Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12966355

Subject: "Wake-Up Call With Donnie Wahlberg: THE ART OF THE DOUBLE STANDARD" Previous topic | Next topic
lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wake-Up Call With Donnie Wahlberg: THE ART OF THE DOUBLE STANDARD"
Mon Feb-01-16 11:16 AM by lfresh

Could this be the beginning of a return to a reasonable republican?

http://splash.suntimes.com/2016/01/29/wake-up-call-with-donnie-wahlberg-the-art-of-the-double-standard-2

WAKE-UP CALL WITH DONNIE WAHLBERG: THE ART OF THE DOUBLE STANDARD

By Donnie Wahlberg / Culture / Featured / January 29, 2016
My thoughts on BET, the Oscars and The Donald — and the reason that being colorblind in this country makes you blind to the experience of people of color. Note: If you don’t read all of this, don’t bother to comment.

Let me be clear before I start: I am a proud, Irish-Catholic white kid, with a last name that sounds Jewish, a Boston accent and a Boston Public Schools education.

Sound liberal enough? Actually, I’m a Republican — a political party that has a more diverse field of contenders than either the Democrats or the Oscars. Go figure.

But, while I may have been a big fan of “The Apprentice,” the former star of that TV show will not be the recipient of my vote for president.

Because, above all else, I’m an American. And if we truly want to be a country where the color of someone’s skin doesn’t matter, then we must first be willing to acknowledge that the experiences of people of a different skin color — and the wounds that may lie beneath that skin — really do matter. And that to be colorblind in this country is to be blind to the experiences of people of color.

Which leads us to this:

“… Well, what do we do with BET, Black Entertainment? Right?” Donald Trump said, referring to Stacey Dash’s response to the #OscarsSoWhite issue — she called for an end to BET in a recent interview with Fox News. “The whites don’t get any nominations,” Trump continued. “… I never even thought of it from that standpoint.”

(Let’s ignore the fact that BET is actually owned by Viacom for a moment — which only makes Ms. Dash and Mr. Trump’s comments all the more absurd.)

So Fox News plays divide and conquer versus #OscarsSoWhite, then Donald Trump weighs in with this incredibly ignorant response about BET, but none of the people that loathe him for his anti-Mexican/Syrian/Muslim/Female policies, make much of a fuss about it? He gets a free pass? How the hell does that happen?

The answer may say as much about us, as it does about Mr. Trump.

Sure, candidate Trump is so blatantly ignorant toward seemingly everyone who isn’t a white male, that it may have caused many to miss exactly what his words implied (if he even remembers saying them). More likely, it was America’s own collective obliviousness to subtle racism itself that caused so many to overlook the ignorance of what he said. How else can you explain how immune we have become to television news networks’ (both liberal and conservative) use of divide and conquer? Are we not aware that it, too, is a form of subtle racism? We see it daily, like when an African American (Will Smith) says something the media deems controversial (“I’m boycotting the Oscars”), then a news network immediately finds another African American (Stacey Dash), to discredit that point of view (“Let’s eliminate BET and Black History Month”). It’s actually not that subtle when you are aware of it. I highly doubt that Stacey Dash will call for an elimination of the other 11 months of the year as a response to Donald Trump boycotting a presidential debate, if anyone even bothers to ask her opinion this time.

I digress.

Look, nobody should be surprised that Mr. Trump showed a complete lack of awareness, understanding or compassion when responding to Dash’s comments regarding BET. It is, however, surprising that everyone else seems to have missed what he really implied. Which is, that he thinks BET is guilty of a double standard. But to suggest that, only reveals that he never considered why black people would want to create a TV network to showcase and honor the entertainers that their community identifies with, or why there would be a need for a network like BET in the first place.

The BET network was not created as some means to discredit white artists, actors, films or musicians. It was created after years of broadcast television failing to have a proportionate number of shows that properly showcased black entertainment. It was a network created by, and created for, black people looking for more programming that they could identify with. The name of the network didn’t mean, “Hey, white people, keep channel surfing because you are not getting any awards here at BET.” No, that type of behavior has historically been perpetrated by awards shows like the Oscars. Hence #OscarsSoWhite. You can debate whether Will Smith’s choice to boycott is wrong or not, but you cannot debate the lack of diversity at, or the track record of, the Oscars. Nor can you seriously use the BET Awards as proof of some sort of black “double standard.” Which Donald Trump tried to do by saying:

“The whites don’t get any nominations …”

That jab is an incredibly lame defense. It’s also an inaccurate one. White people are, in fact, nominated for BET Awards. Yet not only have I heard that inaccurate sentiment echoed numerous times on social media, but for decades I’ve also heard, “If we had White Entertainment TV, we’d all be called racists.”

