Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12852375

Subject: "What do you consider "Homeless?"" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 04:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What do you consider "Homeless?""

My perception of "homeless" has ALWAYS been of what I saw in Downtown L.A./Skid Row, and in every other hood. Folks who literally live in tents and boxes on the street, begging for money, usually for years at a time. Those who go to the shelter because there's zero other options, and usually no family support or any friends who are there to help...for whatever reaasons.

Then, I started hearing stories about how certain celebs were "homeless," such as Tyler Perry who would sleep out of his car. And then, I started meeting hundreds of folks who moved to L.A. and basically sleep couch to couch with no permanent address, and some of them will refer to being "homeless" when they speak in a "Rags to riches" "I made it!" tone.

So my question is...what do you consider to be "homeless?" If someone has slept on a train/bus bench for less than a week, would you consider them to have been homeless, or more-so between homes? Is my perception of the word just screwed up because I expect homeless folks to be begging for change with extremely dirty clothes on?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no permanent address...not by choice
Jul 13th 2015
i used to work on housing and homelessness issues
Jul 13th 2015
under that definition there's prolly a number of folks on this board
Jul 13th 2015
I can get that, yeah. My little homie (RIP) just dealt with a similar
Jul 13th 2015
pretty much
Jul 13th 2015
no place to go, living on the street/shelter/tent/box on the block
Jul 13th 2015
not living i long-term temporary or permanent housing that you pay for.
Jul 13th 2015
Couch to couch is homeless
Jul 13th 2015
having no residence
Jul 13th 2015
having to sleep in the streets
Jul 13th 2015

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 04:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "no permanent address...not by choice"
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 04:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i used to work on housing and homelessness issues"
In response to Reply # 0

and after that i came to understand that ppl who sleep couch-to-couch or who rent hotel rooms as their living place or who sleep in their cars...those ppl are definitely homeless. i saw that one doesn't have to sleep on the street or in a park or under a bridge or even in a shelter to be considered homeless by the ppl and organizations who work w/the homeless. so now i see it.

i had a little cousin who was in his wild phase in his early 20s and got kicked out of his parents' house. he was sleeping from couch to couch w/our relatives and was fucking up. so we had a Come To Jesus where i let him know HE was homeless and was on the verge of having to sleep on the street if he didn't shape up. i let him know he qualified for several programs i worked with...i had to break it to him b/c he was acting all uppity about some bullshit. lol

fuck you.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "under that definition there's prolly a number of folks on this board"
In response to Reply # 2

that were homeless at some point.

... including me.

Summer of 1997 just wasn't cool for a bruh.
---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I can get that, yeah. My little homie (RIP) just dealt with a similar"
In response to Reply # 2

situation, where his parents would kick him out over and over, but he would always come back after a few days and they let him stay. It was always for smoking weed or something stupid...some nights, he would just walk around the neighborhood, or sleep in his car, if he didn't have a couch to stay on. He could never afford to get a motel, or at least never spent money on it.

But even in his case, I don't know if I would have called him "homeless" since he still had the permanent address. Hell, the car he was in was under his home address as well.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:35 PM

8. "pretty much"
In response to Reply # 2

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:02 PM

3. "no place to go, living on the street/shelter/tent/box on the block"
In response to Reply # 0

I've seen a lot of men and women like that in downtown PHX. I worked at this spot downtown off Van Buren ave and a block away was the single homeless men's shelter. Shit was depressing seeing all these able-bodied dudes completely destitute like that.

At one point around 2003 or so there was an area just west of downtown where homeless folks were able to set up tents and live there. Not sure what happened 'cause that shit was gone a few years later.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

PROMO
Charter member
30945 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:23 PM

6. "not living i long-term temporary or permanent housing that you pay for."
In response to Reply # 0

i've been homeless before.

it sucked ass, but it made me a better person.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:25 PM

7. "Couch to couch is homeless"
In response to Reply # 0

If you don't have a permanent residence nor the resources to secure one at will then you're homless. If your living situation is based on the whim of someone else who can come home from work and say you got to go today... then you're homeless. If you stay in a motel because you can't secure an apartment... etc. I think more homeless people exist couch to couch and relative to relative than do sleeping on a park bench or down on skid row.

DJTB YOMM

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:39 PM

9. "having no residence"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-13-15 05:39 PM by GirlChild

and i've been homeless (two months before i graduated undergrad) before thanks to a roommate not paying his rent

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 05:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "having to sleep in the streets"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12852375 Previous topic | Next topic