Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12817455

Subject: "What are your thoughts on artificial intelligence?" Previous topic | Next topic
initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What are your thoughts on artificial intelligence?"

What is the point? What can it possibly achieve or contribute to the global collective?

To me, it seems like some type of neurotic insecurity where man(male) is determined to prove that he is greater than the female/universe/god, etc. If you trace the evolution of religion/social evolution you will see that men have subdued/oppressed females, but have not been able to discard them because men are incapable of producing life. Is AI a continuation of that subjugation? The ultimate statement of faux male superiority? All religions feature males wearing robes, or dress like attire to symbolize the feminine aspect of creation which they have "dominated", and thus portray their saints, lords, priests, etc. in this way.

Is there a greater accomplishment than to create sentient life? Do you think it's a good idea or a good use of our time/resources? Is it inevitable? I'm not even sure it is possible to truly create a sentient being as it will no doubt have to be fed untold terabytes of information to even begin to grasp the subtleties of a human being. Wouldn't our best attempt at AI ultimately be a powerful computer which is reference based? I think true intelligence is marked by dissonance/drawing outside of the lines and can a machine be capable of that or understand why an attempt is important?

Many of the greatest minds of our generation are warning humanity about the creation of AI including Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, and Elon Musk. Should we heed their warnings or leave them behind?

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
http://38.media.tumblr.com/ec5df1cca9c3c1c57fa965c74daf25a5/tumblr_inlin...
May 29th 2015
hahahahaha!
May 29th 2015
      maybe this topic is too much for this forum. shrug.
May 29th 2015
           the topic isnt too much...just focus on certain topics concerning it
May 29th 2015
           i was jk, but yeah, just share your thoughts on AI
May 29th 2015
           yeah it's a tough room. but I totally dig the subject matter.
May 29th 2015
                i was jk, but yeah, you should share your thoughts
May 29th 2015
create artificial intelligence & the will eventually try to exterminate ...
May 29th 2015
you got a lot going on in that OP
May 29th 2015
sorry, i just blurt out my thoughts
May 29th 2015
      explain more of what you think makes us artificial intelligence
May 29th 2015
           For one, our bodies in contrast to wildlife
May 29th 2015
considering that we have yet to master natural intelligence ...
May 29th 2015
Reminds me of the old X man cartoon with the sentinals
May 29th 2015
It's a mixed bag
May 29th 2015

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "http://38.media.tumblr.com/ec5df1cca9c3c1c57fa965c74daf25a5/tumblr_inlin..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://38.media.tumblr.com/ec5df1cca9c3c1c57fa965c74daf25a5/tumblr_inline_np0k7qKmuX1qzodbd_500.gif

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3555 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:42 AM

2. "hahahahaha!"
In response to Reply # 1

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:46 AM

3. "maybe this topic is too much for this forum. shrug."
In response to Reply # 2

perhaps humanity will invent intelligent robots for me to talk to. i suddenly see a silver lining, thanks!

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "the topic isnt too much...just focus on certain topics concerning it"
In response to Reply # 3

love to discuss...but by your post dont know where to start

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:04 PM

7. "i was jk, but yeah, just share your thoughts on AI"
In response to Reply # 4

i was just thinking out loud, there is no right or wrong way to respond

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3555 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:59 AM

5. "yeah it's a tough room. but I totally dig the subject matter."
In response to Reply # 3

as a matter of fact I was pondering this very same thing this morning on my way to work, true story. #hivemind

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:05 PM

9. "i was jk, but yeah, you should share your thoughts"
In response to Reply # 5

i liked your post yesterday and i know you think about things, and i like hearing about what people think about this type of thing

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:02 PM

6. "create artificial intelligence & the will eventually try to exterminate ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "you got a lot going on in that OP"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-29-15 12:10 PM by Selah

there are quite a few problematic assertions that result in leading questions

then other questions don't directly relate to the main topic

its a lot to unpack

to the main point though.....

there is the viability of AI as a moral, techological, and social construct

then there is the where or not its actually even POSSIBLE

all THAT is a lot to try and chew on here....perhaps as a recommendation....you could focus the discussion a bit narrower?

specifically related to MY thoughts:

after 24 years as a computer scientist/engineer I think we are a long way from actually pulling it off and therefore it becomes somewhat of a moot discussion beyond the philosophical aspects

in THAT regard (the philosophical), just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. I land there because of the often unasked (and even more rarely unanswered) question: what's the WORST that could happen - do we want that?

