Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12908056

Subject: "Rihanna Praises Rachel Dolezal: “I Think She Was a Bit of a Hero” (l..." Previous topic | Next topic
SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rihanna Praises Rachel Dolezal: “I Think She Was a Bit of a Hero” (l..."
Wed Oct-07-15 08:15 AM by SoWhat

get your girl, folks.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/10/rihanna-rachel-dolezal

In Vanity Fair’s November cover story, Rihanna weighs in on the controversial N.A.A.C.P. chapter president who was “outed” as white.
by Julie Miller

When Rachel Dolezal first made headlines this summer, after the N.A.A.C.P. chapter president was “outed” for being white, no one seemed quite sure what to make of Dolezal’s curious narrative. After all, the media hadn't exactly ever encountered a Caucasian woman who so identified with African-American culture that she devoted her career to celebrating it and countless hours into presenting herself as black. But when Vanity Fair’s Lisa Robinson sat down with Rihanna for the magazine’s November cover story, the pop star revealed a singularly celebratory opinion of Dolezal.

“I think she was a bit of a hero, because she kind of flipped on society a little bit,” Rihanna told Robinson during one long-ranging, late-night conversation. “Is it such a horrible thing that she pretended to be black? Black is a great thing, and I think she legit changed people’s perspective a bit and woke people up.”

Earlier this year, Vanity Fair’s Allison Samuels tracked down Dolezal in Spokane, Washington and convinced the former N.A.A.C.P. chapter president to share her story.

“It’s not a costume,” Dolezal explained of her tanned and elaborately coiffed appearance. “I don’t know spiritually and metaphysically how this goes, but I do know that from my earliest memories I have awareness and connection with the black experience, and that’s never left me.”

“Like I said, I’ve had my years of confusion and wondering who I really and why and how do I live my life and make sense of it all, but I’m not confused about that any longer,” Dolezal continued. “I think the world might be—but I’m not.”

fuck you.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I wonder if she's trying to keep a certain level of ratchet in her inter...
Oct 07th 2015
i was with her if she were praising Dolezal for her work
Oct 07th 2015
      Looked this up just now since I'm out of the loop regarding Rhianna
Oct 07th 2015
I never got the final verdict on this. Are we supposed to dislike Rachel...
Oct 07th 2015
I see what you did there.
Oct 07th 2015
*pats head*
Oct 07th 2015
I didn't and still don't get it...prolly never will
Oct 07th 2015
i'm not 'mad' at her either.
Oct 07th 2015
huh?
Oct 07th 2015
she poasts here
Oct 07th 2015
who? RiRi or Rachel?
Oct 07th 2015
      I wouldn't be surprised it both of them have.
Oct 07th 2015
Rihanna on that new black
Oct 07th 2015
that good ol privilege...
Oct 07th 2015
This part actually DOES make me mad.
Oct 07th 2015
Rachel Who?
Oct 07th 2015
I'll never understand why people like Rihanna and T.I.
Oct 07th 2015
Same.
Oct 07th 2015
This was so....disappointing? dreadful?? dumb???
Oct 07th 2015

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I wonder if she's trying to keep a certain level of ratchet in her inter..."
In response to Reply # 0

or maybe she genuinely thinks that the 'any press is good press' paradigm.

The Rachel jokes were h-u-g-e so she knows she's knows she's being contrary. While I do like the fact a Rihanna exists, there's something I always found of putting and fake about her. Because even though you can tell her and her people want to cultivate this bad girl image smoking weed and showing a bit of side titty is basically business as usual for a large swath of 20-somethings across the globe despite.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i was with her if she were praising Dolezal for her work"
In response to Reply # 1

w/the NAACP. when i read the headline that's where i assumed Rihanna was going. but...no. LOL

anyway, i agree w/you - her 'bad girl' stuff has felt fairly contrived at times. and not particularly 'bad', really. like she's doing too much.

and i'm generally not charmed by her twitter assholery - like when she went at that young fan who posted pix of herself wearing a Rihanna-inspired dress she'd made herself. the girl was clearly trying to show love/tribute and RiRi threw enormous and unnecessary shade. i'm fairly well-versed in enormous/unnecessary shade bordering on mean-spiritedness so i know it when i see it. lol.

fuck you.

