Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12856243

Subject: "They coming for Tha GAWD from all sides" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 08:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"They coming for Tha GAWD from all sides"

White men attacking Ta-Nehisi Coates

Black women talking sideways Coates

Bitter-ass snaggle-toothed black men with headbands around they neck taking shots at the yung gawd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I see David Brooks & Corn West's takedowns, where's the woman's?
Jul 17th 2015
I saw this one yesterday. Not sure if it's the one y'all are referring t...
Jul 17th 2015
ugh. so much to say that isn't even worth saying.
Jul 17th 2015
It's rough man.
Jul 17th 2015
      I actually find all of that cheap and really really exploitative
Jul 17th 2015
      There was an interview with Coates somewhere recently (Gawker?)
Jul 17th 2015
I read that yesterday and it was just weird.
Jul 17th 2015
There's a lot of jealousy of him in those circles.
Jul 17th 2015
"The Women" started sharpening axes after Rachel doltizAll
Jul 17th 2015
TNC has generally always side-stepped gender issues in general.
Jul 17th 2015
oh come the fuck on.
Jul 17th 2015
Morrison also started/certified Clinton=1st blk prez noise
Jul 17th 2015
Its interesting how history has not been kind to Clinton x black folks
Jul 17th 2015
the impacts were not readily visible.
Jul 17th 2015
      but they were all totally and completely predictable and predicted
Jul 17th 2015
Really, I'd be surprised if she read it.
Jul 17th 2015
prolly
Jul 17th 2015
Her and Arsenio.
Jul 17th 2015
Yo. EVERY response to West is ether. Dyson murked his career
Jul 17th 2015
Nah he murked it by himself
Jul 17th 2015
lol West alluded to Obama in 3 sentences. Is he on that FOX News?
Jul 17th 2015
I 'bout done with Cornel West.
Jul 17th 2015
THIS is the Black feminist response that everyone is talking about:
Jul 17th 2015
RE: They coming for Tha GAWD from all sides
Jul 17th 2015
The Ta-Nehisi Coates Column David Brooks Should Have Written
Jul 17th 2015
He made it.
Jul 17th 2015
funny...yo went to my HS but never heard of him till here
Jul 17th 2015
dyson comments on Wests comments to Morrisons comments on coates' commen...
Jul 17th 2015
Signed, Uncle Ruckus
Jul 17th 2015
he got that top shelf indoctrination in the Marines
Jul 17th 2015
Finished his latest book...haven't read anything like this since The Fir...
Jul 17th 2015
he ain't even close, for a TON of reasons
Jul 17th 2015
      Baldwin is the greatest American author. Bar none.
Jul 17th 2015
      He's definitely up there
Jul 17th 2015
           I put Baldwin in the number one spot too
Jul 18th 2015
      agreed on the internet hype train
Jul 17th 2015
Man, the level of butthurt because Toni Morrison compared him to Baldwin
Jul 17th 2015
It makes me sad
Jul 17th 2015
LOL
Jul 17th 2015
That is precisely what made Cornel get on FB typing stupid.
Jul 17th 2015
I'll be glad when Obama is out of office so West can stop seeing red
Jul 17th 2015
is that what this is? literary nerd shit? lmao
Jul 17th 2015
Folks don't understand Ta-Nehisi perspective- he don't give a fuck what
Jul 17th 2015
Yup @ "he don't give a fuck what..."
Jul 17th 2015
nah. NAH. I don't think Coates is anywhere near as mad as Baldwin
Jul 17th 2015
Where did you see me say he was mad?
Jul 17th 2015
      I don't think he's as IDGAF/mad as you do.
Jul 17th 2015
Love it maybe, wonder if I can buy a copy from his pops
Jul 17th 2015
      Mahoganybooks.com
Jul 17th 2015
I didn't realize the book was out.
Jul 17th 2015
I'm gonna cop one for my daughter to read on her trip to PR
Jul 17th 2015
Here is footage of him reading at the book release:
Jul 17th 2015
No publicity is bad publicity
Jul 17th 2015
That book is hot FIRE
Jul 17th 2015
Can't lie..all this time I thought he wrote trashy black self-improvemen...
Jul 17th 2015
Oh, nevermind. I know what you mean
Jul 17th 2015
      tariq nasheed...it just hit me
Jul 17th 2015
           I figured
Jul 17th 2015
                I steered clear of all of it....but I won't anymore
Jul 18th 2015