Newsflash: We white people don’t need “White Entertainment TV.” We already had White Entertainment TV. We’ve had it since the very moment that TV was invented — it’s simply called TV!

Seriously, is the idea of black people having their own network actually divisive? Certainly not. Especially when you consider that BET rose to popularity at a time when MTV was often cited for not playing music videos made by black artists. That’s right. MTV’s programmers were frequently accused of discrimination in the early 1980s because of their reluctance to play black music videos. Relegating the few black artists they did play to late night, or after hours, airing of their videos. MTV hid behind the excuse that, “we only play rock ‘n’ roll.” (Rock ‘n’ roll — which was created by black artists, then taken over by white artists, I might add.) Black artists eventually made their way onto MTV, thus generating billions of dollars for the network. But, according to Rolling Stone magazine, the playlist only expanded after CBS Records (now Sony) President Walter Yetnikoff pressured them by threatening to pull their roster of white artists from MTV if they would not air Michael Jackson’s videos on the network. Ironically, not only did BET then have to play second fiddle to MTV for the right to exclusively air those Michael Jackson videos — airing them only after MTV’s exclusive right to air them first ended — but now BET is owned by the same corporation that owns MTV.

Here, see the late, great David Bowie taking MTV to task on this very subject:

I wonder if Donald Trump has ever thought of MTV from “that standpoint“?

Not likely. Nor is it likely that anyone else, crying foul against BET, has either. Because if they had, they would realize that they are the ones who are actually guilty of a double standard. They are also the ones failing to grasp the simple concept that pro-black does not mean anti-white. Otherwise, why wouldn’t they hold other TV networks to the standard they want to hold BET to?

Does the Logo network, being pro-gay, mean it is anti-straight? No, it’s just pro-gay.

Does the Lifetime network, being pro-female, mean that it is anti-male? No, it’s just pro-female.

Does The Do It Yourself (DIY) network, being pro-do it yourself, mean that they are anti-hire a contractor? No, they just teach you how to save a little money and do it yourself.

So, why the issue with BET?

Simple: It’s a double standard. A white double standard that is based on race. And to discredit BET for reasons of race, is to discredit the black experience in this country. Because if a race of people, after being oppressed for 400 years, are not allowed to have one major TV network, out of about 500 channels, without some of us white people thinking it’s a problem, then we really have not grown that much as a country.

You know, the country that Donald Trump claims to want to make “great again”?

Great slogan. Just try remembering that America has not always been great to all people.

Yes, we have a black president. Yes, Oprah has almost as many billions as Donald Trump, himself. Yes, Ben Carson has given him a good scare in the Republican presidential polls. And yes, this country has come a really long way in a really short period of time. But there are still people out there trying to recover from centuries of the systemic dismantling of their identity at the hands of our ancestors. There are still many people, of different races, faiths, orientations and genders, struggling to find their place in our society. BET was created to be one of the voices for that struggle. If you start to think of them from “that standpoint,” then you may actually begin to realize that it is not only OK for BET to celebrate black culture, but it is also a vital part of the healing process of this country.

This commentary is not intended to inform African Americans of what they already know. They have experienced what it means to be black in America for hundreds of years, and no white person, no matter how close to it, can claim that experience as his or her own. (Sorry, Rachel Dolezal, that means you, too).

What it is intended to do, instead, is to suggest that we take a look at ourselves, and hold a mirror up to our own community, and point out some of our own hypocrisies. However uncomfortable that may be.

For the record, I don’t think the Academy intentionally snubbed black artists’ work this year. Though I can’t help but suspect that a few of its white members could have made a better effort to see “Straight Outta Compton” — which should be nominated. And somehow, I suspect many of the white folks, upset about the Smiths boycotting the Oscars, will be a lot less troubled by Mr. Trump ditching out on something as vital to this country as a debate to become the next PRESIDENT. Simply because he is mad at a woman. Seriously?

How’s that for the art of the double standard?

