Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13042504

Subject: "Which portable Bluetooth speaker do you have?" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 01:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Which portable Bluetooth speaker do you have?"

And would you recommend yours? I've now had two bad experiences from well-reviewed affordable Amazon options, so it's time to go to GD and get your advice.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Which portable Bluetooth speaker do you have?
Jul 10th 2016
Jul 10th 2016
Harman Kardon Onyx
Jul 10th 2016
cosign
Jul 11th 2016
^^^
Jul 11th 2016
Yup
Jul 12th 2016
I read some reviews that complain about battery life. Thoughts?
Jul 15th 2016
      like any other the louder it goes the more battery charge it uses
Jul 16th 2016
funny you should ask, i'm copping the riva turbo right now
Jul 10th 2016
Jabra Soulmate
Jul 10th 2016
Amazon Tap
Jul 10th 2016
Jbl flip 3
Jul 10th 2016
Curious. What 2 speakers failed you?
Jul 10th 2016
I've got the Soundlink Mini II. I agree
Jul 10th 2016
JBL clip and a Nakamichi something or other
Jul 10th 2016
I have a Braven BRV-X
Jul 10th 2016
Beats Pill
Jul 11th 2016
mini jambox (jawbone™)...
Jul 11th 2016
kicker
Jul 11th 2016
jbl. shockingly big bass in a little tube
Jul 11th 2016
Nyne Bass
Jul 12th 2016
Jul 15th 2016
jbl charge
Jul 16th 2016
I've been on the fence on a UE Boom
Jul 17th 2016

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 01:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Which portable Bluetooth speaker do you have?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been rolling with this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLDSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's OK. I don't know if it's good or bad, but I don't dislike it.
The thing I like the least about it though is that the clip holder / arch whatever is so small. I don't have many hooks that I can clip it to.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: Which portable Bluetooth speaker do you have?"
In response to Reply # 0

I borrowed this from a member of our crew and was impressed

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Superstar-Definition-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00J4DUVR6

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 01:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Harman Kardon Onyx "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.focuscamera.com/harman-kardon-onyx-studio-2-bluetooth-wireless-speaker-system-w-mic.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=simple&gclid=CIPHzeXG6c0CFUKUfgodQG0NsQ

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Mon Jul-11-16 09:55 AM

14. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 3

illEskoBar221
Member since Oct 18th 2004
8453 posts
Mon Jul-11-16 10:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 3

<----- Genesis is deep my features are that of a God

http://illeskobar.deviantart.com/
http://thisiskyleskorner.blogspot.com/

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 12:44 PM

18. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 3

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Jul-15-16 10:14 PM

20. "I read some reviews that complain about battery life. Thoughts?"
In response to Reply # 3

I wanna make sure it'll last for about an hour of constant play. I also need it to be relatively loud, as I'll be using it outdoors.

Thanks!

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Sat Jul-16-16 12:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "like any other the louder it goes the more battery charge it uses"
In response to Reply # 20

it will def last an hour and like all, it comes with plug in..use it if a plug is available

one thing though is it has the best sound of any ofthese speakers around imho..like a full large speaker...tht may be why there were complaints about baterry life..because the sound is so huge it take a lot of th battery juice

>I wanna make sure it'll last for about an hour of constant
>play. I also need it to be relatively loud, as I'll be using
>it outdoors.
>
>Thanks!

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 02:13 PM

4. "funny you should ask, i'm copping the riva turbo right now"
In response to Reply # 0

it's supposed to be the "best" with the only downsides being its price, and that it's not as "rugged" or built for the outdoors as some others

i'm ok with both of those things it's supposed to sound phenomenal

__

fairweather

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79592 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 06:54 PM

5. "Jabra Soulmate"
In response to Reply # 0

I copped it for $119.

Its discontinued by the manufacturer and sells on Amazon for $49.00

https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-SOLEMATE-Wireless-Bluetooth-Portable/dp/B008R523N2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468194516&sr=8-1&keywords=Jabra+soulmate

This is a really good speaker. I've had it for 2 or 3 years. I've used it for small cookouts 20 to 30 people and I always got compliments on the sound quality.

Its a little bass heavy tho.

Shit, I may cop another one because $49 for a quality bluetooth speaker is a deal.

Also has an audio plug in that is stored underneath it

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 07:24 PM

6. "Amazon Tap"
In response to Reply # 0

It's the best $130+ shipping you'll spend this year. 9 hours of audio playback over bluetooth helps.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 08:40 PM

7. "Jbl flip 3"
In response to Reply # 0

For a little ass speaker, it puts out pretty good sound.

I also have a jbl clip for going to the beach etc. That also sounds pretty good, and that thing is small af.

C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 10:29 PM

8. "Curious. What 2 speakers failed you?"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't gotten around to buying one yet, but from testing them out at Best Buy/electronics stores, I haven't heard one better than the Bose Soundlink Mini II (particularly around that same size or smaller). Unfortunately it costs $199, so that's why I haven't copped. There's a Sony one that's not too bad. Can't remember the model number off top tho.

