Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12910291

Subject: "what slights, if any, would you put up with to support a small business?" Previous topic | Next topic
BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what slights, if any, would you put up with to support a small business?"

there are a couple of food spots i go to that have business practices that i wouldnt put up with from a larger or chain restaurant. they do stuff like

*don't stick to the posted hours

*struggles to make change when i pay with a $20

*frequently runs out of food or key ingredients for food

but when i finally get my food, the food is great. and since they're a small business, i continue to go there even with them annoying me the way they do. i've spoken with the owners who are always cool but they always have an explanation for whatever went wrong. they got explanations but no solutions since it keeps happening.

anyway, do you give small businesses breaks you wouldn't give bigger establishments?

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Slow/unreliable service.
Oct 13th 2015
I don't really put up with much. If the customer service isn't good
Oct 13th 2015
lack of time management skills
Oct 13th 2015
i'd put up with poor/unprofessional customer service if the price was ri...
Oct 13th 2015
none. why yall so eager to let people cut corners.
Oct 13th 2015
cause they product is good.
Oct 13th 2015
none of that seems like a big deal. you went for food, you got it
Oct 13th 2015
small shop may not answer their phone..you make the trip to go there
Oct 13th 2015
running out of food is definitely not a big deal. It happens
Oct 13th 2015
      Eh family stuff comes up... Employees don't show up
Oct 15th 2015
diahhrea
Oct 13th 2015
None really. What's the point? Business is business.
Oct 13th 2015
Cash only........i talk shit the whole time but i'll allow it
Oct 13th 2015
Literally 10 minutes ago we cut off a Black owned spot.
Oct 15th 2015
i often go to a local pizza joint with terrible customer service
Oct 15th 2015
Long lines and recently I kept supporting a Black
Oct 15th 2015
I had a dr I would always schedule 8am, first appt if the day
Oct 15th 2015
I just quit messing with a black vintage seller here over that
Oct 15th 2015

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Slow/unreliable service."
In response to Reply # 0

"1) God doesn't exist

2) And anyhow he's stupid"
—Philip K. Dick

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't really put up with much. If the customer service isn't good "
In response to Reply # 0

odds are I'll come a few times and then stop. If the food however is that good I'll come on occasion until the business inevitably fails or until I leave the area -- whichever comes first.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:53 PM

3. "lack of time management skills"
In response to Reply # 0

I've stayed at a hairdresser for *hours* because the stylist was overbooked and/or arrived late. I'm at the point of paying more for a stylist just to have my time respected.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59169 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:58 PM

4. "i'd put up with poor/unprofessional customer service if the price was ri..."
In response to Reply # 0

i had my wife's engagement and wedding ring done by a private jeweler. I got the rings for like a 3rd of the price I would have paid from a retailer.

This nigga however, don't return phone calls or stick to deadlines. I haaaad to keep on this dude. Got the wedding ring 2 days before the wedding smh.

Was worth it tho bc i wouldn't be able to afford what i got, otherwise.

Wouldn't deal with him again tho....unless he's saving me thousands of dollars again.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:21 PM

5. "none. why yall so eager to let people cut corners."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Cenario
59169 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:57 PM

7. "cause they product is good."
In response to Reply # 5

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:41 PM

6. "none of that seems like a big deal. you went for food, you got it"
In response to Reply # 0

call ahead to see what they're serving that day, what the hours are etc and bring change.

Cenario
59169 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:58 PM

8. "small shop may not answer their phone..you make the trip to go there"
In response to Reply # 6

during 'normal hours' and they are closed...that's highly annoying specially if you hungry.

I can see how someone will cut a shop off for that.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 03:02 PM

10. "running out of food is definitely not a big deal. It happens"
In response to Reply # 6

Not keeping hours is wildly unprofessionnal. Once or twice, for emergencies, fine. If it's habitual (which it is for a lot of small restaurants, restaurants, bakeries and the like), then they deserve to fail.

As far as the change goes, it happens, but the business had better be prepared to err on the side of the customer by either giving them more change than they deserve (you paid for a $7.50 item with a 20, they may have to give you $15 back if they don't have singles) or completely comping the meal.