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn well done. The wahlbergs been cool with me.
Feb 01st 2016
Right?
Feb 01st 2016
oh? so robbing/ beating a blind man & throwing rocks at blk kids...
Feb 01st 2016
      you mean something he did @30 years ago as a drug addicted teenager?
Feb 01st 2016
      you gatdamn right, fuck that dude
Feb 01st 2016
           lol, ok.
Feb 01st 2016
      that's Mark not Donnie I thought
Feb 01st 2016
      you think Donnie wasnt running the streets with him?
Feb 01st 2016
      I can't just throw stones at a dude because he's some jerks brother
Feb 01st 2016
      post #1 said THE Wahlbergs
Feb 01st 2016
           Yeah I don't care for Massholes or Boston much myself
Feb 01st 2016
      RE: oh? so robbing/ beating a blind man & throwing rocks at blk kids...
Feb 01st 2016
           lol exactly. give me a freaking break.
Feb 01st 2016
Da Walbergs been cool. We gotta find a way to kill the Baldwin's though
Feb 01st 2016
RE: Da Walbergs been cool except Mark.
Feb 01st 2016
all of 'em, including the cash cow alec.
Feb 01st 2016
Good read, imagine if a Republican Pres candidate thought like that.
Feb 01st 2016
I want to belive some do and just troll for votes
Feb 01st 2016
      Crazy thing is, that candidate might actually do well.
Feb 01st 2016
I guess Donnie is the least racist of the family? But it's a sad article...
Feb 01st 2016
As long as Whites are still the majority and Blacks are still dependent
Feb 01st 2016
      Yeah and there's that.
Feb 02nd 2016
I came into this post skeptical as hell & ready to be salty...
Feb 01st 2016
i read it the same
Feb 02nd 2016
SHEEEIIIITTTT! Has this hit Fox News yet?
Feb 01st 2016
Why would it? Too many facts and truths.
Feb 01st 2016
      True! But again...
Feb 01st 2016
I believe most white Dems also on that WET TV
Feb 01st 2016
I think you're right.
Feb 01st 2016
So on point....
Feb 01st 2016
RE: So on point....
Feb 01st 2016
Nope, this is navel gazing lol. I used to think this type of self awaren...
Feb 01st 2016
basically, its that Macklemore...
Feb 01st 2016
RE: Nope, this is navel gazing lol. I used to think this type of self aw...
Feb 01st 2016
Good article.
Feb 01st 2016
Yup
Feb 02nd 2016
yes...and no
Feb 02nd 2016
      they aren't. and he's taking no risk.
Feb 02nd 2016
RE: Wake-Up Call With Donnie Wahlberg: THE ART OF THE DOUBLE STANDARD
Feb 01st 2016
what about Hangin' Tough?
Feb 01st 2016
      RE: what about Hangin' Tough?
Feb 01st 2016
I dont understand how he is in a relationship with Jenny McCarthy
Feb 01st 2016
she prolly fuck good and fun to be with.
Feb 01st 2016
basically
Feb 01st 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wcxHiorJ4
Feb 01st 2016
not that smart
Feb 02nd 2016
who cares what a marginal talented corny white boy gotta say
Feb 01st 2016
Wonder what you'd say if a video of Donnie pissing on underrated girls
Feb 01st 2016
      ask your mother and we will both know
Feb 01st 2016
           My mom would know what you would say?
Feb 01st 2016
to add: yall spend to much energy trying to find reasonable republicans
Feb 01st 2016
wtf is a reasonable republican?
Feb 01st 2016
      thats pretty much my point
Feb 02nd 2016
man, i dont know what is worse
Feb 01st 2016
This is 101 for alot of people.....
Feb 01st 2016
if Republicans could drop the ideological terrorism..I'd be one myself n...
Feb 01st 2016
refusing to attend the oscars vs refusing to attend the debate
Feb 01st 2016
Agreed.
Feb 02nd 2016
Love the part about BET as a response the MTV's racism...
Feb 02nd 2016
Don't have a problem with the letter.
Feb 02nd 2016

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 11:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "damn well done. The wahlbergs been cool with me."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 11:35 AM

2. "Right?"
In response to Reply # 1

Like literally dude self declares as a republican then goes on to write sensibly
I'm a bit shocked
And I'm meh on the wahlbergs
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6025 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:14 PM

16. "oh? so robbing/ beating a blind man & throwing rocks at blk kids... "
In response to Reply # 1

all while screaming racial epithets is okay huh?

