Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12803604

Subject: "Ohio Man Dies After Sheriff Body Slams Him" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Wed May-13-15 10:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ohio Man Dies After Sheriff Body Slams Him"
Wed May-13-15 10:29 AM by WarriorPoet415

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/05/13/video-ohio-sheriffs-deputy-body-slammed-drunk-man-before-he-died/?tid=hp_mm&hpid=z4

Judging from the video, it’s hard to imagine a less threatening figure than David Levi Dehmann in his last moments. When Mount Vernon, Ohio, police first came into contact with him on April 21, Dehmann, was reportedly drunk, half-naked and lying on a stranger’s patio next to a pool of his own vomit. When cops arrested the 33-year-old a couple of hours later, he could barely stand. Knox County Sheriff’s deputies had to help Dehmann out of the car and into the local jail. His pants were falling down.

Inside the jail, Dehmann smiled while speaking to deputies as they stripped him of his shoes and sunglasses. When an officer removed his handcuffs, Dehmann patted the deputy on the shoulder, then tried to hug him.

Somehow, the shoe-less drunkard doling out hugs would suddenly become a threat in the eyes of his jailers, however. As deputies led Dehmann to his cell, a scuffle suddenly broke out. Dehmann tried to hit an officer in the face, “causing Deputy Wright to place Mr. Dehmann into a takedown hold, taking him to the ground to get control of him.”

“Once control was gained, it was found that Mr. Dehmann had hit his head on the floor during the incident,” deputies wrote in a report.

Paramedics put a neck brace on Dehmann and sent him to a hospital on a stretcher.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Roid Rage
May 13th 2015
Yeah, some of these guys are just looking to unload
May 13th 2015
      the story I read stated this was a special needs adult (autism?)
May 13th 2015
           They get it just as bad, if not worse
May 13th 2015
Dear White People...
May 13th 2015

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Wed May-13-15 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Roid Rage"
In response to Reply # 0

To me, it seems like the overarching theme, in these deaths by Police and other law enforcement members, is a sudden lack of emotional control after perceived disrespect. Though claims may be made for momentary fear of personal safety, a lot of the video evidence shows differently. Putting someone in their place shows to be more important than de-escalating situations.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Wed May-13-15 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yeah, some of these guys are just looking to unload "
In response to Reply # 1

I'd say the victim made a move that could be construed as threatening but with all those other officers around, that one cop didn't have to hit him with the "Rock Bottom" to get him under control.

But the prosecutor or grand jury could look at this and say "Well he did make a threatening move.... and that tackle IS allowed. So if the officer felt it was necessary, there's no foul."

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed May-13-15 01:17 PM

4. "the story I read stated this was a special needs adult (autism?)"
In response to Reply # 2

who was familiar with the PD

and arrested earlier in the day and released for drunkedness I believe

not really pertinent to your reply

but I just wanted to add that to the story.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Wed May-13-15 01:29 PM

5. "They get it just as bad, if not worse"
In response to Reply # 4

>who was familiar with the PD
>
>and arrested earlier in the day and released for drunkedness I
>believe
>
>not really pertinent to your reply
>
>but I just wanted to add that to the story.

Policemen killed a special needs adult in a movie theater a couple years ago in Frederick, MD for trying to see a movie again. His handler told the officers that he'd get riled up if they touched him so just let him be for a minute and he'd leave on his own.

They said nope, tried to remove him, he started resisting, they violently removed and arrested him and he ended up dying of asphyxia while in handcuffs on the ground.

Just a little patience could've gone a loooooong way.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed May-13-15 01:13 PM

3. "Dear White People..."
In response to Reply # 0

this story popped up in my timeline

and I'm directing this at white people

because the popular sentiment to black lives matter was

well it happens to white people too...

...not to digress into that discussion...

but I can't decide if they run with that meme to rationalize/find logic in these situations

i.e., police brutality is okay because they kill white people too

or if it's just some race baiting counter

any way

Dear White People -

Here's your chance

Sincerely

- US

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Lobby General Discussion topic #12803604 Previous topic | Next topic