Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12793653

Subject: "Jon Jones stripped of UFC title, Reebok deal (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jon Jones stripped of UFC title, Reebok deal (swipe)"

187 title fight now Rumble v. DC (and Weidman v. Belfort)

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/12783425/jon-jones-stripped-light-heavyweight-title-suspended-ufc

UFC stripped light heavyweight champion Jon Jones of his title Tuesday, one day after he turned himself in to police custody on a felony charge in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Jones, 27, is the first champion in UFC history to be stripped of a title due to disciplinary reasons. UFC officials also announced Tuesday that the promotion has indefinitely suspended Jones and pulled him from a scheduled title defense against Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas.

In addition, Reebok terminated Jones' endorsement contract, effective immediately, Wednesday morning. Jones had lost his deal with Nike after a mutual split in September 2014.

Former title contender Daniel Cormier will replace Jones in the pay-per-view event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena to fight for the now-vacant light heavyweight title.

"He's very disappointed. He's upset. He wanted to go down as one of the greats or the greatest," UFC president Dana White said on "Fox Sports Live" of Jones. "He's disappointed, but it is what it is. It is the decision we had to make.

"For us to go in and have to strip him of his title and suspend him is not fun, but you know what they say: The show must go on."

Johnson echoed those sentiments to ESPN.com on Wednesday.

"I can say that I'm kind of disappointed with the mistake Jon made, but he is human," Johnson said. "I definitely wanted to fight him for the title. He's the best. Everybody wants to fight the best, if you're in this sport for the right reasons."

Jones appeared in Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court on Tuesday for a felony first appearance. Judge Maria Dominguez granted a request made by Jones' attorney, Vincent Ward, to remove any travel restrictions on the fighter, which kept alive the possibility of Jones fighting next month in Las Vegas.

UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, UFC chief operating officer Lawrence Epstein and White flew to Albuquerque to meet with Jones and his representatives Tuesday afternoon. UFC announced Jones had been stripped of the title hours later.

"UFC feels strongly that its athletes must uphold certain standards both in and out of the Octagon," UFC said in a statement. "While there is disappointment in the recent changes, the organization remains supportive of Jones as he works through the legal process."

Widely considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Jones allegedly was involved in a three-car accident Sunday morning. Witnesses said a man fitting Jones' description ran a red light, collided with another vehicle and fled on foot. According to police reports, the man apparently returned to the vehicle to grab a "large handful of cash" before fleeing a second time.

The driver of the car that was struck, a 25-year-old pregnant woman, was taken to the hospital. Police confirmed she suffered a fractured arm and wrist.

Jones did not enter a plea during his court appearance Tuesday. The district attorney has 60 days to determine whether to move forward with the case, according to court spokeswoman Camille Cordova.

After the court hearing, Jones tweeted for the first time since the accident.

In May 2012, Jones was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence after he crashed his Bentley into a telephone pole in Binghamton, New York. Jones pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor DWI charge and avoided jail time.

In early December, Jones tested positive for metabolites of cocaine while training for his bout against Cormier. Jones was allowed to compete because the test was conducted out of competition and beat Cormier via unanimous decision.

When the failed drug test became public after the fight, Jones publicly apologized for a "mistake." He admitted himself to a drug treatment center for one day and underwent outpatient therapy.

Jones had defended the 205-pound title a record eight times since becoming the youngest champion in UFC history in March 2011. He was two defenses away from tying former middleweight champion Anderson Silva's record of 10 consecutive title defenses at any weight division.

Cormier (15-1) will fight for the light heavyweight championship despite coming off a loss in his previous bout. The former U.S. Olympic wrestler challenged Jones for the title at UFC 182 on Jan. 3 in Las Vegas and lost via unanimous decision. Cormier is 4-1 overall in the UFC with two finishes.

"I can't be too disappointed. I have a title fight and a worthy opponent in Daniel Cormier," Johnson told ESPN.com. "I'm happy I get to fight someone like him."

Johnson (19-4) is 3-0 in the UFC light heavyweight division. He fought for the promotion from 2007 to 2012, primarily as a welterweight. The UFC released Johnson in early 2012 for repeatedly missing weight. Fighting out of Boca Raton, Florida, Johnson is on a nine-fight win streak.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What terrible timing for this guy. Established, getting endorsements
Apr 29th 2015
This is his third strike (and his worse) so I'm not surprised
Apr 29th 2015
      Nobody really cared about the coke like that either
Apr 29th 2015
           and he continually swears he doesn't have a problem
Apr 29th 2015
           he's also a raging hypocrite
Apr 29th 2015
                yuuup. I like him as a fighter but he's kind of a dick person
Apr 29th 2015
                     agreed, i would like to see him fight heavy weight
Apr 29th 2015
                     me too. the supposedly off-camera footage of him post-scuffle
Apr 29th 2015
           His next fuck up was gonna be somewhere between Jayson Williams and
Apr 29th 2015
           nah people were pissed about the cocaine
Apr 29th 2015
                I didn't hear any outrage. It was like
Apr 29th 2015
                     the innanets was heated
Apr 30th 2015
be a shit person that doesn't fill folks pockets to the brim
Apr 29th 2015
RE: Jon Jones stripped of UFC title, Reebok deal (swipe)
Apr 29th 2015
Not really cause Cain is coming back in June and Rockhold is about to ge...
Apr 29th 2015
      not sold on cain being a ppv draw.
Apr 29th 2015
           RE: not sold on cain being a ppv draw.
Apr 30th 2015
UFC securing the high ground *jerkoff motion*
Apr 30th 2015
Put a dollar in my pocket, Jon!
Apr 30th 2015