Cenario
59181 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:42 PM

19. "you mean something he did @30 years ago as a drug addicted teenager?"
In response to Reply # 16

and was punished for?

yeah i'm not gonna continue to hold that against him lol

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

seasoned vet
6025 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:23 PM

26. "you gatdamn right, fuck that dude"
In response to Reply # 19

Cenario
59181 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 05:09 PM

38. "lol, ok."
In response to Reply # 26

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:53 PM

21. "that's Mark not Donnie I thought"

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79588 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:15 PM

24. "you think Donnie wasnt running the streets with him?"
In response to Reply # 21

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 06:41 PM

43. "I can't just throw stones at a dude because he's some jerks brother "
In response to Reply # 24

;)

seasoned vet
6025 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:22 PM

25. "post #1 said THE Wahlbergs"
In response to Reply # 21

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 06:45 PM

44. "Yeah I don't care for Massholes or Boston much myself "
In response to Reply # 25

but Mark's dirt is Mark's dirt. The others might be less garbage as human beings. I don't know -- not worth harboring any kind of feels over it.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "RE: oh? so robbing/ beating a blind man & throwing rocks at blk kids... "

>all while screaming racial epithets is okay huh?

Dog...come one...I got partners locked up for shit they did when they were 16-17....They in their 40's now....

Let's slow down on this one....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Cenario
59181 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:50 PM

33. "lol exactly. give me a freaking break."
In response to Reply # 31
Mon Feb-01-16 04:51 PM by Cenario

I wouldn't still be holding it against him if he did it to me.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Da Walbergs been cool. We gotta find a way to kill the Baldwin's though"
In response to Reply # 0

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:24 PM

17. "RE: Da Walbergs been cool except Mark. "
In response to Reply # 3

I'm cool on cuz.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 08:19 PM

47. "all of 'em, including the cash cow alec."
In response to Reply # 3

he's a piece of shit too.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:08 PM

4. "Good read, imagine if a Republican Pres candidate thought like that."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-01-16 12:11 PM by DavidHasselhoff

legsdiamond
79588 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:44 PM

9. "I want to belive some do and just troll for votes"
In response to Reply # 4

but I'm probably lying to myself.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 05:03 PM

37. "Crazy thing is, that candidate might actually do well."
In response to Reply # 9

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:21 PM

5. "I guess Donnie is the least racist of the family? But it's a sad article..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sad primarily because the people who should be reading this won't and simply do not care which also proves the exact opposite of "...if we truly want to be a country where the color of someone’s skin doesn’t matter.." we don't.

because this has to be explained all the time e.g. white entertainment television is just called T.V.

white guilt blanket statement in the form of "But there are still people out there trying to recover from centuries of the systemic dismantling of their identity at the hands of our ancestors." It is true that not every white person is connected to abusing black people -- maybe his family but not all.

I could go on, but hey nice try Donnie. Glad to see the money you made as the black member of NKOTB didn't go to waste.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 05:59 PM

42. "As long as Whites are still the majority and Blacks are still dependent"
In response to Reply # 5

on them for their subsistence, they don't have to care.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 02:36 AM

51. "Yeah and there's that. "
In response to Reply # 42
Tue Feb-02-16 02:39 AM by Atillah Moor

Sooner or later things will change. Probably sooner if Stephen Hawking is right.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:22 PM

6. "I came into this post skeptical as hell & ready to be salty..."
In response to Reply # 0

I was way off base. This was right on time.

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 11:18 AM

55. "i read it the same"
In response to Reply # 6

i looked for holes
so far there are none
its solid
i'm still surprised
~~~~
~~~~

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "SHEEEIIIITTTT! Has this hit Fox News yet?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:36 PM

8. "Why would it? Too many facts and truths. "
In response to Reply # 7

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:45 PM

10. "True! But again... "
In response to Reply # 8

>RE: Why would it? Too many facts and truths.

"SHEEEIIIITTTT! Has this hit * News yet?"