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I see David Brooks & Corn West's takedowns, where's the woman's?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brooks - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/opinion/listening-to-ta-nehisi-coates-while-white.html?_r=0
West - https://www.facebook.com/drcornelwest/posts/10155807310625111

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:22 AM

4. "I saw this one yesterday. Not sure if it's the one y'all are referring t..."
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2015/07/ta_nehisi_coates_new_book_it_s_clear_all_the_blacks_are_still_men.html

“I know what the world has done to my brother and how narrowly he has survived it,” James Baldwin wrote in a 1962 letter to his teenage nephew. “And I know, which is much worse, and this is the crime of which I accuse my country and my countrymen and for which neither I nor time nor history will ever forgive them, that they have destroyed and are destroying hundreds of thousands of lives and do not know it and do not want to know it.”

Baldwin’s poignant and, oftentimes, painful letter went on to be the cornerstone of The Fire Next Time, which shone a spotlight on America’s inability to deal with its deep-seated racism. These days, what the world has done to black folks is evident in the myriad unarmed black women and men cut down by those in power, and our defiant plea that no matter what happens to us, black lives still matter.

Against this backdrop of extrajudicial killings and massive protests, The Atlantic’s Ta-Nehisi Coates took a cue from Baldwin and penned a letter to his 15-year-old son, Samori, about America’s treatment of its black citizens.

The result, Coates’ latest tome, Between the World and Me, takes an unflinching look at America and its mythological dream. Dreams we’ve been sold since birth—of equality, of access, of the chance to achieve. These dreams have been handed down through folklore, through spirituals, through calls for freedom, through sanitized Martin Luther King Jr. quotes. But as Coates writes, “The Dream rests on our backs, the bedding made from our bodies.” The dream, he surmises, just doesn’t exist for black people in America.

Coates’ discussion about what America has built on the backs of black bodies has been hailed as revelatory. Critics have called the book “extraordinary” and “essential.” Toni Morrison, matriarch of the black canon, said it is “required reading” and proclaimed Coates heir to Baldwin’s venerable legacy. But like Baldwin, and so many other revered writers and thinkers who have grappled with being black in America—from Frederick Douglass and W.E.B. Du Bois to Richard Wright and Ralph Ellison—Coates’ exploration of the black experience once again sidelines women.

In Between the World and Me we get a potent, full-throated description of young men and boys who stumble, fight and in some cases f--k their way through America, attempting to negotiate a world that is built on rendering them powerless. The young men of Coates’ youth “transmuted their fear into rage,” taking out their aggressions on one another in neighborhood battles for respect that the outside world refused to give.

But what of the women? In Between the World and Me, black women are footnotes to the men’s stories—baby mamas, lovers, mothers, classmates, around-the-way girls, grieving mothers. As Coates recounts a world full of complex black men carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders, the same can’t be said for the women who bop down the same blocks, negotiate the same demons and are often victimized by the same men.

As one reads Between the World and Me, it’s easy to get caught up in Coates’ brutally descriptive prose and his startling assertions about whiteness. At times I found myself getting lost in his world, and his ongoing conversation with his son hit me in the heart as a mother. Indeed, Coates is a writer’s writer whose pen game is so strong, I almost forgot that the black women in Between the World and Me are relegated to the same margins from which bell hooks hoped to escape.