I like that the UE Roll speaker comes with a bungee cord to hang almost anywhere. The sound quality is not actually bad either. The highs are a litle muddied, but it's def not worth the $99 price tag.

#NP: Janelle Monae-DC, Pusha T-Daytona, Royce-Book of Ryan, Blue Note All-Stars-OPOV, Chris Dave/Drumhedz-Glow, Conway-GOAT, Black Milk-Fever, KRIT-4eva Is a Mighty.., Phonte-NNIGN, August Greene, Jericho Jackson
@LargesseMorlu

Ted Gee Seal
Member since Apr 18th 2007
10091 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 10:33 PM

9. "I've got the Soundlink Mini II. I agree"
In response to Reply # 8

Sound quality is excellent. I had a good think about the comparable Sony model, and the next one up in the Bose family. I'm still happy with my choice.

Bluetooth was really reliable at the start but can be a little finicky at times. Having said that, the bluetooth is on the fritz in our car and I've been using the Bose as the stereo instead. Works pretty well (granted the sound in the car wasn't that great to begin with).

Just IMO though.

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 11:15 PM

10. "JBL clip and a Nakamichi something or other"
In response to Reply # 0

Both are cool. JBL clip wins for affordability (got a cheap refurb for $15) and portability.

i still blame hip-hop.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Jul-10-16 11:47 PM

11. "I have a Braven BRV-X"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jul-10-16 11:49 PM by Rjcc

it's lived up to its claim of waterproofing (two tubing trips -- it once fell into the river with its waterproof cap that covers the ports off, but after a few minutes to shake the water out it came right back on and seems no worse for the experience. as long as you have the cap on it should be able to take anything really.), although in the cold water the battery didn't last as long as it does when I'm just at my house.

also the bluetooth is slightly finicky (as long as I specifically unpair a device before pairing another it's usually ok), but that seems to be the case for bluetooth in general

they have some newer ones now that I'd like to try though.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

RaphaelSoulLee
Member since May 21st 2003
3765 posts
Mon Jul-11-16 08:56 AM

12. "Beats Pill"
In response to Reply # 0

It takes all kinds to make up a world, son. -My pops

I just live for the comments -Da wiz

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jul-11-16 09:18 AM

13. "mini jambox (jawbone™)..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-11-16 09:18 AM by CyrenYoung

..decent highs/mids, not much for lows, but solid acoustics all around for its size.

bluetooth range of just over 30 ft, 8 hrs of battery life, and speakerphone. not bad for under $150.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Jul-11-16 10:38 AM

15. "kicker"
In response to Reply # 0

Kicker Amphitheater BT2 Wireless Bluetooth Premium Personal Audio System with 6" Square Reflex Subwoofer, Free KickStart Application

SKU: KI41IK5BT2V2 MFR: 41IK5BT2V2

it knocks, but it's delicate. I think the humidity got to it. shit started shorting out.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Mon Jul-11-16 02:15 PM

17. "jbl. shockingly big bass in a little tube"
In response to Reply # 0

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Tue Jul-12-16 03:16 PM

19. "Nyne Bass"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't praise this speaker enough:

https://www.amazon.com/NYNE-Portable-Bluetooth-Subwoofer-Microphone/dp/B00I9ICWBA

It's solidly built, the sound is loud and well balanced, and it projects very well over distance. We play it in our backyard and get clean highs/mids/lows from almost 100 feet away, which is surprising for a relatively small speaker outdoors. The bass covers every low frequency you'll hear on most songs. The design is sleek. It's portable enough to carry around easily with one hand (it has a handle). The manufacturer says the battery lasts up to 10 hours between charges, though I haven't really tested that. And there's a USB port on the back if your phone needs a charge.

I was considering the Jambox, but the reviews for this were just as good for a fraction of the price- including reviews from people who have owned both. My only complaint is the Bluetooth receiver. The signal cuts out at about 20-30 feet, or if there's a large object in the way. But that's a small issue, IMO.

I've had this for a year and I'd recommend it to everyone.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

dulce_421
Member since Feb 25th 2005
477 posts
Fri Jul-15-16 11:39 PM

21. "RE: Which portable Bluetooth speaker do you have?"
In response to Reply # 0

check out https://www.amazon.com/UE-BOOM-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00CM0XHNS

UE boom I have it love it!

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Sat Jul-16-16 06:49 PM

23. "jbl charge"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-16-16 06:50 PM by Crash Bandacoot

it's okay, not sure if i would recommend it though..does what it needs to do.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Sun Jul-17-16 04:16 PM

24. "I've been on the fence on a UE Boom"
In response to Reply # 0

Heard one while I was getting my phone upgraded. Sound was surprisingly good

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Lobby General Discussion topic #13042504 Previous topic | Next topic