Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12814818

Subject: "Violence up in Baltimore; 29 Shot, 9 Dead Just Over the Weekend Holiday " Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Violence up in Baltimore; 29 Shot, 9 Dead Just Over the Weekend Holiday "

What in the HELL is going on? 33 people Kill in May alone

Violence Spikes in Baltimore; 29 Shot, 9 Dead Just Over the Weekend Holiday (UPDATED)
by Josh Feldman | 3:06 pm, May 25th, 2015

http://www.mediaite.com/online/violence-spikes-in-baltimore-28-shot-7-dead-just-over-the-weekend/

Violence has seen a bit of a spike in Baltimore over the past few days, with reports of multiple shootings over Memorial Day weekend alone.

CNN reported earlier today that since Friday, 28 people have been shot in Baltimore, and 7 of them died, in a series of shooting incidents chronicled by the police. In addition, a total of 33 people have been killed in Baltimore this month alone.

Baltimore broke out in violence weeks ago, after Freddie Gray died in police custody, but in the following weeks, the anger had subsided, especially following the indictment of the six officers involved.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake spoke about how “disheartening” it’s been to see this kind of setback in the community.

An anonymous Baltimore cop was on CNN last Friday, saying that police morale is “in the sewers” and there is a police slowdown of sorts going on.

Watch CNN’s report here: See LINK Above

"Jesus is my Lord and Savior. And if you believe in him, he can be your's too."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
WE WIN!!! 12 dead....43 wounded
May 26th 2015
Come on DVS... But what's up with the Public Outrage and media Coverage
May 26th 2015
Don't nobody give a fuck about this shit, Joe
May 26th 2015
      Man, there has to be a breaking point that moves towards change
May 26th 2015
           Haven't you read the Bible? People groups disappear sometimes.
May 27th 2015
chicago is huge. Baltimore ain't that big...
May 26th 2015
      this ain't all of Chicago
May 26th 2015
no snark, i thought Bmore was always like this? Is it a spike or a retur...
May 26th 2015
Yes
May 26th 2015
Turf war with the drugs taken from the CVS
May 26th 2015
please don't believe that lol
May 26th 2015
      What's behind it? Seems plausible.
May 26th 2015
           same group/organization that's been behind things for a minute...
May 26th 2015
Where are all the Crips, Bloods, BGF members to protect the people?
May 26th 2015
Alright Ann Coulter
May 26th 2015
      Oh, now we are going to play the old Republican card
May 26th 2015
           Nothing Repub abt it. It's just a snarky sarcastic thing Coulter would s...
May 26th 2015
                Nah, it's the truth. The question should be asked.
May 26th 2015
                     something Coulter would also say
May 27th 2015
                          Right. lol
May 27th 2015
Diddy was right all along.
May 26th 2015
The result of white racism/supremacy (c) OKPs
May 26th 2015
Not just any White racism, but White Democrat progressive liberal racism...
Jun 01st 2015
Why don't you take your ministry up there and preach to the thugs?
May 26th 2015
Thugs???? Really?
May 26th 2015
      And go do what? I'm a heathen too.
May 26th 2015
           Heathen? What's that?
May 26th 2015
Jamal Bryant wants to be a leader, this is the opportunity to do it
May 26th 2015
Rev. Jamal Bryant has been out there doing, being, and showing
May 26th 2015
He's seizing his opportunity...but now he's bringing Iyanla
May 27th 2015
      Why are people mad about Iyanla?
May 27th 2015
           she gives off an exploitative,opportunist type vibe. as do many national
May 27th 2015
                People confuse platform with opportunist.
May 27th 2015
                     but she is being an opportunist
May 29th 2015
Journalist think this activity is a joke....
May 27th 2015
That headline is awful and so are some of the online comments,
May 27th 2015
It might be Blue "flu", it might be a turf war, it might be something el...
May 27th 2015
this is just the tip of the iceberg. Its getting hot and folks die in th...
May 27th 2015
happens every year. but it feels different this year. not sure why
May 27th 2015
this is a very bad way to look at things
May 27th 2015
How?
May 27th 2015
imo, I think the logic is that
May 27th 2015
how you figure?
May 27th 2015
i feel like as a ppl, we cant have it both ways
May 27th 2015
      why can't i have it both ways if it exists both ways?
May 27th 2015
           uh... the whole 2nd paragraph addresses this
May 27th 2015
                RE: uh... the whole 2nd paragraph addresses this
May 27th 2015
But the Police are turning a blind eye
May 27th 2015
      i'm not fully committed to that theory. it's extreme. i think it's more
May 27th 2015
           the police are postin youtube clips of potential suspects from them
May 27th 2015
           RE: Batts
May 27th 2015
                i got a homeboy that's in the National Guard who was side by side
May 27th 2015
                     Baltimore doesn't need career politicians connected with the old regime
May 27th 2015
                          i definitely agree...and that was my pt...plus...there are a BUNCH
May 27th 2015
                               helen holton been racking up frequent traveler points. she be everywhere
May 27th 2015
           I think the police feel like their hands are tied.
May 27th 2015
                no excuse, we face these same issues
May 27th 2015
                     I'm not making an excuse, but I'm giving a possible reason.
May 27th 2015
were they ever doing a good job of that though?
May 27th 2015
      re: it's always been too few and far between
May 27th 2015
when the sun comes out the gun comes out (c)
May 27th 2015
NSA right down the road. probably listening to everything everybody says
May 27th 2015
they already been on that before the riots...it's called Stingray
May 27th 2015
most shooters know better than to yap on the phone though
May 27th 2015
      the best info is coming from the girlfriend/cousin/neighbor of the shoot...
May 27th 2015
bmore folk: dealing with the psychological trauma of....
May 27th 2015
that's just reality for males that grow up here...it's a mentality
May 27th 2015
i wish it were just a mentality
May 27th 2015
      The social gravity of the environment is what crushes hope.
May 28th 2015
Only parents or parental figures can reach children
May 27th 2015
Too bad the problem might be the parents or the lack thereof.
May 27th 2015
ya, i dont believe this
May 27th 2015
fatalism
May 29th 2015
      yea, i've heard this already
Jun 03rd 2015
Over 100 shootings and 42 (and counting) homicides. Deadliest month
May 31st 2015
i read in this morning's Sun that the number was 40. so 2 more people
May 31st 2015
nihilism.
May 31st 2015
heard gunshots last night :o(
Jun 03rd 2015
i hate to say this but,
Jun 03rd 2015