To be clear, Coates’ book is intensely personal, so his perspective as a black man writing to and about black men is somewhat expected. As he discusses the effects of systemic racism and capitalism on black bodies, he does so through the prism of his own life growing up in West Baltimore, attending Howard University and working as a writer in New York City. Still, I'm disappointed that yet another widely praised, “must-read” book about the black experience in America treats women like satellites of their more important male counterparts.

In the final section of Between the World and Me, Coates finally turns his gaze on a black woman. Dr. Jones, the mother of Coates’ slain friend, Prince, made her way from rural Louisiana to become the chief of radiology at a local hospital. Despite her amazing climb, the privileged life she provided for her son could not protect his body from being destroyed by a police officer who mistakenly snuffed him out. Dr. Jones, like many black mothers, fears it could happen again.

“She was intensely worried about her daughter bringing a son into America, because she could not save him, she could not secure his body from the ritual violence that had claimed her son,” Coates writes.

Though he shares Dr. Jones’ story, Coates uses it to once again talk about America’s tendency to destroy black bodies—black male bodies. But the “ritual violence” that America administers isn’t reserved for black men. Black women and girls are beaten, incarcerated and killed by those in power and by those who claim to love them.

But where are those stories?

As I read Coates’ book, I couldn’t help wondering why black female writers aren’t lavished with the same level of pomp and circumstance given to black male writers who write about race—or hailed as the second coming of Baldwin. After all, Coates isn’t the only person grappling with these issues today. In fact, black female writers, like Michelle Alexander, Nell Painter and Isabel Wilkerson—three women he’s mentioned in his blog—heavily influenced his work.

Though some will assert that Coates’ book is one man’s perspective on the world, the accolades given to Between the World and Me have transformed this slim volume into more than just a memoir; rather, it’s a meditation on what it means to be black in America today. And apparently, 40 years after the inception of the Combahee River Collective, all the blacks are still men.

Mother Morrison was right: Coates’ ambitious book is required reading, but not to understand the “black experience.” For that you’ll have to read his book in tandem with the writings of black female scholars like Barbara Ransby, Crystal Feimster, Deborah Gray White, Tamara Winfrey Harris and Blair L.M. Kelley. Only then will a fuller picture of black life start to come into view.

Britni Danielle is a Los Angeles-based freelance writer and novelist. She has covered pop culture, politics and race for outlets such as Essence, Jet and Clutch. Follow her on Twitter.

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:24 AM

5. "ugh. so much to say that isn't even worth saying."
In response to Reply # 4

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "It's rough man. "
In response to Reply # 5

On one hand, black men are a part of the patriarchy and do get some of the benefits. So calling us on our shit, making safe space for women including women specific movements, etc... all understandable and should be praised as such. Black feminism helps us all.

However, its kind of irksome that with the recent focus on the violent deaths of black males due to systemic racism that pieces like this get attacked with a 'You don't care about black females' angle. While of course institutional racism racism has been equal opportunity fucked up with both male and women getting swept in prison industrial complexes, at the end of the day its primarily men who chaff under that very specific part of institutional racism* Are black women disproportionately jailed compared to their white counterparts? absolutely. Are black women treated unfairly and killed by police. Absolutely. Are the numbers a minority compared to black men? Absolutely. Which is why much of the dialogue tends to be male centric.

It just seems disingenuous to disregard a piece that takes black male perspective on racism as if it is totally invalid because it doesn't give an equal focus to the struggles of black women.

*on the flipside there are plenty of female focused means of racist oppression available to black women. We all get got in different ways.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:14 AM

10. "I actually find all of that cheap and really really exploitative"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Jul-17-15 10:16 AM by kayru99

a lot of these young feminist writers are just jumping on a trend without really thinking it through.

There are a TON of things that affect the lives of black women, directly, that only affect black men in an ancillary way...and there's a resounding silence on a LOT of these issues from many of the blogerati. Hopefully as they age, they'll get better

EDIT:

And isn't the conceit of the book is it's a letter written for/to his son?

