Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12829098

Subject: "basic characteristics of Music that you enjoy?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nvncible1
Member since Jun 17th 2011
1900 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 09:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"basic characteristics of Music that you enjoy?"

Can you name the basic characteristics of music they you tend to find pleasing.

I tend to appreciate more melodic songs.
a song with pseudo-jazzy/ stevie wonder chords.

Rhythmically I like staccato- stuttering like beats. ( slick open hi hats are my favorite drum sound)

Vocally I tend to gravitate towards dynamic singers that have traces of raspy textures to their voice. I like a tinge of teenage angst in vocal delivery too- although its kinda hard to explain...I gear more towards male singers but female singers who use descending scales a lot get to me.

Lyrically I like songs that list examples. Those usually keep me on edge wondering what coming next.

I like to be able to feel and envision a dynamic stage performance when listening to their song.

So that's pretty much my go-to taste in a nutshell.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
give me some atmospheric female vocals and im all ears.
Jun 12th 2015
all genres must have low-end or funk elements
Jun 12th 2015
when the beat switches...
Jun 12th 2015
The DROP!
Jun 12th 2015
Idk what to call it but those Isley Brothers/Sade/Lauryn Hill guitar mel...
Jun 12th 2015
I'm a sucker for triple meter or waltz-based rhythms.
Jun 12th 2015
If it got fender rhodes, chances are I am going to like it.
Jun 12th 2015
1. Hard, sharp, crisp drums. Whether it's acoustic, or heavy 808
Jun 12th 2015

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "give me some atmospheric female vocals and im all ears."
In response to Reply # 0

good post.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:00 AM

2. "all genres must have low-end or funk elements"
In response to Reply # 0

even when it comes to metal I love doom/sludge because of the low end pressence

this is also why i love 70s rock over 80s and why 90s rock still sounds good to me

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:08 AM

3. "when the beat switches..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:13 AM

4. "The DROP! "
In response to Reply # 0

"Jesus is my Lord and Savior. And if you believe in him, he can be your's too."

ThisIs_ATruthThang
Member since Nov 16th 2003
11678 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:17 AM

5. "Idk what to call it but those Isley Brothers/Sade/Lauryn Hill guitar mel..."
In response to Reply # 0

One of my all time favorite songs is Voyage to Atlantis by The Isley Brothers... I will literally hum that entire guitar solo. Lol

Purple Rain another favorite of mine, and Michael Jackson's Dirty Diana...

Somebody's lying...

@Atruelady Twitter/ @Sweetesttaboos Instagram

Teknontheou
Charter member
32710 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I'm a sucker for triple meter or waltz-based rhythms."
In response to Reply # 0

And ditto for high quality melodicism: that's one of the things about Brazilian music I find so attractive.

Related: I like melodies that respect the cadence of the rhythm, i.e., the melody "falls" more or less in line with movement of the rhythm.

Give me unpolished, gritty horns every day of the week.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49448 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:24 AM

7. "If it got fender rhodes, chances are I am going to like it. "
In response to Reply # 0

Not in the same track but rick rubin drums are another element that is always a winner with me.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "1. Hard, sharp, crisp drums. Whether it's acoustic, or heavy 808"
In response to Reply # 0

2. Basslines, acoustic or synth

3. Chords and Chord changes. I almost don't like R&B that has none

4. Guitar chords

5. Rap wise, a sharp, distinctive flow. Whether it's Suga Free who purposely falls off beat, just go come back on beat and go hard inside the pocket...or a Twista type flow, or a Big Boi flow. Basically any flow that can be a bit risky sounds great when it stays in line.

6. Funky ass DJ scratches, just because

7. Build ups. When it starts with just drums and a bass, then them pianos and synths come in, then that guitar, then the whole beat changes up and goes to another dimension. Songs like Jamaica Funk, Prince "Sexy dancer," "Yearning for your love," and especially "For the lover in you" take you on a journey, and you can listen to it thousands of times and never ever get tired of it because it always hits you.

8. Drum patterns, along with the sound of the drums. Great Go-Go songs have the most ridiculous patterns ever...like EU "Umm Bop Bop (Crush on you)." Or when I first heard what Timbo did on "Nigga what, nigga who," I almost flipped. Or the drums on "Find a way."

9. Vocally, I'm always a fan of simply being in key and having a confident voice. If it's slightly off key, it works when it's funky and there's still a style to the voice, like how Prince does a lot.

10. I care more about personality within lyrics than just complex lyrics. So I'll enjoy a "Check the rime" or "Gin n juice" more than a MF Doom type track.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Lobby General Discussion topic #12829098 Previous topic | Next topic