Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12873059

Subject: "will Baltimore ever gentrify?" Previous topic | Next topic
melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 12:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"will Baltimore ever gentrify?"

cus I'm considering buying a couple of vacants on the "bad" side of town, gut em out, in hopes of selling.. meanwhile, put em up for rent.

the city seemingly has all the trappings for renewal tho. yuppie whites actually LIVE in the inner city/downtown area! the good bars/eateries are but a few blocks away, etc

I mean, if it can happen in DC.. why not Bmore, right? Govt agencies aside, what makes both cities so different considering theyre merely some 40 miles apart?

But I'm an outsider, admittedly naive to certain nuances and its history Skool me plz!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yes. Give it 10-20 years.
Aug 06th 2015
Downtown will just like in Detroit n/m
Aug 06th 2015
its been gentrifying
Aug 06th 2015
Before we moved to Pittsburgh, we considered Baltimore
Aug 07th 2015
      it was never cheap
Aug 07th 2015
           well that makes sense.
Aug 07th 2015
already is/has.......and for a while now
Aug 06th 2015
45 July homicides = highest since 1972. Bmore calls in feds
Aug 06th 2015
when i moved there for grad school
Aug 06th 2015
the violence is contained. you got pockets of craziness and places where
Aug 07th 2015
One of two things has to happen
Aug 06th 2015
people are moving back to the city in Richmond?
Aug 06th 2015
      wilkinsburg? homewood?
Aug 06th 2015
      true
Aug 07th 2015
           It's not
Aug 07th 2015
      Anything within 3 miles of VCU is gentrified or gentrifying
Aug 07th 2015
Baltimore has a long way to go
Aug 06th 2015
RE: Baltimore has a long way to go
Aug 07th 2015
lol
Aug 07th 2015
when did you live in baltimore? and where did you live?
Aug 07th 2015
with a little research theres got to be some steals up there
Aug 06th 2015
RE: will Baltimore ever gentrify?
Aug 07th 2015
it's been happening. a block here, a block there.
Aug 07th 2015
...would love to transform it to a Black Oasis...
Aug 07th 2015

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yes. Give it 10-20 years."
In response to Reply # 0

Philly's about 5-10 years away right now from a HUGE bubble.

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Downtown will just like in Detroit n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

. . . If I have something to say when there is a reason involved, I am perfectly willing to talk. Katherine Hepburn

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "its been gentrifying"
In response to Reply # 0

it's not as rapid as nyc but even when i was there hopkins was buying shit up and charles village and stuff by druid hill were already pricy

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:24 AM

21. "Before we moved to Pittsburgh, we considered Baltimore"
In response to Reply # 3

and can attest to the fact that Charles Village is not cheap AT ALL now.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:44 AM

22. "it was never cheap"
In response to Reply # 21

=======================================
Coolin...

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:58 AM

24. "well that makes sense."
In response to Reply # 22

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:09 PM

4. "already is/has.......and for a while now"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-06-15 01:09 PM by ambient1

not as rapid as prior to the RE bubble bursting

Coolin...

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "45 July homicides = highest since 1972. Bmore calls in feds "
In response to Reply # 0

BALTIMORE — The violence has been relentless during this city’s Summer of Freddie Gray.

Three months after parts of this city burned in anguish over the death of Gray, who was fatally injured while in police custody, the carnage has continued. In fact, it’s accelerated.

With 11 people shot over the weekend — two fatally — the city closed out July with a record-tying 45 murders. To put that in perspective, the similarly sized District registered 16 murders last month.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” said Johnnie Harris, 65, a retired geological engineer who sat on his stoop in the battered West Baltimore neighborhood of Sandtown-Winchester. He was facing a makeshift memorial of faded, stuffed animals to someone who’d been killed.

“That one’s old, happened about a year ago,” he said. “New ones are up everywhere else, though.”

Indeed, a tour through bleak Sandtown, where Freddie Gray was arrested and cars and buildings burned after his funeral, shows little sign of hope or improvement. Every few blocks, there is a burst of color and sparkle — a bunch of Mylar balloons tied to a street sign in honor of a victim of the violence.

The last time this much blood was shed on Baltimore’s streets was August 1972 — in the summer of the Olympic massacre in Munich, the summer New York had 57 killings in 24 hours, the summer when the “Bloody Friday” bombings left nine people dead in Belfast.

Ancient history, right?

In those 43 years, the Olympics have had only one other deadly attack, New York City is practically Disneyland (maybe even cheaper) and the Troubles of Northern Ireland have largely been quelled.

