Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13005534

Subject: "Going to NOLA for the first time!!! Help me out" Previous topic | Next topic
Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1599 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 01:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Going to NOLA for the first time!!! Help me out"

I've been infatuated with NOLA culture for some time now and the wife has surprised me with my first trip there for our anniversary. That being said, your boy wants to experience real New Orleans. I want to go to the spots that the real New Orleans musicians play, the restaurants that locals frequent...and anything else you feel I need to experience while I'm there.

Help me out!!!

You stay classy okayplayer!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*bookmark*
Apr 15th 2016
I'm a fan of the Spotted Cat and the venue right across the street.
Apr 15th 2016
My two cents...
Apr 15th 2016
Frenchman St. >>>>>>>>>>> Bourbon St.
Apr 15th 2016
Copy/Paste of what I sent to a co-worker earlier this week
Apr 15th 2016
Luckys Bar off St Charles Ave is the craziest time I've ever had at kara...
Apr 15th 2016
RE: Going to NOLA for the first time!!! Help me out
Apr 15th 2016
have a Hurricane as your first drink and all will fall in line
Apr 15th 2016
REAL New Orleans?
Apr 15th 2016
This is far from true
Apr 15th 2016
      You forgot something.
Apr 16th 2016
Popeyes
Apr 15th 2016

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "*bookmark*"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 01:35 PM

2. "I'm a fan of the Spotted Cat and the venue right across the street. "
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 01:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "My two cents..."
In response to Reply # 0

Stay away from the Hustler str*p clubs & go to Lipstixx instead.

If you wit your old lady and want a little quiet time hit up Royal street and take in some local art. Also hit up Frenchman street which is the grown up version of Bourbon for jazz. Find the white dude in the Cowboy hat in the row of horse drawn carriages if you want to get a history lesson from a Nola OG.

If you want to get drunk fast while on bourbon you need to find the drink called the Hand grenade you'll think you can drink 5 but only drink 2.

Dont waste your time waiting on beignets at Cafe Du Monde, go around the corner to Cafe beignets.

My favorite 2 clubs are Metro & Eiffel Society

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 01:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Frenchman St. >>>>>>>>>>> Bourbon St."
In response to Reply # 0

Dat Dog is a great balcony for watching Frenchman.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 01:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Copy/Paste of what I sent to a co-worker earlier this week"
In response to Reply # 0

For a nice and cholesterol killing Po-Boys(new Orleans sandwiches), I love Killer PoBoys located in the back of a bar called Erin Rose. Its right off the Bourbon street strip and it’s a hidden gem of sandwhich awesomeness.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/killer-poboys-new-orleans

While people are going to recommend Dooky Chase as the place to eat for Southern chicken/Soul Food, only two blocks away is an even better place that’s got its own rep (and many of the locals say is better) Willie Mae’s Scotch house. Dooky Chase is a nicer spot though, so if you’re with your girls you can’t go wrong there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/willie-maes-scotch-house-new-orleans

It’s touristy as heck and always crowed, but Acme’s Oyster house is worth the wait. Its ALL about their chargrilled Oysters:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/acme-oyster-house-new-orleans

If you want to see old school New Orleans Jazz you should check out Preservation Hall which is known for tiny intimate shows:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/preservation-hall-new-orleans-2?osq=Live+Music+Tonight&search_key=22938

But you could also go to Frenchmen St and check out all the live music/clubs happening there. Now, don’t get me wrong, Bourbon St is awesome. But its also kinda touristy and silly. If you want to go OUT, you go to Frenchmen. There’s a fantastic late night spot I love there right in the center of all the madness…often there are live bands playing in the street.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dat-dog-new-orleans-7

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 01:49 PM

6. "Luckys Bar off St Charles Ave is the craziest time I've ever had at kara..."
In response to Reply # 0

Clothes came off. Old women poppin off the rafters. The New Orleans version of Casanova was performed.
It was wild.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

LeonPause
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
2298 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 04:38 PM

7. "RE: Going to NOLA for the first time!!! Help me out"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-15-16 04:40 PM by LeonPause

Enjoy! I went to NOLA for the first time last year for Mardi Gradis, and kinda fell in love with the city...the food especially! The city should be a lot less hectic than when I went, which should allow you to explore a little more freely.

If you can, take the "hop on, hop off" sightseeing bus on your first or second day, to get an idea of what different parts of the city have to offer. It's a good way to quickly discover and add things to your to do list for the rest of your trip.

As for the food, I had some of the best seafood in my life in New Orleans. If you're in the french quarter, please make it a point to stop by these two:

-Deanie's Seafood

-Acme Oyster House

The lines were out of the door during mardis gras, but the waits were totally worth it. the food is just that good. and definitely try the grilled oysters at both. I didn't mess with oysters at all before the trip, but those two spots made me a believer.

Take a stroll through Jackson Square. You're sure to find some jammin' ass brass bands playing around there, and it's just an good place to just take in the scene (lots of interesting and artsy people around there, for sure.)

And while it's a little touristy, I'd recommend stopping into Cafe Du Monde if you like sweets and want to get a taste of an authentic NOLA beignets. plus the open air vibe and location and great for kicking back and people watching for a bit.

Aside from that, just explore. you'll find a lot of cool places and things to do just walking around.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 04:42 PM

8. "have a Hurricane as your first drink and all will fall in line"
In response to Reply # 0

maryhattalillamb
Member since May 27th 2006
149 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 04:56 PM

9. "REAL New Orleans?"
In response to Reply # 0

New Orleanians eat at the same traps as the tourist
But:

Drago's ( http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/ ) grilled oysters

Castinett's ( http://www.yelp.com/biz/castnet-seafood-new-orleans ) everything!!!

Gene's ( http://genespoboys.com/ ) po boys

final_prospect82
Member since Mar 21st 2007
1358 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 11:06 PM

11. "This is far from true "
In response to Reply # 9

happiness is a mediocre standard for a middle class existence - S. Williams

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

maryhattalillamb
Member since May 27th 2006
149 posts
Sat Apr-16-16 03:57 AM

12. "You forgot something."
In response to Reply # 11

And that was the list of places that only REAL Nawlin's people go that tourists don't.
Why expend the energy to be negative but not leave anything positive behind?

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Fri Apr-15-16 05:36 PM

10. "Popeyes"
In response to Reply # 0

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Lobby General Discussion topic #13005534 Previous topic | Next topic