Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12788563

Subject: "C. West Responds to MED......Sorta. " Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"C. West Responds to MED......Sorta. "
Thu Apr-23-15 12:31 PM by WarriorPoet415

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2015/04/cornel_west_responds_to_michael_eric_dyson_s_article_on_facebook.html

hat’s more important: Two academics debating each other’s relevancy or the plight of the black and poor in America?

Cornel West seems to think it’s the latter, or at least that’s how he has posited himself in the brewing war of words between himself and former friend Professor Michael Eric Dyson.

While Dyson took to The New Republic to publish his critique of his mentor, “The Ghost of Cornel West,” Sunday night, West chose the less flashy route—a Facebook post.

After Dyson’s story dropped, many wondered what West’s response would be to the Georgetown academic’s lengthy, often pointed, yet personal critique of the Princeton scholar. Dyson himself speculated that West would be unlikely to match his response (“He doesn’t write.”) due to West’s less-frequent written output.

Here’s what West posted in full:

The escalating deaths and sufferings in Black and poor America and the marvelous new militancy in our Ferguson moment should compel us to focus on what really matters: The life and death issues of police murders, poverty, mass incarceration, drones, TPP (unjust trade policies), vast surveillance, decrepit schools, unemployment, Wall Street power, Israeli occupation of Palestinians, Dalit resistance in India, and ecological catastrophe.

Character assassination is the refuge of those who hide and conceal these issues in order to rationalize their own allegiance to the status quo. I am neither a saint nor prophet, but I am a Jesus-loving free Black man in a Great Tradition who intends to be faithful unto death in telling the truth and bearing witness to justice. I am not beholden to any administration, political party, TV channel or financial sponsor because loving suffering and struggling peoples is my point of reference. Deep integrity must trump cheap popularity. Nothing will stop or distract my work and witness, even as I learn from others and try not to hurt others.

But to pursue truth and justice is to live dangerously. In the spirit of John Coltrane’s LOVE SUPREME, let us focus on what really matters: the issues, policies, and realities that affect precious everyday people catching hell and how we can resist the lies and crimes of the status quo!

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I've only seen MED's interview with Marc Lamont Hill
Apr 23rd 2015
the case for what?
Apr 23rd 2015
      The case that West is guilty of the charges he's making.
Apr 23rd 2015
OGed him as he should no lyrical miracle
Apr 23rd 2015
Half Short, Twice Strong (c) GZA
Apr 23rd 2015
That GZA quote is very fitting.
Apr 23rd 2015
Ugh, this is just light-skinned negroes in they feels bout some bullshit...
Apr 23rd 2015
what part of CW statement exhibits "the feels"?
Apr 23rd 2015
      This part:
Apr 23rd 2015
           How so?
Apr 23rd 2015
           LOL
Apr 23rd 2015
           CW spoke out on, say, Jena 6 pre obama
Apr 23rd 2015
                but he wasn't nice about it
Apr 23rd 2015
                     YUP
Apr 24th 2015
                     meh
Apr 24th 2015
In other words, Dyson used 10,000 words to say, "Yo, mammy!"
Apr 23rd 2015
Thank you
Apr 23rd 2015
exactly and exactly
Apr 23rd 2015
He telling on himself here tho.
Apr 23rd 2015
Yeah, MED's unstated point in the Marc Lamont Hill interview
Apr 23rd 2015
u dont have to really like any of the 3 but west has a resume
Apr 23rd 2015
How by pointing out Pres Obama's
Apr 23rd 2015
      Dude, West's personal attacks against BHO are WELL documented
Apr 23rd 2015
           What are some examples of his personal attacks?
Apr 23rd 2015
in other words, fuck me...its abt the message.
Apr 23rd 2015
His message is flawed tho.
Apr 23rd 2015
      His attacks on BHO are likely more personal than those on previous presi...
Apr 23rd 2015
Akon in 5, 4, 3, 2...
Apr 23rd 2015
Is the personal not political when it comes to Black men in the academy?...
Apr 23rd 2015
the personal as politcal has gained WAY TOO MUCH
Apr 23rd 2015
      Oh, Black feminism/womanist theorists all day. Praxis>>intellectualism.
Apr 23rd 2015
           RE: Praxis>>intellectualism, yes, but
Apr 23rd 2015
                Great question!...I think about this a lot.
Apr 23rd 2015
He's talking/flying in circles and lading on himself.
Apr 23rd 2015
"First thing he's written in years..." - MED
Apr 23rd 2015
Cornel dictated this to his secretary like:
Apr 23rd 2015
Glen Ford ran down the aisle with a folding chair and clanked (LINK)
Apr 24th 2015
FUCK that was hard as shit
Apr 24th 2015
That opening paragraph is BS and austerity was not a serious option
Apr 24th 2015
Glen Ford is such a G
Apr 24th 2015
Praises
Apr 24th 2015
LOL my feelings exactly
Apr 24th 2015
Bam!!
Apr 24th 2015
He gave Dyson that work.
Apr 24th 2015

