Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12976026

Subject: "OK Travelers....how much did you spend on each international trip?" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 07:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"OK Travelers....how much did you spend on each international trip?"

Mainly:
Flight
Room/Board
Transportation within the city
Food
Misc. based on the location, such as shots, tablets, or other necessities

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Last trip was Italy/Austria/Germany last fall
Feb 18th 2016
small fortunes
Feb 18th 2016
See, I estimated 2-3K each trip.
Feb 19th 2016
depends on the trip and location
Feb 18th 2016
Our trip to Africa was easily over $10,000 if you count all those things...
Feb 18th 2016
Mugfucka you the IRS *gunshots*
Feb 19th 2016
depends on how far it is
Feb 19th 2016
Man yall aint never heard of Air BnB?
Feb 19th 2016
i am very curious
Feb 19th 2016
uh, yeah, why do you ask?
Feb 19th 2016
too much
Feb 19th 2016
Feb 19th 2016
sounds really expensive
Feb 19th 2016
how long was the trip and where was it?
Feb 19th 2016
RE: OK Travelers....how much did you spend on each international trip?
Feb 19th 2016
The least was about $300, the most was about 50K lol.
Feb 19th 2016
my brother just did Cambodia for 3 weeks
Feb 19th 2016
yeah i heard it's cool, i wanna do SE Asia at some point
Feb 19th 2016
RE: OK Travelers....how much did you spend on each international trip?
Feb 19th 2016
dominican republic, 1 month 0 dollars
Feb 20th 2016

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 09:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Last trip was Italy/Austria/Germany last fall"
In response to Reply # 0

>Mainly:
>Flight

1500 a ticket for me and my wife
did business class so of course you can get cheaper
>Room/Board

Italy was $200 x 5 = $1000
Austria was $150 x 3 = $450
Germany was $200x 4= $800

total room and board with taxes = 2500

>Transportation within the city

rented a car which came out to be bout $50 x 12 = 600

>Food

man im not even counting that lol
it was a lot

>Misc. based on the location, such as shots, tablets, or other
>necessities

no clue

if you going dolo with no kids and no wife you can basically half almost everything i did

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 09:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "small fortunes"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-18-16 09:34 PM by Crash Bandacoot

at least two grand each time. might as
well move there. luck up and meet some
cool people who are willing to put you up.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 01:47 PM

7. "See, I estimated 2-3K each trip."
In response to Reply # 2

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Latina212
Member since Apr 28th 2003
8731 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 09:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "depends on the trip and location"
In response to Reply # 0

Maldives was more expensive than Thailand/UAE.

Airfare to the maldives was about $1300. I stayed at a bed and breakfast located on the beach and food was included. I think that was about $800. I then went to a five star resort and that was close to $1400. Factor in transportation and traveling expenses...I think I was over 4K.

My ticket from Chicago - Bangkok - Abu Dhabi - Chicago was $1100. We stayed at these beautiful villas in Phuket that were about $140/night. Two days in Bangkok was less than $100/night. Thailand is really inexpensive. Abu Dhabi/Dubai was shared with a bunch of other people so the cost was low.

You have to factor in tourist seasons when prices go up. Staying some place further out to save money. If you like to drink and party and need to eat super fancy...it all adds up. And exchange rate! Factor all that in when selecting a location.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Thu Feb-18-16 09:55 PM

4. "Our trip to Africa was easily over $10,000 if you count all those things..."
In response to Reply # 0

It included 3 stops and 4 flights.

Once in a lifetime experience tho

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 07:44 AM

5. "Mugfucka you the IRS *gunshots*"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

blackrussian
Member since Oct 17th 2010
6498 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 07:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "depends on how far it is"
In response to Reply # 0

if it's Europe, no more than £500. Further afield, £1000-1500.

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 02:14 PM

8. "Man yall aint never heard of Air BnB?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 02:50 PM

10. "i am very curious"
In response to Reply # 8

some of the places look awesome and not too expensive.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 05:17 PM

14. "uh, yeah, why do you ask?"
In response to Reply # 8

lodging is like the easiest thing to find. i have used air bnb before, shit is aight. sometimes it's a little complicated for my liking. my buddy used it on a trip to aruba and there were hidden charges, though it was more the owner/hotel's fault (guy rented his timeshare week) than anything else.

i used it a couple other times with no issues.

overall i think kayak, booking, trivago and shit like that works better.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 02:49 PM

9. "too much"
In response to Reply # 0

plane tickets were almost $500 each
room and board? sheeeeeeeit, it's going on a credit card and being paid off over a few months, but it's an all inclusive resort with hella shit to do
we're renting a boat and going snorkeling, she's paying for that so I dont know how much more that is
add in an additional $500 for airport food, tipping everyone on the island and any other activities that might cost

we basically can only afford it because of the two incomes

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 02:54 PM

11. "12K"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-19-16 02:54 PM by Kira

Flight
Food
medicinal
MDMA, allegedly
electronics
covering costs while I'm gone
Likka
Strip Clubs

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 03:02 PM

12. "sounds really expensive"
In response to Reply # 11

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 05:17 PM

15. "how long was the trip and where was it?"
In response to Reply # 11

justin_scott
Charter member
19863 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 03:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "RE: OK Travelers....how much did you spend on each international trip?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-19-16 03:53 PM by justin_scott

In mid December, I went to Cancun/Chitzen Itza. Flight was $350, hotel was about $100 a night. Tour to Chitzen Itza was about $80. Spent about $80 on food/drinks while sitting at the beach. Weather was mid 80's. I was there for 3 days, 2 nights. Saw all I wanted to see

In early October, I went to Costa Rica. Very end of rainy season. Flight was $300. Hotel was $80 a night. First tour was $60. Second tour to volcano and hot springs was $80. Spent about $100 while there. I was there for 3 days, 2 nights.

