Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13022905

Subject: "Even Claire Underwood Had to Fight For Equal Pay (swipe) genderwarz?" Previous topic | Next topic
Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Wed May-18-16 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Even Claire Underwood Had to Fight For Equal Pay (swipe) genderwarz?"

I found the wording of this headline a bit misleading...did she really have to "fight"?
According to the article..She made a demand based of research she had done and got what she wanted.
That isn't a fight in my eyes..it's negotiation..
She even went on to say that while raising her kids she basically missed out on years of building her career capital.

I love her character and think she's an amazing actress. If she has as much pull as Kevin Spacey she should by right be paid the same...but framing this as a "fight"..i dunno man..

What say you, okp?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/05/even-claire-underwood-had-to-fight-for-equal-pay.html?mid=twitter_cut#

Powerful women in Hollywood, from Patricia Arquette to Jennifer Lawrence, are starting to come forward and speak about their industry’s gender wage gap — and now you can add Robin Wright to the list.

Wright, who plays the formidable Claire Underwood on House of Cards says she demanded to be paid as much as her co-star Kevin Spacey, who plays her husband, Frank Underwood.

The Huffington Post reports that during an event at the Rockefeller Foundation on Tuesday, Wright (who also serves as a producer on the show) admitted that she demanded to be paid the same as Spacey.

She elaborated:

It was the perfect paradigm. There are very few films or TV shows where the male, the patriarch, and the matriarch are equal. And they are in House of Cards.
I was looking at the statistics and Claire Underwood's character was more popular than for a period of time. So I capitalized on it. I was like, "You better pay me or I’m going to go public. And they did."
Indeed, Claire is as compelling — if not more compelling — a character as Frank, and she is the only character that can match him at his most nefarious. The show needs them both, so it’s only logical and fair that they get paid the same salary.

And yet logic and fairness isn’t always at the forefront when making such decisions — remember when Gillian Anderson was offered half of David Duchovny’s salary for the X-Files reboot? Unless the producers wanted Duchovny to slap on a red wig and play Scully in addition to Mulder, the show couldn’t function without both actors.

Wright also spoke about her trouble building her career after having children with Sean Penn in the early '90s, saying:

Because I wasn’t working full time, I wasn’t building my salary bracket. If you don’t build that ... with notoriety and presence, you’re not in the game anymore. You become a B-list actor. You’re not box office material. You don’t hold the value you would have held if you had done four movies a year like Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett did during the time I was raising my kids.
Stars — maybe they really are just like us.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think the problem is that the initial offer for women is substantially...
May 18th 2016
true...but she does mention a stark reality...
May 18th 2016
She deserves the pay raise now
May 18th 2016
word...in total agreement..and that's what happened...I'm just..
May 18th 2016
Yeah, this is a terrible example of gender pay gap
May 18th 2016
yeah Spacey clearly was the draw to house of cards initially
May 18th 2016
Focusing on the use of the word "fight" is a distraction.
May 18th 2016
from what I remember J. Lawrence only filmed for 30 days
May 18th 2016
Days on set isn't a good way to measure Hollywood pay
May 18th 2016
      why isn't it? if I'm on set for 4 months and you only do 1 month
May 18th 2016
Indeed. Totally agree
May 18th 2016
yeah, I had no idea who this was until someone mentioned Spacey
May 18th 2016
Yup
May 18th 2016
I think most professional women are in her position
May 18th 2016
hmmm. I think I see where you're coming from...
May 18th 2016

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Wed May-18-16 10:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think the problem is that the initial offer for women is substantially..."
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah they can negotiate and increase the salary to be closer to men. But there is thatinitial gap

Seven
10708 posts
Wed May-18-16 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "true...but she does mention a stark reality..."
In response to Reply # 1

...the years she spent raising her kids caused her to 'miss out' on raising her clout in the industry...
I guess what i'm asking is..is that true gender inequality or just part of the game?

It's not like she and Spacey came in at the same level of fame/star power/big features (i stand to be corrected..i'll admit I didn't know about her until HOC)..

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14582 posts
Wed May-18-16 10:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "She deserves the pay raise now"
In response to Reply # 0

When the show first started the draw was Spacey, hence him probably being paid more. She proved she can be just as big a draw as him if not more, so you gotta pay up now.

Seven
10708 posts
Wed May-18-16 10:37 AM

4. "word...in total agreement..and that's what happened...I'm just.."
In response to Reply # 2

..having a hard time with this being used as an example of the gender pay gap

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14582 posts
Wed May-18-16 10:44 AM

5. "Yeah, this is a terrible example of gender pay gap"
In response to Reply # 4

Using Hollywood as an example of pay inequalities is a terrible ideal.

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Wed May-18-16 01:06 PM

14. "yeah Spacey clearly was the draw to house of cards initially"
In response to Reply # 2

so of course he shoulda been paid more. In contrast, Julia Louis Dryfuss was clearly the draw for HOBOs 'Veep', so I'd expect her to get paid more than her male coworkers initially.

This is not a good example.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Wed May-18-16 10:45 AM

6. "Focusing on the use of the word "fight" is a distraction. "
In response to Reply # 0

This is a tough topic because there are plenty of examples were equalizing pay based on gender doesn't make a lot of sense. Which goes both ways. The guys on Scandal shouldn't be making as much money as Kerrie Washington (disclosure, I don't watch scandal but I am guessing that is right from the shows commercials).

However, no reason why Jennifer Lawrence shouldn't be making as much money as the guys in American Hustle.

The fact is the people who are the draws should be paid in a way that reflects that deciding who is the draw is not a science and people often use racist and sexist assumptions to make those decisions in a way that hurts POCs and women.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Wed May-18-16 11:11 AM

8. "from what I remember J. Lawrence only filmed for 30 days "
In response to Reply # 6

and came into the fold late as shit.

I posted an article that showed she was paid handsomely when they broke down her pay vs how long she was on set.

and I hate using Hollywood as an example. What next. NFL salaries and NBA contracts?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Wed May-18-16 12:46 PM

13. "Days on set isn't a good way to measure Hollywood pay "
In response to Reply # 8

and isn't this post about Hollywood pay?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Wed May-18-16 01:22 PM

15. "why isn't it? if I'm on set for 4 months and you only do 1 month"
In response to Reply # 13

I don't want to hear you crying about equal pay.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Seven
10708 posts
Wed May-18-16 12:37 PM

10. "Indeed. Totally agree"
In response to Reply # 6

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Wed May-18-16 11:06 AM

7. "yeah, I had no idea who this was until someone mentioned Spacey"
In response to Reply # 0

which kinda shows why she had to get her weight up to get her pay up.

Seven
10708 posts
Wed May-18-16 12:38 PM

11. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 7

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed May-18-16 11:50 AM

9. "I think most professional women are in her position "
In response to Reply # 0

They don't have to fight, but learn how to reject initial offers the same way they do men they aren't interested in. Problem solved.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Seven
10708 posts
Wed May-18-16 12:39 PM

12. "hmmm. I think I see where you're coming from..."
In response to Reply # 9

...not sure I agree with the analogy. Lemme think on it.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13022905 Previous topic | Next topic