Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13015777

Subject: "when your heart has been broken..." Previous topic | Next topic
Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"when your heart has been broken..."

and you want it fixed...
what's the solution?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
duct tape
May 04th 2016
RE: duct tape
May 04th 2016
LSD.
May 04th 2016
^^^
May 04th 2016
time.
May 04th 2016
The donut of the heart?
May 04th 2016
      no, the inner mind's eye
May 04th 2016
it's gotta run its course. kinda like the flu
May 04th 2016
The realization that your emotions are meaningless products of chemistry
May 04th 2016
yep yep.
May 04th 2016
dating...
May 04th 2016
Time
May 04th 2016
^^^
May 04th 2016
Each second, each minute, and each hour will turn into days...
May 04th 2016
REAL TALK!
May 04th 2016
yep and living well
May 04th 2016
RE: Time
May 05th 2016
you give it time but use your time wisely
May 04th 2016
^^ great advice ^^
May 04th 2016
seriously. friends aren't equipped
May 04th 2016
this:
May 05th 2016
DMT
May 04th 2016
Spend Time Doing Fun Stuff for yourself.
May 04th 2016
I don't know if it works, but I like to hit the bottom before climbing
May 04th 2016
Digest it for a few days
May 04th 2016
few days? nah.. I think it takes longer than that
May 04th 2016
      It could...but it shouldn't
May 05th 2016
lol so many time replies
May 04th 2016
diversions
May 05th 2016
lemonade
May 05th 2016
Time, regular exercise, occasional mindless sex...
May 05th 2016
thank you...
May 05th 2016

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "duct tape"
In response to Reply # 0

TruOne
Member since Jun 29th 2002
14276 posts
Wed May-04-16 12:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "RE: duct tape"
In response to Reply # 1

indeed

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:10 AM

2. "LSD."
In response to Reply # 0

Always LSD.

))<>((
forever.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:15 AM

4. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 2

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:14 AM

3. "time."
In response to Reply # 0

either that or superhuman strength/faith

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:18 AM

5. "The donut of the heart?"
In response to Reply # 3

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:54 PM

20. "no, the inner mind's eye"
In response to Reply # 5

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:21 AM

6. "it's gotta run its course. kinda like the flu"
In response to Reply # 0

i can't tell you how long it'll take for you to feel "better" again but i guarantee that you will.

and like the flu, you treat the symptoms so that you can feel as good as possible while you're going through it.

do nice things for yourself

surround yourself with good people

hit up happy hours and sleep with random women

exercise more often

spend time doing things you enjoy

one day you'll wake up and you won't feel like you once did...

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "The realization that your emotions are meaningless products of chemistry"
In response to Reply # 0

That will change when your chemistry changes throughout your brief temporal existence.

i still blame hip-hop.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed May-04-16 05:25 PM

25. "yep yep."
In response to Reply # 7
Wed May-04-16 05:26 PM by denny

This is how I got through drug withdrawal lol. I started seeing my emotions as 'chemical states of my brain'. Everything we experience goes through a filter of this chemical state which turns it's hue either good or bad. But by itself...nothing is good or bad.

Essentially...all of our revelations and epiphanies and 'moments of clarity' and love and hate and 'seeing god' and fearing the devil are this (or lack thereof):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-uuk4Pr2i8

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:27 AM

8. "dating... "
In response to Reply # 0

even if it isn't serious dating just meeting new people.

I tried to see if I could make it work with the girl who broke my heart just cause the sex was good but after every session I would have a "fuck her, she ain't shit, don't let her back in" moment.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Wed May-04-16 10:42 AM

9. "Time "
In response to Reply # 0

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed May-04-16 11:28 AM

10. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

that

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed May-04-16 11:38 AM

11. "Each second, each minute, and each hour will turn into days..."
In response to Reply # 9
Wed May-04-16 11:39 AM by Creole

Days into months...

It ain't easy at all but the only thing that truly does it is time and a focus on one's self.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-04-16 12:14 PM

15. "REAL TALK!"
In response to Reply # 9

sweet ruffian
Member since Jul 11th 2003
8129 posts
Wed May-04-16 05:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "yep and living well"
In response to Reply # 9

doing little things that bring contentment and satisfaction

CRATEWORM
Charter member
1568 posts
Thu May-05-16 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "RE: Time "
In response to Reply # 9

Yup...

...separation/ divorce can be harder (especially with kids) because there's interaction with the ex... so it may take longer to get over

prayer always helps, too...

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Wed May-04-16 11:39 AM

12. "you give it time but use your time wisely"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-04-16 11:40 AM by teefiveten

fill it up with moments where you do things

see friends. plan outings with them in advance. something about filling a calendar w/ things to do can make you feel optimistic

travel if you can. even if it's to visit friends in another city. don't feel like you need to eat pray love.

go to therapy if it's especially hard. it works. i am not diagnosed w/ any illness nor do i take meds but i see a therapist twice a month. it was once a week when i was a real wreck post-breakup. it helps me deal with everything - i talk about everything from dating to work stuff. friends are great but they default to giving you advice and reacting to what you're saying when sometimes you just need a healthy, unbiased place to get your thoughts and feelings together.

date when you feel like it. don't feel like you need to get up under someone new unless you feel you can handle it emotionally and it's ok if you don't. don't let anyone make you feel like you are wrong for not starting to date or dating when they feel it's "too soon". you know yourself. trust yourself.

acknowledge and be ok with some days being better than others. there will be days where you'll feel just as bad as that first day of heartbreak and that's ok. just know you won't be there for long

make plans for your life. if you already had a plan, take this extra time to move things along more quickly.

i am 5 years out of my last relationship that caused all this devastation and i still deal w/ remnants. but i've grown so much. i'm really proud of myself.

