Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12947740

Subject: "What does "politically correct" mean? Does it scare you?" Previous topic | Next topic
Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What does "politically correct" mean? Does it scare you?"

If yes, please explain why.

I'm not sure what the official definition of politically correct is, or if there even is one. Whenever the phrase is used its coming from someone having an existential crisis because people are being more considerate to each other.

Do you feel there is an army of people lurking in the shadows waiting for you to slip up so they can tell you about yourself? Are you afraid the "tables are turning?" What demographics do you think deserve human decency and which ones dont?

(P.S. If you are a white male please add this info to the end of your post for research purposes. Thank you)

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
People who complain about PC scare me.
Dec 23rd 2015
How are race relations in Britain?
Dec 23rd 2015
yup.
Dec 23rd 2015
end post
Dec 23rd 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3_EdxODcY
Dec 23rd 2015
Any thought, idea, or concept that conforms to what those
Dec 23rd 2015
So PC to you is "colorblindness"/feigned aloofness?
Dec 23rd 2015
      Not so much feigned aloofness.
Dec 23rd 2015
           naw.
Dec 23rd 2015
                You're referring to epithets and slurs. I'm talking about everything
Dec 23rd 2015
                     i'm talking about your examples.
Dec 23rd 2015
                          Ok, I got you. And I actually don't have a problem with what you're
Dec 23rd 2015
                               RE: Ok, I got you. And I actually don't have a problem with what you're
Dec 23rd 2015
                                    Agreed but.....
Dec 24th 2015
                                         You bring up an interesting point.
Dec 24th 2015
                                         I'm interested in the grey areas.
Dec 24th 2015
                                         I disagree completely.
Dec 24th 2015
                                              We've debated this before.....
Dec 25th 2015
                                                   Nah. It's not 'pc'.
Dec 26th 2015
I think it means "not an asshole."
Dec 23rd 2015
correct. it means you listen and acknowledge how someone/thing
Dec 23rd 2015
Yep (once more).
Dec 23rd 2015
I literally said that at a work meeting last week
Dec 23rd 2015
A few weeks ago, a white co-worker of mine was trying to
Dec 23rd 2015
      RE: A few weeks ago, a white co-worker of mine was trying to
Dec 23rd 2015
           I disagree that the choice was between Indian and Dothead.
Dec 23rd 2015
                RE: I disagree that the choice was between Indian and Dothead.
Dec 23rd 2015
                I've been fighting that one since the 80s though
Dec 23rd 2015
                     work situations are different tho
Dec 24th 2015
agreed.
Dec 23rd 2015
Yep.
Dec 23rd 2015
When I hear the phrase "politically correct"...
Dec 23rd 2015
exactly. and hey beautiful :)
Dec 24th 2015
i've long substituted "respect" for "correct" myself.
Dec 26th 2015
its commonly used to mean "feigning concern to further an agenda"
Dec 23rd 2015
Being anti-PC is inherently hypocritical IMO
Dec 23rd 2015
RE: What does "politically correct" mean? Does it scare you?
Dec 23rd 2015
It's used as a way to control the narrative, and to limit discussion
Dec 23rd 2015
Yeah, this is just what I was about to reply with.
Dec 23rd 2015
      Yup, this is what I was getting at in #7.
Dec 23rd 2015
      naw.
Dec 23rd 2015
           And that's why it can be bad.
Dec 23rd 2015
           RE: And that's why it can be bad.
Dec 23rd 2015
           u love this "brand new" phrase as if it's brand new
Dec 24th 2015
                Your opinion of my posts is crucial to me.
Dec 25th 2015
Political correctness is the smallest price to pay to acknowledge
Dec 23rd 2015
lol but yep.
Dec 24th 2015
I fucks w/ Trump b/c he has no regards for PC ppl
Dec 24th 2015
Problem is Trump blames EVERYTHING on PC
Dec 24th 2015
      I wish it WAS a problem.
Dec 25th 2015
           true. that's part of what's so frustrating about it
Dec 25th 2015
                Shit is surreal.
Dec 26th 2015
It means you gotta walk on eggshells....
Dec 26th 2015
Folks in the Western world choose to be PC, you can be an A-hole unheede...
Dec 26th 2015
So you're fine with tactfully expressed covert racism/prejudice then?
Dec 27th 2015
      So you're fine with overlooking the part where.....
Dec 27th 2015
           Please look up the meaning of covert.
Dec 27th 2015