I wonder if any of the major networks will discuss this at all.

legsdiamond
79588 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:46 PM

11. "I believe most white Dems also on that WET TV "
In response to Reply # 0

mindset as well...

ionno, I don't have faith in people when it comes to this stuff.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 05:11 PM

39. "I think you're right."
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Feb-01-16 05:15 PM by denny

It's a product of the 'colorblind' philosophy. They also argue against employment equity programs and race-based social programs.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:54 PM

12. "So on point...."
In response to Reply # 0

It needs to come from their own folk....Bravo....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:02 PM

15. "RE: So on point...."
In response to Reply # 12

YUP!!! Exactly.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 01:29 PM

13. "Nope, this is navel gazing lol. I used to think this type of self awaren..."
In response to Reply # 0

was cute back in the day when I thought Peggy & Tim "got it." I am no longer a fool, this does nothing for Black folks/PoC. White people need the rug pulled from underneath them in terms of racial equity & this ain't it lol.

"Reasonable/Good" white folks will name the problem all day but take nary the steps in dismantling a system they set up to favor themselves & oppress everyone else. They wanna converse & learn instead of hiring Black people & quitting jobs where there are no PoC in positions of power. They down to talk about double standards, white privilege, etc. but they aren't down to lose stuff/put up or shut up.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

legsdiamond
79588 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:14 PM

23. "basically, its that Macklemore..."
In response to Reply # 13

we supposed to feel good because dude "see's it"

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "RE: Nope, this is navel gazing lol. I used to think this type of self aw..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/01/28/when-white-people-admit-white-privilege-theyre-really-just-congratulating-themselves/

There’s a strange, profoundly contemporary form of behavior that says a lot about our continuing problems with race and the deeply anxious, neurotic ways in which we’re confronting those problems: the ritualistic practice of white self-indictment.

On the Internet, white people have taken to acknowledging their own white privilege, and thus their own complicity in white supremacy. This behavior is undertaken, with eminent sincerity, in an effort to confront the abundant racial inequality in contemporary America. But like so much else in our society, the practice has ultimately worked not to undermine structural racism — the putative aim — but merely to deepen the self-regard of the educated white elite.

Last month, the New York Times published an essay by George Yancy — an African American philosophy professor at Emory University whose work considers race, racism and whiteness in American life — enjoining white readers to consider their place within a racist system, “to tarry, to linger, with the ways in which you perpetuate a racist society, the ways in which you are racist.” Only by doing that work, he argues, can you feel “a form of love that enables you to see the role that you play (even despite your anti-racist actions) in a system that continues to value black lives on the cheap.”

In other words, the first step toward solving the problem is acknowledging that there is one.

That’s fine as far as it goes, but there’s a trap within his request: public self-indictment is impossible. Which isn’t to say that I don’t appreciate Yancy’s attempt to address white complicity in white supremacy — I agree completely with the basic claim that we live in a system rife with racial inequality and white privilege. In saying that self-indictment is impossible, I don’t mean that it’s an unfair thing to ask of white people. I mean that if genuine contrition and meaningful apology are the purpose of self-criticism — for complicity in white supremacy or anything else — then the practice is a paradox because the very performance of self-indictment, in this context, functions as a form of self-congratulation.

Take a prototypical example of the genre. After describing himself as “white, male, heterosexual, Christian, able-bodied, tall, thin, blue-eyed, blonde of hair,” someone who “would blend in well in any country club or upscale private school,” Mic’s Charles Clymer claims that “acknowledging my privilege has been liberating for me; it has made me a better person and better equipped to stand beside those who suffer prejudice, often in silence.” Strange that self-criticism seems so similar to self-improvement, and is expressed in such terms of self-congratulation.

Yancy’s entreaty suggests this form of self-critique is quite rare, yet there’s an entire cottage industry devoted to it. Similar arguments calling for white people to own their privilege have been published in places like the Huffington Post and Salon. Popular sites like YouTube and Tumblr play host to hundreds of earnest white people, eagerly disclaiming white privilege and their complicity in white supremacy. White rapper Macklemore recently released his second track concerning his own white privilege. Those who publicly go through with this ritual are, ostensibly, undertaking the hard work that Yancy asks for, waging “war within themselves.” Yet they don’t appear to be at war, at all. Despite their declarations of guilt, they don’t appear guilty. If anything, they have always struck me as supremely self-satisfied.