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "WE WIN!!! 12 dead....43 wounded"
In response to Reply # 0

Step yo' game up Baltimore.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/71/630462/police-17-shot-2-fatally-bloody-start-memorial-day-weekend

Twelve people were killed and at least 43 — including a 4-year-old girl — were wounded in shootings across Chicago this Memorial Day weekend, police said.

The 4-year-old, identified by her family as Jacele Johnson, was shot about 8 p.m. Friday in the West Englewood neighborhood. She and her 17-year-old cousin Romare Wilson were inside an SUV in the 7000 block of South Justine when another vehicle pulled up and someone inside opened fire, according to their family and Chicago Police.

The girl was shot in the head and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in critical condition, authorities said. She has since been upgraded to fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman said Monday morning.

The teen was shot in the chest and grazed by a bullet in the neck. He was in serious condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. A 15-year-old girl standing on a sidewalk nearby was shot in the forehead and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where her condition stabilized, police said.

Chicago Weekend Shooting Tracker for Memorial Day Weekend

The weekend’s most recent fatal shooting happened Monday night in the Austin neighborhood on the West Side, police said. About 7:50 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the back and the leg in the 4900 block of West Erie, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died. The Cook County medical examiner’s office could not confirm the death Monday night.

About 5:25 p.m., a 19-year-old man was shot in the back in the 0-100 block of East 36th Place, less than two blocks south of Chicago Police headquarters. The man was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he died, police said. The medical examiner’s office could not confirm the death Monday night.

A 29-year-old man died after he was shot Monday afternoon in the Irving Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side, police said. He was shot about 2:30 p.m. in the 4100 block of North Hamlin. He was sitting passenger in a vehicle when another vehicle pulled up, and someone inside got out and fired shots, police said.

The man was shot multiple times in the upper torso and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he later died, police said. The medical examiner’s office could not confirm the death Monday night.

Two teen boys were shot — one fatally — in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the South Side on Sunday night.

The boys, 14 and 15, were outside in the 4400 block of South Cottage Grove about 8:15 p.m. when someone fired shots from a light-colored sedan, police said. Emergency crews found the older boy unresponsive in an alley with a gunshot wound in his back.