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 12:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I've only seen MED's interview with Marc Lamont Hill"
In response to Reply # 0

The case he made there was super strong, imo.

But West is seen as (and probably is) much more intelligent than MED and is, rightly or wrongly, on the Mt. Rushmore of black intellectuals since 1968, so he can afford to brush the criticisms off as just haterism.

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 12:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the case for what?"
In response to Reply # 1

that's what I've been wondering the whole time...what's the point?

when I come around, they frown
then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 12:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "The case that West is guilty of the charges he's making."
In response to Reply # 2

Going off the memory of what I heard him say when I watched the interview last night:

1. West champions the Black Prophetic tradition, but his insults of other people violate that tradition (MLK never got nasty about anyone, even the people who wanted him dead, for example).

2. West has not really articulated in writing what the Black Prophetic Tradition is.

That's all I can remember. I still haven't watched the last third of it, so I don't know what else he says. And I haven't read the article, either.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:10 PM

4. "OGed him as he should no lyrical miracle"
In response to Reply # 0

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Half Short, Twice Strong (c) GZA"
In response to Reply # 0

MED hit the WORDS WORDS WORDS joint over the fact he "respects" Obama, West doesn't and that West called folks for not calling out OBAMMY.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 04:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "That GZA quote is very fitting."
In response to Reply # 5

Since 1976

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Ugh, this is just light-skinned negroes in they feels bout some bullshit..."
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, another light-skinned smart-dumb prophet once said: a thug changes & love changes & best friends become strangers. Get over it tho bruh, damn lol.

Also, it is absolutely disgusting to use the very real suffering of Black poor people as reason for their intellectual pissing match.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "what part of CW statement exhibits "the feels"?"
In response to Reply # 6

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

no_i_cant_dance
5577 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:56 PM

13. "This part:"
In response to Reply # 9

The escalating deaths and sufferings in Black and poor America and the marvelous new militancy in our Ferguson moment should compel us to focus on what really matters: The life and death issues of police murders, poverty, mass incarceration, drones, TPP (unjust trade policies), vast surveillance, decrepit schools, unemployment, Wall Street power, Israeli occupation of Palestinians, Dalit resistance in India, and ecological catastrophe.

Character assassination is the refuge of those who hide and conceal these issues in order to rationalize their own allegiance to the status quo. I am neither a saint nor prophet, but I am a Jesus-loving free Black man in a Great Tradition who intends to be faithful unto death in telling the truth and bearing witness to justice. I am not beholden to any administration, political party, TV channel or financial sponsor because loving suffering and struggling peoples is my point of reference. Deep integrity must trump cheap popularity. Nothing will stop or distract my work and witness, even as I learn from others and try not to hurt others.

But to pursue truth and justice is to live dangerously. In the spirit of John Coltrane’s LOVE SUPREME, let us focus on what really matters: the issues, policies, and realities that affect precious everyday people catching hell and how we can resist the lies and crimes of the status quo!

AKA the entire thing. Like, I'm not saying CW cannot be in his feels over MED verbose Drake-esque essay BUT let's not pretend that this is in the name of justice. AND! It's cute CW is against character assassination but used similar (albeit a lot less verbose) tactics against MHP. Bottom line, BOTH them *light-skinned negroes got hurt feelings & need to let go & let God.