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "People who complain about PC scare me."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-23-15 11:03 AM by TheAlbionist

PC is the upshot of our society becoming vastly more inclusive and considerate throughout the 20th Century. The social battles the populace fought and won (to certain extents anyway) often require a certain level of PC behaviour in order to stay won.

If your society considers itself to have 'dealt with' racism or sexism, you need to be able to AT THE VERY LEAST tell racist and sexist people they are being racist and sexist and that their behaviour disgusts 'polite society'.

PC isn't about locking people up for being non-PC... it's just a wider version of Stetson Kennedy's "frown power". Non-PC behaviour receives frowns, "tuts" and rebuttals... not fines, prison terms and deportations.

Largely, people get scared of PC because it threatens to tell them difficult truths about their own biases.

(I'm a white Brit)

))<>((
forever.

Brotha Sun
6778 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:15 AM

4. "How are race relations in Britain?"
In response to Reply # 1

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "yup."
In response to Reply # 1

fuck you.

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 01:59 PM

17. "end post"
In response to Reply # 1

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 02:41 PM

19. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3_EdxODcY"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3_EdxODcY

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Any thought, idea, or concept that conforms to what those"
In response to Reply # 0

who believe in Political Correctness say is correct.

As an example, I've seen people claim that Black people don't tend to have identifiable accents. That's PC.

I was on a board discussion and someone mentioned people looking Arab, and someone else replied "what does an Arab look like?" That's PC.

I guess I'd define PC as pretending true or obvious things aren't true or obvious, not based on large and convincing evidence, but based on violating a set of principles.

In fact, we often think of political correctness as anything that violates leftist dogma, but this concept can apply to any set of dogma: rightist, religion-based, academic theories, anything. It's just that in our collective consciousness over the last 45 years, it's been mostly about violation of leftist dogma.

Brotha Sun
6778 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:18 AM

5. "So PC to you is &quot;colorblindness&quot;/feigned aloofness?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Dec-23-15 11:19 AM by Brotha Sun

Also: Please add your race to the reply for context.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Not so much feigned aloofness."
In response to Reply # 5

And it actually includes the opposite of colorblindness. That's where the pretending part comes into play - pretending you don't know how many Black people sound, to go back to the example I cited. You have to be aware of something in order to pretend it doesn't exist or isn't true.

Pretending that, on average, it's not healthier to be thinner than larger. PC.

Pretending that a healthy two-parent family isn't better than a single parent family. PC.

Pretending that XYZ observable thing isn't so, because XYZ isn't good or isn't supposed to be true.

The core of it, as I said, is avoiding stating truths or clear observations strictly because they violate a set of ideas about how the world ought to be. Those ideas can be shaped by social justice theory, Christianity, Islam, post-modern theory, belief in monarchy, whatever you want.

And I'm a Black male.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "naw."
In response to Reply # 7

in general i don't think there's anything wrong w/being mindful of the power of one's words and thus choosing words that do no harm or at least reduce the likelihood of harm. and that's all this 'PC' stuff you decry is about.

it really is about just not being an asshole.

fuck you.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 05:02 PM

31. "You're referring to epithets and slurs. I'm talking about everything "
In response to Reply # 28

outside of that.

Not this word or that term or that phrase.