Raheem Dameron, 15, of the 5600 block of South Justine, was pronounced dead at the scene, the medical examiner’s office said. The younger boy was shot in the foot and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where his condition stabilized. Police said the 15-year-old had documented gang ties.

On Sunday afternoon, a 20-year-old man was fatally shot in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side. He was driving in the 3300 block of West Division about 4 p.m. when a dark-colored SUV pulled up and someone inside fired shots, police said. He was shot in the chest and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died, police said.

Less than an hour earlier, a man was killed in a drive-by shooting in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side.

About 3:20 p.m., LaSean Barnes, 38, was in the 3200 block of West Maypole when someone fired shots from a passing beige conversion van, authorities said. The van then drove off east on Maypole.

Barnes, of the 3000 block of West Polk, was shot in the right side of his abdomen and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5:25 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said.

Early Sunday morning, a woman died in a shooting which injured two others at a party in West Englewood. About 12:45 a.m., four people were denied entry to a party in the 6100 block of South Honore, police said. The four males then surrounded the party and opened fire, striking three people outside, including Deja Atwood, 29, authorities said. She was shot in the chest and leg and taken to Holy Cross Hospital, where she died.

A 39-year-old man shot in the chest was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition, and a 25-year-old man shot in the arm was taken to Holy Cross, where his condition stabilized, police said.

Minutes earlier, one man was killed and another wounded in a shooting in South Shore. They were standing on the sidewalk in the 7900 block of South East End Avenue at 12:27 a.m. when a gunman fired shots, police said. One of them, age 32, was shot in the neck and taken to Jackson Park Hospital and Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said. Another man, whose age was not available, was shot in the buttocks and went to Jackson Park Hospital, where his condition stabilized.

About 11:45 p.m. Saturday, a man was found shot to death in an alley in the Albany Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side. Daniel Rivera, 27, was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound to his face in an alley in the 4700 block of North Albany, authorities said.

Rivera, who lived in the 7200 block of North Damen, was pronounced dead at the scene, the medical examiner’s office said.

Earlier Saturday afternoon, a 24-year-old man was found fatally shot in the West Side Austin neighborhood. Charlie R. Weathers had a gunshot wound to the head when officers found him about 12:45 p.m. in the 0-100 block of North Laramie, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.

Weathers, of the 5000 block of West West End Avenue, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2:01 p.m., authorities said.

Early Saturday morning, a 20-year-old man was found shot to death in University Village, police said.

Officers responding to the 1000 block of West 14th Place about 2:10 a.m. found the man unresponsive with multiple gunshot wounds, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The holiday weekend’s first fatal shooting happened about 1:45 a.m. Saturday in Wicker Park. Carlos F. Marino, 34, was sitting on the front porch of a home with two other people in the 1700 block of West Pierce when someone walked up and opened fire, authorities said.

Marino, who lived in the same block as the shooting, was struck in the chest and shoulder and taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2:34 a.m., authorities said.

The most recent nonfatal shooting left a woman with a graze wound to her leg following a domestic dispute with her boyfriend early Tuesday in the Austin neighborhood.

The 47-year-old woman was shot about 2 a.m. by her boyfriend in the 4800 block of West Madison, police said.

She was treated and released at the scene and no one is in custody.

At least 35 others have been shot since Friday night.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:52 PM

2. "Come on DVS... But what's up with the Public Outrage and media Coverage "
In response to Reply # 1

DVS
19730 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:57 PM

5. "Don't nobody give a fuck about this shit, Joe"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue May-26-15 03:58 PM by DVS

Mayor shut down schools sending children through rival gang territory....got them niggaz sharing books in reading class.

Funding for youth centers BEEN 86ed....
Governor Bruce Rauner cut funding so that if you a single mom with a job...you can't even take that shit because he slashed the funding for daycare services....

I'm looking through Cook County Inmate records looking for my cousin so I can put some money on her books.....my nigga.....the amount of young black men sitting there with football numbers that they got when they was like 19 or 20?

I'm talking 30-50 years....not one of them was anything outside of a young black male....

But they don't give no fuck.

And I do...so I soften my pain by cracking jokes 'cause at the end of the day? I'm hiding from them same lost souls.

it is what it is.

