Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12962526

Subject: "What do you think about these memory and focus pills?" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What do you think about these memory and focus pills?"
Mon Jan-25-16 01:26 PM by Case_One

I know a few folks that take them and they swear by them. One person is in a PhD program and the other is a Project Manager and Small Business owner.

I just started taking these Focus+ pills by Excelerol (once daily) and these joints have a cat laser focused.. LOL and Hyped. I need to see how much they will help with memory. This new PM gig has a TONE of information, documents, products and combinations of different scenarios that that I need to remember. So, hopefully I can improve a bit in the memory area.

I know that this is not a Limitless Pill, but I figure a little help can't hurt, especially since I don't do Cocaine. LOL

I did a bit of research and check out a tone of testimonials, but we will see.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
A nigga snorted Adderall a couple times
Jan 25th 2016
HHAHAHAHAHAAAA! You are Crazy!
Jan 25th 2016
Never tried that.
Jan 26th 2016
we had a whole thread about this w/Nootropics
Jan 25th 2016
I tried (still use) Adrafinil
Jan 25th 2016
      If you take L-Citrulline what's the benefit of taking L-Arginine too?
Jan 25th 2016
           RE: If you take L-Citrulline what's the benefit of taking L-Arginine too...
Jan 25th 2016
                Makes sense. Thanks
Jan 25th 2016
I been wanting to try that Alpha Brain stuff...
Jan 25th 2016
It's not a waste of money at all...
Jan 25th 2016
      See, I had the total opposite experience. It was horrible for me...
Jan 25th 2016
      I can see how it works...it KIND of worked for me
Jan 25th 2016
           Yeah forgot about this...
Jan 25th 2016
                hmmm.... i may have to pass....
Jan 27th 2016
                     but again, thats his experience, for you it might be way different
Jan 27th 2016
theres this thing called a healthy diet
Jan 25th 2016
Anyone use Excelerol or its new version Focus +?
Jan 25th 2016
Most of those formulas are iffy because everyone has different needs
Jan 25th 2016
I wish I could make my own.
Jan 25th 2016
      You can, all the ingredients are available in powder form.
Jan 25th 2016
           Thanks!
Jan 27th 2016
RE: What do you think about these memory and focus pills?
Jan 25th 2016
Thanks!
Jan 25th 2016
Have you ever tried Ritalin?
Jan 26th 2016
RE: What do you think about these memory and focus pills?
Jan 26th 2016
Can you tell me what each of those substances is good for?
Jan 27th 2016
RE: Can you tell me what each of those substances is good for?
Jan 27th 2016
Thanks for the knowledge.
Jan 27th 2016
In general you are outsourcing your ability to focus.
Jan 27th 2016
Whoo boy, this that good old school OKP quackery
Jan 27th 2016
      Plenty of peer-reviewed research on trancendental meditation
Jan 27th 2016
moda a/o armodafinil + 3 shots of espresso have a nigga like these:
Jan 27th 2016

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "A nigga snorted Adderall a couple times "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-25-16 01:08 PM by John Forte

It's gud

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:09 PM

2. "HHAHAHAHAHAAAA! You are Crazy! "
In response to Reply # 1

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 12:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "Never tried that."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Jan-26-16 12:38 AM by denny

I spent around 3 or 4 years on dexedrine though and I've heard they're similar. That shit was so effective. CAme in handy during my internship to secure the full-time position. Could drink a limitless amount of alcohol....I'm talking 20 to 30 beers in a day. Sex marathons could last hours. Could stay hard and horny but couldn't cum.

It also could make me an utter asshole sometimes. No patience with people and generally more demanding and annoying. Similar to cocaine....inflated ego and poor listening skills. I never acted out but could also notice my propensity for violence going up. Didn't like what it was doing to my inter-personal skills. Also gave me really horrific nightmares after continued use.

If I wasn't an addict by nature....I'd consider having them hanging around for the odd day that I need alot of energy and focus. Of oourse, I would never stick to those guidelines though. They were rampant in professional sports during the 70's and 80's. Especially baseball. They called them 'greenies'.