I'm talking about that very idea such and such thing happens or exists or is a certain way, but we can't discuss any of it because that discussion would violate what is considered appropriate discussion.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 05:07 PM

32. "i'm talking about your examples."
In response to Reply # 31

originally i was addressing them individually but then i saw that my response to each is basically the same. and so i went w/a general response that covers them all.

again - it's about not being an asshole. so that's why sometimes you'll see pushback when folks are going on about not congratulating fat ppl on their looks b/c being fat isn't healthy. it's b/c that idea and those words are harmful. they hurt.

fuck you.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 05:13 PM

33. "Ok, I got you. And I actually don't have a problem with what you're"
In response to Reply # 32
Wed Dec-23-15 05:17 PM by Teknontheou

saying - you're disagreeing with my contentions about those particular ideas, which is fine. I know that because we're having a (kind of) open discussion about it. That's all I ask for in terms of society at large.

What I see with regard to political correctness is that the discussion isn't even allowed to happen, half the time. That's wrong, to me.

And btw, I didn't say anything about fat people's looks - I said health. There's a thing going around saying that you can be healthy at any size, which seems ridiculous as you approach the extremes.

Rereading your response some more, you're saying that we should avoid any ideas that result in hurting people's feelings? Nah, lol.

Being carelessly, maliciously or purposefully hurtful is impolite, wrong and rude. But if we're avoiding that route and just talking about actual factuals and people's feelings get hurt, that's too bad. And I say that as someone who's struggled with weight since I was about 10 years old.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 05:18 PM

34. "RE: Ok, I got you. And I actually don't have a problem with what you're"
In response to Reply # 33
Wed Dec-23-15 05:22 PM by SoWhat

>(And btw, I didn't say anything about fat people's looks - I
>said health. There's a thing going around saying that you can
>be healthy at any size, which seems ridiculous as you approach
>the extremes.)

that 'thing' going around is mostly an attempt to undo damage done by prior discussions of fat ppl and their health. plenty fat ppl are not ever going to be rail thin or model thin or have a gym-toned body for myriad reasons. and so they may give up altogether on trying to improve their health. the point of those messages about which you complain is to promote harm reduction. it's to tell fat ppl they don't have to get all the way slim in order to be healthy and so it can be worth it to work on improving health w/o necessarily focusing on getting down to a slim body.

that's a general trend in public health messages that took hold over the last 10 or 15 years - harm reduction. it can result in messages that sound quite contrary to the old relatively harsh/unforgiving/insensitive public health info we heard as kids and that old ppl heard when they were kids. it's about meeting ppl where they are and motivating them to make positive change even if they don't necessarily attain perfect health or perfect behavior. any positive change is worth it and so the new messages are softer b/c they seek to encourage any positive change.

fuck you.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 05:09 AM

36. "Agreed but....."
In response to Reply # 34

Look at the way skinny women are targeted under the notion of 'self-empowerment' in a song like 'I'm all about that bass'. I think that's a good example of what Tec's talking about. I'd call that 'politically correct'. It becomes acceptable to be mean to skinny girls because they are perceived as being inherently advantaged (which, fair to say, they probably are).

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 05:22 PM

40. "You bring up an interesting point."
In response to Reply # 36

In the case you made about barbs being thrown back and forth between skinny and larger girls at least how it relates to people of privileged groups who are aware of how they treat, in this case plus side women and plus sized women seeking to make a safe place where they don't feel slighted because of their weight.

As a Black man, I'm obviously less privileged than a white, straight person, but more privileged than a Black American woman or a gay man or woman. There are times when, for instance where I'll hear a comic make a joke to poke at male privilege, like a female comedian joking that men are 'fill in the black', dogs, misogynistic, what ever. I'll usually feel a twinge, like I'm intentionally being made uncomfortable. But it took me the longest to realize that the comedian is starting an inside conversation that I'm not meant to hear. Just like Black people will talk amongst ourselves about White people not aware that White people may be listening, or reading on the board.

It's more of a vent than a literal statement. As people of different groups are able to talk about some of their traumas, it'll be important for privileged people who are self-aware to read when their group is being talked about and when the individual is being talked about.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

denny
11281 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 06:38 PM

43. "I'm interested in the grey areas."
In response to Reply # 40
Thu Dec-24-15 06:54 PM by denny

And people who one might characterize as being too 'PC' have a reluctance to acknowledge those situations where the lines between advantaged/disadvantaged get blurry.

like the 'all about that bass' song. There's a lot of intersectionality in those dynamics of advantaged/disadvantaged. My lil girls are both skinny and both openly hated that song. When it was getting play I used to change the station if they were around. One of them (much more sensitive than the other) is mixed race....and came home crying one day cause someone said she had a 'white girl's bum'.

