Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12801450

Subject: "Saudi Arabia says "King" won't attend meetings in U.S. (NYT)" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon May-11-15 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Saudi Arabia says "King" won't attend meetings in U.S. (NYT)"

Saudi Arabia been looking mad sus for a while now. Their involvement in 9/11 is finally being disclosed and will be further understood in coming years, and now they are distancing themselves from the U.S. after Obama had the courage to sound off some sobering words about their insular culture and societal failings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/11/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-king-wont-attend-camp-david-meeting.html?mwrsm=Email&_r=0

WASHINGTON — Saudi Arabia announced on Sunday that its new monarch, King Salman, would not be attending meetings at the White House with President Obama or a summit gathering at Camp David this week, in an apparent signal of its continued displeasure with the administration over United States relations with Iran, its rising regional adversary.

As recently as Friday, the White House said that King Salman would be coming to “resume consultations on a wide range of regional and bilateral issues,” according to Eric Schultz, a White House spokesman.

But on Sunday, the state-run Saudi Press Agency said that the king would instead send Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, the Saudi interior minister, and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the defense minister. The agency said the summit meeting would overlap with a five-day cease-fire in Yemen that is scheduled to start on Tuesday to allow for the delivery of humanitarian aid.

Arab officials said they viewed the king’s failure to attend the meeting as a sign of disappointment with what the White House was willing to offer as reassurance that the United States would back its Arab allies against a rising Iran.

King Salman is expected to call President Obama on Monday to talk about his decision not to attend the summit meeting, a senior administration official said on Sunday.

The official said that when the king met Secretary of State John Kerry in Riyadh last week, he indicated that he was looking forward to coming to the meeting. But on Friday night, after the White House put out a statement saying Mr. Obama would be meeting with King Salman in Washington next week, administration officials received a call from the Saudi foreign minister that the king would not be coming after all.

There was “no expression of disappointment” from the Saudis, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly. “If one wants to snub you, they let you know it in different ways,” the official said.

Another senior administration official said the White House did not believe that King Salman’s absence was because of any disagreement.

Jon Alterman, senior vice president at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said King Salman’s absence was both a blessing and a snub.

“It holds within it a hidden opportunity, because senior U.S. officials will have an unusual opportunity to take the measure of Mohammed bin Salman, the very young Saudi defense minister and deputy crown prince, with whom few have any experience.”

But, Mr. Alterman added: “For the White House though, it sends an unmistakable signal when a close partner essentially says he has better things to do than go to Camp David with the president, just a few days after the White House announced he’d have a private meeting before everything got underway.”

Mr. Kerry met on Friday in Paris with his counterparts from the Arab nations that were invited to the summit meeting — Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Oman — to discuss what they were expecting from the summit meeting, and to signal what the United States was prepared to offer at Camp David.

But administration officials said that the Arab officials had pressed for a defense treaty with the United States pledging to defend them if they came under external attack. But that was always going to be difficult, as such treaties — similar to what the United States has with Japan — must be ratified by Congress.

Instead Mr. Obama is prepared to offer a presidential statement, one administration official said, which is not as binding and which future presidents may not have to honor.

The Arab nations are also angry, officials and experts said, about comments Mr. Obama recently made in an interview with The New York Times, in which he said allies like Saudi Arabia should be worried about internal threats — “populations that, in some cases, are alienated, youth that are underemployed, an ideology that is destructive and nihilistic, and in some cases, just a belief that there are no legitimate political outlets for grievances.”

At a time when American officials were supposed to be reassuring those same countries that the United States would support them, the comments were viewed by officials in the gulf as poorly timed, foreign policy experts said.

In addition, the Arab countries would like to buy more weapons from the United States, but that also faces a big obstacle — maintaining Israel’s military edge. The United States has long put restrictions on the types of weapons that American defense firms can sell to Arab nations, in an effort to ensure that Israel keeps a military advantage against its traditional adversaries in the region.

