Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12791857

Subject: "Talking Cars on Any Day: My Saturn finally died. Time to go shopping" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Talking Cars on Any Day: My Saturn finally died. Time to go shopping"

After 220+k miles, the L200 is likely dead. I have a sneaking suspicion that the timing chain broke. Since this is an interference motor, the insides of the motor are toast. While I'm not really looking forward to a car note of any kind, putting another motor in a 14 year old car isn't a great idea especially since I've already been down that road (replaced the motor when the chain broke almost 3 years ago). It's lead a long life, but now it's time to put her out of her misery.

So, now I've got to find a car and find a loan. Needs to be a mid size family sedan, as a SUV, small or otherwise, isn't the move and a minivan is a bridge too far. Looking for pre owned, as no need to take that depreciation hit if it's not needed. I'm torn between either the Ford Fusion or the Mazda6. If I spec them correctly I can likely keep it between $17 and $20k. The Mazda is a lovely looking and by all accounts lovely driving car, but there aren't many options to be had, and the 17" wheels look a little silly (the 19" is on a higher trim line, and most of those cars I've seen are out of my price range). The Fusion definitely has more bells and whistles, but I'd give those up if I can find one with the 2.0 Ecoboost. Most I've seen so far have a litany of packages, but either the 2.5L or the 1.6L, neither that I really want to settle for if I can help it. Once I get an idea of which car I can call the credit union and my bank and see what kind of offer they can give us before heading to the dealership.

It has to happen pretty quickly, as we definitely need 2 cars. Right now my rental is a Versa Note, which is just too sad to keep riding around in...

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
12-14 Camry SE
Apr 27th 2015
My Saturn died in '13 after 14 years of service. I went to an Accord
Apr 27th 2015
Don't really want a Camry or Accord, for different reasons
Apr 27th 2015
My Mazda 3 has 287K and counting trouble free* miles
Apr 27th 2015
DAMN. that's incredible. you must realy stay on top of it
Apr 28th 2015
      Thanks, do everything myself,
Apr 28th 2015
get your loan from the credit union
Apr 27th 2015
The Fusion is a BEAST Fam
Apr 27th 2015
about to swap out my fusion
Apr 27th 2015
Nice. The 2.0L is what I wanted too
Apr 28th 2015
      like 98% of the time there's no difference
Apr 28th 2015
i dig the styling of cars like the charger & the magnum but
Apr 28th 2015
Accords are dope and Camarys go forever
Apr 28th 2015
I'm a fan of both cars mentioned. can't go wrong with either
Apr 28th 2015
My only concern with the Mazda is this:
Apr 28th 2015
      I've seen tons of people complain about mytouch etc
Apr 28th 2015
      fam, what year Mazda6 you thinking of?
Apr 28th 2015
      I'm not as worried about MFTouch as far as using it goes
Apr 28th 2015
           I think even in the non MFT models you're looking at a similar
Apr 28th 2015
           Diesel?!
Apr 28th 2015
                They actually have an oil burner in Europe, but it won't work here
Apr 28th 2015
                     I have seen no less than 3 previous gen 6 wagons in recent weeks
Apr 29th 2015
You could go late model luxury for your price range
Apr 28th 2015
repairrrr cossssstsssssss
Apr 28th 2015
REPAIR COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $100 oil changes!!!
Apr 28th 2015
      that way be dragons yo. I love my LS, you know that
Apr 28th 2015
Even with my Audi fetish, that's gonna be a negative
Apr 28th 2015
      Are you familiar with Tavarish's work at Jalopnik?
Apr 28th 2015
           dude. electrical. issues.
Apr 28th 2015
           Yeah, I read the article a few weeks ago
Apr 28th 2015
           Great article
Apr 28th 2015
                always some bullshit part with those cars
Apr 29th 2015
Found 2 Fusions online. Now for the financing
Apr 29th 2015

VonClay
Charter member
21865 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 07:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "12-14 Camry SE"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

Instagram: @von_clay

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 07:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "My Saturn died in '13 after 14 years of service. I went to an Accord"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-27-15 07:12 PM by mrhood75

I like it's power and pep, which when you own a Saturn, you sometimes forget exists. Still running smooth after two years and a lot more miles on it. It's a little out of your stated range, but I'd recommend it.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 08:25 PM

5. "Don't really want a Camry or Accord, for different reasons"
In response to Reply # 2

A Camry is probably the first car I'd recommend to my sister or aunt. Does everything you want or need your car to do, and pretty reliable. But exciting? Not even with the redesign. I had one as a rental not too long ago. Pretty much confirmed everything I thought for years.