So think about how much intersectionality is going on there. Do thin 12 year old girls face the same stigmas and challenges as fat 12 year old girls? hell no. But at the same time....NO lil girl is free from body image baggage. Studies show that over-weight women are disadvantaged in all areas of life....employment, wealth, class. So I can understand the need to make a 'safe space'. But need that entail essentially doing the same thing that 'no fat girls' bumper stickers do in the reverse?

And similarly for race. Does my girl experience an inherited advantage in many facets of society in having light skin in relation to the dark skinned girl who said she has a 'white girl's bum'. Yep. But that doesn't mean the light-skinned girl doesn't have her own issues in regards to racial barriers/discrimination? We have to remember that privilege is relative. My mixed girl may be privileged when compared to a dark-skinned girl. But she's not privileged in comparison to my pale white bio-daughter.

But as stated numerous times in this thread.....political correctness is partly about being polite. But in these cases.....political correctness is actually used to excuse behaviour which is clearly NOT polite. ie white girl's bum/skinny bitches

I still can't believe that we accept the promo line 'Real Women Have Curves'. I mean....to me, that's an incredibly rude thing to say. That's not 'creating a safe space to empower yourself'. That's puffing out your chest and putting someone else down. But since we regard them (overweighted women) as the disadvantaged or unprivileged side....we are willing to overlook the rudeness in that statement. 'You go girl' and all that bullshit. I see it for what it is. Mean. And ironically, it's particularly hurtful in the EXACT same way that they are trying to combat in the first place. Sexual or gender-related legitimacy. A 'REAL' woman. WTF?

And like I said before.....privilege is relative. ALL women have to deal with body image issues. Yes, overweight women have their specific dynamics to navigate and it's probably fair to say that a skinny woman is privileged when compared to a fat woman. But at the same time.....any size of male is privileged compared to a skinny woman because men aren't defined and judged by their bodies to the degree that women are. I'm just trying to show the relative nature of privilege.

Again, I find these grey areas/intersectionalities interesting. But people who are often characterized as being political correct avoid these situations. They like well-defined oppressors and oppressed but real life is often much more nuanced.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 09:46 PM

45. "I disagree completely."
In response to Reply # 36

That song wasn't 'pc'.

fuck you.

denny
11281 posts
Fri Dec-25-15 03:38 AM

49. "We've debated this before....."
In response to Reply # 45

Admittedly, there's only one line in the song that is directly mean to skinny girls. The 'Real Women Have Curves' campaign is a much clearer example imo. They spend alot of time coming up with the language of those ads....I suspect it's designed to be a response to the runway model body types. Implying that women with that body type aren't 'real women'. That's pretty effed up. Couldn't have said 'Curvy Women Are Beautiful'?

It's politically correct because the tone of the campaign is clearly mean but is acceptable by virtue of our perception that skinny girls are privileged. In other words....it's mean to the right people. And this is what political correctness can and often does result in. The content of the critique doesn't matter...that it's directed towards a privileged group is the basis for it's legitimacy. The value is derived from who it targets....not the soundness of it's logic or validity of it's critique. This is when political correctness runs amok.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sat Dec-26-15 01:38 AM

51. "Nah. It's not 'pc'."
In response to Reply # 49

If anything it's maybe the opposite if involves trash talking or whatever. Definitely not 'pc'.

fuck you.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:09 AM

3. "I think it means "not an asshole.""
In response to Reply # 0

Somebody needs to write a Chrome extension that replaces the words "politically correct" with either "not an asshole", or "not overtly evil", depending on context. It would make transcripts from the Republican debates much more illuminating.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "correct. it means you listen and acknowledge how someone/thing"
In response to Reply # 3

requests/is being requested to be addressed.

i.e. not being an asshole.

people who whine about things being too PC can basically go suck a dick

Pete Burns
5445 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 02:45 PM

21. "Yep (once more)."
In response to Reply # 6

Hitokiri
Charter member
22097 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:42 AM

8. "I literally said that at a work meeting last week"
In response to Reply # 3

We were talking about people saying "why do we have to be pc about it?"
To which I responded -- they're really asking "Why can't I be an asshole?"