I would guess that Adderall is the go-to drug for baseball now. Apparently baseball players are twice as likely to get diagnosed for ADHD and get meds. lol. And it's the team doctor that diagnoses them. That's a very transparent form of doping. The Blue Jays have an up and coming pitcher named Marcus Stroman. Dude is so obviously on Adderall or Dexy it's hilarious. All bug-eyed and knawing on his jaw with his head turned to the side. By records, 12% of baseball players on it but I'd suspect the actual numbers are much higher. There's no way that guys in the clubhouse aren't passing them around. It makes sense because of the nature of the sport....the whole waiting to hurry up pace of baseball.

It would be very difficult to plays any pro sport against someone who has the advantage of taking it.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:34 PM

3. "we had a whole thread about this w/Nootropics"
In response to Reply # 0

consensus is that the shit works but you have to do some research and trial and error. what might work for you might not work for the next man.

that said....I really want to try Modafinil, i hear you become superman but you have to pay a crazy high mental/physical debt the next day so I'm really chill on being superman on monday and a rug on tuesday.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I tried (still use) Adrafinil"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jan-25-16 01:53 PM by placee_22

which is a weaker version and it works for me. I can totally see how ramping up to modafinil would give you that next day lull tho, because I kinda feel it with adrafinil when I take more than usual.

I stack it with piracetam and that's been the most effective nootropic combo for me. I tried alpha brain and new mood and as I said in the original post...that shit had me staring at the floor almost all day. Like I literally had to exert a significant amount of effort to raise my head to look at stuff.

Recently, I've just been taking L-Citrulline and L-Arginine and honestly I'm almost as focused as I was with the nootropics.

Oh and they taste like shit and adrafinil will make your piss smell like weed for a day or two.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 07:20 PM

17. "If you take L-Citrulline what's the benefit of taking L-Arginine too?"
In response to Reply # 6

>which is a weaker version and it works for me. I can totally
>see how ramping up to modafinil would give you that next day
>lull tho, because I kinda feel it with adrafinil when I take
>more than usual.
>
>I stack it with piracetam and that's been the most effective
>nootropic combo for me. I tried alpha brain and new mood and
>as I said in the original post...that shit had me staring at
>the floor almost all day. Like I literally had to exert a
>significant amount of effort to raise my head to look at
>stuff.
>
>Recently, I've just been taking L-Citrulline and L-Arginine
>and honestly I'm almost as focused as I was with the
>nootropics.
>
>Oh and they taste like shit and adrafinil will make your piss
>smell like weed for a day or two.

Just curious. I've seen L-Citrulline touted as a more efficient version of L-Arginine, but I might not be getting the whole story.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 11:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "RE: If you take L-Citrulline what's the benefit of taking L-Arginine too..."
In response to Reply # 17

In theory, the combo raises arginine even more than just citrulline because they are absorbed by different transporters.

But yea, citrulline alone is more effective at raising plasma arginine levels than supplemental arginine only.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 11:49 PM

19. "Makes sense. Thanks"
In response to Reply # 18

>In theory, the combo raises arginine even more than just
>citrulline because they are absorbed by different
>transporters.
>
>But yea, citrulline alone is more effective at raising plasma
>arginine levels than supplemental arginine only.

KnowOne
Charter member
39942 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I been wanting to try that Alpha Brain stuff..."
In response to Reply # 0

but was worried it maybe a waste of money & all hype.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:44 PM

5. "It's not a waste of money at all..."
In response to Reply # 4

It legit improves focus and helps your dreams have more context. My dreams are vivid and long lasting. No matter how many times I try to wake up it doesn't work and just resign myself to chilling for to let the dream play out.

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:53 PM

7. "See, I had the total opposite experience. It was horrible for me..."
In response to Reply # 5

I think these things depend heavily on your body chemistry and apparently Alpha Brain and New Mood were a bad combo for me.