D

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:59 PM

8. "Man, there has to be a breaking point that moves towards change"
In response to Reply # 5

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:27 PM

61. "Haven't you read the Bible? People groups disappear sometimes."
In response to Reply # 8

We are no different.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:20 PM

11. "chicago is huge. Baltimore ain't that big..."
In response to Reply # 1

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

DVS
19730 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:52 PM

12. "this ain't all of Chicago"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue May-26-15 04:53 PM by DVS

I guarantee that 99.9% of those shootings took place in 2 or 3 neighborhoods.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:54 PM

3. "no snark, i thought Bmore was always like this? Is it a spike or a retur..."
In response to Reply # 0

to normal? Again, just asking.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Beezo
Charter member
27558 posts
Tue May-26-15 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Yes"
In response to Reply # 3

No snark taken

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:54 PM

4. "Turf war with the drugs taken from the CVS"
In response to Reply # 0

this summer's bout to get hot.

Streets won't let me chill.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:01 PM

9. "please don't believe that lol"
In response to Reply # 4

=======================================
Coolin...

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:19 PM

10. "What's behind it? Seems plausible."
In response to Reply # 9

Looking at the shootings, most are deep in the Western District.

Streets won't let me chill.

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue May-26-15 06:44 PM

22. "same group/organization that's been behind things for a minute..."
In response to Reply # 10

Some of what was portrayed on TV was a smokescreen

And I kept saying as soon as these cameras leave

And I ain't talking bout the boys in blue but they are indirectly mentioned in this post

Coolin...

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:58 PM

6. "Where are all the Crips, Bloods, BGF members to protect the people?"
In response to Reply # 0

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Alright Ann Coulter"
In response to Reply # 6

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:41 PM

16. "Oh, now we are going to play the old Republican card"
In response to Reply # 13

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue May-26-15 06:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "Nothing Repub abt it. It's just a snarky sarcastic thing Coulter would s..."
In response to Reply # 16

Inflammatory, but completely unrelated to anything founded in logic.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 11:11 PM

24. "Nah, it's the truth. The question should be asked."
In response to Reply # 21

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:08 AM

34. "something Coulter would also say"
In response to Reply # 24

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:32 PM

63. "Right. lol"
In response to Reply # 34

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:59 PM

7. "Diddy was right all along."
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:19 PM

14. "The result of white racism/supremacy (c) OKPs"
In response to Reply # 0

>What in the HELL is going on? 33 people Kill in May alone
>
>
>Violence Spikes in Baltimore; 29 Shot, 9 Dead Just Over the
>Weekend Holiday (UPDATED)
>by Josh Feldman | 3:06 pm, May 25th, 2015
>
>http://www.mediaite.com/online/violence-spikes-in-baltimore-28-shot-7-dead-just-over-the-weekend/
>
>Violence has seen a bit of a spike in Baltimore over the past
>few days, with reports of multiple shootings over Memorial Day
>weekend alone.
>
>CNN reported earlier today that since Friday, 28 people have
>been shot in Baltimore, and 7 of them died, in a series of
>shooting incidents chronicled by the police. In addition, a
>total of 33 people have been killed in Baltimore this month
>alone.
>
>Baltimore broke out in violence weeks ago, after Freddie Gray
>died in police custody, but in the following weeks, the anger
>had subsided, especially following the indictment of the six
>officers involved.
>
>Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake spoke about how
>“disheartening” it’s been to see this kind of setback in
>the community.
>
>An anonymous Baltimore cop was on CNN last Friday, saying that
>police morale is “in the sewers” and there is a police
>slowdown of sorts going on.
>
>Watch CNN’s report here: See LINK Above
>
>
>.
>.
>"Jesus is my Lord and Savior. And if you believe in him, he
>can be your's too."

grassrootsphilosopher

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 04:06 PM

76. "Not just any White racism, but White Democrat progressive liberal racism..."
In response to Reply # 14

51 years and counting.

SimplyHannah
Member since Aug 09th 2009
7226 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:23 PM

15. "Why don't you take your ministry up there and preach to the thugs?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cause they might need it.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:42 PM

17. "Thugs???? Really?"
In response to Reply # 15
Tue May-26-15 05:55 PM by Case_One

But you can Get On The Bus and go.

