Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12996017

Subject: "where is social media and reality shows taking society?" Previous topic | Next topic
seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6025 posts
Tue Mar-29-16 06:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"where is social media and reality shows taking society?"

being honest, society has always been curious to know the inner details of celebrity lives. so that part isnt new.

however, actually being able to keep up with the intimate day to day details of celebrities in semi-real time is new.
social media also turned everyone into celebrities.....wannabe models, internet pranksters, or everyday people etc.

seems like tabloid like conversation about the most talentless people, consume a large portion of the day for a growing number of people. and its not just the young folks either.

where are we headed?

i stopped watching reality TV over 10 years ago, its changed so much since then.

who are these people?
why does anyone care what they're doing?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
if u offer me a penny for my thoughts & i add my 2cents do i get change?
Mar 29th 2016
Mar 30th 2016
See: Donald Trump and Sarah Palin
Mar 30th 2016
Several stops on the loss of humanity train
Mar 30th 2016
if you're very dumb, then you think society has changed a lot recently
Mar 30th 2016
yea, the industrial revolution and internet age
Mar 30th 2016
fascinated at your ability to skip over 'society has always been'
Mar 30th 2016
we're there now.
Mar 30th 2016
what does entertainment mean?
Mar 30th 2016
oversharing every goddamn thing
Mar 30th 2016
the narcissism being on blast bothers me the most
Mar 30th 2016
off a cliff.
Mar 30th 2016
Generations of increasingly weak dudes
Mar 30th 2016
the dudes that suddenly turn "photographer" got it real bad
Mar 30th 2016
you're older than me
Mar 30th 2016
      RE: you're older than me
Mar 30th 2016
           is Jeff Townes really taking second billing to anybody?
Mar 30th 2016
stop watching reality shows 10 yrs ago then make a post bout it
Mar 30th 2016
part of me has to wonder how true that is...
Mar 30th 2016
social media and reality shows are a product of society. we wanted this ...
Mar 30th 2016
the motivations have always been there
Mar 30th 2016
      i agree. but i dont see it this in particular as a negative, really.
Mar 30th 2016
           niggas are gettin old and not sure where they fit in...the end
Mar 30th 2016
           basically how i feel about it:
Mar 30th 2016
           RE: old and in between 2 worlds and confused
Mar 30th 2016
           if folks want to act like the kardashians, L&HH etc.
Mar 30th 2016
                no, the op was about that trash consuming everyday life
Mar 30th 2016
                     oh I read it, it was just all dumb.
Mar 30th 2016

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Mar-29-16 06:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "if u offer me a penny for my thoughts & i add my 2cents do i get change?"
In response to Reply # 0

*reality shows are cheap to make and profitable. i think we'll see a decline in "good" acting because the skill won't be needed as much

*social media will help more people earn money in entertainment. its self promotion on a level we've never seen before. "they" will slowly lose their strangle hold on the industry as more regular folk gain access and suceed

*narcissism will run rampant as a direct result of the influence social media and reality shows have on society

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 08:12 AM

2. "1984"
In response to Reply # 0

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 08:26 AM

3. "See: Donald Trump and Sarah Palin "
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

JellyBean
Charter member
16875 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 08:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Several stops on the loss of humanity train"
In response to Reply # 0

we've become a voyeuristic society. We'd rather watch and record and yell "WorldStaaaar!!" when men/women/children are getting beaten.

We have no respect, no empathy, no filter to foolishness and fuckery.

I want to say some other stuff, but I'll come off as bigoted and since this is where I go to pass my time at work, I'll keep my comments to myself. Read the sigs below:

"Holier than thou never sits well with me."(c)janey

"OKP spends way too much time looking for ways to be offended." ~legsdiamond

http://twitter.com/jeleighbean

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 08:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "if you're very dumb, then you think society has changed a lot recently"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:36 PM

18. "yea, the industrial revolution and internet age"
In response to Reply # 5

are pretty much politics as usual

and really don't create social change much

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

seasoned vet
6025 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 10:00 PM

26. "fascinated at your ability to skip over 'society has always been'"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Mar-30-16 10:01 PM by seasoned vet

in the op

its expected though

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 10:45 AM

6. "we're there now. "
In response to Reply # 0

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 10:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "what does entertainment mean?"
In response to Reply # 0

I caught RHOA the other night
we look terrible...

Intresting that Peter said it ruined his marriage...

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 10:55 AM

8. "oversharing every goddamn thing "
In response to Reply # 0

Mombies posting pics of baby's first solid shit

Political bros sharing group think articles and tweeting every THAT'S DEEP thought

People grieving death of loved ones -- clamoring for likes and comments (probably the worst one imo)

asinine complaints against companies on Yelp or their official Twitter accounts

Family or relationship drama aired out for everyone to see

etc etc

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 12:26 PM

9. "the narcissism being on blast bothers me the most "
In response to Reply # 0

nobody cares that much.

it really stings when its those closest to you and they cant take a step back and see how wack this really is.

stop tagging me yo

maybe i look at it too much from the "information gathering all these companies are doing on us" angle. but we are literally giving them everything, and for what? the gram? nah

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 12:37 PM

10. "off a cliff."
In response to Reply # 0

We created this "everybody is a celebrity" mentality that keeps every engaged in social media constantly one-upping everyone else for likes and attention.