*I bring up their light-skinnedness in a joking manner BUT I think light-skinned Black men are definitely allowed the space to be in their feels & have their feels legitimized more than dark-skinned Black men. Like, I really think that if the two men were say...Marc Lamont Hill & Mark Anthony Neal, the framing/discussion would be different.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:58 PM

14. "How so?"
In response to Reply # 13

>Like, I really think that if the two
>men were say...Marc Lamont Hill & Mark Anthony Neal, the
>framing/discussion would be different.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 02:02 PM

15. "LOL"

Riot
14614 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 03:33 PM

26. "CW spoke out on, say, Jena 6 pre obama"

so yea i cant say this is wholly NOT in the name of justice

obviously there are many many personal feelings and disingenous motivations involved

but that does not make obama any less 'the drone president'
-as Potus is apologizing on TV right now for droning more (american) hostages-

or CW's other critiques of WH policy any less true.

MED had no ideological points to dispute, just 'CW dont write no more! hes not really a prophet! that afro is really a wig!' irrelevance. negro

as for ridiculousness of the colorism topic, the stereotype is that #teamdrake's are more in their feelings, but still get clowned for it.
so eh id mostly disagree that one side is given more freedom to express

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 04:32 PM

31. "but he wasn't nice about it"
In response to Reply # 26
Thu Apr-23-15 04:45 PM by Sarah_Bellum

That is what makes people the most upset...
CW critiqued Obama with the same fervor that he did Bush... because his policies on the poor, war, and yes race were and are continuations of bad policy, almost nonexistent, lacking or just speeches. The rest of the black left leaning pundits, academics, etc, decided he was a sacred cow and took an 8 year time out on shit they were screaming from the roof tops about only an administration ago.. They decided to stay silent on things that they would have ripped bush a new asshole for no matter what the circumstances were. CW didn't change...

There will be a time when black folks, scholars at least, will be able to look at Obama objectively and put out worthy critique of his policies but right now the only thing black folks love more than themselves is Obama. CW's mistake is not that he's wrong, it is that he stated it 50 years too early, but his critiques on the presidents policies and record on the poor, war, racial/social injustice, privacy and big business are abysmal. There just is no way around it.... I say that a someone who went to the inauguration, ball and all.

DJTB YOMM

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 12:38 AM

35. "YUP"
In response to Reply # 31

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 08:46 AM

36. "meh"
In response to Reply # 31

pretending like Obama is status quo in all areas is disingenuous

from a global political standpoint...yea, sure, he deserves criticism

those aren't even the things he criticizes him about the most

CW won't even acknowledge the positive stances Obama takes

bc he's too butthurt and biased

him not taking on EVERY SINGLE flaw of US Policy that has been dropped in his lap that's been heaped upon a pile of bullshit since the 50s...it's just odd

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:33 PM

7. "In other words, Dyson used 10,000 words to say, "Yo, mammy!""
In response to Reply # 0

At a time when the majority of politically active black folks are trying to mobilize to stop the police executions in every city and state in the union...
That's what I said when I read it...
This article will be appart of his literary legacy... That was the pure motivation of writing it. It's as self serving as they come.

DJTB YOMM

Musa
15789 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 02:18 PM

17. "Thank you "
In response to Reply # 7

some folks don't read and others that claim they do lack comprehension skills.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 03:22 PM

24. "exactly and exactly"
In response to Reply # 7

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:36 PM

8. "He telling on himself here tho."
In response to Reply # 0

>http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2015/04/cornel_west_responds_to_michael_eric_dyson_s_article_on_facebook.html
>
>Character assassination is the refuge of those who hide and
>conceal these issues in order to rationalize their own
>allegiance to the status quo.

That's EXACTLY what he was doing. lol

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:41 PM

11. "Yeah, MED's unstated point in the Marc Lamont Hill interview"
In response to Reply # 8

had to do with West's hypocrisy, I think.