That is why, for instance, the administration has not allowed Lockheed Martin to sell the F-35 fighter jet, considered to be the jewel of America’s future arsenal, to Arab countries. The plane, the world’s most expensive weapons project, has stealth capabilities and has been approved for sale to Israel.

In Paris on Friday, Mr. Kerry said that the United States and its Arab allies, which constitute the Gulf Cooperation Council, were “fleshing out a series of new commitments that will create between the U.S. and G.C.C. a new security understanding, a new set of security initiatives that will take us beyond anything that we have had before.”

The king is the latest top Arab official who will not be attending the summit meeting for delegations from members of the Gulf Cooperation Council.

The United Arab Emirates is also sending its crown prince to the meetings, the officials said. The Emirati president, Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan, was never expected to attend, because of health reasons, American and Arab officials said. The sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Said al Said, also will not be attending because of health reasons, officials said.

Yousef Al Otaiba, the United Arab Emirates ambassador to the United States, declined to say exactly what his government was pushing for from the United States when he spoke at a conference in Washington on Thursday.

“The last thing I want to say is ‘here’s what we need,’ ” he said at a panel discussion sponsored by the Atlantic Council in Washington. “That’s not the right approach. The approach is, let’s come here, let’s figure out what the problems are, how we can work together to address our needs.”

King Salman’s decision to skip the summit meeting does not mean that the Saudis are giving up on the United States — they do not have many other options, said Karim Sadjadpour, an Iran expert at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. “As upset as the Saudis are, they don’t really have a viable alternative strategic partnership in Moscow or Beijing,” Mr. Sadjadpour said.

But, he added, “there’s a growing perception at the White House that the U.S. and Saudi Arabia are friends but not allies, while the U.S. and Iran are allies but not friends.”
-->

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Israel & Saudia Arabia can play politics all day long
May 11th 2015
Saudi is not subsidised by US taxpayer money
May 11th 2015
      lol I'm sorry let me rephrase
May 11th 2015
           RE: lol I'm sorry let me rephrase
May 11th 2015
                Israel = location location location
May 11th 2015
                I've read this before on here but does it hold up to critical scrutiny?
May 11th 2015
                     what other nations were instrumental in the creation of Israel in...
May 12th 2015
                the who gonna check me attitude is a direct result of being protected
May 11th 2015
My feeling was this was as much about warming to Iran as...
May 11th 2015
RE: My feeling was this was as much about warming to Iran as...
May 11th 2015
...I'm not sure what that contributes to this discussion, but ok.
May 11th 2015
      just information
May 11th 2015
RE: My feeling was this was as much about warming to Iran as...
May 14th 2015
RE: Saudi Arabia says "King" won't attend meetings in U.S.
May 12th 2015
Saudi Arabia claims oil price strategy success
May 14th 2015

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Mon May-11-15 09:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Israel & Saudia Arabia can play politics all day long"
In response to Reply # 0

they're still cashing US Taxpayer funded checks & droppin US Taxpayer funded bombs on civvies

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon May-11-15 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Saudi is not subsidised by US taxpayer money"
In response to Reply # 1

Where did you get that idea?

philpot
21673 posts
Mon May-11-15 09:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "lol I'm sorry let me rephrase "
In response to Reply # 2

then maybe you can't seize on a technicality to undermine my point

US Tax dollars pay for the weapons Saudi Arabia buys & drops on civilians

i'm sure the profit from said transactions is directly returned to the American Taxpayer lol

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: lol I'm sorry let me rephrase "
In response to Reply # 3

I wasn't trying to seize on a technicality.
I just noticed an untruth and couldn't let it slide.

Isreal and Saudi Arabia are both allies of the US but the dynamics of that relationship are very different. Saudi has oil. Isreal has the jewish lobby.