Moonlit_Force
Member since Oct 10th 2005
8643 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 02:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Looked this up just now since I'm out of the loop regarding Rhianna"
In response to Reply # 5

Wow.

She cosigned calling that 16 y/o a "thot"? That definitely crosses the border of mean-spiritedness...

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:28 AM

2. "I never got the final verdict on this. Are we supposed to dislike Rachel..."
In response to Reply # 0

For why?
She never did anything malicious. She is just being who she is.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I see what you did there."
In response to Reply # 2

>She is just being who she
>is.
>

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:32 AM

7. "*pats head*"
In response to Reply # 2

fuck you.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I didn't and still don't get it...prolly never will "
In response to Reply # 2

white girl acts black

**shrug**

I ain't mad at her

should she get a cookie? no
but I don't see what she did wrong

=======================================
Coolin...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:39 AM

10. "i'm not 'mad' at her either."
In response to Reply # 9

i think her claim to Blackness is silly and she's delusional. also i think she tried to play the public for a fool where she claimed that maybe her biological parents aren't that white couple who raised her. but that happened after she was called out on her dubious Blackness claim.

but no i'm not 'mad' @ her either.

fuck you.

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 09:10 AM

13. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 2

>She is just being who she is

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:30 AM

4. "she poasts here"
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:31 AM

6. "who? RiRi or Rachel?"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Oct-07-15 08:32 AM by SoWhat

if RiRi: good. i hope she reads my comments about her.

fuck you.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:50 AM

11. "I wouldn't be surprised it both of them have."
In response to Reply # 6

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:36 AM

8. "Rihanna on that new black"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:59 AM

12. "that good ol privilege... "
In response to Reply # 0

>“I don’t know spiritually and metaphysically how this goes, but I do know that from my earliest memories I have awareness and connection with the black experience, and that’s never left me.”

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 01:38 PM

17. "This part actually DOES make me mad."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Oct-07-15 01:44 PM by denny

Because I partly know what she's talking about. I experienced an allure or attraction to black music from a very young age. And I've kinda navigated that in different ways my whole life because I've played black music with black people. The same way a black person might have a life-long allure to Mozart and Beethoven or anything else outside their ancestral culture.

But I never mistook my allure to the music for the 'experience of being black'. And that's something that I've been very careful to distinguish because I didn't want to disrespect the culture to which I felt the allure.

Identity politics are partly inherited. And those inheritances carry positive advantages and negative burdens. She's trying to have it both ways. Laying claim to burdens she doesn't have....and denying the privileges that she DOES have. Yet the option of retreating into 'being white' is always there for her....whether she uses it or not. That fact alone means that she can NEVER experience what it's like to be black.

I don't know....it hits a sore spot for me. Maybe partly because I can relate in some sort of way. So i feel like I'm in a position where I can judge her. I don't really know how to explain it.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 09:21 AM

14. "Rachel Who?"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "I'll never understand why people like Rihanna and T.I. "
In response to Reply # 0

feel the need to share their ill-informed ass opinions on substantive issues.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

Moonlit_Force
Member since Oct 10th 2005
8643 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 02:51 PM

18. "Same."
In response to Reply # 15

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 11:43 AM

16. "This was so....disappointing? dreadful?? dumb???"
In response to Reply # 0

LoL, all of the above really.

How she gon acknowledge that RD was pretending to be Black & then say she was a hero? I guess in the comics universe or w/e superheros pretend but this is real ass life Rih, fohwtbs sis lol.

I do find this thing w/ white women pretending not to be white a strange thing. My friend told me that a lot of white people do this in terms of Native folks like the "pretendians" or w/e. It's weird.

Also, I think Rih has been mostly covered up for awhile...like, this idea that she just be havin her ass & titties & pum pum on display is quite inaccurate.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

Lobby General Discussion topic #12908056 Previous topic | Next topic