What I find striking is a sort of childishness on the part of West. It's shocking because he's such an intellect and because I agree with so many of his actual points and ideas. But his almost refusal to be civil about it all is unfortunate.

But one thing people's reactions to this are showing me is that many/most people really like West. Because Tavis has been doing almost the same exact things that West is being accused of, but people don't generally like him as much, so he gets clowned for it. And MED was already seen as sort of clown in his own regard, so his critique has been received skeptically.

Riot
14614 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 02:20 PM

18. "u dont have to really like any of the 3 but west has a resume"
In response to Reply # 11

tavis/Med, comparatively speaking, do not.

and tavis being basically a journalist not an academic, is less expected to anyway

*"u" in the general

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Musa
15789 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 02:21 PM

19. "How by pointing out Pres Obama's"
In response to Reply # 8

drone strikes on civilians and US citizens?

Or how about the cosigning and authorization of phone tapping, data mining all US citizens?

Prove it.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

spades
44257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 03:12 PM

22. "Dude, West's personal attacks against BHO are WELL documented"
In response to Reply # 19

If you don't see it, it's because you don't want to. I got no issue w/Cornel's valid critiques of BHO. It's the bitterness w/which Cornel frames his points that is distasteful.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 04:12 PM

29. "What are some examples of his personal attacks?"
In response to Reply # 22

I recall sharp criticism of his policies and his actions. But nothing on a personal level.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:37 PM

10. "in other words, fuck me...its abt the message."
In response to Reply # 0

yall will get it one day i hope

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

spades
44257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 03:12 PM

23. "His message is flawed tho."
In response to Reply # 10

He's muddied it w/hurt feelings and personal attacks. He needs to listen to his own advice.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 05:53 PM

33. "His attacks on BHO are likely more personal than those on previous presi..."
In response to Reply # 23

Maybe bc he didn't believe in those presidents like he seemed to believe in BHO at one point. Maybe none of those presidents broke his heart like BHO. Plus, you know, BHO is black. He family. And family fights are often dirtier, meaner and nastier bc they are more personal. There's more at stake than when strangers or others fight.

fuck you.

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 01:51 PM

12. "Akon in 5, 4, 3, 2..."
In response to Reply # 0

no_i_cant_dance
5577 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 02:11 PM

16. "Is the personal not political when it comes to Black men in the academy?..."
In response to Reply # 0

Like, I think this whole thing of "character assassination" is really just shining a spotlight on the bullshit a lot of these so-called intellectuals be on. I think how academics behave w/in & outside of the academy matters...for me, what they do outside of the academy matters more.

*shrugs*

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 02:25 PM

20. "the personal as politcal has gained WAY TOO MUCH"
In response to Reply # 16

traction post- Lorde, Bridge Called My back, and hooks

it's lead to lazy intellectualism

and really terrible in house grass roots org tensions and fall outs

no_i_cant_dance
5577 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 03:09 PM

21. "Oh, Black feminism/womanist theorists all day. Praxis>>intellectualism."
In response to Reply # 20

Theory can be on point af, but how do you treat your folks when no one's watching/when your folks are watching.

It's funny you bring up grassroots organizing fall outs b/c some of it is petty on some "I need to be THE FACE of the movement" BUT some of it is holding people accountable for their fuckshit involving abuse of power etc.

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 03:37 PM

27. "RE: Praxis>>intellectualism, yes, but"
In response to Reply # 21

what does that look like in real time? no snark.

>Theory can be on point af, but how do you treat your folks
>when no one's watching/when your folks are watching.
>
true.

trust. my mentor and I fell out YEARS ago. I was one of hhis main foot soldiers, and one of the first to bail when his bullying patriarchal machista shit kept getting modified as the woman kept calling him out and nothing happened, and we really were doing more intellectual work than community work. years later maybe two of the 30 people in under his activist and intellectual wing are still by his side.

>It's funny you bring up grassroots organizing fall outs b/c
>some of it is petty on some "I need to be THE FACE of the
>movement" BUT some of it is holding people accountable for
>their fuckshit involving abuse of power etc.

absolutely, see above.

no_i_cant_dance
5577 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 04:06 PM

28. "Great question!...I think about this a lot."
In response to Reply # 27

The short of it is I think praxis is many things big & small.