SimplyHannah
Member since Aug 09th 2009
7226 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:51 PM

18. "And go do what? I'm a heathen too."
In response to Reply # 17

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:55 PM

20. "Heathen? What's that?"
In response to Reply # 18

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:55 PM

19. "Jamal Bryant wants to be a leader, this is the opportunity to do it"
In response to Reply # 0

He should be organizing men. Black men to be on the hit spots talking to the youngsters everyday and every night, trying to make them understand how what they are doing is hurting their movement

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-26-15 11:12 PM

25. "Rev. Jamal Bryant has been out there doing, being, and showing"
In response to Reply # 19

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:44 AM

28. "He's seizing his opportunity...but now he's bringing Iyanla"
In response to Reply # 19

and folks are mad.

------------------
One Hundred.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:48 AM

30. "Why are people mad about Iyanla?"
In response to Reply # 28

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:06 AM

33. "she gives off an exploitative,opportunist type vibe. as do many national"
In response to Reply # 30

public figures...

i'm cool with anybody doing anything that can possibly help. there's no one mythical savior. it's alot wrong so it'll take alot to fix it...

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:02 PM

60. "People confuse platform with opportunist. "
In response to Reply # 33

And it's always the Black People that scream the loudest and ain't got a stool to stand on.

bleekgilliam_420
Charter member
7357 posts
Fri May-29-15 11:32 AM

71. "but she is being an opportunist"
In response to Reply # 60

why is waiting til now to fix Baltimore when they have been problems before now. and if she really thinks she can fix the city, so should run for mayor, not this.
now, if she was going and do outreach work, by all means do that, but that fixing shit is taking it overboard.

viagramakesmeimpotent
Charter member
4420 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:21 AM

26. "Journalist think this activity is a joke...."
In response to Reply # 0

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/05/18/detroit-was-safer-than-chicago-this-weekend/

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:12 AM

27. "That headline is awful and so are some of the online comments,"
In response to Reply # 26

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:46 AM

29. "It might be Blue "flu", it might be a turf war, it might be something el..."
In response to Reply # 0

We are just trying to keep our babies safe.

------------------
One Hundred.

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:59 AM

31. "this is just the tip of the iceberg. Its getting hot and folks die in th..."
In response to Reply # 0

summer.

it's a scientific fact

I got the number doubling by August

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:04 AM

32. "happens every year. but it feels different this year. not sure why"
In response to Reply # 31

i'm kind of in conspiracy theory mode and i'm thinking that maybe the police aren't doing everything they can to curb the violence. not completely turning a blind eye to it but just not putting forth their best effort.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "this is a very bad way to look at things"
In response to Reply # 32

>i'm kind of in conspiracy theory mode and i'm thinking that
>maybe the police aren't doing everything they can to curb the
>violence. not completely turning a blind eye to it but just
>not putting forth their best effort.

I'd even say it harms us as a ppl to look at things like that

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Big Kuntry
14866 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:21 AM

36. "How? "
In response to Reply # 35

I'm not tryna bait you or anything just honestly curious why you feel that way

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:34 PM

64. "imo, I think the logic is that"
In response to Reply # 36

if you're blaming the cops turning a blind eye as the reason that all this violence is taking place, then it supports the narrative that "if not for the heavy handed policing of 'those neighborhoods' then 'those people' would be out in the streets killing each other. The cops are juse doing what they have to do to keep people safe"

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:56 AM

37. "how you figure?"

thegodcam
41497 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:26 AM

48. "i feel like as a ppl, we cant have it both ways"
In response to Reply # 37

we cant on one hand, say that the police is corrupted and is systematically victimizing us and that we want them to be held accountable for their acts of brutality towards us.... yet on the other hand, when we harm each other, wanna place the blame on the same institution that we've been saying has acted as our open enemy...

actually we can do that, blame the police for brutalizing us then blame them for allowing us to kill each other... but plz keep in mind that police officers r NOT social workers... their job is to ENFORCE the law... when u ask police to stop blk ppl from killing each other, u r in fact asking police to put more blkmen in jail... I just don't think that this is an ideal situation... I think we would reap way more benefit by finding ways to have us stop resolving our conflicts by killing each other and by find ways to get us out of the socio-economic conditions that have us involved in the drug trade.... and that aint coming from the police... that will have to come from community organizers/activists, parents, teachers, etc....

but if u wanna blame police for our fate, i'll throw u a bone and invite u to read a great book I finished about 2 months ago, Ghettoside: A true story of murder in America.... which makes a good case about how the lack of solid murder investigations in certain areas possibly leads to more lawlessness/murders in said areas...

- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 01:00 PM

65. "why can't i have it both ways if it exists both ways? "
In response to Reply # 48

cops gotta do better

AND

the community has to do better

AND not OR...

thegodcam
41497 posts
Wed May-27-15 01:03 PM

66. "uh... the whole 2nd paragraph addresses this"
In response to Reply # 65

- Cory Booker

- Gary Lineker

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 01:09 PM

67. "RE: uh... the whole 2nd paragraph addresses this"
In response to Reply # 66

i blame the police for brutalizing us because they shouldnt. you can enforce the law without brutality. and i blame us for killing each other cuz we shouldnt be doing that.

i also think that there is a huge social aspect to proper policing. cops should spend a good deal of their time talking to people.

if by asking police to enforce the law, a black man gets put in jail for killing another, i'm good with that.

but separately, i have to address the conditions that led that man to kill the other.

when you say " I think we would reap way more benefit by finding ways to have us stop resolving our conflicts by killing each other and by find ways to get us out of the socio-economic conditions that have us involved in the drug trade"

i'm all for that

and you go on to say "that aint coming from the police".

you damn sure right about that.

like you said "... that will have to come from community organizers/activists, parents, teachers, etc...."

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:59 AM

38. "But the Police are turning a blind eye"

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:11 AM

41. "i'm not fully committed to that theory. it's extreme. i think it's more"
In response to Reply # 38

a case of not doing it as well as it could be done.

sometimes there are some stone-cold WHODUNITs. but most of the time, everybody on the block know who shot that man and why. why don't the police know?

and that's the easy part. the hard part is addressing all the contributing factors that created the environment that led to one man shooting the other...

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:16 AM

42. "the police are postin youtube clips of potential suspects from them"
In response to Reply # 41

cameras every other day

i wouldn't say they are sittin back lettin shit pop off....

because aint much they can do to prevent it unless they know who next on the list...and the ones they do snatch up start rattin

they can roll around...post up on this corner an that one
but if someone wants to take somebody out...it aint hard to do here...

Now they(the police) do have severe beef with Batts....
he is utterly clueless

Coolin...

Big Kuntry
14866 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:21 AM

44. "RE: Batts"
In response to Reply # 42
Wed May-27-15 10:22 AM by Big Kuntry

I saw that video of the rogue cop in B-More, they HATE that nigga wit a passion.

https://youtu.be/s1fQKsaXr_k

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:26 AM

47. "i got a homeboy that's in the National Guard who was side by side"
In response to Reply # 44

w/ the cops during all the drama

that was the universal theme

Batts and Blake gotta go

and they accussing them of f***in ...not sayin they are or aint but u know....the fact that he got mad domestic abuse issues against him

they HATE dude....

but yeah

plus...damn near all of Blakes criminal justice team are leaving

there's a void that needs to be filled politically and professionally

Coolin...

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:33 AM

49. "Baltimore doesn't need career politicians connected with the old regime"
In response to Reply # 47

or any regime for that matter. it needs young blood. like your man Mosby.

put a better person in the mayor's chair and that person will put a better person in the police chief's chair.

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:45 AM

50. "i definitely agree...and that was my pt...plus...there are a BUNCH"
In response to Reply # 49

on the city council that i aint seen or heard on not one issue since this stuff been goin down

where are half the people on this list?
http://www.baltimorecitycouncil.com/members.htm

or this one
http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/html/gacobcit.html

they just collecting checks and prolly never show up at meetings

and that's our faults for not holding them accountable

Coolin...

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:50 AM

53. "helen holton been racking up frequent traveler points. she be everywhere"
In response to Reply # 50

EXCEPT Baltimore. all on the tax payer dime.

ain't like she comes back with a new program to implement or some type of status report showing what was gained from the trip...

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:21 AM

45. "I think the police feel like their hands are tied."
In response to Reply # 41

For one, people are monitoring them with cameras like never before. Two, the police don't feel like the Mayor and the city government has your back. Three, the police are not trained to engage people properly and they may feel inadequate in dealing with issues.

