Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12956656

Subject: "okreaders: The Case for Scholarly Reparations (w.e.du bois)" Previous topic | Next topic
akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 07:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"okreaders: The Case for Scholarly Reparations (w.e.du bois)"
Wed Jan-13-16 07:35 PM by akon

this is a long ass article.... took me a while to finish
and as someone who absolutely loves w.e. dubois (what does it mean to be a problem?' that sentence has resonated with me over the years)
it was very much a worthwhile read.

im adding the scholar denied to my reading list- i dont typically read non-fiction, but..this sounds worth it

cliffnotes:

so, *not* the chicago school, but The Atlanta School.

"The Scholar Denied shows that the Chicago school was not the founding school of sociology in the United States. Neither Small, Park, Thomas and Znaniecki nor their students originated scientific sociology. The real credit goes to W.E.B. Du Bois, whom leading representatives of the Chicago School like Robert E. Park marginalized – perhaps wittingly. Moreover, and perhaps more contentiously, The Scholar Denied suggests that Park plagiarized Du Bois, and that venerated sociologists like Max Weber were perhaps more influenced by Du Bois rather than the other way around."

Link
http://berkeleyjournal.org/2016/01/the-case-for-scholarly-reparations/

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby General Discussion topic #12956656 Previous topic | Next topic