But Baltimore, poor Baltimore, is actually worse off than it was in 1972. Back then, the city’s population was vastly larger, with 900,000 residents.

Now its population has shrunk to about 623,000, and parts of the city are so blighted that it’s hard to tell which buildings were destroyed during the rioting this spring and which buildings have been rotting for decades.

Baltimore isn’t the only American city suffering through a violent summer. The District is also experiencing a surge in shootings this year. We’ve had a 20 percent jump in homicides, and people are beginning to freak out. The body count has also gone up in New York, New Orleans, San Antonio, St. Louis, Chicago, Dallas and Milwaukee.

The police chiefs from big cities across the country met in Washington on Monday to discuss what’s clearly a nationwide trend.

For 20 years, we saw crime plummet. The country’s homicide rate is now half of what it was in the 1990s.

Experts have tried to figure out why homicides and other crimes dropped, attributing the decrease to zero-tolerance laws, the war on drugs, three strikes laws, job growth, prison growth, the economy and better emergency room medicine.

But whatever juju we had is fading. And for the first time in two decades, we’re seeing a collective rise in bloodshed. Chicago homicides? Up 17 percent over last year. Atlanta? A 32 percent increase. New York? Murder is up by 13 percent.

“We have come too far to lose traction now,” declared D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier, as she discussed the trend last week.

Baltimore’s struggles are particularly acute. The city is still reeling from the fallout of Gray’s death. The 25-year-old died after he suffered a spinal injury in police custody in April. Six police officers have been charged in his death. The unrest that rocked the city and the spike in violence just cost Police Commissioner Anthony Batts his job.

He’s been replaced by interim chief Kevin Davis, who pointed out that other cities are grappling with more murders, while acknowledging that Baltimore’s problem is worse.

“Certainly, it’s pronounced here in Baltimore,” he said in a news conference Sunday.

“But I believe the circumstances contributing to our uptick are probably not unlike the circumstances contributing to the uptick in homicides in other jurisdictions across our country,” Davis said.

Is Baltimore simply the leader in a nationwide backslide?

Some blame the increase in violence on the “Ferguson Effect” — officers pulling back on tough enforcement because of the intense focus on police-involved shootings like the one that killed Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., last August.

In neighborhoods where police have long been viewed with suspicion, people use their cellphones like all-seeing periscopes every time police officers get out of their cars. Officers and the unions that represent them describe a combination of surveillance and skepticism, with body cameras, ACLU recording apps and jeering wherever they go.

Harris, the stoop sitter who has lived in Sandtown for 36 years, said the police presence in his neighborhood has evaporated since the riots.

“It’s legal murder,” he told me. “Police aren’t doing anything. They stopped working. And they’re just letting everyone kill each other, and they look away.”

It’s not that simple, though.

Because minutes before I talked to Harris, I happened upon Shawn Chester, his hands in the air, a Baltimore police officer in body armor turning his shorts pockets inside-out.

Chester, 37, told me that he was trying to get a cab to go pick up his 3-year-old daughter when the officer stopped and searched him.

“He thought I was selling drugs,” Chester said, putting himself back together. “He didn’t find anything on me. He apologized to me.”

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:18 PM

6. "when i moved there for grad school"
In response to Reply # 5

there 300 and some change homicides and it was only august

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:11 AM

20. "the violence is contained. you got pockets of craziness and places where"
In response to Reply # 5

nothing ever happens. the OP mentioned buying a vacant. shit, there's gotta be 16k vacant homes that you can get for a few grand apiece.

but you can drive a mile or so from that vacant and see a crib with roughly the same square footage worth $400k.

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:29 PM

7. "One of two things has to happen"
In response to Reply # 0

-The city has to become so attractive that people who would previously have chosen to live in the suburbs would decide to live in the city. This is what happened in DC, and to a lesser extent, NYC

or

-The economy would have to be revitalized by a new industry bringing new people to Baltimore or the rapid expansion of Hopkins. The former happened here in Pittsburgh. The latter in Richmond.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:06 PM

8. "people are moving back to the city in Richmond?"
In response to Reply # 7

Pittsburgh is a little different. It never had the murder rep like Bmore, besides the Hill District of course...

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 08:00 PM

11. "wilkinsburg? homewood? "
In response to Reply # 8

cmon man

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 08:13 AM

15. "true"
In response to Reply # 11

I forgot about about Homewood.

but technically I don't think Wilkinsburg is within city limits.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:05 AM

19. "It's not"
In response to Reply # 15

>but technically I don't think Wilkinsburg is within city
>limits.