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 04:03 PM

11. "I can see how it works...it KIND of worked for me"
In response to Reply # 5

i felt focused, i had the dream things for sure

but I hated the subtle sense of insanity that swam beneath the surface at all times, like, I felt a desire to yell and HYPER do shit but in a mellow way, hard to describe

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 05:02 PM

16. "Yeah forgot about this..."
In response to Reply # 11

>but I hated the subtle sense of insanity that swam beneath the
>surface at all times, like, I felt a desire to yell and HYPER
>do shit but in a mellow way, hard to describe

That's why I only take them before bed. The feeling is like being drunk or being xstacy, no clue what xstacy is by the way, where you feel like you could do anything and just might but have to control yourself. I've nearly hemmed people up at work, made out with random women, and damn near took on passengers in a vehicle after they tried to run me over.

... But the focus it provides and the dreams are worth it.

KnowOne
Charter member
39942 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 01:05 PM

26. "hmmm.... i may have to pass...."
In response to Reply # 16

I already have impulse control issues. lol

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 05:09 PM

28. "but again, thats his experience, for you it might be way different "
In response to Reply # 26

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 01:55 PM

8. "theres this thing called a healthy diet"
In response to Reply # 0

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 02:10 PM

9. "Anyone use Excelerol or its new version Focus +? "
In response to Reply # 0

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 03:55 PM

10. "Most of those formulas are iffy because everyone has different needs"
In response to Reply # 0

They cram 10-20 ingredients that may have shown some benefit in a study in each pill, but maybe 5 of them are useful to me, and 5 might be useful to you. So you have a bunch of stuff in there that you don't need, and may even be harmful to you. And even if you benefit from five of those ingredients, it's not at the optimal dosages, those you have to figure out through trial and error. So in the end, it's way overpriced. I'm happy that it's working for you now, but eventually you'll have to figure out what each individual ingredient does, and make your own stack.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 04:55 PM

13. "I wish I could make my own."
In response to Reply # 10

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 04:59 PM

15. "You can, all the ingredients are available in powder form."
In response to Reply # 13

You'd have to research them and try them individually to know what has a positive effect on you, then you just combine those things.
But, of course the pill formulas are convenient as long as you feel some benefit.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 07:27 AM

24. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 15

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 04:04 PM

12. "RE: What do you think about these memory and focus pills?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I have ADD. So my focus pill is prescribed. LOL! But, before I went on Adderral, I did take a few supplements to keep my focus. And they helped. The one I was taking was quite expensive, and there are cheaper ones you can find at GNC and whatnot. But, I am a big proponent of them if you need one. So, I would look at ingredients to make sure I'm not allergic or whatnot, but I say go for it.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jan-25-16 04:56 PM

14. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 12

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 01:04 AM

22. "Have you ever tried Ritalin?"
In response to Reply # 12

What's your take on kids and focus meds? Did you take meds as a kid?

My brother is thinking on putting his 6 year old girl on it. Two doctors (not associated with the school) have recommended it for her after long, thorough diagnosis periods. Tuff decision. He's aware of the over-prescription issues but her behavior isn't borderline. She's clearly autistic but functioning. Her social life and school grades are both under-developed. She doesn't really have friends the way most kids. She's also got a very highly developed vocabulary....kinda like genius qualities....with symptoms of asberger's thrown in.

Would you be likely to put your kid on Ritalin at 6 in a scenario like that?

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 12:06 AM

20. "RE: What do you think about these memory and focus pills?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's better to make your own stack. On a per milligram basis, you save money. Most importantly, you can hit the recommended/optimal dosages used in research studies. You rarely get those values in a pre-made blend. Plus, those blends tend to have ingredients that don't have much research data on their effectiveness, reliability, and safety.

I've found all of the following to be effective and reliable:

-Alpha-GPC
-CDP-Choline
-Nicotine gum
-Rhodiola extract (especially Solaray's Super Rhodiola)
-L-theanine with Caffeine (if i cycle off caffeine first)
-Panax Ginseng (Korean Red slighty over Red Chinese)
-Bacopa Monnieri
-Acetyl-L-Carnitine

I don't take all of them at the same time. And I only take whatever when I need them.

They all work better when I'm managing stress with meditation. I take Ashwagandha extract and/or lavender when it's hectic.

