Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12798709

Subject: "Man, that rednoseday bullshit is bumming me out" Previous topic | Next topic
janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed May-06-15 01:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Man, that rednoseday bullshit is bumming me out"

You know about this? Seems like a great cause, or whatever, seems like a good way to raise awareness or whatever, although I don't wait for ice bucket challenges or clown noses to do my part.

But you know if you are swayed by the idea, apparently there's only one place to buy the nose and that's walgreens. And I don't know if you know this but only 50 percent of the revenues from the noses goes to the red nose organization.

This is high in my consciousness now because every time I go into a walgreens I'm asked if I want to buy a red nose "TO CONTRIBUTE TO A CHARITY" and I think this isn't full disclosure. Plus try to find that information on the walgreens website, I dare you. I only know it because I actually looked at the box they thrust at me in the store. It's in tiny print at the bottom.

And all of those corporate sponsors -- you know, buy the product and they give to the organization? Here's a list of how much is donated per product

http://www.walgreens.com/images/pdfs/64047/RND_Donation_Details_2015.pdf

Also, can someone please reassure me that the American Red Cross is a relatively ok place to give money for Nepal assistance? I gave to Seva, which has been on the ground in Nepal for decades, and my firm said they would match donations to the Red Cross and if you donate to another org they would "consider" matching that donation, and they let me know that my donation merited matching --- so they sent a matching amount to the Red Cross.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They've been around for ages here
May 06th 2015

Ted Gee Seal
Member since Apr 18th 2007
10091 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They've been around for ages here"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it has died off somewhat, although you'll still see a massive red nose on a car grill every now and then. More and more of my donation money is happening from word of mouth now. It's like trying to find a good contractor.

Thanks for the heads up about Seva. Might send some money their way. Can't see why your firm can match your Seva donations with money donated to Seva.

Haven't trusted Red Cross for a while. Then again, I still donate my home goods to the Salvation Army and they're no saints.

Just IMO though.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby General Discussion topic #12798709 Previous topic | Next topic