It will eventually gentrify though. Regent Square will be the driver. Half of the neighborhood is in Pittsburgh and half in in Wilkinsburg. White people buying in the W'burg side of Regent Square are going to drift deeper into Wilkinsburg.

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:00 AM

18. "Anything within 3 miles of VCU is gentrified or gentrifying"
In response to Reply # 8

Oregon Hill, Carver, Jackson Ward, Church Hill all done or well on their way. They're even moving into the North Side.

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 07:54 PM

9. "Baltimore has a long way to go"
In response to Reply # 0

DC has every embassy on the planet. Which lends itself to a global buffet of culture, people, events and identities. Ever changing but always popping.

Baltimore has the inner harbor, some colleges and a medical school.
Baltimore really needs to do something crazy innovative, like invite artists from around the world to revamp teh boarded up homes for free.

DC has a higher tax base. People in DC make on average $100k. In Baltimore, probably around $60k. Baltimore governmetn can't really change much without revenue. They need to find some rich folk to tax.

DC has the metro. Baltimore has a one line metro, a trolley to the baseball spots and poor mass transportation.

No real industry outside of colleges and medical schools.

Too homogoneous ethnically. They need to import some South Asians, Africans and Middle Easterners to give the city more flavor.

The abandoned homes ned to be torn down and made into green parks. Stop trying to hold these brick roach motels up.

I have lived in Baltimore and will never move back.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

Shakeet Lokh Em
Member since Mar 22nd 2005
3452 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 08:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RE: Baltimore has a long way to go"
In response to Reply # 9

>Baltimore has the inner harbor, some colleges and a medical
>school.

O_o When did you live here? In the 80's? LOL!

>Baltimore really needs to do something crazy innovative, like
>invite artists from around the world to revamp teh boarded up
>homes for free.

There's literally a whole community/region dedicated to the arts, called Station North in the middle of the City.

>DC has a higher tax base. People in DC make on average $100k.
>In Baltimore, probably around $60k. Baltimore governmetn can't
>really change much without revenue. They need to find some
>rich folk to tax.

Last I checked, the median income for the city was a little over $40k. It's not so much about needing more rich folk to tax, as there are people with serious money here, it's just the gap between richest and poorest is sooooooo big. The actual working class in the middle do pretty well though.

>DC has the metro. Baltimore has a one line metro, a trolley to
>the baseball spots and poor mass transportation.

DC's transportation system needs a major overhaul. Baltimore has added several Mass Transit services for the community including the Charm City Circulator. Which is free. We (RK&K) were working on another rail line called The Red Line that our misinformed new governor shuttered. Millions of dollars and countless hours wasted on design work. That project also helped engineering interns from local high schools, of which I am involved (EDMONDSON!), but the MTA stepped up and still found a way to pay these high school kids and teach them about engineering at the same time, even with the budget cut.

>No real industry outside of colleges and medical schools.

Ehh, depends on your perspective. The Ravens and Orioles bring in a lot of revenue. The Preakness. Comic-Con. The Baltimore Running Festival. On and on.

>Too homogoneous ethnically. They need to import some South
>Asians, Africans and Middle Easterners to give the city more
>flavor.

Those three groups are all here with their own communities. I work at an engineering firm, and in this industry here in general there are a lot of foreign born workers who live in the city. Greektown has communities within the community lol. It's not New York by any stretch, but there are a lot of different places to go if you know your way around.

>The abandoned homes ned to be torn down and made into green
>parks. Stop trying to hold these brick roach motels up.

We can agree on this.

>I have lived in Baltimore and will never move back.

It's not for everyone lol

"I'm scientific, but my reflex gangsta"- Black Thought

ambient1
41077 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 08:29 AM

16. "lol"
In response to Reply # 9

Coolin...

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 09:54 AM

23. "when did you live in baltimore? and where did you live?"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 07:59 PM

10. "with a little research theres got to be some steals up there"
In response to Reply # 0

i personally prefer bmore to dc, more country, i dunno cant quite put my finger on it other than to say its realer

but that commute would literally kill me every day so i stay in moco

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Marz
Member since Feb 08th 2008
217 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 03:13 AM

12. "RE: will Baltimore ever gentrify?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes. Once there is an affordable light rail that goes direct from DC to Baltimore in under 30 minutes, the affordable housing will be too good to ignore. The infrastructure is already there. They just need the train.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 08:12 AM

14. "it's been happening. a block here, a block there. "
In response to Reply # 0

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8344 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 08:41 AM

17. "...would love to transform it to a Black Oasis..."
In response to Reply # 0

...the potential is vast.

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #12873059 Previous topic | Next topic