Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12842334

Subject: "podcasting/recording without a studio" Previous topic | Next topic
teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"podcasting/recording without a studio"

which one of y'all does this?

what do you use to record?
usb mic or analog mic w/ a usb interface?

i think i'm going to start up a podcast. it'd be interview style. usually just one guest but maybe a few at a time depending on the theme

this article was super helpful but im wondering if anyone has experience/examples of using slightly less. at least for the outset.

http://transom.org/2015/podcasting-basics-part-1-voice-recording-gear/

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: podcasting/recording without a studio
Jun 30th 2015
nice. i already have ableton so this may work
Jun 30th 2015
what monitor do you use? just curious
Jun 30th 2015
      RE: what monitor do you use? just curious
Jun 30th 2015
           ahhhh. ok yeah i started to think about it after i asked like
Jun 30th 2015
                RE: ahhhh. ok yeah i started to think about it after i asked like
Jun 30th 2015
                     the mixer has 4 mic inputs too?
Jun 30th 2015
                          RE: the mixer has 4 mic inputs too?
Jun 30th 2015
GarageBand on My MacBook for recording
Jun 30th 2015
i want something good, damn near studio to start
Jun 30th 2015
two of these and some headphones and you should be set
Jun 30th 2015
someone suggested snowballs
Jun 30th 2015
      sheeit... I can duplicate pretty much every studio function in a PC
Jun 30th 2015
           well i wouldnt need any of it is my point
Jun 30th 2015
                Check out Reaper
Jun 30th 2015
                     just started reading up on it!
Jun 30th 2015
                          That review is from 2010, there's loads more to it now
Jun 30th 2015
you don't need a studio
Jun 30th 2015
#9 theres more of a reason as to why i'd want a studio
Jun 30th 2015
this here is key for distance recording
Jun 30th 2015
      skype podcasts are the woorrrrrst
Jul 01st 2015
      yeah im definitely trying to avoid the phone
Jul 01st 2015
when you gonna let me come thru and spit BARZ
Jun 30th 2015
I use this to clean up the audio after it's been recorded...
Jun 30th 2015
i found mixers to be too involved if you're a member of the cast.
Jul 01st 2015
yeah im going to be part of it
Jul 01st 2015
I purchased the EIE Pro and love it. it has four inputs.
Jul 01st 2015
      ?
Jul 01st 2015
           5-way headphone spliter. cast members share the same feed.
Jul 01st 2015
                ah so like what Wonderl33t suggested.
Jul 01st 2015
It depends on what you're going for.
Jul 01st 2015
You can "rent" free studio time at the Brooklyn Public Library
Jul 01st 2015
up
Jul 02nd 2015
what about this?
Jul 06th 2015
Personally I'd go M-Audio M-Track Quad
Jul 06th 2015
      tascam has what i want more though
Jul 06th 2015
yay!
Jul 06th 2015
I support this. My podcast rotation is a giant sausage party.
Jul 06th 2015

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: podcasting/recording without a studio"
In response to Reply # 0

I do a fantasy football podcast on a budget. It's me and a bud, and I have my phone connected to the mixer to take calls using a mix minus. I tried doing Skype for calls, but I found a regular cell phone line to be much better quality. Skype got choppy on me and the quality wasn't as good.

I skimmed the article - I personally wouldn't mess with a condenser mic if you're just starting out, unless you have great acoustic conditions. Condenser mics pick up everything -- fans, AC running, fridge running, cars driving by. And they cost more. A dynamic mic will sound fine and not pick up the background noise and hum.

Here is my setup

-Behringer XM8500 mics (2 of them) with Shure foam ball windscreens and desk stands
-Behringer X1204USB mixer
-Headphone amp to split the monitor to 2 pairs of headphones. Pyle Pro PHA40
-iPad for sounds using the Soundboard app by Ambrosia software. Ambrosia is defunct and Soundboard is not supported or updated, but it works well.