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:50 AM

9. "A few weeks ago, a white co-worker of mine was trying to "
In response to Reply # 8

refer to another employee here. Neither one of us knows that employee well. Almost nothing about that employee's title or anything pertinent to his job is that well know to us. The one thing that's salient about this co-worker is that he's South Asian. But she was clearly afraid to just say "you know, the Indian guy that sits down the hall." To me, that was her being PC - avoiding referring to his race at all, even though it was basically the only way for her to make me know who she was talking about. How would her just saying that to me (referring to his race) have been assholish?

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 12:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: A few weeks ago, a white co-worker of mine was trying to "
In response to Reply # 9

PC is saying the indian guy down the hall...

"being an asshole" or unPC is saying.. you know.. "The dot head"

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 12:13 PM

13. "I disagree that the choice was between Indian and Dothead."
In response to Reply # 12

She was clearly choosing between "Indian" and "not mention race at all". The former, to her, was unPC and the latter was PC. I could see the gears turning in her mind as she somewhat agonized over how to go about saying it.

DotHead is an overt, ugly insult and overt, ugly insults, imo, lie well outside of the question of "PC or not PC."

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 01:11 PM

15. "RE: I disagree that the choice was between Indian and Dothead."
In response to Reply # 13

Yea.. Thats when we go overboard. When the only description is ehtnicity.. it should be used..

as long as you aren't calling japanese people oriental

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 01:13 PM

16. "I've been fighting that one since the 80s though"
In response to Reply # 13

Long before the phrase "political correctness" was framed. Someone was trying to describe which member of the library department had brought the research materials to me because I wanted to follow up with the exact person who had done the research. There was one Black member of the department, and she could not bring herself to say "the Black guy" but she couldn't remember his name. When I figured it out, I was like, are you saying we should pretend he's not Black? Like that's something he should be embarrassed about and we should politely ignore? Come on.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 05:37 PM

41. "work situations are different tho"
In response to Reply # 16

For instance, in my own experience some Asian people feel outed when their race is mentioned. I am not very versed in Asian American experience so I don't know if it's perceived as a point of discrimination to be described by race.

I don't know if your coworker was White, but maybe she felt she was outing him and had an overwhelming bout of liberal guilt about it.

Maybe she sensed that he was sensitive to his race being mentioned and didn't want bring it up.

On one hand, you don't want to make someone uncomfortable, but on the other it's almost impossible to physically describe someone without a racial reference point.

It probably would be better to be cautious than bold at work.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 11:52 AM

10. "agreed."
In response to Reply # 3

fuck you.

Pete Burns
5445 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 02:45 PM

20. "Yep."
In response to Reply # 3

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 01:09 PM

14. "When I hear the phrase "politically correct"..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I mentally substitute the word "polite." And I think that "polite" means caring about the feelings and experiences of other people and not being entirely self-centered.

And then I think about all the assholes who are complaining about "political correctness" and how they also complain that society used to be more pleasant and polite and I think that this all comes down to "I want to say what I want and be as rude as I want but I don't want anyone to say anything that hurts my feelings."

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35861 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 10:41 AM

38. "exactly. and hey beautiful :)"
In response to Reply # 14

good to see you here.

d

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Sat Dec-26-15 01:21 AM

50. "i've long substituted "respect" for "correct" myself. "
In response to Reply # 14

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 02:38 PM

18. "its commonly used to mean "feigning concern to further an agenda""
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-23-15 02:40 PM by hardware

in order to take the power away from someone legitimately caring about something

for people who complain about it, its a way of saying 'you don't actually care about that thing you said you care about'

Ted Gee Seal
Member since Apr 18th 2007
10091 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 03:17 PM

22. "Being anti-PC is inherently hypocritical IMO"
In response to Reply # 0

What they're actually saying is they're upset that their form of political correctness isn't the dominant form. What they miss is their version wants to stifle dissenting voices.