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:36 AM

20. "There was an interview with Coates somewhere recently (Gawker?)"
In response to Reply # 6

>On one hand, black men are a part of the patriarchy and do
>get some of the benefits. So calling us on our shit, making
>safe space for women including women specific movements,
>etc... all understandable and should be praised as such.
>Black feminism helps us all.

...nd he even admitted this. That black men are men, after all. And we're frequently guilty of the same injustices & mistreatment of women that men of any other race are.

I don't know if she was attacking him as much as venting because the black female experience is so ignored.

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "I read that yesterday and it was just weird."
In response to Reply # 4

The writer acknowledges that it's a personal narrative, then blasts him for not including the female perspective, when there are plenty of black women writing their own personal narratives. They're just needlessly throwing around divisive language. The Root's been on one for a minute, though. I don't wanna blame it on the Univision deal, but something's been tonally off with it lately.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "There's a lot of jealousy of him in those circles."
In response to Reply # 12

This issue actually came up about 5 years ago on his blog.

TNC has been anointed by the white intelligentsia as The Authentic Black Voice On Race. He gets heard in a way that no other public Black intellectual does. The people who would like that position want him to give their own thoughts, ideas and pet topics some shine, as a result. But he keeps his focus really narrow, and that annoys a lot of them.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. ""The Women" started sharpening axes after Rachel doltizAll"
In response to Reply # 12

And coates dismissing it as a serious matter

Twitter army been moving into position since then

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:20 AM

14. "TNC has generally always side-stepped gender issues in general."
In response to Reply # 4

He seems pretty set in the "Blacks are always men" thing, and race is his focus.

On his blog, when the blog was truly active, which it hasn't been for about 2 years now, he would half-heartedly touch on gender every now and then, but you could tell that wasn't where his passion was at all.

He writes with himself as his focus, even when he's not talking about himself, per se.

Niq96st
Member since Jun 16th 2005
8396 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:40 AM

22. "oh come the fuck on. "
In response to Reply # 4

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:07 AM

7. "Morrison also started/certified Clinton=1st blk prez noise "
In response to Reply # 1

So her comparisons/platitudes forever tainted after that

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:09 AM

8. "Its interesting how history has not been kind to Clinton x black folks"
In response to Reply # 7

we were ride or die even when he was writing bills that would annihilate another generation of black kids.

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:18 AM

13. "the impacts were not readily visible. "
In response to Reply # 8

Who knew tons of GOP concessions and evil Gingrich mechanics could be overshadowed by jazz sax and sunglasses

But I never rode for that black prez bit

Then the bul twisted the knife on Haiti, and basically said-
"oops" *Kanye shrug*

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

kayru99
16105 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:21 AM

15. "but they were all totally and completely predictable and predicted"
In response to Reply # 13

but a good part of black america were busy blaming the republicans for impeding his progress, and reminding us that he wasn't just the president of black america, but all america. Throw a healthy dash of respectability politics, and here we are.

Sounds familiar, tho, doesn't it? lol

Niq96st
Member since Jun 16th 2005
8396 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:41 AM

23. "Really, I'd be surprised if she read it. "
In response to Reply # 7

Her quote could have very well just been a result of a solicitation for one from T-N C's publisher.

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:08 AM

28. "prolly"
In response to Reply # 23

Which makes this even more silly

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:27 AM

38. "Her and Arsenio."
In response to Reply # 7

------------------
One Hundred.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:13 AM

9. "Yo. EVERY response to West is ether. Dyson murked his career"
In response to Reply # 1

Its sad. He's turning into the Bill O'Reilly of the pro-black movement.

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:09 AM

29. "Nah he murked it by himself"
In response to Reply # 9

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:57 AM

25. "lol West alluded to Obama in 3 sentences. Is he on that FOX News?"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Jul-17-15 11:03 AM by flipnile

The F does Obama have to do with Coates' book?