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:09 PM

10. "sorry, i just blurt out my thoughts"
In response to Reply # 8

and if anything catches your eye, deconstruct or shut it down, that's kind of how i approach posting on here, there is no rhyme or reason, just a stream of consciousness

i am not sure if its possible either, but you can never underestimate the human being

i think in many ways, we are already a form of artificial intelligence as our bodies are clearly mechanical and our brains work with electrical impulses, etc.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "explain more of what you think makes us artificial intelligence"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri May-29-15 12:30 PM by Selah

if ours is artificial, what is "real"

(and there is no need for apologies. i was just sayin...)

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:30 PM

12. "For one, our bodies in contrast to wildlife"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri May-29-15 12:55 PM by initiationofplato

If you ever get a chance to go on an African safari or into a jungle, or even if you choose to explore the wildlife in the Ocean, you will find that everything in the wild is packed with muscle, sharp teeth, talons, and the ability to survive against odds human beings would crumble under.

Many species of wildlife lay eggs, give birth, and the young fend for themselves. In contrast, human beings are physically weak, vulnerable, and basically useless until adolescence. Our strongest muscle is our brain, and it has allowed us to gain dominance over the planet but we are still highly dependent on artificial means to an artificial life. For example, our communication right now is dependent on technology neither of us would be able to reconstruct alone (nuclear reactors, networked computers, cables, etc.) and we are essentially operating in an artificial hyper reality as we communicate (the internet).

Also, our effect on this planet can be argued to be "unnatural". We are the one species that threatens the very survival of all other species and the planet itself. All living things on this planet live in equilibrium with it and never threaten the respective ecosystem, and we have the ability to drive all species into extinction if our methods do not go unchecked. We are literally changing the climate of this planet and there is no other species on this Earth that can do that, and that seems somewhat "artificial" and "foreign" to me. Why don't we at least fit into the natural equilibrium like other species do?

Also, we are approaching an age where our bodies are becoming modular. We can already 3d print organs. Think about the profundity of that. If your kidney fails, there will be a time where you can print a new one. Kind of like replacing a broken screen or keypad in a gadget. Also, people are working around the clock to upload our consciousness on to the net to live immortal boundless lives. They are called Futurists.

Is it conceivable that we have already accomplished all these things and are now living in a hyper reality we constructed? If that is what we are striving for now, is it possible that it is a semblance of something we have already done and are experiencing right now? There is a growing body of evidence which suggests our universe is a hologram, check this out:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/there-is-growing-evidence-that-our-universe-is-a-giant-hologram

In conclusion:

1. Our bodies do not fit the environment safely/stand no chance in the environment without help/artificial aid other forms of life do not have access to.
2. Our lives here are completely artificial on artificial planes (concrete and the internet).
3. We do not live in equilibrium with the planet and are changing its dynamic in profound ways.
4. We are striving to become completely modular with artificial means.
5. We are seeking immortality through completely artificial means.
6. We are discovering that we may already be in a holographic universe.

The question about what is real is a puzzling one as even the most skeptical physicists will be unable to answer that because quantum theory/reality rivals all logic and reason.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-29-15 01:01 PM

13. "considering that we have yet to master natural intelligence ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I am highly wary...

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri May-29-15 01:08 PM

15. "Reminds me of the old X man cartoon with the sentinals "
In response to Reply # 13

They have this one master robot built to destroy all mutants. Before it goes on it cliched rampage against all mankind its creator says to it "your only to hunt mutants not humans" and the machine says "mutants are humans".

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri May-29-15 01:03 PM

14. "It's a mixed bag"
In response to Reply # 0

On the one hand you could have intelligent systems running trains, highway traffic, airplanes (which they say is coming very soon), and so on. An airtight system could respond faster and make crittical decisions without emotions like fear, hesitation, etc.

Unfortunately many human beings would resist any change of that nature, but would likely in time become comfortable with the concept.

The bigger problem is that ultimately flawed people create flawed systems so whatever errors or catastrophes happen as a result of faulty AI would perhaps result in zero accountability.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Lobby General Discussion topic #12817455 Previous topic | Next topic