Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13010958

Subject: "GOT Season 6 Book Readers: Who is The Red Woman, really? *Spoilers*" Previous topic | Next topic
Very-Effortless
Member since May 07th 2011
7452 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"GOT Season 6 Book Readers: Who is The Red Woman, really? *Spoilers*"

While the show has eclipsed the books, it's interesting because now we can have some real debate on some of the theories because we are getting extra information not available in what has been published.

SPOILERS all up in through this thread. If you haven't read the at least all five books, the Dunk and Egg novelas, The World of Ice and Fire compendium and The Princess and the Queen, you may want to click out of this now.

On to the subject of this post, which is episode 1: The Red Woman. More importantly, who is she.

I wasn't really surprised by the revelation at the end of the episode that Melisandre was super old because it was hinted at in the books, quite a bit in her POV chapters. But now that it has been visually confirmed, my question is - who is she? My theory is that she is Shiera Seastar. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Shiera_Seastar

Couple of reasons behind this:
-Shieraa was known to practice blood magic, specifically practicing dark magic to retain her youth and beauty
-In Melisandre's POV chapters in the book, it is called out that her power is stronger at the wall... I'm wondering if it is partially because she is in closer proximity to Bloodraven (who is part-tree and chilling with Bran) and Shiera and Bloodraven were said to practice dark magic together (maybe their power is linked).
-I feel like all of the power struggle in current Westeros is linked somehow to the Dance of Dragons and the Blackfyres vs. Targaryeans. This is clearer in the books, especially if you believe in the theory that Varys and (f)Aegon are the last surviving of the female Blackfyre line.

Few other thoughts on the episode:
-Not surprised they abandoned the whole Dornish master plot. i figured they would when they didn't include Doran's two other children last season.
-I still don't think Jon Snow is dead, and I have faith that we will see him up and about at the end of next week's episode.
-I think Sansa will be headed towards White Harbor next episode and we'll catch up with Rickon and Osha.
-I'm hoping this Vaes Dorthak Dosh Khaleen business doesn't carry over more than 2-3 episodes.
-Iron Islands? When are we getting back to that? Hopefully we go there and beyond the wall to check in on Bran next week.
-Littlefinger - Wasn't he supposed to be sending an army from the Vale to handle the Boltons? That war scene may end up being four armies instead of two. Jon+The Wildlings vs. the Boltons plus the Vale and White Harbor (assuming that's where Sansa goes) may show up

Anyway, bookreaders - overall thoughts on season 1, episode 6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought theory was that Quaithe = Shiera Seastar
Apr 25th 2016
I think I'll be more comfortable in this post.
Apr 25th 2016
why are the conclusions funny?
Apr 25th 2016
      Because they're not based on the same knowledge pool...
Apr 25th 2016
           Right. I can't even discuss it with non book readers really
Apr 25th 2016
                You guys do realize that the show has already varied from the books
Apr 25th 2016
If Ariane existed in the show, Dorne would make more sense
Apr 25th 2016
Yeah, I don't know where the fuck they are going with dorne
Apr 25th 2016
So is Sansa taking up where LSH left off?
Apr 25th 2016

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I thought theory was that Quaithe = Shiera Seastar"
In response to Reply # 0

And since they haven't mentioned Seastar in the TV show, or the Blackfyre Rebellion, or mentioned the Bloodraven by name (though I guess he's on the show as the Three-Eyed Crow), it seems unlikely.

>Few other thoughts on the episode:
>-Not surprised they abandoned the whole Dornish master plot.
>i figured they would when they didn't include Doran's two
>other children last season.

And since it appears there'll be no Connington or Young Griff, there's even less incentive. However, the Dornish plot has still been incredibly stupid and completely bungled on the show.

>-I still don't think Jon Snow is dead, and I have faith that
>we will see him up and about at the end of next week's
>episode.

Next week or the week after.

>-I'm hoping this Vaes Dorthak Dosh Khaleen business doesn't
>carry over more than 2-3 episodes.

Next week she's in Vaes Dorthrak. I imagine at the end of the episode or during the next episode, Drogon returns.

>-Iron Islands? When are we getting back to that? Hopefully we
>go there and beyond the wall to check in on Bran next week.

The Crow's Eye has been cast. Osha/Yara is in the previews (looks like she'll be taking the Victarion role, just not dumb).

>-Littlefinger - Wasn't he supposed to be sending an army from
>the Vale to handle the Boltons? That war scene may end up
>being four armies instead of two. Jon+The Wildlings vs. the
>Boltons plus the Vale and White Harbor (assuming that's where
>Sansa goes) may show up

I don't think Littlefinger would send in an army. He'd probably wait to see if the two armies destroyed each other, then swoop in and try to install Sansa in Winterfell.

>Anyway, bookreaders - overall thoughts on season 1, episode
>6.

Didn't like it much. Like the bookends at the Wall and in the North. Didn't like much in-between.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 06:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I think I'll be more comfortable in this post."
In response to Reply # 0

There's still so much they don't know... so they arrive at funny conclusions over there.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 07:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "why are the conclusions funny?"
In response to Reply # 2

if we're at the behest of the writers just making it up now, and not GRRM, then any conclusion is possible.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 08:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Because they're not based on the same knowledge pool..."
In response to Reply # 3

So... Like Melisandre being Maggy The Frog...
No.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Very-Effortless
7452 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 10:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Right. I can't even discuss it with non book readers really "
In response to Reply # 4

Because I get frustrated telling them why their theories don't work against the cannon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 11:47 PM

9. "You guys do realize that the show has already varied from the books"
In response to Reply # 6

And thus, the argument u mention is moot...... There will b a book reality, a show reality, and commonalities of the two...... I don't trip over the differences and what is or isn't"cannon" cause that a waste of time at this point

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

slp_igneous1
Member since Feb 12th 2009
852 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 08:37 PM

5. "If Ariane existed in the show, Dorne would make more sense"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't like to make too many direct comparisons, but a power vacuum in Dorne is not needed right now. For the sake of show plot, I could support a coup, but not without a true heir. Messed up Areo didn't get a good fight onscreen.

Very-Effortless
7452 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 10:47 PM

7. "Yeah, I don't know where the fuck they are going with dorne"
In response to Reply # 5

They just killed off an entire house just for revenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slp_igneous1
Member since Feb 12th 2009
852 posts
Mon Apr-25-16 11:26 PM

8. "So is Sansa taking up where LSH left off? "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-25-16 11:29 PM by slp_igneous1

She definitely could portray a vengeful spirit. I want to know how she will begin to make power plays. I would love to see white harbor, just for Manderly's speech. Could Sansa make it to the wall? Nothing for her to do up there, but I'd like some kind of Stark reunion, even bittersweet.

Back to Dorne... They're only good at writing for women with "masculine" characteristics. I think that's why they wrote the women of Dorne so poorly

Lobby General Discussion topic #13010958 Previous topic | Next topic