Both do have human rights abuse issues and a "Who gon' check me boo?" attitude about it.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon May-11-15 11:26 AM

7. "Israel = location location location"
In response to Reply # 6

>Isreal has the jewish lobby.

AIPAC money and influence doesn't run deep enough to explain Israel's choice position in USA foreign affairs. i think it's more about Israel's location and willingness to align w/the USA on key diplomatic and military issues where no other player in that region will do so.

fuck you.

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon May-11-15 09:40 PM

11. "I've read this before on here but does it hold up to critical scrutiny?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon May-11-15 09:47 PM by dafriquan

>>Isreal has the jewish lobby.
>
>AIPAC money and influence doesn't run deep enough to explain
>Israel's choice position in USA foreign affairs.
Money. Influence. WW2 Guilt. Political Inertia. Location?
Its a confluence of reasons for sure. I would place location/strategic partnership a few steps lower on the ladder if I had to rate it. When was the last time a president of another country came to the US and dissed the president while being cheered by a room full of elected officials? Location or just a strong ass lobby?

> i think it's
>more about Israel's location and willingness to align w/the
>USA on key diplomatic and military issues where no other
>player in that region will do so.
Keeping in mind that the middle east as a region has seen at least 10 major conflicts since Israel has been in existence as a soveriegn state...
Can you give me some examples from the past 40 years where Israel has been the only regional supporter of a US military initiative?

They key US interest that Israel protects in the Middle East is Israel itself. And by extension the main military issue in that region that the US is most isolated on is the safety of Israel. So saying that the US needs Israel is a bit of a circular argument. The US has allies in the middle east (not named) that do their bidding 9 times of 10 or they are on friendly less "frustrating than Israel" terms with.

I am going off my general knowledge of that area here but I am open to be enlightend.

Ps. I don't knock Israel for manipulating their position. I think its necessary for their survival. The lobby is EVERYTHING.

philpot
21673 posts
Tue May-12-15 12:35 PM

13. "what other nations were instrumental in the creation of Israel in..."
In response to Reply # 11

the first place?

would it be conspiracy speak to wonder if it was "created" with a specific long term intent by those powers that fostered its creation?

philpot
21673 posts
Mon May-11-15 04:07 PM

10. "the who gonna check me attitude is a direct result of being protected"
In response to Reply # 6

by a world superpower

the whole thing about beef with the US is just distractionary politics IMO & will fade to the background during the reign of King Bush III

Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "My feeling was this was as much about warming to Iran as..."
In response to Reply # 0

...what you're talking about.

Not to disqualify your assessment, but other venues speak of it in the context of the ongoing Cold War between the Saudis and Iran, and Yemen as the current proxy battlefield.

philpot
21673 posts
Mon May-11-15 10:57 AM

5. "RE: My feeling was this was as much about warming to Iran as..."
In response to Reply # 4

>Yemen as the current proxy battlefield.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/3/31/un-expresses-alarm-over-civilian-casualties-in-yemen.html

Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Mon May-11-15 12:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "...I'm not sure what that contributes to this discussion, but ok. "
In response to Reply # 5

philpot
21673 posts
Mon May-11-15 04:04 PM

9. "just information"
In response to Reply # 8

i thought your statement about a proxy war was accurate and the human consequences of said war were important for ppl to know about if they don't already

sorry

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu May-14-15 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "RE: My feeling was this was as much about warming to Iran as..."
In response to Reply # 4

>...what you're talking about.
>
>Not to disqualify your assessment, but other venues speak of
>it in the context of the ongoing Cold War between the Saudis
>and Iran, and Yemen as the current proxy battlefield.

I recognize my assessment is controversial. Saud was involved in 9/11 strategically - as was Israel in my estimation (along with willing adherents in our own government), as a geo-strategic travesty to take over the middle-east - and specifically - Iran.

Bush/Clinton will ensure the finality of that if elected.

Time will tell as it always does.

