Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13035369

Subject: "I cried at my son's little league game" Previous topic | Next topic
RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sun Jun-19-16 12:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I cried at my son's little league game"

I posted this in sports a week and a half ago. I got a lot of inboxes asking me to post it here too. I figured there was no better day than today to post to GD. Happy Father's Day enjoy your time with your kids today and everyday

Here is the link to the OG post http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=106266

At the start of the season if you would have told me I would be this invested in 7/8 year old baseball I would have laughed at you. The last two and a half weeks have been fucking nuts. Playoff sports is intense no matter the age.

Today we had an elimination game to play. Winner moves on and the loser goes home. It was our 9th game in 16 days between out in house tournament and the Tournament of Champions games. Going into the top of the last inning we were behind by 3 runs. We scored 5 runs. Home team comes up with the bottom of their line up. Like most teams we are out of pitchers at this point. Coach puts in one of the older kids to pitch. He immediately walks the bases loaded. Coach calls time out and calls my son to pitch.

My son is the youngest kid on his team and in the division. Had he been born 4 days later he would have still been in t-ball. But here we are playing with 7 and 8 year olds. Shit some of these kids have just turned 9. My son hasnt even turned 7 yet and wont for a couple of months. But for some reason he is league age 7. He has had a great season. He is one of the better hitters on his team and played every position on the field. They even had him pitch a few innings here and there. But he hast pitched the entire playoffs. Shit he hasnt pitched in 13 games. But he has wanted to. Every day he tells me he wants to pitch. I just kept telling him to be ready for when his number was called.

Well tonight it was called in a fucking huge moment. When the coach called him to pitch he sprinted to the mound with a big ass grin on his face. The rest of the team was nervous and scared. He was happy as shit to get called. He looked loose in his warm ups and confident. Not a worry in the world. My wife and I were a fucking mess. He is only 6 and this is too much pressure. Why is the coach putting him right now? He's not ready.

Here comes the top of the line up. They have been killing us the whole game. Especially their 3rd batter. Double plays dont happen at this level so we are going to face this kid this inning. The lead off hitter flies out to our 2nd baseman for the first out. E runs out to high five his 2nd baseman for catching that and pumps his fist on his way back to the mound. He was fired up. Me and my wife were pacing and could barely watch. He works the next batter to a full count before striking him out. 2 outs!

Big boy walks up to the plate. 2 years older than my son. A good 5 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier. But it didn't bother E. He is fearless. First pitch swing and a miss, strike one. Second pitch Big Boy connects pulls it to left,foul ball. Any other kid would have been scared because he just hit the shit out of that foul ball. You could hear the collective sigh of relief from the parents. I look at the mound and E pumps his fist because it means strike two. Next pitch big boy gets a hold of it. The ball went over our left fielders head and big boy rounds the bases. His run didnt count because they only needed 3. But he just hit a walk off grand slam off my boy.

Watching him walk off that mound was heartbreaking. He was upset but I was the one crying. I didn't expect him to experience something like this until he was much older. I mean up until this season they never kept track of outs or score. Last week was easily the best moment of his short little league career winning their in house tournament earning 1st place and gaining a spot into this tournament. Today was easily the worst moment.

When they came off the field I was proud of him. He was mad but had no tears in his eye. The coach gathered the team around and gave his speech. Just like after every game he gave out a game ball. It went to Emiliano. As soon as the meeting was over he handed me the ball and said he didnt want it because they lost. We went out for pizza and ice cream after the game to celebrate their great season. When we got home he said he wanted to pitch to me in the backyard. He said we gotta start getting ready for next season. I started crying again.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
man... u got a great kid bruh
Jun 19th 2016
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2Sps9aMcY
Jun 20th 2016
Nice
Jun 20th 2016
He has the right attitude.
Jun 20th 2016
AGAAIN???
Jun 20th 2016

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sun Jun-19-16 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "man... u got a great kid bruh"
In response to Reply # 0

>When we got home he
>said he wanted to pitch to me in the backyard. He said we
>gotta start getting ready for next season. I started crying
>again.
>
>
>
>

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Jun-20-16 02:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2Sps9aMcY"
In response to Reply # 0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2Sps9aMcY

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Mon Jun-20-16 05:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Nice"
In response to Reply # 0

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Mon Jun-20-16 06:07 AM

4. "He has the right attitude."
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't wanna wallow it... just dusted himself
off and prepared to get back at 'em.
That's wassup.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Mon Jun-20-16 08:04 AM

5. "AGAAIN???"
In response to Reply # 0

lol that was my thought when i saw the subject.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13035369 Previous topic | Next topic