Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12897238

Subject: "Comedian Steve Rannazzisi lied about 9/11 WTC escape" Previous topic | Next topic
RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 01:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Comedian Steve Rannazzisi lied about 9/11 WTC escape"

damn he didnt just say he was in one of the towers he had a whole dramatic story.,,

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/17/arts/television/steve-rannazzisi-comedian-who-told-of-9-11-escape-admits-he-lied.html?_r=0

When the comedian Steve Rannazzisi has explained his success, which includes seven seasons starring on a popular TV show, “The League,” and a one-hour special this Saturday on Comedy Central, he has frequently attributed it to decisions he made after narrowly escaping the World Trade Center attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

In elaborate detail, Mr. Rannazzisi, 37, has described working at Merrill Lynch’s offices on the 54th floor of the south tower when the first plane struck the north tower.

“I was there and then the first tower got hit and we were like jostled all over the place,” he told an interviewer in 2009.

He fled to the street just minutes before another plane slammed into his building, he said, and decided that very day that life was too precious to waste opportunities. So he abandoned his New York desk job to pursue a career as an entertainer in Los Angeles.

Nonetheless, he said, he remained affected by his memories of that day.

“I still have dreams of like, you know, those falling dreams,” he told the interviewer.

Confronted this week, though, with evidence that undermined his account, Mr. Rannazzisi, after a day of deliberation, acknowledged on Tuesday that his account was fiction. Actually, he had been working in Midtown that day, and not for Merrill Lynch, which has no record of his employment and had no offices in either tower.

“I was not at the Trade Center on that day,” he said in a statement provided by his publicist, Matthew Labov. “I don’t know why I said this. This was inexcusable. I am truly, truly sorry.”

It was unclear how Mr. Rannazzisi’s admission might affect his standing with networks or sponsors, including Buffalo Wild Wings, which had made him the face of an ad campaign associated with the start of this N.F.L. season and which had featured him in commercials last spring for March Madness.

“We are disappointed to learn of Steve’s misrepresentations regarding the events of September 11, 2001,” Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement Tuesday night. “We are currently re-evaluating our relationship with Steve pending a review of all the facts.”

Mr. Rannazzisi, who declined requests for an interview, said in his statement that, once he had lied, he could not figure out a way to undo the damage.

“For many years, more than anything,” he said, “I have wished that, with silence, I could somehow erase a story told by an immature young man. It only made me more ashamed. How could I tell my children to be honest when I hadn’t come clean about this?”

His interviews, though, several of which remain posted on the Internet, show that a decade after the Sept. 11 attacks, Mr. Rannazzisi was still relating a harrowing experience. In a 2011 interview on the podcast “Sklarbro Country,” Mr. Rannazzisi said that he had gotten a good severance package from Merrill Lynch and that he clearly understood that Sept. 11 was a sensitive topic. “I’ve spoken about it before,” he said. “I just don’t ever want to feel like, anyone, I am cashing in or anything like that.”

Mr. Rannazzisi, who is originally from Long Island, is far from the first person whose Sept. 11 account has been exaggerated or, as is the case here, false. The most startling example of this was a Spanish woman, Alicia Esteve Head, who went by the name Tania Head. She joined the World Trade Center Survivors’ Network support group and went on to become its president, but her story of escape from the 78th floor of the south tower was fabricated. She was believed to be in Barcelona, Spain, on Sept. 11.

Her rationale for suggesting she was there remains no clearer than Mr. Rannazzisi’s. But what is clear is that, since he moved to Los Angeles shortly after the attacks, with his girlfriend, now his wife, his profile has risen steadily. In 2003, he was noticed by the actor Ashton Kutcher, who gave him his first TV role, as a cast member on MTV’s “Punk’d,” according to Mr. Rannazzisi’s website.

From there, Mr. Rannazzisi was cast in several movies and TV sitcoms, including “The League” on FXX, about the high jinks of friends in a fantasy football league, where he has played Kevin MacArthur, an assistant district attorney and commissioner of the league.

In 2013, he got a standup special, “Steve Rannazzisi: Manchild” on Comedy Central, the network that helped start the careers of Jon Stewart and Amy Schumer. On Saturday, Mr. Rannazzisi’s new one-hour special, “Breaking Dad,” will debut on that network.

Many of these milestones are recounted on his website, though it also incorrectly reports he is a graduate of the State University of New York at Purchase, a college with a noted reputation in the performing arts. Mr. Rannazzisi is actually a graduate of SUNY Oneonta, where he majored in communications, according to Mr. Labov, who described the discrepancy as an oversight.

As for his Sept. 11 account, Mr. Rannazzisi gave a detailed version to the comedian Marc Maron on his podcast in December 2009, saying he had worked as an account manager for Merrill for a year and a half and had been watching from the street when the second plane struck.