I think our grandmas feeding us & random folks' children is a form of praxis as it does something to sustain our communities/the most vulnerable in our communities.

I think the wealth of Jay & Beyonce is praxis b/c it is building generational wealth for their Black families.

I think being accountable/not being abusive is more common sense praxis that really smart people seem to miss.

Our praxis is not going to stop the violence (big & small) against us tho & THIS is the thing that I struggle w/ the most.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 03:32 PM

25. "He's talking/flying in circles and lading on himself. "
In response to Reply # 0

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 04:15 PM

30. ""First thing he's written in years..." - MED"
In response to Reply # 0

This was weak

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:38 PM

34. "Cornel dictated this to his secretary like:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.soulinstereo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/birdman-hand-rub.gif

------------------
One Hundred.

Musa
15789 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 01:08 PM

37. "Glen Ford ran down the aisle with a folding chair and clanked (LINK)"
In response to Reply # 0

damn near everyone.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/04/cornel-west-dyson-obama-glen-ford/?fb_action_ids=808947885541&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B761004747331111%5D&action_type_map=%5B"og.shares"%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Why They Hate Cornel West
Michael Eric Dyson’s attack on Cornel West signals the bankruptcy of the black political class.
by Glen Ford
Barack Obama / Flickr
Barack Obama / Flickr
As the clock unwinds on the nation’s first black presidency, much of the black political class is scrambling to rewrite the history of their own behavior over the past six or seven years. Suddenly, all of them claim to have been “constructive critics” of the Obama administration, despite the absence of any public record of such criticism when it might have made a difference.

In twenty-one months, the first black president will leave office having overseen a federal retrenchment more brutal than under Ronald Reagan, a “bipartisan” austerity regime forged in 2010 as Obama pursued his long-sought “grand bargain” with the GOP.

Before even taking office, back in early January 2009, Obama had loudly proclaimed his intentions to plunge directly into austerity mode, once the banks had been rescued from insolvency, by putting all entitlement programs “on the table” for chopping, including Social Security. He spent his first two years in office, when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress, creating a model for austerity through his hand-picked deficit reduction commission, which recommended $4 trillion in cuts — virtually the same as demanded by the Republicans.

When the GOP won control of the House in 2010, Obama bragged that he had already reduced domestic discretionary spending to “its lowest level since Dwight Eisenhower was president. That level of spending is lower than it was under the last three administrations, and it will be lower than it was under Ronald Reagan.”

In 2011, Obama outdid George W. Bush in unilateral war making, claiming the War Powers Act did not apply to the US/NATO bombing campaign against Libya because no Americans were killed and, therefore, no war — or even “hostilities” — had existed. A new era of proliferating “humanitarian” and proxy wars was inaugurated under the man who ran as a peace candidate in 2008.

Black America has plummeted to such economic depths under Obama’s watch that there is no possibility of ever reaching economic parity with whites absent a social revolution, the beginnings of which we may be witnessing in the growing mobilization against brutal police enforcement of the oppressive social order.

It is no wonder that so many members of the black political class, especially those that style themselves as progressives, are now anxious to revise their Obama-era political histories to put a false distance between themselves and the outgoing administration.

Which is why I found it curious that Georgetown University professor and preacher Michael Eric Dyson thinks this is an auspicious time to unleash a bloated, mean-spirited, and politically flatulent assault on Dr Cornel West, a black public intellectual who risked his “icon” status by breaking with Obama early in the president’s first term, when the center-right nature of his corporation-serving administration became manifest.

Dyson is clearly haunted by “The Ghost of Cornel West,” as the New Republic article is titled. In Georgia, the older country folks used to say that when a “haint” (a ghost) got on top of you in your sleep, you became temporarily paralyzed — a condition sometimes called “being rode by a witch.” Dyson’s obsession with West seems to have paralyzed those parts of his brain that process political facts and issues.