IG "models" (I hate that shit sooooooooooo much) has pretty much got this down to a science. I see little flyers for parties or club gigs where DJ Such-and-Such is spinning but it's some seemingly random chick getting the real billing. When I ask "who the hell is this broad?" dudes are like "oooooooooooh... Ole girl from IG, she got a lot of followers and shit"

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac117/dont_panic4242/GIFs/000865r2.gif

since when are average chicks in overdone Elf makeup and booty shorts "celebrities" deserving of billing over the DJ or whatever other actual entertainer at the gig?

smh...

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 12:45 PM

11. "Generations of increasingly weak dudes"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Mar-30-16 12:45 PM by flipnile

>When I ask "who the hell is this broad?" dudes are like
>"oooooooooooh... Ole girl from IG, she got a lot of followers
>and shit"

Dudes sweat any old jawn nowadays, with no shame. The pedestals they build are bigger, taller and more hopeless than ever. "Men" nowadays elevate these vapid women on Instagram to a level above their own. Some real "we sick?" shit, but these dudes are too scared to actually put the work in and value themselves.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 12:54 PM

12. "the dudes that suddenly turn "photographer" got it real bad"
In response to Reply # 11

Though if you sit back to think about it, it's quite ingenious, actually.

These chicks are self proclaimed "models" (but ain't never walked a runway outside of MAYBE them pushed together office tables Barbizon has 'em walking on), so it only makes sense that thirsty niggas would start calling themselves "photographers" talmbout "Let's shoot" or "I need a muse" to every "model" in their area.

$50 DSLR from Ebay, $100 photography studio in-a-box kit, and a few stills you snapped at the mall posted to IG and suddenly you got access to every "bad chick" in your town... naked.

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:05 PM

13. "you're older than me"
In response to Reply # 10

so maybe you can point out the era when party promotion was a bastion of good behavior, intelligence and integrity.

because for as long as I can remember trash club owners, shitty clubs, unskilled DJs, broke niggas and strobelight women have kinda been around, and that seems to still be the case.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:15 PM

15. "RE: you're older than me"
In response to Reply # 13

>so maybe you can point out the era when party promotion was a
>bastion of good behavior, intelligence and integrity.
>
>because for as long as I can remember trash club owners,
>shitty clubs, unskilled DJs, broke niggas and strobelight
>women have kinda been around, and that seems to still be the
>case.

That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is how is it that these IG models are getting billing over the actual entertainer?

At what point in time did it happen that a DJ Clue or Jazzy Jeff might really have to take a back seat to or share billing with "Kandilicious Donk" from IG?

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 02:47 PM

24. "is Jeff Townes really taking second billing to anybody?"
In response to Reply # 15

or is it DJ I-bought-Serato

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "stop watching reality shows 10 yrs ago then make a post bout it"
In response to Reply # 0

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:21 PM

16. "part of me has to wonder how true that is..."
In response to Reply # 14

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12418919&mesg_id=12418919&page=517#12418946

considering the responses in this thread allude to having watched at least some of RHOA's reunion, if not the show itself, that year.

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:21 PM

17. "social media and reality shows are a product of society. we wanted this ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-30-16 01:24 PM by Government Name

otherwise neither would exist. its funny how we blame the things we create. like people didnt join OKP to interact with/learn about "celebs" (artists) behind the scenes, and overshare and be "e-popular" 10 years ago. same sh*t, more outlets

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:40 PM

19. "the motivations have always been there"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Mar-30-16 01:42 PM by MiracleRic

but that doesn't mean these creations don't imapcts things which accelerate the consequences of those motivations or make them more widespread

crack in the 80s taught us that

sure, human nature doesn't change...but the environment does and that makes a huge difference in what aspects of human nature become bigge, smalleer, badder or better than it was pre-environmental change

and since these changes are man-made...often without good foresight...we have these tangible shifts in culture and social norms

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Government Name
23190 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 01:54 PM

20. "i agree. but i dont see it this in particular as a negative, really."
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Mar-30-16 01:59 PM by Government Name

i think a lot of it is just ppl whining. for example, whining about social media and reality shows is just as popular as people obsessing over them. maybe moreso (i def read/see more ppl complaining about Kim Kardashian then are fans of Kim Kardashian).

reality shows are just the new trash tv. there are more channels, so there's more trash tv. there's also more great tv. people are expressing dumb sh*t on social media. people are also sharing stories and events that would otherwise go uncovered by traditional media.

this sh*t works itself out. these are just tools for people to do what they do. society is taking the tools places more than the tools are taking society places (for the most part). maybe its semantics.

________

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 02:01 PM

21. "niggas are gettin old and not sure where they fit in...the end"
In response to Reply # 20

it aint much to it

kids gonna be kids and always been kids
niggas are old and in between 2 worlds and confused and here we are

=======================================
Coolin...

Government Name
23190 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 02:03 PM

22. "basically how i feel about it: "
In response to Reply # 21

>niggas are old and in between 2 worlds and confused and here
>we are

________

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 02:46 PM

23. "RE: old and in between 2 worlds and confused"
In response to Reply # 21

you summed it up perfectly. that kinda describes me and a whole bunch of other people...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 03:05 PM

25. "if folks want to act like the kardashians, L&HH etc."
In response to Reply # 20

are specifically worse than the jerry springer slugfests that were on TV every day when I was growing up, I mean you can tell that lie, it just doesn't hold up.

seasoned vet
6025 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 10:05 PM

27. "no, the op was about that trash consuming everyday life"
In response to Reply # 25

but you skipped that part too

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 11:40 PM

28. "oh I read it, it was just all dumb."
In response to Reply # 27

if that's your life, you gotta change it. that shit affects me 0.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12996017 Previous topic | Next topic