“I couldn’t tell exactly where it went in,” Mr. Rannazzisi said. “So, I called up to the office, and it was pandemonium. They were like, ‘We are on our way down, we are on our way down.’ ”

Mr. Rannazzisi had noted in some interviews that his girlfriend also worked in the south tower on Sept. 11 on the 24th floor, but said that she had been delayed and never made it to the building. (Actually, Mr. Rannazzisi got that wrong as well. Mr. Labov said on Tuesday that Mrs. Rannazzisi was scheduled to work as a temp on Sept. 11, but in the World Financial Center, nearby, not in the south tower.) When they both got home, he said on the podcast, they decided they would move to Los Angeles.

“We went up to the roof of our building, we smoked a joint and then decided we are going to leave,” he said.

Mr. Rannazzisi gave a similar account on the TV special “Pauly Shore & Friends” in 2009.

Mr. Rannazzisi, sitting on a couch in his home next to his wife who was cradling their baby, told Mr. Shore that the attacks had forced the couple to re-evaluate their lives.

“We decided that we were moving,” he said. “We were like: ‘You know what? I am going to do what I want to do now.’ I wasn’t doing a lot of comedy. I wasn’t doing lot of acting, what I went to school for.”

In recent years, Mr. Rannazzisi played down his account. In a 2013 radio interview on “The Don Geronimo Show,” he corrected the interviewer who suggested he had been in the south tower on Sept. 11.

CONTINUE READING THE MAIN STORY
COMMENTS
“I was outside, really,” he said. “I was working downtown at that time.”

That rollback story was also off, but Mr. Rannazzisi sounded contrite on Tuesday in the statement he released about his 9/11 fabrications.

“It was profoundly disrespectful to those who perished and those who lost loved ones,” he said. “The stupidity and guilt I have felt for many years has not abated. It was an early taste of having a public persona, and I made a terrible mistake. All I can ask is for forgiveness.”

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Folks just wanna be part of the moment
Sep 16th 2015
I wonder how in the world he's going to do stand-up
Sep 16th 2015
first thing i thought of
Sep 16th 2015
The League is airing its finally season
Sep 16th 2015
      those ads are going to disappear
Sep 16th 2015
           RE: those ads are going to disappear
Sep 16th 2015
                I LIKED MY WORDS BETTER ROB
Sep 16th 2015
reminds me of that lady, Tania Head...
Sep 16th 2015
he should've taken this secret to his grave.
Sep 16th 2015
couldn't, he's too famous now,
Sep 16th 2015
      it seems someone called him out.
Sep 16th 2015
      He could've come up with something better than a confession.
Sep 16th 2015
           he was confronted w/evidence that blew his story.
Sep 16th 2015
           I dunno how he could've got out of it. his lie was too specific
Sep 16th 2015
                Why'd he think that no one would notice ML wasn't in the towers?!?!? LOL...
Sep 16th 2015
holy shit. I didn't even know his name, much less this 9/11 stuff
Sep 16th 2015
neither did I
Sep 16th 2015
      he was just barely not famous enough to skate on this
Sep 16th 2015
           the fact that he went on WTF and talked about this is just stupid
Sep 16th 2015
Another L for NY
Sep 16th 2015
Lmao are you retarded nm.
Sep 16th 2015
what about the guys who lied about it to try and get laid?
Sep 16th 2015
That's acceptable
Sep 16th 2015
Rafi wouldnt have lied about this shit
Sep 16th 2015
this is such a Brian thing
Sep 16th 2015
LMAO
Sep 16th 2015
+
Sep 16th 2015
Didnt Hillary Clinton lie about where Chelsea was on 9/11
Sep 16th 2015
thats the sick part...
Sep 16th 2015
Pete Davidson from SNL has a response
Sep 16th 2015
Does dude always bring his dad up?
Sep 16th 2015
      I know right
Sep 16th 2015
      smh
Sep 16th 2015
All part of a vast consiracy
Sep 16th 2015

Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 01:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Folks just wanna be part of the moment"
In response to Reply # 0

thats some sad shit tho

@geahuwine

Numba_33
Charter member
19336 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 02:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I wonder how in the world he's going to do stand-up"
In response to Reply # 0

with this being public knowledge. Dude's going to get heckled mercilessly. I don't watch the show anymore since I don't have access to the FXX channel, but I hope the show doesn't suffer from this since other folks are on it.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 02:10 PM

4. "first thing i thought of"
In response to Reply # 2

other folks are on it.

just potentially fucked a whole bunch of people

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 02:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "The League is airing its finally season"
In response to Reply # 2

so the show wont be affected at all. But his endorsements might. Buffalo Wild Wings already stated they are upset by the news and are unsure of their relationship in the future. I guess that means they are waiting to see how the public reacts.

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "those ads are going to disappear"
In response to Reply # 5

they're just trying to figure out if being public about it is going to make things worse

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:42 PM

19. "RE: those ads are going to disappear"
In response to Reply # 11

yeah pretty much what I said.