In almost ten thousand words, Dyson makes no reference to any substantive political issues that divide him and West, and offers only the slimmest assessment of Obama’s stance on the burning issues of the day. Given such a dearth of actual political analysis of either the Obama presidency or West’s critique of that presidency, the article is a soaring testament to Dyson’s enormous capacity for bloviation.

But, of course, there is method to Dyson’s meanness. The true purpose of his elongated smear of Dr West is to demonstrate to Hillary Clinton’s camp that Dyson remains a loyal Democratic Party operative who is available for service to the new regime. Having observed how hugely Al Sharpton prospered as President Obama’s pit bull against black dissent, Dyson offers unto Caesarius Hillarius (“We came, we saw, he died,” as she said of Gaddafi) the iconic head of the nation’s best known black dissident.

Dyson’s article is as dishonest as it is long and draining. Dyson is not mad at West because the Union Theological Seminary professor has supposedly turned out a “paucity of serious and fresh intellectual work” over the last several years. He was not driven to write a hit piece because his former friend is “not quite up to the high scholarly standard West set for himself long ago.”

Dyson has resorted to icon assassination because West’s highly visible critique of Obama’s domestic and foreign policy is an embarrassment to the administration, to the Democratic Party as an institution, and to the sycophantic black political elite that has been more loyal to Obama than to black people as a group.

Mostly, Dyson is mad because Dr West called him out, personally. Dyson writes:

It was during an appearance with Tavis Smiley on Democracy Now, shortly after Obama’s reelection. “I love Brother Mike Dyson,” West said. “But we’re living in a society where everybody is up for sale. Everything is up for sale. And he and Brother Sharpton and Sister Melissa and others, they have sold their souls for a mess of Obama pottage. And we invite them back to the black prophetic tradition after Obama leaves.

But at the moment, they want insider access, and they want to tell those kinds of lies. They want to turn their back to poor and working people. And it’s a sad thing to see them as apologists for the Obama administration in that way, given the kind of critical background that all of them have had at some point.”

Dyson attempts to draw the reader into a discussion of the definition of a “prophet,” and who is, or is not, one. But that’s just a long-winded way of asserting that West has no right to criticize Dyson, Harris, Sharpton, and the other black-notables-for-hire.

Dyson attempts to turn the “access” tables on West, noting that West was known to hang with celebrities like Warren Beatty, Sean “Diddy” Combs, Johnny Cochran, Snoop Dogg, and Salma Hayek. As if Warren Beatty has ever maintained a “kill list,” Sean Combs has plans to bomb Africa, or Snoop Dogg is actively engaged in turning the US government over to Wall Street.

Dyson claims West lives by a double standard. Attempting sarcasm, Dyson writes: “West offers himself a benefit that he refuses to extend to others: He can go to the White House without becoming a presidential apologist or losing his prophetic cool. He can spend an evening with the president, the first of many such evenings, without selling his soul.”

Well, apparently, West can. And, just as clearly, after nineteen or more visits to the White House, Dyson cannot. He not only sells himself, he tries to defame Dr Martin Luther King Jr as a sell-out access-monger, too. Without shame, honor, or a logical leg to stand on, Dyson writes: “King was arguably more beneficial to the folk he loved when he swayed power with his influence and vision. When West begrudges Sharpton his closeness to Obama, he ignores the fact that King had similar access.”

Dyson continues:

Sharpton and Jackson moved in the opposite prophetic direction of King. While King kissed the periphery with courageous vigor after enjoying his role as a central prophet, Jackson, and especially Sharpton, started on the periphery before coming into their own on the inside. Jackson’s transition was smoothed by the gulf left by King’s assassination, and while forging alliances with other outsiders on the black left, he easily adapted to the role of the inside-outsider who identified with the downcast while making his way to the heart of the Democratic Party.

Dr King and other members of the so-called “Big Six” organizations enjoyed some access to Lyndon Johnson’s White House because of the power of the movements they led. Dr. King did not become influential because he got invitations to the White House; he got invited to the White House because he was influential among millions of black people.

