Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12969122

Subject: "Feminists, how does this song make you feel?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-05-16 09:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Feminists, how does this song make you feel?"
Fri Feb-05-16 09:29 PM by Jon

https://youtu.be/BtXm3lUeDkE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Always loved Eric Gale's reggae version:
Feb 05th 2016

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Fri Feb-05-16 11:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Always loved Eric Gale's reggae version:"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-05-16 11:05 PM by denny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJExnW9GXM

I would guess that you're getting at the assumed 'ownership' or something like that? Or I guess the 'hey baby, smile' part?

If you feel like leaving you know you can go
But why don't you stay until tomorrow?
And if you want to be free
You know all you got to do is say so

Seems like a reach but I suppose you could say that there's a presumption that she's only free cause he allows her to be free? Kinda like 'I've decided that I will leave you alone if you want me to' which suggests that NOT leaving her alone is one of the protaganist's options. lol. I'm TRYING to be critical but feel kinda silly. Is B Marley's 'no woman no cry' also questionable?

As for the 'hey baby, smile' thing. Obviously, there's alot of contexts that this is offensive. Like bugging a woman on the subway saying 'smile' while she is clearly annoyed. That's not what's happening in the song though. My SO and I might tell each other to smile while we're hanging out....trying to cheer each other up or something like that.

Maybe I'm missing something. I seem to recall someone saying this song was sexist in the past though.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby General Discussion topic #12969122 Previous topic | Next topic