Also, the anti-PC message is a tantrum that's borne out of the inability to substantively counter the prevailing wisdom. If they had a logical argument that justified their views you can bet they'd use it, but they don't so they throw out a word (because it's getting harder to use racial/gender slurs or labels like socialist and communist effectively) hoping that the stigma attached will silence what their irrational thought cannot.

Just IMO though.

Novembersgift
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16972 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:05 PM

23. "RE: What does "politically correct" mean? Does it scare you?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a coworker who is always on about how PC the Millenials are and how we're ruining everything because of it. She says people just whine about being offended nowadays whereas in the "good ol days" people apparently were never offended at all. Or if they were they just sucked it up and didn't play victim. She is white and middle-aged from West Virginia, btw.

To me this is ridiculous because I bet a bunch of people's grandparents and great grandparents can tell you how in the old days they were very much victimized and offended. Consequences for speaking up about it, however, were different.

Sounds like she and people like her are just pissed that they're being called on the carpet.

Sure, in some cases there are people waiting for you to slip up, especially folks who JUST learned the word "appropriation" or "social justice" (I could go on about that, the little baby progressives...). But in most cases you've gotta be asshole-determined to hear someone say XYZ offends me and be like "you saying you're offended offends me."

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13561 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:23 PM

24. "It's used as a way to control the narrative, and to limit discussion"
In response to Reply # 0

My first thought is Post #3, but there's more to it than just not offending someone.

The problem is, people can be offended about *anything* so there is no way to truly "not be an asshole" to someone (unless one says nothing at all). The old saying:

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time."

We've moved from slurs being the trigger that offends someone, to *concepts* and *ideas* being the trigger that offends someone. Political correctness is a slippery slope and should be treated with suspicion by anyone that values freedom of expression.

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:42 PM

25. "Yeah, this is just what I was about to reply with."
In response to Reply # 24

Political correctness is bad when it's used as a way to silence and muffle ideas under the guise of nobility.

And the ideas thing is a good point...is it PC or not to say, for example, that children from fatherless homes commit more crimes? (In the context of a larger-scope discussion, of course.) Can facts be non-PC? I feel like often they are a target of PC police.

>My first thought is Post #3, but there's more to it than just
>not offending someone.
>
>The problem is, people can be offended about *anything* so
>there is no way to truly "not be an asshole" to someone
>(unless one says nothing at all). The old saying:
>
>"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can
>please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t
>please all of the people all of the time."
>
>We've moved from slurs being the trigger that offends someone,
>to *concepts* and *ideas* being the trigger that offends
>someone. Political correctness is a slippery slope and should
>be treated with suspicion by anyone that values freedom of
>expression.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:45 PM

26. "Yup, this is what I was getting at in #7."
In response to Reply # 25

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:46 PM

27. "naw."
In response to Reply # 25

>Political correctness is bad when it's used as a way to
>silence and muffle ideas under the guise of nobility.

b/c we ain't brand new.

we know that too often 'ideas' and 'discussion' are used to attack.

like:

>And the ideas thing is a good point...is it PC or not to say,
>for example, that children from fatherless homes commit more
>crimes?

it would depend on the context. is the question being asked genuinely or rhetorically? if genuine then it's intended to foster discussion. that's fine. but if it's rhetorical then that's bullshit. and that's when you might find the 'PC police' (what a loaded, awful phrase - it speaks volumes about those who use it) going on the offensive.

fuck you.

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:58 PM

29. "And that's why it can be bad."
In response to Reply # 27

>>Political correctness is bad when it's used as a way to
>>silence and muffle ideas under the guise of nobility.
>
>b/c we ain't brand new.
>
>we know that too often 'ideas' and 'discussion' are used to
>attack.
>

It's too easy to halt a discussion and accuse someone of attack or aggression because they used a word you don't like.