Big Kuntry
14866 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:24 AM

46. "no excuse, we face these same issues "
In response to Reply # 45

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:52 AM

55. "I'm not making an excuse, but I'm giving a possible reason. "
In response to Reply # 46

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:01 AM

39. "were they ever doing a good job of that though?"
In response to Reply # 32

it's a rare police officer with his ear to the streets like that

it's always been too few and far between

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:08 AM

40. "re: it's always been too few and far between"
In response to Reply # 39

i think what's missing is that consistency. stop turning it on and off.

you ever see a certain crime on tv and say to yourself "oh, they gonna catch whoever behind this. i give it 3, 4 days tops".

then you watch it play out and the person gets caught. when that happens, i think it's an example of police using the intelligence they have and tapping into that information system and having a positive affect on crime.

it shows they're capable of policing effectively. just gotta do it consistently.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10137 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:51 AM

54. "when the sun comes out the gun comes out (c)"
In response to Reply # 31

that shit is real tho.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:20 AM

43. "NSA right down the road. probably listening to everything everybody says"
In response to Reply # 0

everybody in the hood got a cell. those that can't afford the bill get free phones with limited plans. anybody doin dirt trying to conceal it is buying throwaways often.

with that said...

since they've already trampled on our privacy rights, why not use the info that's being gathered to police more effectively?

once one guy shoots another, use the info you got to lock up the shooter.

and then go beyond that and use the data you're collecting to get there before the trigger is pulled and prevent it. if possible.

that'll take money but you make money appear for things you want to happen.

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:47 AM

52. "they already been on that before the riots...it's called Stingray"
In response to Reply # 43

Coolin...

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:54 AM

56. "most shooters know better than to yap on the phone though"
In response to Reply # 43

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed May-27-15 11:36 AM

58. "the best info is coming from the girlfriend/cousin/neighbor of the shoot..."
In response to Reply # 56

you right, ain't gonna be too many confessions. but plenty of people close to the shooter yack about it.

there was this guy they were looking for one time. the police called him public enemy #1. i was on the subway one day and i overhead a few people talking about it. somebody say "they not gonna find him, that nigga down south".

turn on the news maybe a week later and they found the dude in Alabama somewhere.

my thinking is that the streets usually know who did what and why. and they talk. anybody listening can get alotta info cuz people love to yap about stuff...

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:46 AM

51. "bmore folk: dealing with the psychological trauma of...."
In response to Reply # 0

not to go all social-worker on y'all

but i started mentoring this kid from dunbar high school
he's pretty smart, but his grades and attitude to school/life really do not reflect this
i'm definitely coming from a completely different mind-set so
its hard for me to understand an attitude of 'i dont care, life is not guaranteed. school is pointless <-- this breaks my drph heart'
at that time, i felt it was moreso because there had been six (i think) murders around monument
and so it was just an entire conversation about how life is not worth shit.
its one person, i know... but it makes me wonder how many young people look around their neighbourhood
and their conclusion is what's the point
and when the school system really sucks its even hard to 'find' examples of academic success

so how does one deal with this- from a micro level, im not trying to change an entire neighbourhood
but i would love to see more bmore city kids getting into hopkins.
and i would like to be able to have a conversation in which i feel i can address some of this,
instead of sitting there being like wtf, kid?

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:58 AM

57. "that's just reality for males that grow up here...it's a mentality"
In response to Reply # 51

and Dunbar is a decent school...hell one of the better schools...i personally have a vendetta against their football team but i'll stay on topic lol

but yeah...it's just a mentality...exposure helps...alot...taking them to visit the colleges and see what life can be like

words don't mean much

Morgan right up the street and its a TOTALLY different world on that campus than it is outside of it...
same with hopkins and the like

but exposure and realistic pathways can help turn someone on the fence

Coolin...

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed May-27-15 11:55 AM

59. "i wish it were just a mentality"
In response to Reply # 57

>but yeah...it's just a mentality...exposure
>helps...alot...taking them to visit the colleges and see what
>life can be like
>
>words don't mean much

instead of it translating in poor grades
its kind of hard to be like, the decisions you are making today
will have consequences in the future
and then have someone turn around and be like, the future is not guaranteed,
i mean, wtf?