-->

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Tue May-12-15 12:28 PM

12. "RE: Saudi Arabia says "King" won't attend meetings in U.S."
In response to Reply # 0

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu May-14-15 09:26 AM

14. "Saudi Arabia claims oil price strategy success"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/69350a3e-f970-11e4-be7b-00144feab7de.html#axzz3a7fq9l94

Saudi Arabia says its strategy of squeezing high-cost rivals such as US shale producers is succeeding, as the world’s largest crude exporter seeks to reassert itself as the dominant force in the global oil market.

The kingdom’s production rose to a record high of 10.3m barrels a day in April and there is no sign that it plans to reverse its policy at next month’s meeting of Opec, the producers’ cartel, in Vienna.

“There is no doubt about it, the price fall of the last several months has deterred investors away from expensive oil including US shale, deep offshore and heavy oils,” a Saudi official told the Financial Times in Riyadh, giving a rare insight into the kingdom’s thinking on oil strategy.

The International Energy Agency, the world’s leading energy forecaster, on Wednesday released data backing up the Saudi position. The agency said that with the number of rigs running in the US plunging by 60 per cent in response to lower oil prices, US shale oil production had “buckled” in April, “bringing a multiyear winning streak to an apparent close”.
But the IEA also cautioned that it would be “premature” to suggest that Opec had “won the battle for market share”. It said global crude supply was growing, even from high-cost areas such as Brazil, as well as from other Opec member states such as Iran and Iraq.

However, the Saudi official said he expected the kingdom to maintain its dominance of global energy, despite the growth of alternatives to fossil fuels and competition from rival oil producers within Opec and beyond. “Saudi Arabia wants to extend the age of oil,” he said. “We want oil to continue to be used as a major source of energy and we want to be the major producer of that energy.”

The official was speaking nearly six months after Opec, which is led by Saudi Arabia, took its landmark decision to keep output steady in the face of rising supply from rivals, rather than play its traditional role of cutting production to support prices.

The decision triggered a fresh fall in the oil price, throwing the budgets of the poorest exporter countries into disarray and forcing international energy companies to slash spending, drilling and jobs.

Saudi officials later explained that the policy was designed to put pressure on producers that require a higher oil price to be economic such as US shale drillers and companies operating in Brazil’s offshore fields. These they believed would be the first to collapse in a survival of the fittest as prices plunged.
Expectations are already rising that the market could soon start to tighten by midyear. The IEA said on Wednesday that was one of the reasons for the recent rally in the oil price: having crashed from $115 a barrel last June to almost $45 in January, Brent, the international crude benchmark, is now back up at around $68.
Saudi-oil-chart
The Saudi official said the price of oil had now “reached a bottom” and it “doesn’t look like it is going back”.
But experts say it is too soon to say whether Saudi Arabia is succeeding in increasing its market share. Data from 2011-14 show that while its share of imports to India and Japan has grown, in China it has lost out to Opec peers Iran and Iraq.
US shale producers would also disagree that Saudi Arabia has succeeded in squeezing them. The US oil industry has slowed down: but EOG Resources, the country’s largest shale oil producer, has forecast a return to “double-digit” production growth if the US benchmark, West Texas Intermediate, rises to $65 per barrel or higher. It is currently trading at around $61.

The Saudi official admitted “increased efficiencies” were likely as US shale and other producers adjusted to lower prices. He also said the impact of the price rebound was still “unknown” and “there is not yet any clarity on the US supply curve and drivers”.
The comments from Riyadh come with the Saudi oil sector facing deep uncertainty in the wake of sweeping changes to the governance of the oil ministry and the state energy company Saudi Aramco by King Salman, who ascended to the throne in January.
Some oil sector observers in Saudi Arabia say that King Salman’s accession increased pressure on veteran oil minister Ali Al Naimi and the advocates of his oil production strategy to reaffirm their position.

-->

Lobby General Discussion topic #12801450 Previous topic | Next topic