I can explain the phone hook up, or you can google mix minus for how to set that up.

I connect it to a Macbook Pro through USB. I record with Audacity and run the raw recording through Ableton Live for compression and editing. There are probably cheaper options for compression, but I already had Ableton.

I spent more than I needed to on the mixer, but I figured I'd get something with more inputs than I need in case future projects call for it. That's a $180 mixer (although I paid $150). You can get a USB mixer with fewer inputs for well under $100.

>which one of y'all does this?
>
>what do you use to record?
>usb mic or analog mic w/ a usb interface?
>
>i think i'm going to start up a podcast. it'd be interview
>style. usually just one guest but maybe a few at a time
>depending on the theme
>
>this article was super helpful but im wondering if anyone has
>experience/examples of using slightly less. at least for the
>outset.
>
>http://transom.org/2015/podcasting-basics-part-1-voice-recording-gear/
>
>

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:41 PM

4. "nice. i already have ableton so this may work"
In response to Reply # 1

like.me

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:10 PM

10. "what monitor do you use? just curious"
In response to Reply # 1

i wonder if it makes sense to buy smaller ones since i have to carry this around. not that the rockits are terribly big. if i could record bags on the subway i should be able to carry a monitor

like.me

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 03:01 PM

14. "RE: what monitor do you use? just curious"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Jun-30-15 03:07 PM by Wonderl33t

I meant monitor signal. The mixer has a monitor output that goes to the headphone amp, and the amp splits it to 2 pairs of headphones.

When I edit, I just use the laptop speakers or my Sennheiser HD 497 headphones. Or if I really want to hear the detail, I have Alesis M1 520 monitors in the other room on my desktop PC.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 03:11 PM

15. "ahhhh. ok yeah i started to think about it after i asked like"
In response to Reply # 14

'wouldn't there be an echo of the monitor on the recording?"
lol.

but yeah for editing/playback im good on that. i would like the headphone split though. i doubt i'd interview 2+ people at a time a lot but i do know i'll be doing it once in my initial episodes.

like.me

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 03:36 PM

17. "RE: ahhhh. ok yeah i started to think about it after i asked like"
In response to Reply # 15

The amp I have does up to 4, so there is plenty of room to grow.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 03:45 PM

18. "the mixer has 4 mic inputs too?"
In response to Reply # 17

if im looking at this correctly

like.me

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 03:49 PM

19. "RE: the mixer has 4 mic inputs too?"
In response to Reply # 18

Yeah, the X1204USB has 4 XLR mic inputs as well as a couple of extra line-in inputs.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:25 PM

2. "GarageBand on My MacBook for recording"
In response to Reply # 0

your laptop should have a built in mic. it isnt studio quality but it's above average

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:43 PM

6. "i want something good, damn near studio to start"
In response to Reply # 2

im pulling in folks i basically admire the shit out of so i can't have this sound even slightly janky.

if it was just me i'd use the laptop mic

like.me

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:40 PM

3. "two of these and some headphones and you should be set"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Snowball-Ice-USB-Microphone-with-HD-Audio-108129057-i2618888.gc?country=us¤cy=usd&isfullsite=1&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CPmF39CHuMYCFUdufgodBBgLkA&kwid=productads-plaid^123359899962-sku^108129057@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^57619015002

LOL @ needing a studio for anything in 2015.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:42 PM

5. "someone suggested snowballs"
In response to Reply # 3

im hearing different things about them though

lol man if i had studio access i wouldn't have to worry about any of this. i know of some resources but i feel the likelihood that they'll let me use their space free depends on the initial output

like.me

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:54 PM

7. "sheeit... I can duplicate pretty much every studio function in a PC"
In response to Reply # 5

Even the oldest of my PC's can pull off high quality recording (an old 933MHz P3 running XP), it's all about knowing what you're doing and what your limitations are. In this day and age, unless you just want to blow money, there's very few scenarios where it would be worth it to invest in studio time.