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 10:39 PM

15. "Eh family stuff comes up... Employees don't show up"
In response to Reply # 10

My friends have retail spots, they have employees not show up and fuck up their whole day. If you're manning the place yourself or with just a few employees then it would probably difficult to keep normal hours. I did the math when we looked at opening a retail spot.

The three of us would probably have to work 50 hours each assuming we never worked together. If someone was sick, it'd be 60+. It's really a lot of things to do and keep track of. I don't think ppl who don't have businesses understand.

Aside from the 600 things in inventory I have in stock online I have 50 types of packing supplies I have to keep in stock and because some take a month to arrive I have to project a month in advance the orders will come in and what supplies will run out. There's a lot of minutia that no one thinks about.

When you have a business and it's runs smoothly it's due to extraordinary preparation. Not good preparation or planning. Just extraordinary. Someone behind the scenes is probably on some steve jobs / Martha stewart level neuroticism when it comes to attention to detail and planning and or working 70 he's a week.

Do not think the others are slacking. They're just not killing themselves, neglecting their family or being crazy about shit.

Cenario
59169 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:59 PM

9. "diahhrea"
In response to Reply # 0

pizza in the lobby of my building used to give people bubble guts on some 1 out of 8 tries. But they pizza be sooooo good.

I went to them for a couple of years until i saw the food inspector shut them down. I asked the owner what happened, he said dude was fixing the refrigerator. They still took phone orders tho and served customers out the back door smh.

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 03:08 PM

11. "None really. What's the point? Business is business."
In response to Reply # 0

Streets won't let me chill.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 03:09 PM

12. "Cash only........i talk shit the whole time but i'll allow it"
In response to Reply # 0

=======================================
Coolin...

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 08:23 PM

13. "Literally 10 minutes ago we cut off a Black owned spot."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-15-15 08:24 PM by PoppaGeorge

We've tried ordering from them so many times it ain't funny. Out of maybe a dozen or so times trying we've eaten their food a grand total of -ONE- time. It was so fuckin good you WANT to see this place win. You want them to get TV coverage, you want them to expand and be a household name or that place that people from all over the country have to stop off and try at least once like Pinky's, Fatburger, Roscoes, Primanti's, American Coney Island, Nathans, or RU Hungry.

But... not anymore.

I want these niggas to lose. And I want them to lose HARD.

Constantly out of food no matter how early we call in an order. Then they say ridiculous shit like they're out of a specific plate, but somehow they have the more expensive version of that plate (with all the same shit the cheaper joint has plus extra shit). My wife called ahead to see if they had everything we wanted, and they said they had everything. We then placed the actual order through Bite Squad and, sure as shit, they called us back 15 minutes later to let us know they were out of a grip of shit. The wife was PISSED. She told dude on the phone that she had called to confirm they had everything, but still trying to give them business we altered the order to fit what they had. Less than 5 minutes later Bite Squad calls us back to tell us they were suddenly out of more shit.

I told her to cancel the order. I'd rather eat hot dogs from the Circle K around the block than eat there at this point.

We're getting pizza now.
---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 08:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "i often go to a local pizza joint with terrible customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

whenever i call they make it seem like i'm bothering them with my order. and the bill usually is more than what it should be so you gotta call them on it.

best pizza in town tho so i put up with it. just gotta check them when they tack on a extra dollar or two for their free delivery.

--sig--
n/a

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 10:43 PM

16. "Long lines and recently I kept supporting a Black "
In response to Reply # 0

manicurist who was always running behind. After a year or so, I started going to another Black owned spot because she never fixed the problem.

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 10:47 PM

17. "I had a dr I would always schedule 8am, first appt if the day"
In response to Reply # 16

Or go in an hour late. Still it would take up half my day. Go in at noon, not get home until 4.

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 10:52 PM

18. "I just quit messing with a black vintage seller here over that "
In response to Reply # 0

He had really good stuff and would hook me up. Questlove would dig for records in his basement so me knows who I'm talking about. Anyway place was a disaster. Always disorganized and he always had me waiting. We going to lunch or whatever. Plus the guys who worked there were grade a creeps. Just stopped going, someone shot up the place and he closed.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12910291 Previous topic | Next topic