King made the principled, and possibly fatal, decision to break with Johnson on April 4, 1967, with his “Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break the Silence” speech. He effectively severed ties with an administration that had, at times, been an ally in the civil-rights struggle. Singling out the US as “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world, today,” Dr King said:

I knew that America would never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its poor so long as adventures like Vietnam continued to draw men and skills and money like some demonic destructive suction tube. So I was increasingly compelled to see the war as an enemy of the poor and to attack it as such.

Obscenely, Dyson attempts to depict Dr King as of his own ilk in his attack on West, who made his own break with Obama’s wars at home and abroad, early on.

Dyson has for years peppered his talks with references to his nonexistent substantive critiques of Obama, and does the same in the New Republic. “No matter how vehemently I disagree with Obama, I respect him as a man wrestling with an incredibly difficult opportunity to shape history,” he writes. “Throughout his presidency I have offered what I consider principled support and sustained criticism of Obama, a posture that didn’t mirror West’s black-or-white views — nor satisfy the Obama administration’s expectation of unqualified support.”

Yet there is no evidence of “sustained criticism,” in his current attack piece or anywhere else — only sustained opportunism. The only paragraph in the entire 9,600-word piece with any substantive statement on Obama policies, is a boilerplate pitch straight from the White House:

Obama believes the blessed should care for the unfortunate, a hallmark of his My Brother’s Keeper initiative. West and Obama both advocate intervention for our most vulnerable citizens, but while West focuses on combating market forces that “edge out nonmarket values — love, care, service to others — handed down by preceding generations,” Obama, as Alter contends, is more practical, offering Pell grants; stimulus money that saved the jobs of hundreds of thousands of black state and local workers; the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, which reduced the disparity of sentences for powdered and crack cocaine; the extension of the Earned Income Tax Credit, which kept millions of working poor blacks from sliding into poverty; and the extension of unemployment insurance and food stamps, which helped millions of blacks.

In my own two debates with Dyson on Democracy Now! in January 2008, and September 2012, I found it best to ignore the bulk of his “wall of words.” The torrent of syllables is mostly show, much of it pure nonsense designed to dazzle churchgoers. In cold print, Dyson is revealed as a rank careerist in the army of personal upward mobility.

Dr West has nothing to worry about from such quarters. But Dyson’s bosses will kill you.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 02:10 PM

38. "FUCK that was hard as shit"
In response to Reply # 37

This is the 1st I've read of this exchange other than the other OKP replies because

1) I refuse to waste my time listening to Michael Eric Dyson go through the entire English Dictionary before finally deciding to get to his point

and

2) I'm not a huge fan of Cornell West's tendency for grandstanding in his own right.

This shit was money tho

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 02:24 PM

39. "That opening paragraph is BS and austerity was not a serious option"
Fri Apr-24-15 02:25 PM by Case_One

as it was in Europe. And that article doesn't take into the account of the depression that was taking place.

Glen Ford is a clown for this and a real Jerk who's offending his boy West.

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 04:49 PM

40. "Glen Ford is such a G"

this shit was etherous

"In my own two debates with Dyson on Democracy Now! in January 2008, and September 2012, I found it best to ignore the bulk of his “wall of words.” The torrent of syllables is mostly show, much of it pure nonsense designed to dazzle churchgoers. In cold print, Dyson is revealed as a rank careerist in the army of personal upward mobility."

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 05:14 PM

41. "Praises "

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_gifs/4613905/Thank+you+based+god

DJTB YOMM

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 09:34 PM

42. "LOL my feelings exactly"
In response to Reply # 41

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 09:37 PM

43. "Bam!! "
Fri Apr-24-15 09:39 PM by Jon

The entire piece is one giant quotable, but this part nails it exactly:

"In almost ten thousand words, Dyson makes no reference to any substantive political issues that divide him and West, and offers only the slimmest assessment of Obama’s stance on the burning issues of the day. Given such a dearth of actual political analysis of either the Obama presidency or West’s critique of that presidency, the article is a soaring testament to Dyson’s enormous capacity for bloviation."

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Apr-24-15 11:24 PM

44. "He gave Dyson that work."

Since 1976

Lobby General Discussion topic #12788563 Previous topic | Next topic