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 03:26 AM

23. "Can you tell me what each of those substances is good for?"
In response to Reply # 20

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 04:29 PM

27. "RE: Can you tell me what each of those substances is good for?"
In response to Reply # 23

Alpha-GPC and CDP-Choline increase the neurotransmitter - important to memory formation and learning - acetylcholine. CDP provides choline and cytidine. The body converts cytidine to uridine which is important for neuron growth. Alpha has more choline per mg than CDP. I definitely notice a difference (feels like caffeine w/o the jitters) 30-45 minutes after ingestion (w/o food or w/ whey protein and gatorade pre-workout).

There are also cheaper choline bitartrate supplements (if not in the memory/brain section, it's in the Vitamin B section of stores usually), but they have been observed to unreliably increase neural choline concentrations; and when it did, it did so to a lesser degree than CDP and Alpha.

Nicotine binds to acetylcholine receptors and can mimic the neurotransmitter starting a cascade of effects (egs. increased adrenaline, noradrenaline, and dopamine). Nicotine patches are too slow for us to derive a nootropic effect; smoking delivers it too fast and addiction risk is higher with the higher speed. There is still a risk of addiction with gum, though.

Rhodiola Rosea is what's called an Adaptogen. They decrease the effects of stress. Its cognitive benefits is secondary to being rather strong at being anti-fatigue.

L-theanine is a relaxing, non-sedative amino acid found in teas. Stacking theanine with caffeine, theanine reduces things like jittery hands but increases the attention promoting aspect of caffeine. Theanine + Caffeine has outperformed Caffeine alone when looking at cognitive effects. Interestingly, theanine can increase alpha waves which has been observed along the relaxed focus state of meditators.

Panax Ginseng. Like Rhodiola, cognitive benefits arise from being anti-fatigue.

Bacopa Monnieri aids with memory. Doesn't help with increased attention but has a calming effect. So, something good to help during stressful, anxious periods. But it takes about a month of supplementation before things happen. Bacopa increases nerve endings' growth and affects the acetylcholine pathway via the serotogenic pathway which would explain the memory enhancement and mood-boosting properties.

Acetyl-L-Carnitine is, for me, the mildest supplement on this list. ALCAR does improve blood flow in the brain; helps energy use; protective of mitochondria and neurons; etc. Note that there are many variants of L-Carnitine. For nootropic purposes, be sure it's ALCAR. Its prevention of cognitive decline has been noted in seniors. I did notice a slight attention boost from ALCAR.

Compared to Adderall and Modafinil all of the supplements listed are mild. Nicotine gum, Alpha-GPC, CDP-Choline, and Rhodiola Rosea help me in times when I only got less than 3 hours of sleep. But, their effects in that context for me, last about 2 to 4 hours. But their magnitude during that time frame are nowhere close to A and M.

Read more about them:
https://examine.com/supplements/Alpha-GPC/
https://examine.com/supplements/CDP-choline/
https://examine.com/supplements/Nicotine/
https://examine.com/supplements/Rhodiola+Rosea/
The rest of them are there, too.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 07:27 AM

25. "Thanks for the knowledge. "
In response to Reply # 20

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 05:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
29. "In general you are outsourcing your ability to focus."
In response to Reply # 0

Which to me feels risky.

I do suspect most of the positive effects of nootropics (and most drugs) are attainable through direct meditation.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 05:47 PM

30. "Whoo boy, this that good old school OKP quackery"
In response to Reply # 29

>I do suspect most of the positive effects of nootropics (and
>most drugs) are attainable through direct meditation.

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 08:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
31. "Plenty of peer-reviewed research on trancendental meditation"
In response to Reply # 30

You're doing an old school OKP routine of being intentionally ignorant. And you are one Google search away from stopping that.

Yes, meditation can change your brain structure.
Yes, meditation can induce measurable experiences of ecstasy.

Here are 350+ peer-reviewed papers on the positive effects of meditation, plenty of which having to do with the mind and perception.

http://www.tm.org/research-on-meditation

Or be dumb on a message board forever.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Wed Jan-27-16 08:58 PM

32. "moda a/o armodafinil + 3 shots of espresso have a nigga like these:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ha1odu94eA

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