Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12837203

Subject: "Who u wit: Medicine vs Natural Remedy/Organic/etc" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Who u wit: Medicine vs Natural Remedy/Organic/etc"

What side are you generally on?

I know that a lot of folks nowadays are totally against medicine, whether it's for a headache or as extreme as cancer/HIV.

I was born a month early, and in December, so I figure that could be why my immune system has ALWAYS been bad. I literally get sick EVERY year within 2-3 weeks of my Birthday, and I have allergy problems year round. I've always been the type to take medicines, usually 1-2 a day, and maybe 4-5 on those bad weeks that happen a few times per year.

A lotta folks I know, especially in L.A., are Team Natural, Organic, Only from the earth, improve your diet and exercise and you won't need medicine. I surely understand that sentiment, and I have heard that some people even heal when they stop taking medicine. I'm also sure that there are a lot of placebos out there.

Poll result (22 votes)
Team Medicine (5 votes)Vote
Team Natural Remedy/Organic/From the earth/Good diet (2 votes)Vote
A mixture of both (15 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
medicine..try goin to dentist on some organic bullshit
Jun 23rd 2015
I NEVER get sick.
Jun 23rd 2015
I HATE y'all, literally.
Jun 23rd 2015
well when u finally do, use Daycare/Nyquil, not no cleanse, honey etc bs
Jun 24th 2015
I rarely get sick, but antibiotics probably fukked up my digestive healt...
Jun 23rd 2015
Steve Jobs confirmed what I thought
Jun 23rd 2015
^ Beat me to it
Jun 23rd 2015
      Damn!! I never knew this
Jun 24th 2015
Homeopathic and Organic is a straight scam
Jun 23rd 2015
Both, but default to medicine. Mostly because there is a robust and
Jun 23rd 2015
I do laugh at most cleanses that people go on
Jun 24th 2015
medicine
Jun 23rd 2015
medicine.
Jun 23rd 2015
I'm more diet + exercise (for prevention) and medicine as a last resort
Jun 24th 2015
It's not an either/or but both...although there should be more of an
Jun 24th 2015

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 12:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "medicine..try goin to dentist on some organic bullshit"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I NEVER get sick. "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 12:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I HATE y'all, literally."
In response to Reply # 2

I actually do hate y'all who never get sick, but then tell folks like me that it's my fault. Like, if it's under 68 at night and I'm sweating, I'll immediately sneeze when I go outside. That ain't got nann to do with diet or anything, that's just my immune system being forever weak.

I guess I can't complain for real, since I've never been SICK-sick at all. Never been in the hospital or anything.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 11:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "well when u finally do, use Daycare/Nyquil, not no cleanse, honey etc bs"
In response to Reply # 2

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 02:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I rarely get sick, but antibiotics probably fukked up my digestive healt..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-23-15 02:47 PM by micMajestic

If I had a choice, I'd rather get sick more often, instead of having to have such a finicky stomach.
I'm on the side of science, but not necessarily modern medicine/big pharma. Basically I try to do my own cost/benefits analysis on what I consume & supplement with & go from there. There's some stuff you really can't get around going to the doctor for.

Let my love slide in and never slip out

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 03:37 PM

5. "Steve Jobs confirmed what I thought"
In response to Reply # 0

Organic Homeopathic stuff is good for helping with the prevention of disease. But when you've got something like cancer, don't mess around. Get that Western medicine.

He told his friend (who had just been diagnosed with cancer)that with all his money and access to every homeopathic remedy, he still got got. If he had the time to do it all over again, he would have used some Western medicine.

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 04:03 PM

7. "^ Beat me to it"
In response to Reply # 5

His case is so sad, honestly. Like the type of pancreatic cancer he had is so ridiculously rare, and has a higher survival rate than the more common adenocarcinomas (>90% of all pancreatic cases) if caught early and surgery done asap. The odds were uniquely on his side.

Too stubborn for his own good

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 10:55 AM

11. "Damn!! I never knew this"
In response to Reply # 7

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 03:58 PM

6. "Homeopathic and Organic is a straight scam"
In response to Reply # 0

as far as the whole "if it's natural it's good for you" movement, they clearly don't realize that some very natural things can and will kill you.

for me, food is not medicine it's food.

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 04:13 PM

8. "Both, but default to medicine. Mostly because there is a robust and"
In response to Reply # 0

tightly regulated infrastructure in place to develop, manufacture, test for safety, distribute, recommend, recall AND review past evidence when it comes to any product or practice. A lot of medicines are synthesized to mimic/enhance/block natural biochemical processes anyway, so its not like medicines are completely divorced from nature.

There's hefty misconceptions from both camps though. The natural/organic/from the earth perception is particularly insidious as these products comprise of chemical compounds just like any medicine does. Even most vitamins and minerals have a dose that shouldn't be exceeded regularly, whether due to toxicity risk or interaction with other important biochemical processes.

Still, I always joke that a lot of people would put more thought into what they put in their gas tank than what they put in their bodies.

Fill up gas tank with orange juice, popcorn, and miscellaneous garbage?>> Hell no, wtf?

Go on random "cleanse" diet drinking a gallon a day of some non-descript foreign herbal concoction with 10 supplements/day?>> Ya!

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 10:56 AM

12. "I do laugh at most cleanses that people go on"
In response to Reply # 8

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 04:19 PM

9. "medicine"
In response to Reply # 0

but that doesnt mean I turn away from natural "medicines". When I have a sore throat I will have tea with honey and lemon. I know the aloe vera plant at my moms house soothed my hundreds of scraps and cuts for years. But on the flip side I get a flu shot every year. If I get a flu I am taking theraflu. I aint trusting no plants and berries for anything serious.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jun-23-15 04:20 PM

10. "medicine."
In response to Reply # 0

but i do eat chicken noodle soup when i have a cold.

fuck you.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 11:12 AM

13. "I'm more diet + exercise (for prevention) and medicine as a last resort"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll usually let minor illnesses like the cold just run their course. No decongestants, no pain relievers... I'll just make sure I get some extra sleep, make sure I eat appropriately and avoid as much stress as possible.

If it's more major and modern medicine can actually CURE it, I'll do the modern medicine.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 11:41 AM

15. "It's not an either/or but both...although there should be more of an "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-24-15 11:42 AM by vee-lover

emphasis on the natural healing side of the ledger...

We should never become too dependent on medicine because it strips the body of its innate ability to heal itself

Medicine is best used for acute, emergency medical situations

grassrootsphilosopher

Lobby General Discussion topic #12837203 Previous topic | Next topic