In July, I went to Calgary and Vancouver. Flight was $350. Hotel was $125 a night. I've been many times. I probably spent around $200 while there. Again, gone 3 days, 2 nights.

Next week, I'm flying to Puerto Rico (ok, not international, but still). Flight was $300. Hotel was $125 a night. Renting a car for 2 days. Gonna explore on my own.

I have a few more years before 40, so I'm focusing on north america, south and central america, canada, and the caribbean. Cheaper, requires less time, and still amazing.

I will say this though, when I took my ex to Spain and Switzerland, I spent 8 grand.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 05:21 PM

16. "The least was about $300, the most was about 50K lol."
In response to Reply # 0

One time me and another OKP who shall remain nameless actually got PAID to go to Vancouver. If I didn't buy a hockey ticket it would have been free, spent about 200 CDN on that and another 100 or so at a strip joint.

I am currently on a nine-month trip to South America and the Caribbean and the shit has gotten expensive. I did my taxes the other day, between sales and freelance shit I took in 250K last year. I was smiling like shit until I looked at my bank accounts. Then I hung my head, and cried (c) Jimmie Davis. I LIVE WELL THOUGH.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 05:40 PM

17. "my brother just did Cambodia for 3 weeks"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it was 1/3 of the cost of when he did Amsterdam/Rome/Paris for the same amount of time. Cost of food was >$10 a day. He stayed in a hotel this time. When in Europe it was hostels and the occasional bench. There are cheap trips to be had just gotta choose the right destination.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 06:24 PM

18. "yeah i heard it's cool, i wanna do SE Asia at some point"
In response to Reply # 17

just did all this south america shit, i dunno after hockey season i either wanna go to buenos aires to live or go back to spain and use that as a home base for a while. but definitely a long swing to like the PIs, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia would be cool. my boy lives in Vietnam and loves it, most people who have been said positive things. seems kinda out there but fuck it, i wanna see it all eventually. do some shit in fiji, tahiti, some african countries. all shit my list before 40.

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Fri Feb-19-16 06:42 PM

19. "RE: OK Travelers....how much did you spend on each international trip?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-19-16 06:48 PM by rawsouthpaw

itineraries for me average 3-6 weeks about 3 times a year, like:
mexico (lots) 1-3 weeks
cuba one month
belize-colombia-mexico 5 weeks
philippines-thailand-burma-singapore two months

all told i've usually probably been at about 50-100/day.

>Mainly:
>Flight

skyscanner.com, usually 6-7 weeks out for supposedly best pricing. longest flights out to asia from LA for me have been in the 1000-$1400 RT range and are direct to/from manila, 14 hours. i chill with fam and then bounce throughout the region via hub cities like singapore on airasia and other lower-cost regional airlines that show up on skyscanner versus other ticket search engines. those short flights are often $50-125 one way.
my longest, furthest trips with multiple countries push $2000 in airfare.

>Room/Board
i sublet my place to folks in my circles usually with the landlord's ok so i offset that there. i also use couchsurfing.com for stretches and stints for free.99 housing (also great for real locals' knowledge and occasional debauchery). i'm hosting a funk dj from osaka, japan at the moment. i hosted a j-pop singer in the fall, and she was fun!
otherwise it's airbnb, hotels and sometimes hostels (some of which are pretty dope nowadays via review/booking sites).
cuba has a cool homestay system that many people use ($20-50+), and its now on airbnb too. i found a sick apartment in a 1920s building in central havana blocks from the water last summer for $10 a night. unreal. like most it's now $25/night.

>Transportation within the city

public transit, uber, taxis. i haven't rented cars. i'll do low-cost trains and buses over long distances no problem because time isn't usually a problem.

>Food
i ask locals for the dope spots depending on what i need. i have no problem rocking fruit and bomb local/simple fare a lot of the time, or cooking, like with hosts.

>Misc. based on the location, such as shots, tablets, or other
>necessities

local sim card and minutes for my old out of contract iphone (cuba: $30-50)
baggage, visas, visa renewal, and country exit fees need to be kept in mind (varies but some airlines and countries can add $50-100 or more). visas aer often not a same day process either.

i scuba dive so in the cheaper areas like mexico/se asia that still comes to about $100 a day plus related expenses
i try to do chill/fun shit like art-making in print studio in havana, take spanish classes in mexico, take capoeira class in bali, catch djs/concerts like dj krush in bangkok dance class in colombia, 4-6 scuba dives, do photo shoots, UNESCO sites, and hollahollaholla at girls as opposed to crazy shopping/spending.

burma and cuba forced me to bring all my loot into the country as cash because ATMS/global banking barely operates, so access to cash can be a consideration. bringing a wad of crispy $100 notes (maybe in a waist wallet) might be a good idea because you can shop around for a money converter with a decent rate when in country and also not get hit with ATM abroad fees.

wikitravel is a great site to prep, and the people i meet abroad via couchsurfing are awesome too.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sat Feb-20-16 09:23 AM

20. "dominican republic, 1 month 0 dollars"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-20-16 09:23 AM by akon

did some work while down there so everything was reimbursed.

after that: barcelona - madrid-frankfurt
flights: bwi-barca ~ 1100
accomodation in barca (4 nights) - 300$
flights barca to madrid - ~ 100
accomodation madrid -0$ (stayed at a friend's!!)
flight madrid -frankfurt ~ 80$
accomodation frankfurt (my best friend's house)- 0$

i couldve planned better and spent less - i had to change my return flight and that cost like 300$

anyway, im a cheap traveller.
i need to get better about getting cheap flights (instead of last minute bookings)

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12976026 Previous topic | Next topic