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:27 PM

18. "^^ great advice ^^"
In response to Reply # 12

Esp regarding seeing a therapist and how it's different from confiding in close friends...

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:55 PM

21. "seriously. friends aren't equipped"
In response to Reply # 18

they want to help and give advice and that's not always what you want/need

i had a friend also going through a breakup while i was going through my stuff and honestly it was wearing me D-O-W-N. it was cool b/c we'd get together and drink and commisserate but after a while it was just all talk about her ex and the bitterness still there and i couldn't deal. i wasn't dumping on her as she was me b/c i was seeing a therapist

i still talked about my issues with friends but far less frequently which leaves more time for actual fun things to do w/ friends, which they are equipped to handle and are quite the expert at . friends to cheer you up, therapy to work through the feelings.

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Thu May-05-16 12:40 PM

29. "this:"
In response to Reply # 12

friends are great
>but they default to giving you advice and reacting to what
>you're saying when sometimes you just need a healthy, unbiased
>place to get your thoughts and feelings together.

so what is the ideal way for friends to respond so that you don't feel like they are doing this?

i struggle with this with my friends...i'm an advice-giver usually, but i've recently learned to just ask questions, like "so what do you plan to do about it?"

so maybe that's what you mean?

d

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed May-04-16 11:54 AM

13. "DMT"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-04-16 11:55 AM by tomjohn29

destroy the go quick fast

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-04-16 12:15 PM

16. "Spend Time Doing Fun Stuff for yourself. "
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Wed May-04-16 12:35 PM

17. "I don't know if it works, but I like to hit the bottom before climbing"
In response to Reply # 0

back up.

Like take a couple of days and wallow in it. Just play a lot of sad love songs. Not deal with anyone.

Then it gets old and you want to move on to new things.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Wed May-04-16 02:51 PM

19. "Digest it for a few days"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-04-16 02:51 PM by auragin_boi

-Examine why your heart was broken
-Attribute the correct amount of accountability both ways (own your part in it, even if it was minor)
-Make note of whatever issues deconstructed it and develop ways to be more keen of them in the future
-Realize that this is life and without love lost it wouldn't be as gratifying when love is gained
-Cherish the memories and be thankful for the experience
-Move on to loving yourself, bettering yourself
-Healing complete

^^^Entire process should take about 5-7 days.

Not to say that you still won't carry 'some' of it with you at times but you won't wallow.

It's an active decision to move on that heals a broken heart.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed May-04-16 03:11 PM

23. "few days? nah.. I think it takes longer than that"
In response to Reply # 19

but this is why I went out and dated other women. I was a mess and the dates were clumsy but I had to see other women to remind me there are more fish in the sea.

prolly not the best way but friends were fed up hearing me vent. pretty sure some of them even hooked up a few dates for me.

I tried the isolation, reflect and all that did was motivate me to walk to her place at 3AM and that was a bad look.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Thu May-05-16 08:21 AM

27. "It could...but it shouldn't"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu May-05-16 08:23 AM by auragin_boi

>but this is why I went out and dated other women. I was a
>mess and the dates were clumsy but I had to see other women to
>remind me there are more fish in the sea.

But you didn't need to date to remind yourself of this. And depending on the premise of the dates, you were just wasting time. Better to be in a better space before you view other options.

>prolly not the best way but friends were fed up hearing me
>vent. pretty sure some of them even hooked up a few dates for
>me.

You wanted it to linger and that's cool. You weren't ready to let go and your process is yours. But most people don't take accountability for their emotions. It's really an active decision to move on. Especially when there's practically no hope the situation that caused the heartbreak will reverse itself.

I've been angry about things, realized I was holding the anger and did it on purpose so the feelings resonated. So next time that event occurred, I could respond accordingly and move on without as much anger. I simply adjust my reaction to it. Other times, I've been angry about something and I just say, "it's not worth my entire mood" and I'm over it. Heartbreak is digested a lil longer but it's no different. I feel it should take no longer than a week to move on and get past the "woe is me" phase.

>I tried the isolation, reflect and all that did was motivate
>me to walk to her place at 3AM and that was a bad look.

Yeah, that's obsessive. Which is one of the reasons I think this should take only a week. But this is all IMO, different things work for different people. I was just offering up my process which is really all one can do in response to the OP's question.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed May-04-16 03:07 PM

22. "lol so many time replies "
In response to Reply # 0

but yeah -- time.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Thu May-05-16 07:59 AM

26. "diversions"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59168 posts
Thu May-05-16 08:28 AM

28. "lemonade"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Thu May-05-16 12:56 PM

30. "Time, regular exercise, occasional mindless sex..."
In response to Reply # 0

Forcing yourself to eat right, weed, therapy and avoiding lying in bed binge watching your favourite show.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu May-05-16 01:26 PM

31. "thank you..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm speechless. I've hit reply a few times but then thought how the replies are pretty "matter-of-fact". like, a response isn't necessary.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13015777 Previous topic | Next topic