The Accord has for decades been the benchmark for a mid sized sedan. I actually learned to drive in my aunt's 93 Accord EX. Everything just felt well oiled and balanced. Snappy car too. Still, styling wise they have lost the plot the last generation or two and I don't care for the dash layout. If I really wanted to stretch for an Accord, I could, but it's just not quite for me

Style wise the Fusion and 6 work much better for me. If I've got to sink a few grand in a car and live with it for years I better like looking at it. Doesn't hurt that both are a bit sportier than their contemporaries (subjectively speaking, anyway)

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 07:35 PM

3. "My Mazda 3 has 287K and counting trouble free* miles"
In response to Reply # 0

*The cd changer did break and had to be replaced but other than that she's been great. I assume the 6 would have similar reliability and would recommend that. Mazda's are fun to drive also with great fit and finish inside for the price range.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 08:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "DAMN. that's incredible. you must realy stay on top of it"
In response to Reply # 3

in terms of oil changes, spark plugs, tranny flushes, tire upkeep, bushings/bearings, hose maintenance. etc

that's awesome

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 08:42 PM

27. "Thanks, do everything myself,"
In response to Reply # 25

Oil changes every 5K, spark plugs every 100K or so, keep the tires rotated, did a full tranny flush once-dropped the pan to clean off an amazing amount of liquid metal that was once gears-now I just do partial tranny changes frequently, never had any bearing issues, have changed the belts a couple times even though they looked fine for good measure. I worked in a custom body shop in high school which helped me become less afraid of breaking things on cars.

The one thing I'm bad at? Changing the air filter, it's a small pain to get to and I had thrown a K&N in when I got the car, I need to replace it with standard paper because I hate the whole cleaning/oil/drying process. Takes forever so I never do it. Maybe tomorrow, ha ha.

I'm so thankful for message boards and youtube, with patience I can learn how to do anything and know it was done to my level of quality instead of trusting someone with an unknown quality level.

>in terms of oil changes, spark plugs, tranny flushes, tire
>upkeep, bushings/bearings, hose maintenance. etc
>
>that's awesome

See ya, JAK

tariqhu
Charter member
17885 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 07:36 PM

4. "get your loan from the credit union"
In response to Reply # 0

before you actually buy the car. test drive, but don't buy it until you holla at the credit union about the money.this gives you leverage.

for instance, the car = 20k
credit union gives you 17k
go to the dealer with that 17k and see if they'll sell you the car.
harder for them to turn down money up front and
less of a headache for you.

plus the credit union will give you better terms on the interest and prolly cheaper gap insurance.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 10:39 PM

6. "The Fusion is a BEAST Fam"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't driven the Mazda 6 but the Fusion is deceptively big and is a smooth ride. Ford stepped their game up big time...very reliable as well.

Another VERY reliable car in the price range is the Hyundai Sonata...very good car

I'm a lover of the Camry, but it got too expensive these days.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 11:52 PM

7. "about to swap out my fusion"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-27-15 11:55 PM by Rjcc

I've liked it, haven't had any issues really except that right now, I need to take it in, something w/ the traction control is acting up. I suspect it's this chip they had a recall on, but don't know yet.

I have the 2.0l ecoboost but I think the 1.6 is really enough engine for the car, I'm not doing much except burning more gas

I'm leasing and time is up. I could get another fusion, but I don't really want the same car, might go to an escape, or I've been looking at the Nissan Juke. it's got a kinda soft-ass CVT, but it's a decent ride and has more space than I thought. the Hyundai Veloster is kinda pulling at me too

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 08:47 AM

10. "Nice. The 2.0L is what I wanted too"
In response to Reply # 7

The HP and torque numbers are pretty much on par with my dad's old SHO, which is fun. But if I look at it realistically there's no reason for me to get the 2.0, as I'll never use or need that extra hit in 95% of my daily driving. Even if I end up with the 2.5L it will have more kick than my Saturn ever did.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Nissan's CVTs. They aren't bad, per se, but they take some getting used to, as the revs never seem to match what the car is doing. Combine that with an engine that really doesn't sound good reved up (at leas the 1.6 in this Versa) and it would be a grating combination. But I suppose you could get used to it

Something about a matte grey Veloster Turbo though...

