Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12834680

Subject: "Hair & Money - Let's talk" Previous topic | Next topic
dapitts08
Member since Apr 03rd 2008
8204 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 09:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hair & Money - Let's talk"

Just read this article on Ben Horowitz' blog:

http://www.bhorowitz.com/who_do_you_trust

For those who don't know...Ben is an extremely successful venture capitalist that has invested in tech companies like facebook, foursquare, github, pinterest, etc.

He a big fan of hip hop and always starts his blog out with some rap lyric. He did the same for the chapters of his highly popular book "the hard thing about hard things"

Anyway...back to this article....I really feel some type of way about this venture Mayvenn. https://welcome.mayvenn.com/hello

Why is it that folks always get to come into our community and profit from it? Horowitz is making a $10 million investment in this company selling primarily to black folks and to top it off the company has a Yiddish name. Yeah the hair dressers are getting 15% but how much of that other 85% is going back into the community?

It saddens me even more to know that if someone within the community had the idea for this same company...I am almost certain that the hoops they would have had to go through would have made it almost impossible to happen.

I can't wait for the day that the tides turn and there is more of a balance of black folks as producers & consumers.

the key to happiness is not being rich;
it's doing something arduous and
creating something of value and then
being able to reflect on the fruits of your labor

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i mean you can't fault someone for taking advantage of an opportunity
Jun 19th 2015
for me it is about the difference in the resources
Jun 19th 2015

latenitemix
Charter member
51255 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i mean you can't fault someone for taking advantage of an opportunity"
In response to Reply # 0

the key is where we as a community decide to put our dollars

this lady was on steve harvey yesterday with a similar business
http://www.perfecthaircollection.com/product/whole-sale/the-startup-kit/

i haven't researched but she is black and her business i'm assuming is wholly black-owned and she is offering an entrepreneurial opportunity to folks. support her instead of this guy.

______
gnap.

dapitts08
Member since Apr 03rd 2008
8204 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 09:53 AM

2. "for me it is about the difference in the resources"
In response to Reply # 1

this business is successful because they are able to offer it with no upfront cost to the hairstylists....it's a no brainer....it's basically affiliate marketing for hair.

the key to happiness is not being rich;
it's doing something arduous and
creating something of value and then
being able to reflect on the fruits of your labor

Lobby General Discussion topic #12834680 Previous topic | Next topic