>like:
>
>>And the ideas thing is a good point...is it PC or not to
>say,
>>for example, that children from fatherless homes commit more
>>crimes?
>
>it would depend on the context. is the question being asked
>genuinely or rhetorically?

Certainly. That's why I qualified it as being in-context.

if genuine then it's intended to
>foster discussion. that's fine. but if it's rhetorical then
>that's bullshit. and that's when you might find the 'PC
>police' (what a loaded, awful phrase - it speaks volumes about
>those who use it) going on the offensive.
>

Fair enough

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 04:59 PM

30. "RE: And that's why it can be bad."
In response to Reply # 29

>It's too easy to halt a discussion and accuse someone of
>attack or aggression because they used a word you don't like.

it's too easy to halt a discussion by attacking w/a word.

sometimes it's worth it to call out that ^ bullshit. again - we ain't brand new.

fuck you.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 10:53 AM

39. "u love this "brand new" phrase as if it's brand new"
In response to Reply # 27

whenever i see u pull it out i assume you are on the wrong end of the argument even if you have valid points

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Dec-25-15 02:48 AM

48. "Your opinion of my posts is crucial to me."
In response to Reply # 39
Fri Dec-25-15 02:57 AM by SoWhat

I will work on avoiding phrases that you dislike or that negatively impact your opinion of my posts. Thank you for letting me know. I really care what you think about what I post here. I wish I could go back and edit all of my posts to remove any phrases that irk you. But I cant. I will just have to live on knowing that you have sometimes assumed I'm wrong bc I used a certain phrase even when I've said something with which you agree. I may have to get some counseling to help manage the stress I feel knowing my phrasing creates this feeling within you. Maybe I need prayer. I don't know what to do!

fuck you.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49377 posts
Wed Dec-23-15 05:26 PM

35. "Political correctness is the smallest price to pay to acknowledge"
In response to Reply # 0

White male supremacy.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

denny
11281 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 05:25 AM

37. "lol but yep."
In response to Reply # 35
Thu Dec-24-15 05:43 AM by denny

I think that analyzing language and deconstructing the connatations and meanings of words is important. For example....the manner in which the word 'women' relates to the word 'men' DOES carry with it a suggestion about gender dynamics. I should probly let a feminist sum this up....but the word 'women' implicitly suggests that they are a subset of a greater category ('men'). It's like telling a child that one shade of color is yellow....and the other shade is an orangish yellow. There's a hierarchy of definitional standing suggested by that and there's no doubt in my mind that it affects the way children see gender dynamics.....our words carry implicit assumptions and connatations. Some people would laugh at that type of analysis and say that it's politically correct nonsense. I think there's value and function there.

Language shapes the way we see the world and there's good reason to explore how/why it does that. And we can exercise conscious domain over language....we can intervene in how it shapes our reality and perspective.

Consider the word 'retard' or 'imbecile'. We might argue that using those words to describe a 'mentally challenged' individual dehumanizes them. So we consciously intervene and make new language in the aim to change that reality. It's not JUST about being polite. We're trying to shape the way we see the world. There's nothing new about this. It's how language works.

So the benefits of what's referred to as PC movement far outweigh any drawbacks imo. I don't think it's self-contradicting to support the 'PC movement' while also acknowledging that along the way we can employ language intervention in a misguided way....or in a way that overcompensates for it's intended goal. There are different ways that can happen....amongst them, turning the suppressed into an oppressor.....the ignored into the over-indulged. But I think that's just the nature of becoming more civilized or over-turning a previously unethical/problematic social paradigm.

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 05:42 PM

42. "I fucks w/ Trump b/c he has no regards for PC ppl"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Mynoriti
Charter member
38810 posts
Thu Dec-24-15 09:27 PM

44. "Problem is Trump blames EVERYTHING on PC"
In response to Reply # 42

if he gets caught in lie, he blames political correctness even though it has nothing do do with anything.