>Morgan right up the street and its a TOTALLY different world
>on that campus than it is outside of it...
>same with hopkins and the like

havent been to morgan state (i should).
i do think hopkins would be hard because there is so little support (i feel- at least in the school of public health where im at)
and i live by the undergrad campus and i can tell it sucks (such a dead campus)

so, maybe we'll explore morgan state.

thanks.

i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Thu May-28-15 11:28 PM

70. "The social gravity of the environment is what crushes hope. "
In response to Reply # 59

Youth in these schools get exposed to all kinds of programs and such...but its what they have to deal with when they leave school...

------------------
One Hundred.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:29 PM

62. "Only parents or parental figures can reach children"

So if the community isn't uniting for better things then the children are lost.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Wed May-27-15 04:26 PM

68. "Too bad the problem might be the parents or the lack thereof."
In response to Reply # 62

I wouldn't be surprised if the people responsible for the shootings came from broken families.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed May-27-15 05:12 PM

69. "ya, i dont believe this"
In response to Reply # 62

>Only parents or parental figures can reach children

LittleTortilla
Charter member
25462 posts
Fri May-29-15 12:50 PM

72. "fatalism"

So if everywhere you go you are told "you are lucky to live until 18" then why should you be thinking long term?

I've been discussing trauma as it relates to neighborhood violence. Even if you haven't been personally affected and you home life is stable. If the neighborhood is violent then you are still going through trauma. So our interventions need to take this into account.

Congrats on the DrPh! Maybe I will want one someday. I doubt it, lol.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 10:20 AM

78. "yea, i've heard this already"
In response to Reply # 72

>So if everywhere you go you are told "you are lucky to live
>until 18" then why should you be thinking long term?

its really very sad,
im tutoring this kid tomorrow and he hasnt been seen in school for a week
plus he's failing math and english (how does one fail the only language they know?)

>I've been discussing trauma as it relates to neighborhood
>violence. Even if you haven't been personally affected and you
>home life is stable. If the neighborhood is violent then you
>are still going through trauma. So our interventions need to
>take this into account.

this is so true. i wish i knew how to address this- i mean this should make someone want to leave
and the best way to leave is go away to college.

>Congrats on the DrPh! Maybe I will want one someday. I doubt
>it, lol.

thanks!! you should (just dont come to hopkins. i dont have much good to say about this school)
we definitely need more female doctorates!

Mignight Maruder
Member since Nov 30th 2003
7715 posts
Sun May-31-15 01:10 PM

73. "Over 100 shootings and 42 (and counting) homicides. Deadliest month"
In response to Reply # 0

In over 25 years and back then there were at least 100,000+ more people in the city. To put things in perspective, NYC has about a dozen or so less homicdes this month and the city has 14 times as many people. Boston, which has more people, probably won't see these numbers for the entire year.

I can't really speak on the cops, but the administration (Blake, Batts, and Mosby) royally fucked this situation up and have done a terrible job of trying bring peace to city. I genuinely hope this doesn't spiral too far out of control.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Sun May-31-15 01:26 PM

74. "i read in this morning's Sun that the number was 40. so 2 more people"
In response to Reply # 73

got murdered from the time the paper went to print to now...

damn

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun May-31-15 01:29 PM

75. "nihilism."
In response to Reply # 0

literally concerned with today. this minute. right now. idgaf abt you, your family, anybody else...shit idgaf abt ME. so i damn sure dont gaf abt you. none of this shit matters. in fact...nothing matters so im going to just do whatever for the time being shit comes up & wait to die.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 08:20 AM

77. "heard gunshots last night :o("
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-03-15 08:20 AM by akon

not sure what neighbourhood that was coming from.

pretty saddened by this :o(
cause all i kept thinking was that's probably some young bodies.

what's happening b'more?

Sha
Member since Mar 25th 2004
68452 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 01:55 PM

79. "i hate to say this but, "
In response to Reply # 77

this is typical summer behavior in the city.

last year about this time there was a spike in crimes and homicide.
it's just that we're fresh off riots and protests, so the microscope is on us.

coupled with the fact that some cops are saying they're afraid to do their job because they don't want to be prosecuted. Ummmm. There's a way to protect and serve and not kill people.

I also feel that some in the BCPD will try to use this platform for something other than constructive. I mean shit more than half the force is bleeding the citizens dry in overtime but, yet there's this spike in crime. Where they do that at?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12814818 Previous topic | Next topic