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 12:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What terrible timing for this guy. Established, getting endorsements"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think anybody was surprised though

Very-Effortless
Member since May 07th 2011
7452 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 12:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "This is his third strike (and his worse) so I'm not surprised"
In response to Reply # 1

There was the DUI back in 2012
The coke back in January
Dana White done had enough of Jon Jones fucking with his money

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 12:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Nobody really cared about the coke like that either"
In response to Reply # 3

It was kinda like, "awww whaddaya expect? young man, lots of money, of course he parties"

It's just the conjunction of those three things together,

DUI
Coke
Hit & Run

Like you see where this is going

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "and he continually swears he doesn't have a problem"
In response to Reply # 4

(yeah, he went to rehab last time, for like 6 minutes)

THIS IS WHAT HAVING A PROBLEM IS

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 01:52 PM

7. "he's also a raging hypocrite"
In response to Reply # 5

he had some very strong anti drug stances at the beginning of his career

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "yuuup. I like him as a fighter but he's kind of a dick person"
In response to Reply # 7

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:09 PM

9. "agreed, i would like to see him fight heavy weight "
In response to Reply # 8

eventually

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:37 PM

13. "me too. the supposedly off-camera footage of him post-scuffle"
In response to Reply # 8

with Cormier kind of highlighted the raging dick he had become

Very-Effortless
7452 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 01:24 PM

6. "His next fuck up was gonna be somewhere between Jayson Williams and"
In response to Reply # 4

Aaron Hernandez

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:18 PM

10. "nah people were pissed about the cocaine"
In response to Reply # 4

pissed because he tested positive and nobody said shit about until it leaked after the fight. Like the UFC knew about it and the athletic commission knew about it. But they wanted to keep it hush hush. I think had they came out right away people would have been fine. But they made it look like they had something to hide.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:36 PM

12. "I didn't hear any outrage. It was like"
In response to Reply # 10

OH NO BONES WAS FIGHTING DIRTY

Then it turned out to be coke, not PEDs, and it seemed at that point to turn into a non-story, other than of course that it was up to Jones to then make a public apology to repair his image.

Dana was like "hope the young man gets the help he needs"

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 12:07 AM

16. "the innanets was heated"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu Apr-30-15 12:09 AM by RobOne4

there were a few pissed off writers too. The big reason was because Nate Diaz got popped twice for fighting with THC in his system. The athletic commission vacated his wins. Said its a numbing agent or some bullshit. So fighting with THC is bad but cocaine is okay.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 12:05 PM

2. "be a shit person that doesn't fill folks pockets to the brim"
In response to Reply # 0

thats how floyd gets away w/ it.

<--- Big Baller World Order

COLOR_MONEY
Member since Apr 22nd 2015
57 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:31 PM

11. "RE: Jon Jones stripped of UFC title, Reebok deal (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

well, here comes the never ending push of paper champs like ronda rousey and manlets like connor mcgregor or frankie edgar...

the ufc is in a really bad spot.

Very-Effortless
7452 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:38 PM

14. "Not really cause Cain is coming back in June and Rockhold is about to ge..."
In response to Reply # 11

a title shot.

The middleweight division is incredibly stocked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COLOR_MONEY
Member since Apr 22nd 2015
57 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 03:41 PM

15. "not sold on cain being a ppv draw."
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Apr-29-15 03:45 PM by COLOR_MONEY

after getting KO'd in front of 9 million ppl on free cable tv, i'd think his stock is permanently tainted for a lot of casual fans.

not to mention he's had like 2 fights since.

and i don't even know who luke rockhold is.

silva getting caught using PEDS.
jones, diaz getting caught using rec. drugs and now this for jones...

look at all of their divisions and who jumps off the page as "superstar"?

you think them bringing back rampage/crocop is a coincidence?

shit, i won't be surprised if they have kimo fight don frye or something later this year.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 09:20 AM

19. "RE: not sold on cain being a ppv draw."
In response to Reply # 15

>after getting KO'd in front of 9 million ppl on free cable
>tv, i'd think his stock is permanently tainted for a lot of
>casual fans.
>
>not to mention he's had like 2 fights since.

being KO'd 4 years ago after a significant amount of time out of the cage is not a big deal. Fans understand people do lose and dont expect fighters to go undefeated these days.

Also destroying JDS twice after that loss proves he is a force. Also he fought 4 times after that.

I do agree with the rest of your statement though.

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 12:45 AM

17. "UFC securing the high ground *jerkoff motion*"
In response to Reply # 0

when I come around, they frown
then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 08:50 AM

18. "Put a dollar in my pocket, Jon!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://media.meltybuzz.fr/article-1760104-so/l-avocat-apparait-dans-une-bande-annonce.jpg

))<>((
forever.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12793653 Previous topic | Next topic