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "I 'bout done with Cornel West."
In response to Reply # 1

That nigga is lost.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Goldmind
Member since Oct 28th 2004
27522 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:42 AM

39. "THIS is the Black feminist response that everyone is talking about: "
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Jul-17-15 11:43 AM by Goldmind

http://www.buzzfeed.com/shani/between-the-world-and-she#.eo8Z4z0zkk

Btw, Shani O. Hilton is everything. Virtually everyone has only good things to say about her.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:16 AM

2. "RE: They coming for Tha GAWD from all sides"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-17-15 09:22 AM by double 0

Their last breaths as a new king is crowned..

Brooks has zero bullets (germs or steel) for the gawd tho..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 02:22 PM

50. "The Ta-Nehisi Coates Column David Brooks Should Have Written"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.theawl.com/2015/07/see-you-in-aspen

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:17 AM

3. "He made it."
In response to Reply # 0

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:15 AM

11. "funny...yo went to my HS but never heard of him till here"
In response to Reply # 0

=======================================
Coolin...

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:27 AM

17. "dyson comments on Wests comments to Morrisons comments on coates' commen..."
In response to Reply # 0

Intellectual royal rumble. With at least half of the participants nobody asked for.

Personally I am waiting for tavis, & then charles barkley & tyrese to weigh in.

Of course in the observer-

Mr. Coates did not respond to an email request asking for comment, but Michael Eric Dyson, a professor of sociology at Georgetown University who wrote a withering takedown of Mr. West in the April issue of The New Republic, was more than happy to weigh in.

He described Mr. West’s Facebook post as an “acrimonious dirge,” a “bitter, nasty, sorrowful blue note,” and “despotically and willfully intolerant of the gifts and talents of those who may potentially eclipse him.”

“It shows the vast ineptitude of professor West’s scholarship,” Mr. Dyson told the Observer in a phone conversation. “The point I made in my piece is that he doesn’t keep up, he doesn’t read the freshest, newest, most insightful scholarship, nor does he write about it in any serious fashion or teach it in his curriculum, and it shows here.”

Mr. Dyson called Mr. Coates, who writes about race for The Atlantic, a “greatly gifted writer” who forms “sentences and thoughts that sing on the page and stick to the mind.”

“Every charge he made against Ta-Nehisi is patently false,” Mr. Dyson said. “Shall I introduce you to his essay on reparations? It has every bit of the analysis that West was hankering for,” Mr. Dyson added, alluding to Mr. Coates’s Atlantic cover story “The Case for Reparations,” which was published last summer. He also described Mr. West’s post as a rebuke of Toni Morrison. “And so now that makes her look like a dupe and a boob when she is a literary genius who possesses a Nobel Prize in literature,” he said. “I think her pedigree of assessment is far more convincing than Cornel West’s.”

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "Signed, Uncle Ruckus"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-17-15 10:34 AM by Creole

There was nice commentary until I got to this one:

kdunn99
Memphis, TN 4 hours ago
Brooks, you are so gullible. Every decade or so, some black person writes a searing (yes, they use that word) book or essay about how terrible it is to be black. I am writing to say that it ain't that bad. My wife and I are black baby boomers born and raised on the south side of Chicago. We grew up in a world that was predominantly black but there was a whole wide world out there if you were willing to reach for it. My wife enjoyed plays and even operas with her mother. I haunted the Museum of Science and Industry, the library on 62nd & Blackstone and similar places where I met people of all races and creeds.

To suggest that black people felt that 9/11 was chickens coming home to roost is a calumny. I was incensed on 9/11! I wanted the US to make somebody pay (of course, Bush messed that up).

I am a proud former black Marine. I fly an American flag every day. As for Coates, this is the best place in the world to be black. Ask any of the Africans striving to get in.

Oh, and you don't have privilege because you are white. You have privilege because you earned it my studying, working and becoming a New York Times columnist.

