Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12788327

Subject: "Why aren't there more amazing African sprinters?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why aren't there more amazing African sprinters?"
Thu Apr-23-15 09:43 AM by MEAT

I was looking at going to the Penn Relays but without Usain Bolt, I'm passing. Justin Gatlin I'd watch and Assafa Powell too, but I'm not seeing any once in a generation runners that I'd travel/pay to see.

Meanwhile I'm looking at this list of USA vs The World and Nigeria is fielding a team but I can't think of a single sprinter I'd want to see.

And that got me to thinking about Africans in general and my limited experience with them in the athletic world (the few I ran against through high school were TRASH). On a global scale, the best long distance runners come from Kenya. But from the entire continent and different ethnicities (I don't think that's right) race? culture? I don't know ... I can't think of any great African sprinters. And let's consider sprinting in this case 800 or below.

I think Egypt has a young man that's pretty sick with the 800, but that's it. As far as the 400, I'd expect more and faster to fit the ideal body type for a quarter miler. 6'2-6'6, slim muscular build. Hell they could even knock out the 400 hurdles.

I wish I had seen Edwin Moses run. <--- not African just my favorite runner.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Technique is the difference between good and great sprinters
Apr 23rd 2015
Wanna shoot for next year? I'm gonna catch Usain somewhere.
Apr 23rd 2015
      I'm in.
Apr 23rd 2015
Infrastructure. FWIW Frank Fredericks (Namibia) was a beast
Apr 23rd 2015
The lack of great/ quality Facilities is a major issue
Apr 23rd 2015
But that's going from good to great. Fast is fast.
Apr 23rd 2015
they were all brought to the u.s 400yrs ago
Apr 23rd 2015
*rimshot*
Apr 23rd 2015
In 2015, natural ability is not enough
Apr 23rd 2015
Good points. And I admittedly don't stay up on women runners.
Apr 23rd 2015
Sounds like that good Soviet Ivan Drago training.
Apr 23rd 2015
Coaching, also is track that popular over there?
Apr 23rd 2015
Culture and coaching
Apr 23rd 2015

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Technique is the difference between good and great sprinters"
In response to Reply # 0

Africa has lacked the coaching and the sprint tradition of the US and carribean nations. That said, Nigeria always has great sprinters and Ghana occasionally puts someone forward. The Kenyan 4by 400m has been competitive since the 1990's too, so there is some success.

Btw, every year i tell myself I'll check out Penn Relays and I always forget.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:44 AM

3. "Wanna shoot for next year? I'm gonna catch Usain somewhere. "
In response to Reply # 1

I think his last season is 2016.

------

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:49 AM

5. "I'm in. "
In response to Reply # 3

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:42 AM

2. "Infrastructure. FWIW Frank Fredericks (Namibia) was a beast"
In response to Reply # 0

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:45 AM

4. "The lack of great/ quality Facilities is a major issue"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-23-15 09:45 AM by Case_One

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 09:52 AM

6. "But that's going from good to great. Fast is fast. "
In response to Reply # 4

We had dudes in high school that trained on that pink, gravel bullshit and they could hit 46-49 on a real track. That's a good enough baseline to get you into shooting for 44-46 with a real training and facility.

------

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 10:14 AM

7. "they were all brought to the u.s 400yrs ago"
In response to Reply # 0

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 10:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "*rimshot*"
In response to Reply # 7

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 11:08 AM

9. "In 2015, natural ability is not enough"
In response to Reply # 0

When you watch international meets, you are looking at the best in the world so any African you see there is more than pulling his weight. The training for sprints now involves state of the art analytical tools and custom made gear to fine tune performance. US/Europe athlethes benefit tremendously from this. The time gap between them is rarely significant (Usain Bolt is a freak of nature).

The cash incentive is also not as lucrative as soccer. Most "natural" athelethes are channeled into soccer in Africa because even playing for a third tier European club pays decent money.

Naturally? West Africans run fast. East Africans run far. I'll put my money on the average untrained teenager from those regions outperforming other teenagers in Europe/Asia in the corresponding type of race.

That said, Nigerian sprinters especially females are often in the upper echelon. And West Africans run under the Union Jack or other European flag sometimes

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 12:26 PM

11. "Good points. And I admittedly don't stay up on women runners."
In response to Reply # 9

------

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 12:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Sounds like that good Soviet Ivan Drago training."
In response to Reply # 9

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 11:12 AM

10. "Coaching, also is track that popular over there?"
In response to Reply # 0

You'd be surprised how much culture plays into who's good at what.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 12:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Culture and coaching"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-23-15 12:39 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

East Africans don't have a culture of sprinting.
They see all athletic heros running the distance races.
Kids who probably would be good sprinters aren't really encouraged to participate in track like those built for endurance.

Just like Caribbean athletes have a tradition of sprinting and Eastern Europe in the weight events. Athletes who fit the mold are pushed further, while others pursue other things.

Related, the coaches in that region are all experts in distance running.

But like was mentioned above, Kenya has a tradition of putting out good 400m runners and often has very competitive 4x400 relay teams.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12788327 Previous topic | Next topic