I don't know how it is in Mac land, but I could pull off an entire studio for free under Windows complete with high quality compression (multi-band if necessary), multi track audio recording, high quality effects, and all that (legit free, not cracked warez full of malware and shit).

All you would need would be mics, headphones, and monitors if you want.

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:02 PM

8. "well i wouldnt need any of it is my point"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Jun-30-15 02:03 PM by teefiveten

i wouldnt pay for studio time

i have monitors and i could always stand to have an extra pair of studio headphones (i already have a pair I dj with) so buying those wouldn't seem to be an outlay for me

the initial reviews of mics had me shook price wise but the berhinger route seems to be plausible and extremely inexpensive. i may skip the mixer and amp and go straight for a usb interface. audacity is free for mac and i already have ableton so it looks like i can do this for under $150

ideally i could have access to just walk in a space and record but i need something to show first.

also, part of the studio space appeal is having a location to have guests come to since it'd be a guest driven podcast. i live in NYC. it's hard to escape noise. i can't exactly interview folks in my bathroom.

like.me

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:37 PM

12. "Check out Reaper"
In response to Reply # 8

Full blown multi-track DAW for dirt cheap. The demo is the full program, complete with saving and everything enabled (just a nag screen when you first start it). I've been using it more and more lately and I'm going to pull the trigger on buying it soon.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:42 PM

13. "just started reading up on it!"
In response to Reply # 12

http://transom.org/2010/reaper-review/

like.me

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 03:29 PM

16. "That review is from 2010, there's loads more to it now"
In response to Reply # 13

Reaper is a godsend for people that want/need to record and are on a tight budget.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "you don't need a studio"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-30-15 02:12 PM by Rjcc

a decent mic and an amp can make you sound amazing, it's just all in the editing to make sure the levels are right and everything is consistent.

I always used a snowball mic

I think the only thing we used that cost money, was soundflower to pipe the audio over for our live feed while we were recording. I don't know what software out eidtors used to sync it all up, but we weren't even in the same room, we were talking over skype, recording mp3s independently then putting it together.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

teefiveten
33019 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:11 PM

11. "#9 theres more of a reason as to why i'd want a studio"
In response to Reply # 9

than wanting fancy equipment

like.me

ear2ear
Charter member
3578 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 10:46 PM

22. "this here is key for distance recording"
In response to Reply # 9

>recording mp3s independently then putting
>it together.

No one wants to listen to a Skype call. With good editing they won't know you're not in the same room.

~
www.twitter.com/ear2ear

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 01:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "skype podcasts are the woorrrrrst"
In response to Reply # 22

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

teefiveten
33019 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 08:19 AM

24. "yeah im definitely trying to avoid the phone"
In response to Reply # 22

my subjects mostly live in NYC or will be passing through so i am trying to avoid that.

i'm also thinking about using my office on a saturday/sunday to record. lol. it'll be quiet. i may have to worry about wind b/c it's high up in the building. once i get all the gear i'm going to do a test run.

like.me

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 04:29 PM

20. "when you gonna let me come thru and spit BARZ"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats all I wanna know

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 10:23 PM

21. "I use this to clean up the audio after it's been recorded..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.soundness-llc.com/products/soundsoap4/

It does a good job...

I record the vocals into ableton and insert this as an audio effect...

The article you posted and the advice in the other replies are pretty spot on I think...

looking forward to hearing it, m'am

Kwesi
Member since Jan 11th 2004
7370 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 10:18 AM

25. "i found mixers to be too involved if you're a member of the cast."
In response to Reply # 0

if there's a person not on-mic doing the mixing that's a good setup.

but most of the vocal audio should probably be recorded on separate tracks, sans any music.

add music etc. in post production.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 10:23 AM

26. "yeah im going to be part of it"
In response to Reply # 25

and i want to do separate tracks. most of the time it will just be me and 1 other but I already see some episodes having up to 4 people.