Trump could make fun of a 4 year old girl dying of cancer for being bald, then blame PC over-sensitivity if her parents or anyone else reacted

Political oorrectness can be annoying at times, but it's pretty much just been his go-to excuse for being a piece of shit

denny
11281 posts
Fri Dec-25-15 01:34 AM

46. "I wish it WAS a problem."
In response to Reply # 44

But it's not. It's a strategy....and it's working. This is exactly how Rob Ford got elected in Toronto. There is a silent majority that is absolutely eating this shit up and it's sad as hell to watch.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38810 posts
Fri Dec-25-15 02:20 AM

47. "true. that's part of what's so frustrating about it"
In response to Reply # 46

especially since half the time he brings it up it doesn't even have anything to do with being PC.

like talking about thousands of muslims on a jersey rooftop partying over 9/11. when people pointed how there's zero proof of that ever happening, instead of producing any kind of proof, his response was, "i saw it. it's just not PC to talk about it."

and people were like "Ugh, I hate that PC bullshit. You can't even say anything anymore! Good on Trump for stading up to it"

>But it's not. It's a strategy....and it's working. This is
>exactly how Rob Ford got elected in Toronto. There is a
>silent majority that is absolutely eating this shit up and
>it's sad as hell to watch.

Yeah. Not that i'm convinced Trump will win, but i think he has a much better shot than people want to believe. The people i've spoke to who like him all tend to be the types who don't really follow politics. but they know they hate hilary (even though they couldn't tell you why)and political correctness. whether or not they'll vote is another story.

denny
11281 posts
Sat Dec-26-15 02:21 AM

52. "Shit is surreal."
In response to Reply # 47

Thing is....I can't even imagine being around someone who would vote for Trump. lol. Maybe I'm just surrounded by liberalism cause of my circle and living in the city. These people MUST exist....I just don't know any of them. Then again...it was the same with Ford. He got elected as mayor while I literally don't know ANYONE who publically supported him.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sat Dec-26-15 04:47 PM

53. "It means you gotta walk on eggshells...."
In response to Reply # 0

....lest some weak minded crybaby get their overly sensitive feelings hurt. Being respectful of others is one thing. Having to watch your mouth and viewpoints no matter how tactful you've expressed yourself for EVERY little thing is wack.

Since 1976

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sat Dec-26-15 05:18 PM

54. "Folks in the Western world choose to be PC, you can be an A-hole unheede..."
In response to Reply # 53

>....lest some weak minded crybaby get their overly sensitive
>feelings hurt. Being respectful of others is one thing. Having
>to watch your mouth and viewpoints no matter how tactful
>you've expressed yourself for EVERY little thing is wack.
>

It's cats that live under authoritarian rule that have to walk on egg shells & mince their words. In the West, you just have to be professional at the work place but you are free to do as you wish off the clock.

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Ted Gee Seal
10091 posts
Sun Dec-27-15 04:20 PM

55. "So you're fine with tactfully expressed covert racism/prejudice then?"
In response to Reply # 53
Sun Dec-27-15 04:21 PM by Ted Gee Seal

People should be able to express those sentiments without being called out on those statements?

Just IMO though.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sun Dec-27-15 05:09 PM

56. "So you're fine with overlooking the part where....."
In response to Reply # 55

....I addressed being respectful, right? Let's not start being disingenuous and act like racism and sexism are the only things that PC types have acted offended about.

Since 1976

Ted Gee Seal
10091 posts
Sun Dec-27-15 09:24 PM

57. "Please look up the meaning of covert."
In response to Reply # 56

If you already know what that means look up the word disingenuous.

Tactful, respectful, both words that are up to interpretation. If you don't like people expressing an interpretation that's different to your own then perhaps you should disclose your opposition to freedom of speech. Or, you could opt not to be weak minded about your own opinion and stand up for what you think is right no matter what the so called PC brigade says.

Just IMO though.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12947740 Previous topic | Next topic