194Recommend

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:59 AM

26. "he got that top shelf indoctrination in the Marines"
In response to Reply # 18

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:37 AM

21. "Finished his latest book...haven't read anything like this since The Fir..."
In response to Reply # 0

At this point Im pretty confident in saying Coates is approaching James Baldwin territory

kayru99
16105 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:53 AM

24. "he ain't even close, for a TON of reasons"
In response to Reply # 21

the body of work ain't there, the fiction ain't there, and he is just now getting to be remotely as radical as Baldwin. Plus, Baldwin is just a better writer of non-fiction, probably because he knew the importance of narrative as a fiction writer.

And I *like* Coates, but the internet hype train is ahistorical as hell

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:02 AM

27. "Baldwin is the greatest American author. Bar none."
In response to Reply # 24

Amritsar
32093 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:47 AM

41. "He's definitely up there"
In response to Reply # 27

but when you say author you're broadening the scope.. gotta include poets, playwrights, essayists, Novelists, etc

I've got

Baldwin
Scott Fitzgerald
Twain
Hemingway
Hughes
Whitman
Poe
Vonnegut
Capote

AFRICAN
Charter member
11871 posts
Sat Jul-18-15 02:24 AM

58. "I put Baldwin in the number one spot too"
In response to Reply # 41
Sat Jul-18-15 02:26 AM by AFRICAN

He articulated so much emotion so powerfully.
I think he's unmatched in American literature in all genres.
Coates is no slouch by any measure but he's not there yet.
He might be one day.
For the record I think these comparisons are not fair to either writer.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
instagram:@3rdworldview
Blessed be the Lord /who believe any mess they read up on the message board

Amritsar
32093 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:42 AM

40. "agreed on the internet hype train"
In response to Reply # 24

but Coates too understands the importance of narrative, man

the reparations piece starts off with a narrative. In his NPR interview last week he said as much. Even cited The Fire Next Time as a source of inspiration for his new joint. How that also begins with a narrative.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:12 AM

30. "Man, the level of butthurt because Toni Morrison compared him to Baldwin"
In response to Reply # 0

is absolutely hilarious

Corn L. West was also on some bullshit. Talking about "he doesn't criticize the President in power", do you ACCEPT...

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:16 AM

32. "It makes me sad"
In response to Reply # 30

> do you ACCEPT...

That people may not get this. Look, Bishop, Bishop!

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:20 AM

33. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 32

but on the real though. West's takedown was like... "wow, have you ever read him?"

Like the others have said. can't wait for Tavis and friends to chime in. Gonna be good.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:24 AM

37. "That is precisely what made Cornel get on FB typing stupid."

------------------
One Hundred.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:53 AM

44. "I'll be glad when Obama is out of office so West can stop seeing red"

He's still young enough to get back on the ball.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35271 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:24 PM

53. "is that what this is? literary nerd shit? lmao"

Good that Black literature is at the forefront of the social consciousness right now

But hilarious that the anger is over *that*

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:21 AM

34. "Folks don't understand Ta-Nehisi perspective- he don't give a fuck what "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-17-15 11:22 AM by Castro

they think. Really.

The people that he wants to please (his parents, his circle of folks) are happy with his work and that is cool. He trusts his process, its been honed by years of being around arguably one of the three most important Black publishers in this country (his Father), not to mention the time spent at Howard around the likes of Ethelbert Miller. He trusts his writing because if it wasn't effective, he wouldn't be dining at the White House (after talking shit about Obama's policies).

And quite honestly, if Cornel West can't handle what Michael Eric Dyson unleashed on him, he sure as fuck ain't ready for some West Baltimore style straight talk.

The Baldwin thing? I don't think he's in that territory either, but the scholarship is there, the clarity in the prose is there, and what is definitely absent? A fuck. There aren't any fucks to give in what he is writing. No hurt "Obama didn't invite me" or "Toni didn't give me a blurb" type feelings...none of that shit.

In a weird way, if any of you are familiar with Paul Beatty's work, Coates is like a east coast Gunnar Kaufmann...like he's looking at everything going on and is clear about it and quite possibly over it.