White privilege, explained
Play Video3:27

Christine Emba and Karen Attiah of The Washington Post's opinions section explain what "white privilege" means, how it originated and how it manifests itself in America. (Claritza Jimenez/The Washington Post)
Take, for example, Elizabeth Grattan, who started out, at Medium, addressing her fellow white people by explaining that once upon a time, “I was once just like you,” before laying out the basics of white privilege and then sharply pivoting to “You don’t yet understand that the only reason you are able to be color blind is because you are white.” You. “Or a widely-shared 2014 comic from the site Everyday Feminism. Written by a young cartoonist, Jamie Kapp, it portrays a young white woman delivering an explainer, or possibly even a lecture, to her fellow white people. She begins by ticking off the elements of her own privilege, a kind of preemptive ritual common to this genre. In short order, she switches to informing other white people of their own ignorance on matters of race. She finishes by exhorting others to “make a change!” and “f—ing educate yourself!” I’ll set aside the question of whether anyone, ever, has actually been convinced by that kind of scolding. But I will point out that announcing her own privilege seems like a token precursor that sets up others to be verbally flogged for theirs. Which is always the way with these pieces; their authors pay a kind of grudging penance for their own white privilege and move on, inevitably and fairly quickly, to the white privilege of others.

This makes perfect sense when you consider that by showily demonstrating their willingness to condemn themselves, these white people really seek to condemn the white people who don’t. The unspoken but unmistakable logic is that by declaring themselves a part of the problem, they are defining themselves as part of the solution. It’s a remarkably effective maneuver: it performs a particular emotional act and in the performance accomplishes its opposite. We’re living in a time of broad awakening to the reality of deep, entrenched racial inequality. That’s a great thing, but even the thought of being implicated in this system has caused anxiety in many white people, that some address by outdoing each other to be the loudest, most visible opponents of racial inequality. The best defense, then, is a good offense. But Yancy’s entire point, of course, is to lower your defenses. This self-negating quality might not matter so much if the performance of self-indictment actually managed to create material change: Sure, maybe this is just another part of white liberal vanity, but at least it gets the message out there! But it’s unclear what asking people to identify their racism or white privilege actually accomplishes. Presumably, acknowledging white privilege comes before some substantively anti-racist action, but specific definitions of such action remain elusive. Just as in the fight against heart disease or drunk driving, awareness only has value if it actually leads to a change in behavior, and there’s no sign that these quasi-religious renunciations of privilege have accomplished such change.

This, in turn, presents a larger problem. The discourse of this school of politics is resolutely immaterial in its language, with endless discussion of acknowledging and feeling and admitting and occupying, almost none of which amounts to what anyone might consider doing. Disclaiming white privilege doesn’t lower African Americans’ inordinately high unemployment rate or increase educational opportunities for children of first-generation immigrants. The alternative is simpler, but harder: to define racism in terms of actions, and to resolve to act in a way that is contrary to racism. Someone who never confesses their white privilege can take small-scale steps to reduce racial inequality, such as voting for candidates who support affirmative action or being an advocate for diversity in the hiring process at their job; someone who tweets all day about the dangers of white supremacy might still reinforce it by clutching their handbag closer when a black person gets on the subway. When we underestimate the immense work actually involved in dismantling racial inequality, we fail to confront the reality that the self-indictment involved in claiming white privilege, by failing to do anything materially to eliminate white privilege, is a farce.

There may be such a thing as real self-indictment. But such self-indictment would necessarily be private in nature, either a genuinely internal act on the part of the person acknowledging their received advantage, or a private admission to an individual who needs to hear it. And if the admission is going to help chip away at white privilege, generally, it has to be tied to some form of action. To imagine that undergoing mental self-flagellation itself constitutes progress strikes me as progressivism at its most self-parodic. Yes, white folks, there’s value in recognizing ourselves as beneficiaries of structural racism, but that work is about building character, not dismantling structural racism. Do it on your own time.

And don’t clap too hard, conservatives. If contemporary liberalism has a problem with performative politics at its edges, contemporary conservatism has it, too. Consider the 2016 GOP candidates who are quick to argue that “as matter of policy, nobody in the administration will say the words ‘radical Islamic terrorism’” but are slower to outline their own strategies for dealing with terrorist threats, settling for macho posturing that has no earthly connection to particular military action. It’s a conceit that presents the same problem of performance over action.