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 11:16 AM

13. "like 98% of the time there's no difference"
In response to Reply # 10

I probably have a little more power right off the line or when I first start to accelerate, but done over I'd go w/ the smaller engine, it's just not a big difference

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 04:21 AM

8. "i dig the styling of cars like the charger & the magnum but"
In response to Reply # 0

for some reason i'm hesitant to drive cars like those and the chrysler 300 which are REALLY popular.

and the camry/accords of the world just seem boring.

hell, i don't know what i want to drive. like you, i'd prefer to keep it under $21k and i need a car that'll take the 30k miles a year imma put on it...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 08:11 PM

26. "Accords are dope and Camarys go forever"
In response to Reply # 8

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 07:12 AM

9. "I'm a fan of both cars mentioned. can't go wrong with either"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd lean Mazda only because they're more "fun"

but with the Fusion (assuming you mean "Aston"-era Fusion) the bells and whistles are more or less guaranteed. I've been in a few (most recently the Hybrid model) and I think their growing prevalence is well justified. best midsize sedan Ford has put out in a generation IMO

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 08:55 AM

11. "My only concern with the Mazda is this:"
In response to Reply # 9

What to do when it breaks. As great a car as it is, it's not like they are selling many of them, so finding parts and service will mainly be a dealer thing. Whereas you can throw a rock in any parking lot and stand a chance at hitting a Fusion. While I do worry about turbo failure at some point (and MyTouch taking a crap), there are many more of them on the road, so finding parts and service may be easier.

Small thing, and probably not the worst thing, but when you're splitting hairs between two cars you gotta think of everything

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 11:15 AM

12. "I've seen tons of people complain about mytouch etc"
In response to Reply # 11

but in the two years I've had it, I haven't had a problem w/ it. I don't use/have the navigation (it can't be added after purchase, although some people will tell you it can) and I've heard it doesn't work well.

the only real issue I've had is that if I have two bluetooth devices hooked up (phone and tablet for music) turning one off, or the phone rebooting or something, causes both to drop their connection.

other than that, no problems.

that said, the different forms of sync are different, the myford touch doesn't do all the sync apps stuff that there is in cars without the touchscreen, it's wildly confusing.

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 11:39 AM

14. "fam, what year Mazda6 you thinking of?"

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:05 PM

15. "I'm not as worried about MFTouch as far as using it goes"

I managed to figure it out in the few minutes I sat in one at the car show, so give me a day and I'm good. Older or less tech savvy people I'm sure are the ones that complain (much like with the OG iDrive setup in the 7 Series). What I am concerned about is a few years down the line the screen decides to give out, leaving me stuck. Mind you, that's a problem with any car with touch screen anything, and with every system being integrated, there's little in the way of aftermarket replacement. But that's hopefully a problem further down the road than would matter.

My wife's Focus has the regular MyFord setup, which works decently enough with voice commands (as opposed the voice commands in this Versa Note, which would drive me nuts). The menu system is a little confusing, and it definitely doesn't care to have more than one thing synced at a time (I've had issues when I ride with her and both phones had been synced)

As for the Mazda, MY2014 is what I'd be going for. Always had a thing for the Mazda6. The 1st Gen was a fun car, albiet a bit noisier and smaller than most midsized cars. The 2nd Gen got bigger, but lost something along the way. the current gen is just a fabulous looking car. If they had brought the diesel engine (which they're still working on) or the wagon version this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:48 PM

19. "I think even in the non MFT models you're looking at a similar"
In response to Reply # 15

loss of function (and cost of repair) should it decide to take a crap. like RJ said, the only real issue I have with MFT is some minor stuff. (it can be slow, but the same thing could be said of aftermarket set ups). If you're looking at recent ones, Ford has steadily improved it since introducing it. In particular, since the Fusion was introduced (it's way toned down compared to the Focus models that first got it), even if the interface is similar.

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 08:47 PM

28. "Diesel?!"
In response to Reply # 15

>As for the Mazda, MY2014 is what I'd be going for. Always had
>a thing for the Mazda6. The 1st Gen was a fun car, albiet a
>bit noisier and smaller than most midsized cars. The 2nd Gen
>got bigger, but lost something along the way. the current gen
>is just a fabulous looking car. If they had brought the diesel
>engine (which they're still working on) or the wagon version
>this wouldn't even be a discussion.

^^Yes to all of this. The second gen seemed like a weird step backwards, changing things for the sake of change instead of improvement. The current Mazda's are beautiful, I love the flexibility a wagon brings, didn't know they're toying with diesel, that'd be awesome.