and that mixer is big. if i'm travelling to ppl to do this, it's gonna suck. lol. i carry enough gear to gigs.

i'm looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-18i8-Interface-Preamps/dp/B00CPCJI2C/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1435764093&sr=1-8

i don't need 18 inputs but the 4 mic inputs is enticing

this seems to be better $ wise but i don't like the analog signaling and that there are only 2

http://www.amazon.com/Akai-Professional-EIE-Recording-Integrated/dp/B0042Z3ADI/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1435764155&sr=1-2&keywords=akai+eie+pro

like.me

Kwesi
7370 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 10:45 AM

27. "I purchased the EIE Pro and love it. it has four inputs."
In response to Reply # 26

but only two meters.

that's kinda awkward but most of the metering will be done on the software side for each track.

i've yet to figure out how to monitor to four separate headphones directly from the box. but i got a work-around for that.

the extra USB inputs have proven very valuable.

overall, i recommend it.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 11:33 AM

29. "?"
In response to Reply # 27

>i've yet to figure out how to monitor to four separate
>headphones directly from the box. but i got a work-around for
>that.

what's your work around apart from the software?

like.me

Kwesi
7370 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 11:36 AM

30. "5-way headphone spliter. cast members share the same feed."
In response to Reply # 29

i actively monitor the levels. im usually not a cast member.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 12:08 PM

32. "ah so like what Wonderl33t suggested."
In response to Reply # 30

his is a 4 way though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=763205&gclid=COqJ29y1usYCFVUbgQodUOwKcA&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

what's your 5 way and are there indicators on it?

i'd have to monitor and be in the cast so i need something i can eyeball fast that's not big and has a grillion buttons. granted there shouldn't be too much or any adjusting once we get started but just in case there is a need to, i'd like it to be compact and easy to read.

like.me

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 11:24 AM

28. "It depends on what you're going for."
In response to Reply # 25

I personally prefer to do all of the music and sounds live because it's a more immersive experience for the cast and callers. But it is hard to mix and host, so there will be some mistakes and it won't sound as professional. I like a little bit of meta-radio, though. I think it's entertaining.

>if there's a person not on-mic doing the mixing that's a good
>setup.
>
>but most of the vocal audio should probably be recorded on
>separate tracks, sans any music.
>
>add music etc. in post production.

Niq96st
Member since Jun 16th 2005
8396 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 11:54 AM

31. "You can "rent" free studio time at the Brooklyn Public Library"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.bklynlibrary.org/central/information-commons-recording-studio

A friend and I are starting a podcast and that's what we're doing.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 12:35 PM

33. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

like.me

teefiveten
33019 posts
Mon Jul-06-15 11:19 AM

34. "what about this?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-US-4x4-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B00MIXF1JW

like.me

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Mon Jul-06-15 02:52 PM

37. "Personally I'd go M-Audio M-Track Quad"
In response to Reply # 34

http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/m-track-quad#.VZram4V7Atw

I've been accused of being an M-Audio shill elsewhere on the internet, but I've been using their products since the mid 90's when they were called Midiman. I've never had a problem with any of their stuff.

Tascam... I was a big Tascam fan in the late 80's and throughout the 90's, but I've been wary of their audio interfaces, particularly the long term support of them.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Mon Jul-06-15 03:13 PM

38. "tascam has what i want more though"
In response to Reply # 37

it's got individual headphone amps and the LED indicators so i can quickly see if someone's input is too hot

the M audio doesn't have either. i don't need the headphone so much but i'd like something other than just the software i'd be using to record to tell me if my levels are too high

like.me

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Jul-06-15 12:55 PM

35. "yay!"
In response to Reply # 0

sorry thats all i got
(.. )
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Jul-06-15 01:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "I support this. My podcast rotation is a giant sausage party."
In response to Reply # 0

Besides Another Round, it's pretty much all dudes.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Lobby General Discussion topic #12842334 Previous topic | Next topic