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "I LIKED MY WORDS BETTER ROB"
In response to Reply # 19

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 02:07 PM

3. "reminds me of that lady, Tania Head..."
In response to Reply # 0

great Netflix doc about her if you've got some time...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/06/inside-tania-head-s-terrible-9-11-lie-the-woman-who-wasn-t-there.html

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:30 PM

6. "he should've taken this secret to his grave."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:38 PM

9. "couldn't, he's too famous now,"
In response to Reply # 6

damn man, like noooo part of his story was true at all

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:00 PM

13. "it seems someone called him out."
In response to Reply # 9

but why?

fuck you.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:01 PM

14. "He could've come up with something better than a confession."
In response to Reply # 9

He was there visiting Merrill Lynch that day. Or he was getting ready to apply for a job there that morning. Or he was on that side of town right outside the WTC. Or something. He could've clung to that part of the lie. Somehow.

Like, I understand that his co-workers at the time probably would've said "hey, I remember, he was at the office that day" or whatever, but that could've boiled down to he-said-she-said... and frankly, he's not famous enough that most people would've cared about a he-said-she-said controversy over a decade-old anecdote.

Anything would've been better than confessing he wasn't remotely in the area that day.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:10 PM

16. "he was confronted w/evidence that blew his story."
In response to Reply # 14

"Confronted this week, though, with evidence that undermined his account, Mr. Rannazzisi, after a day of deliberation, acknowledged on Tuesday that his account was fiction. Actually, he had been working in Midtown that day, and not for Merrill Lynch, which has no record of his employment and had no offices in either tower."

that evidence might've been so compelling he was forced to admit the truth. i dunno.

fuck you.

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:30 PM

17. "I dunno how he could've got out of it. his lie was too specific"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Sep-16-15 04:31 PM by Rjcc

and he'd told it on TV multiple times

plus, it's the one day where everyone in america remembers where they were and who they were with. it's super tough to hold on to that

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:37 PM

18. "Why'd he think that no one would notice ML wasn't in the towers?!?!? LOL..."
In response to Reply # 17

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:34 PM

7. "holy shit. I didn't even know his name, much less this 9/11 stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:44 PM

20. "neither did I"
In response to Reply # 7

I have been a huge fan of the show since it aired but had no idea what his real name was or anything about the story.

Rjcc
Charter member
94968 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:38 PM

26. "he was just barely not famous enough to skate on this"
In response to Reply # 20

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:44 PM

29. "the fact that he went on WTF and talked about this is just stupid"
In response to Reply # 26

lets go on the most popular podcast on the internet and dig myself a deeper hole.

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:37 PM

8. "Another L for NY"
In response to Reply # 0

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:40 PM

10. "Lmao are you retarded nm. "
In response to Reply # 8

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:47 PM

12. "what about the guys who lied about it to try and get laid?"
In response to Reply # 0

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Neez
Member since May 02nd 2013
1083 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:45 PM

30. "That's acceptable"
In response to Reply # 12

_

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:02 PM

15. "Rafi wouldnt have lied about this shit"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:44 PM

21. "this is such a Brian thing "
In response to Reply # 15

like this is exactly something his character would do.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:53 PM

22. "LMAO"

>

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 04:59 PM

23. "+"

https://digife.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:36 PM

25. "Didnt Hillary Clinton lie about where Chelsea was on 9/11"
In response to Reply # 0

made it sound like she was in the thick of it when she was no where close.

I think people just want to be part of that story and once they tell a lie they have to feed the beast

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:40 PM

28. "thats the sick part..."
In response to Reply # 25

I could see some a**hole lying and saying "yeah i was in new york and saw the smoke or saw the towers fall" but damn it takes a truly confused human to say you were ACTUALLY in the towers and escaped with your life....crazy

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:40 PM

27. "Pete Davidson from SNL has a response"
In response to Reply # 0

Pete Davidson, whose father was a firefighter who died in 9/11, tweeted a sarcastic response to Rannazzisi's confession.

RT @petedavidson
It's ok @SteveRannazzisi people make mistakes ... Can't wait to meet my dad for lunch later

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Neez
Member since May 02nd 2013
1083 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:46 PM

31. "Does dude always bring his dad up?"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed Sep-16-15 05:48 PM by Neez

He did it on the bieber roast too
Damm nigga we get it

_

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 05:56 PM

32. "I know right"
In response to Reply # 31

Always bringing up his dad that died on 9/11...its like come on, move on already...am i right? am i right?

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 06:09 PM

33. "smh"
In response to Reply # 31

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

BigKato
Member since Aug 26th 2006
556 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 07:42 PM

34. "All part of a vast consiracy"
In response to Reply # 0

Why was there thermite found in the rubble?!?

Wake up sheeple!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Walt Whitman

Lobby General Discussion topic #12897238 Previous topic | Next topic