My argument here, of course, is subject to the same critique: by indicting the people who so conspicuously acknowledge their white privilege, I’m setting myself on a higher plane than they are, and thus guilty of the same kind of jockeying for rank on the righteousness hierarchy I’m critiquing. But this merely serves to underscore the problem: anti-racism as mental hygiene is a road that has no ending. The question is whether our goal is to be good or to do good.

Yancy argues that many white people are hiding; hiding from their privilege, hiding from their complicity. And he’s right. What he seems to fail to consider is that by placing a premium on the disavowal of white privilege — and treating it as its own end — he’s making it easier for the heirs of white privilege to hide in plain sight.

denny
11281 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 05:25 PM

41. "Good article."
In response to Reply # 30

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 08:35 AM

54. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 30

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 11:19 AM

56. "yes...and no"

he's taking his party to task
are they listening is the question
~~~~
~~~~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 11:20 AM

58. "they aren't. and he's taking no risk."
In response to Reply # 56

i mean, good for him and all of that but this doesn't amount to much of anything. except a pat on his back for him.

fuck you.

Tiggerific
13451 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:01 PM

14. "RE: Wake-Up Call With Donnie Wahlberg: THE ART OF THE DOUBLE STANDARD"
In response to Reply # 0

This may be the greatest thing Donnie Wahlberg has ever wrote. He was always my favorite NKOTB!!!!

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:46 PM

20. "what about Hangin' Tough?"
In response to Reply # 14

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Tiggerific
13451 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 07:03 PM

45. "RE: what about Hangin' Tough?"
In response to Reply # 20

LOL!!!!

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 03:34 PM

18. "I dont understand how he is in a relationship with Jenny McCarthy"
In response to Reply # 0

he is too smart and talented to be messing around with that moron.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85069 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:48 PM

32. "she prolly fuck good and fun to be with."
In response to Reply # 18

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
79588 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:53 PM

34. "basically"
In response to Reply # 32

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 05:00 PM

36. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wcxHiorJ4"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wcxHiorJ4

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 11:20 AM

57. "not that smart"

still a republican
~~~~
~~~~

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:12 PM

22. "who cares what a marginal talented corny white boy gotta say"
In response to Reply # 0

tell that turkey to keep up sucking up to tom Selleck and play that role. this turkey can say what he wants because he in good,but he wasn't talking this talk back in the day.

just stick to acting frosty.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 08:35 PM

48. "Wonder what you'd say if a video of Donnie pissing on underrated girls"
In response to Reply # 22
Mon Feb-01-16 08:35 PM by Anonymous

Dropped

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 09:57 PM

49. "ask your mother and we will both know"
In response to Reply # 48

smarty jive turkey.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 10:05 PM

50. "My mom would know what you would say?"
In response to Reply # 49

Huh?

seasoned vet
6025 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:25 PM

27. "to add: yall spend to much energy trying to find reasonable republicans"
In response to Reply # 0

them people dont give a fuck about yall foreal

legsdiamond
79588 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:26 PM

29. "wtf is a reasonable republican? "
In response to Reply # 27

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 11:48 AM

59. "thats pretty much my point"
In response to Reply # 29

they don't exist lol

and for the commenter above you
you do what you do and don't worry about who or what i spend my time on
you can just as easily not spend your time on this site or in my post
~~~~
~~~~

legsdiamond
79588 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:25 PM

28. "man, i dont know what is worse"
In response to Reply # 0

admitting the double standard or acting like it doesn't exist.

neither changes the standard so it's a wash I guess.

denny
11281 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 04:54 PM

35. "This is 101 for alot of people....."
In response to Reply # 0

but it's pretty concise and would serve as a great introduction to people not familiar with these arguments.

'to be colorblind in this country is to be blind to the experiences of people of color'.

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 05:21 PM

40. "if Republicans could drop the ideological terrorism..I'd be one myself n..."
In response to Reply # 0

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 07:14 PM

46. "refusing to attend the oscars vs refusing to attend the debate"
In response to Reply # 0

obviously not the same but i thought that was a nice touch. just for perspective on how people reacted.

denny
11281 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 03:29 AM

52. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 46

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 06:12 AM

53. "Love the part about BET as a response the MTV's racism..."
In response to Reply # 0

and other networks not being held to the "must be anti if pro" standard.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Tue Feb-02-16 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
60. "Don't have a problem with the letter. "
In response to Reply # 0

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Lobby General Discussion topic #12966355 Previous topic | Next topic