See ya, JAK

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 09:42 PM

30. "They actually have an oil burner in Europe, but it won't work here"
In response to Reply # 28

That motor won't quite meet emission regulations. The engine they are working on still doesn't quite have the power they want. They may end up just using a urea treatment system, which they were trying to avoid

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/01/mazda6-diesel-delayed-still-coming-report/

Still, all things being equal I'd rather have the wagon:
http://s5.paultan.org/image/Mazda6-Wagon-36.jpg

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 10:47 AM

32. "I have seen no less than 3 previous gen 6 wagons in recent weeks"
In response to Reply # 30

and everytime I see one, I turn my head. I would love to see this new one here, but it's gonna be a hard sell for them.

I would wager that CX-5 does a lot of business for them.
they just have a lot of great products. I love the Mazda 5 (a minivan I would consider), and the new 3s are just great.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18752 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:17 PM

16. "You could go late model luxury for your price range"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a grip of Audi A3s out there for under 20k, for example.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:19 PM

17. "repairrrr cossssstsssssss"
In response to Reply # 16

and insurance

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:24 PM

18. "REPAIR COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $100 oil changes!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 01:20 PM

23. "that way be dragons yo. I love my LS, you know that"
In response to Reply # 18

but if anyone asks me if they should buy one I'm like NOOOOOOOO

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:52 PM

20. "Even with my Audi fetish, that's gonna be a negative"
In response to Reply # 16

Repairs and insurance would likely be the cost of the note. That's likely why you'll see plenty around at Eastern Motors and the like.

If I'm older and the kids move, I can indulge my Audi fetish (and that S3 is the perfect sized car just for me...). But trying to be a fiscally responsible a luxury or near luxury car isn't the best move for me at the moment

Besides, I don't need a Steve and Marci moment...

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18752 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:59 PM

21. "Are you familiar with Tavarish's work at Jalopnik?"
In response to Reply # 20

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/5-things-no-one-tells-you-about-owning-a-used-luxury-ca-1582610274/+pgeorge?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Alternately, you could look Ac/Infiniti/Lexus and get Honda/Toyota reliability with the performance and comfort of a luxury vehicle.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 01:15 PM

22. "dude. electrical. issues."
In response to Reply # 21
Tue Apr-28-15 01:19 PM by Rjcc

that article is pretty on point though.

look, you can save a lot of money and enjoy a lot of luxury features.

BUT THERE'S A REASON THOSE CARS DEPRECIATE SO MUCH

like dude said, stuff that's cheap is suddenly expensive. I had EXACTLY that same shit he talks about w the key to my lincoln. the guy who sold it to me had bought it used, and said he only had one key.

making a second would've required a trip to the dealer and crazy expense for just getting a key.

every damn thing about the car is like that.

you can do it, but it means a. being able/willing to work on your own car. b. keeping a few grand around for when your superdupermagnetoplenium suspension decides to take a shit AND IT WILL and only the dealer can fix it cuz no one else has the parts/tools

etc. etc. etc.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 01:43 PM

24. "Yeah, I read the article a few weeks ago"

>http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/5-things-no-one-tells-you-about-owning-a-used-luxury-ca-1582610274/+pgeorge?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

If I had money up front, or another daily driver, I could see possibly going that route. But with 2 kids I don't have the luxury of having a car sit to get work done on it when it breaks and I've got to save to get it fixed. Even then, that doesn't speak to the insurance, which is going to go up just by the car I'd drive in the DMV

>Alternately, you could look Ac/Infiniti/Lexus and get
>Honda/Toyota reliability with the performance and comfort of a
>luxury vehicle.

Don't want an Ac or a Lex for the same reasons I don't want a Camry or Accord. As for the Infinity, I don't need to drive a car that sounds like an angry vacuum cleaner is under the hood (which is exactly how that Nissan V6 sounds in every vehicle they put it in)

Moving up the automotive food chain is a dream, and one day it may happen. If I were single, or at least with no kids, I may have given that more thought. But with 2 kids, it just won't work. If I'm buying a luxury car, I don't want to compromise on anything, and right now a compromise is the only way I'll be riding again.

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 08:57 PM

29. "Great article"

I had an Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo FE3 in high school that had needed new air struts (they supposedly would never need replaced), shop had it forever and eventually had to contact the factory and talk to the guy who designed the things to get them off. Thanks dad for covering that bill!

I've always loved Cadillac Allante's and mid-90s SL500's but been afraid of what maintenance would be like on either.

See ya, JAK

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 12:51 PM

33. "always some bullshit part with those cars"
In response to Reply # 29

that built only for that vehicle and never used again in life

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 10:37 AM

31. "Found 2 Fusions online. Now for the financing"
In response to Reply # 0

Going to check the credit union and see what they can do, as I much rather have money in hand than to deal with the dealer's financing arm if at all possible.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12791857 Previous topic | Next topic