotional dumbasses...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 03:17 PM

60. "its complex in the sense that in order to resolve it there are multiple...."
In response to Reply # 20

on multiple levels that need to be addressed and there is no 1 simple cookie cutter answer that is magically going to fix everything.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:48 AM

21. "Not true. Race as a construct has to go away and that's impossible."

White is a classification granting full or near full access to American prosperity and black is the restricting or denial of access.

Until that is gone everything is a band aid and sadly it seems the country has just about bled out.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 01:42 PM

35. "yup. too caught up in they feewings and their unreasonable fear."
In response to Reply # 1

they skurred.

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 09:38 AM

113. "Police brutality says you're right."
In response to Reply # 1

~
~
~
~
~

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:12 AM

2. "since when did BLM = fuck the police?"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 08:16 AM

4. "well, they think our lives don't matter so I would say...."
In response to Reply # 2

since the first time they heard it

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28843 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 09:42 AM

9. "Clearly, black people are scary...."
In response to Reply # 2

The second we start taking a stand or god forbid, delivering a message of empowerment people take that as some black power uprising revenge narrative. This narrative comes from conservative media outlets eager to get views and higher ratings to increase ad revenue.

Police get more funding and justification to racially profile because black rage.
Conservative media outlets get better views, higher ratings, and more ad revenue.
The Prison Industrial Complex gets more prisoners thanks to public apathy towards black people that results in tougher legislation targeting black people.

Everyone wins but us.... *sad face of a lifetime*

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:53 AM

22. "The narrative is as old as the Stono rebellion "
In response to Reply # 9

Whiteness demands fear of reprisal because acknowledged or not the white person knows black people have a different social condition as a result of not being white. Therefore the black person (in their mind) "must" want to take from the white person because white is inherently good.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:36 AM

15. "When they put the word 'Black' in the title "
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Jul-13-16 10:37 AM by Atillah Moor

It's so sad how badly a large majority of white people want this to be a terror group, but the good news is it clearly illustrates how fucked in the head you get when you buy into whiteness as identity.

They "have" to react that way because when you believe in the supremacy of whiteness and that "white" is what you are any message that tries to put a group or individual on equal footing is an attack. Look at the Williams sisters and if Social Media had been around when Jordan was killing it -- could you imagine??

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:38 AM

16. "This 'Murica. Black is the opposite of white, so BLM = Anti-white-lives"
In response to Reply # 2

And since those white lives are cops, BLM = Militant domestic terrorist cop killers.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:42 AM

19. "^ well said"
In response to Reply # 16

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:09 AM

13. "People swear "the majority are good cops". No, they're the biggest gang "
In response to Reply # 0

who kill with no repercussions other than paid vacation and gofundme retirement packages funded by racist america

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:41 AM

18. "NYPD == The Riffs"
In response to Reply # 13

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 11:38 AM

23. "frats with oaths"

of supporting themselves above the morality and legality of the non-sworn citizens

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 02:15 PM

43. "Cops fall directly under Troops in the yt heirarchy..Dogs is above"

both

but yeah...it's troops...then cops...

and of course...alotta cops are.....former troops

and of course troops can do no wrong in their eyes
So neither can cops

they are their legit hero's

=======================================
Coolin...

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 10:30 AM

14. "Black lives were probably saved that night "
In response to Reply # 0

and some prostitutes probably got paid.

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 09:39 AM

114. "lol... lovely reply"
In response to Reply # 14

~
~
~
~
~

weaponry
Member since Jan 26th 2006
483 posts
Wed Jul-13-16 11:10 PM

108. "Thank you.....TheTruth, Cenario, SoWhat, Atillah, legs"
In response to Reply # 0

i know there's plenty of frustration that arises in these conversations but the extended, drawn out exchanges above in this post by you all ..... very helpful to read.

dap.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 08:57 AM

112. "yeah..."
In response to Reply # 108

Lobby General Discussion topic #13043437 Previous topic | Next topic