------------------
One Hundred.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:48 AM

42. "Yup @ "he don't give a fuck what...""
In response to Reply # 34
Fri Jul-17-15 12:05 PM by Creole

LOL...

His facial expressions kill me when I see him on tv. If the dude is asked an assinine question, his facial expressions are like: "Man! The fuck you tawnbout. Peep this..."

He drops his lines with no hesitation. Why should he especially when he's providing the actual factuals including HIS perspective and personal history?

kayru99
16105 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 12:02 PM

45. "nah. NAH. I don't think Coates is anywhere near as mad as Baldwin "

was, at any point in his career. I don't even think he *can* be.

I don't think Coates is as outsider as Beatty - who really thinks its *all* a lie, including the ideas behind it.

I'll say this: I'm glad that there is a renewed interest in public intellectuals. I'm glad Coates writes. But he writes for the Atlantic Monthly. He's pretty mainstream.

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 12:23 PM

46. "Where did you see me say he was mad?"
In response to Reply # 45

He don't give a fuck. There is a difference.

I agree that he is mainstream, but there is a subversive bent to his perspective because of his upbringing.

------------------
One Hundred.

kayru99
16105 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 12:29 PM

48. "I don't think he's as IDGAF/mad as you do. "
In response to Reply # 46

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 12:53 PM

49. "Love it maybe, wonder if I can buy a copy from his pops"

Keep that bread all in the family

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:12 PM

51. "Mahoganybooks.com"
In response to Reply # 49

------------------
One Hundred.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:21 AM

35. "I didn't realize the book was out."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-17-15 11:22 AM by Hitokiri

Just ordered it.
Ta Nehisi is the real deal. Fuck these haters.
I wish I was back in college because they gotta be reading him, or they will be very soon.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:50 AM

43. "I'm gonna cop one for my daughter to read on her trip to PR"
In response to Reply # 35

She's a junior in high school and is currently working through her summer reading list. While on this trip to PR with my mother, she should take some time to read this so that she and I can discuss it.

I'm even considering buying copies to hand to my sons, nephews, and homeboys.

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:23 AM

36. "Here is footage of him reading at the book release:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://vimeo.com/133672577

------------------
One Hundred.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 12:28 PM

47. "No publicity is bad publicity"
In response to Reply # 0

You dont write about the things he does in the way he does without expecting and welcoming controversy.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

csuave03
Member since May 20th 2007
3067 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 09:22 PM

52. "That book is hot FIRE"
In response to Reply # 0

My man came with that irrefutable heat.

Sometimes people can't even respond because a statement is so grounded in truth that they can't do anything but maliciously attack with no regards for logic.

The hate is real out here y'all

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:25 PM

54. "Can't lie..all this time I thought he wrote trashy black self-improvemen..."
In response to Reply # 0

Like Steve Harvey, or that one cat who used to be a pimp.

I either have him mixed up with someone else, or I judged him by his name.

Is my conditioning conditioned?

csuave03
3067 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:32 PM

55. "Oh, nevermind. I know what you mean"
In response to Reply # 54
Fri Jul-17-15 10:34 PM by csuave03

Still don't judge a book by its cover yo

murderbear
2087 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 10:59 PM

56. "tariq nasheed...it just hit me"
In response to Reply # 55

Anyway, I'm glad he's not. I will investigate further

csuave03
3067 posts
Fri Jul-17-15 11:18 PM

57. "I figured"
In response to Reply # 56

But he's not a scholar and he's not that difficult to ignore.

Still, I don't regard him as 100% snake oils-man though he uses divisive language and tends to provoke people

murderbear
2087 posts
Sat Jul-18-15 05:36 AM

59. "I steered clear of all of it....but I won't anymore"
In response to Reply # 57

I'm slightly embarrassed, to be honest.

I will atone by reading Coates book though

Lobby General Discussion topic #12856243 Previous topic | Next topic