Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12981245

Subject: "Toronto OKP's I have a Carabana question..." Previous topic | Next topic
Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1599 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 10:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Toronto OKP's I have a Carabana question..."

I'm going for the first time this year and I'm looking at spots on AirBnB. Where exactly is the main location for the festival? I'm looking to stay downtown Toronto but I want to make sure it's not too far from the festivities.

You stay classy okayplayer!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Anywhere on queen street west should be good.
Mar 02nd 2016
RE: Anywhere on queen street west should be good.
Mar 02nd 2016
      yes.
Mar 02nd 2016
The starting point is always near Liberty Village
Mar 02nd 2016
From DC. 4th Year Going. DownTown Sheraton Hotel.
Mar 02nd 2016
Depending on age.
Mar 02nd 2016
      RE: Depending on age.
Mar 02nd 2016
      For sure.
Mar 02nd 2016
      Well... yeah. Lol.
Mar 03rd 2016
Airbnb is a great alternative and depending on the location
Mar 02nd 2016
How far is Rosedale from the festivities???
Mar 03rd 2016
Google Maps
Mar 03rd 2016
it's not 'close'.
Mar 03rd 2016
      RE: it's not 'close'.
Mar 03rd 2016
           Must b a google thing.
Mar 03rd 2016
                RE: Must b a google thing.
Mar 03rd 2016

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 11:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Anywhere on queen street west should be good."
In response to Reply # 0

Ron Burgandy
1599 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Anywhere on queen street west should be good."
In response to Reply # 1

I know nothing about Toronto. So is Queen street downtown?

denny
11281 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "yes."
In response to Reply # 3

Cam's suggestion below of liberty village is good. Here's a map:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6390456,-79.4274685,15z

the actual parade takes place on lakeshore blvd (south of liberty village) and goes around exhibition place (also on map). Staying in liberty village or somewhere on queen street west would be close enough in proximity. Queen street west is a semi-hip part of town.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 11:10 AM

2. "The starting point is always near Liberty Village"
In response to Reply # 0

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8332 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 11:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "From DC. 4th Year Going. DownTown Sheraton Hotel."
In response to Reply # 0

...I know you said AirBnB... but uhhh... for the outtatown hub of things...

...it's a pretty good look.

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 05:50 PM

6. "Depending on age."
In response to Reply # 4

Staying at the Sheraton is for thots, young Americans who think they coming here to run shit and get smalled up, Its basically like a big frat house. If you coming with family its prob not the spot you wanna be at. If you got some money go to The Drake Hotel or find an AirBNB way from but / close enough to everyone in town for the festivities.

Ron Burgandy
1599 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 08:32 PM

7. "RE: Depending on age."
In response to Reply # 6

Airbnb seems to be the move because from what I'm seeing it's much cheaper than hotels and I'm getting way more room

denny
11281 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 09:02 PM

8. "For sure."
In response to Reply # 7

I've noticed that in general. You almost wonder how hotels are staying in business nowadays. You can get a nice condo with a full kitchen and way better furnishings for the same price as a basic hotel room. I planned a trip to Montreal last year that never happened.....but I was amazed by what the bnb's had to offer.

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8332 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Well... yeah. Lol."
In response to Reply # 6

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Regina Rose
Member since Jul 01st 2008
7349 posts
Wed Mar-02-16 09:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Airbnb is a great alternative and depending on the location"
In response to Reply # 0

You can be in the middle of things*

..and I'm not just saying that cause I have three airbnb apartments LOL (I can inbox links if interested)

To be in the middle of things you kind of don't want to stay anywhere more north than bloor st. No more east than like jarvis and no more west than Dufferin and as for south..you can stay on (or near) the lakeshore (which is where the parade is and SOME events but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time unless you really want to stay in a condo-style space ..youre just a bit removed for the "real" downtown core.
Those ^^ parameters cover a huge space all transit accessible so you should be able to find something suitable.

Its early yet so most places on airbnb may not even have their "caribana rates" up yet so I would move quick to take advantage.

Ron Burgandy
1599 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 10:30 AM

10. "How far is Rosedale from the festivities???"
In response to Reply # 0

I found a great spot for a great price there.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 10:37 AM

11. "Google Maps "
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Mar-03-16 10:40 AM by Cam

The parade starts right there near Coronation Park

denny
11281 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 12:15 PM

12. "it's not 'close'."
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Mar-03-16 12:23 PM by denny

Would be about a 45 minute commute. Rosedale is a rich neighborhood that's just outside the border of the downtown core.

I don't think you really NEED to be close to the parade. The other stuff going on at night is kinda scattered throughout the city anyways. So if you found a great deal/place you like I don't see much reason not to stay there. But you'll have to take a subway and then streetcar/bus to get to the parade.

This would be your commute:

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=p3LYVvLcFIqN8Qe9zKHQBw&gws_rd=ssl#q=rosedale+station+to+exhibition+place+ttc

Probably more like an hour from door to parade.

Ron Burgandy
1599 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 01:00 PM

13. "RE: it's not 'close'."
In response to Reply # 12

You have Rosedale, PA in the search. This is what I got when I put in Rosedale, Toronto. It says 17 min drive...is this not correct?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6631396,-79.41912,13z

denny
11281 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 01:40 PM

15. "Must b a google thing."
In response to Reply # 13
Thu Mar-03-16 01:56 PM by denny

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Rosedale+Station/Exhibition+Place,+200+Princes\'+Boulevard,+Toronto,+ON+M6K+3C3/@43.6546427,-79.4369458,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x882b34a84b403cc3:0x83e7e043f6b66ae7!2m2!1d-79.388795!2d43.6766791!1m5!1m1!1s0x882b3505f8605add:0xcc7ad61bcbba1b2b!2m2!1d-79.419566!2d43.6322512!3e3

Try that.

You're not gonna want to drive there....even if you rent a car. Parking and traffic will be a nightmare. Keep in mind....it's not like the parade takes place in a west-indian community. So all the west-Indians in TO have to commute there too. That's why I don't think it's necessary to be too close to the parade.

Here's a map of the subway:

https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/interactive_map/interactive_map.jsp#

You would get on at Rosedale station....take it to Union station....then hop on a streetcar to go southwest to the parade. It would be a much longer drive than 17 minutes during Carabana. the subway will be full of revelers and will be fun in it of itself.

Ron Burgandy
1599 posts
Thu Mar-03-16 02:01 PM

16. "RE: Must b a google thing."
In response to Reply # 15

Thanks! We've decided to stay at the Grand downtown close to the action. It's my first time going so I wanted to take it all in.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12981245 Previous topic | Next topic