Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12786941

Subject: "The Problem With Black Women." Previous topic | Next topic
atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 06:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Problem With Black Women."

I haven't read this but have at it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-lute/the-problem-with-black-women_b_7089452.html

My French Creole features speak to a long history of miscegenation: green eyes, skin the color of a white peach and a sharp Puritan nose to match my thinly drawn Vermillion lips. Still, my blackness is always in question because of my lightness, especially among my darker sisters. Imagine if you will, having an appearance that, if we're honest, harkens an antebellum era in which black women were viewed as a cross between farm equipment and an outlet for other's deviant sexual desires. A time when light and dark black women were separated and pitted against one another in the hopes of forever severing what should have been an unbreakable bond -- creating envy, disdain, self-loathing and unnecessary competition.

Welcome to the plight of the light African American woman navigating the "darker the berry the sweeter the juice" cosmos, where mere physical differences (fine hair to thicker locks and thin lips to billowy pouts) serve as the basis for generational division. Sadly, I recently learned that these divisive lines, created generations ago, remain frustratingly in place.

Weeks ago I wrote an essay critiquing a popular entertainer (who happens to be light, though she's darker than me) who I believed had wrongly received an honor partly because of America's preference for lighter blacks over darker ones. In the time that it takes to write a hateful tweet, I was labeled a self-hater and, humorously, a "tragic mulatto" who was secretly ashamed of my "obvious European heritage." For the record, both of my parents are black. As are both sets of my grandparents. Of course these vital facts mattered none. As the piece went viral, I found myself pitted against both those who looked like me (I'd apparently broken code and dared critique another light sister) and those who didn't (I had not only caused "unnecessary division," but I had the audacity to talk colorism when I certainly hadn't experienced the same depth of racism so many others had.)

In all fairness, this "mulatto" (which technically I am not) has led a far easier life simply because I lack darkness. The unwritten rule is that the darkest women are the most burdened while lighter black women are, I suppose, damned to "house Negro problems" that equate to mere hiccups in days that are perpetually long with happiness, job promotions and our pick of viable suitors. Dark or light, black women are long overdue to finally own up to our deep-rooted resentment toward one another. No, I may not have lost out on a promotion, but when I walk into a room I am still deemed an "other." It's not clear to most to what extent I am unlike the majority, but it's enough to ensure my piece of the American pie is unfairly smaller than non-blacks.

Allow me to join an already uncomfortable conversation. I'm going out of my cotton-picking mind trying to convince my darker sisters that I'm not their competitor, and that loving who I am, and what I look like, isn't a condemnation of darker women. If I've made great strides in my career it is because I've faltered, failed and tried again, ad nauseam. But is also because society finds me less threatening. I do not believe I'm prettier than any other woman, and know that my finest qualities have nothing to do with my "funny-colored eyes" or "fine hair." I'm saddened that we have imposed a self-defeating value system based mainly on our exterior differences. And contrary to certain beliefs, I too have experienced the most blatant racists insults, perhaps more so than others because I'm a writer who targets her subjects indiscriminately. Don't let this "light, damn near white" complexion fool you.

As a journalist, author and the designated "light girl" in my coterie, I'm frankly "Fanny Lou-Hamer tired" of the nitpicking among black women. Since moving to Atlanta in the millennia, I've befriended mostly white women. Why? The unvarnished truth lies somewhere between my own emotional hang-ups and the fact that most of the darker black women I've met are competitive, strident, pushy and critical of my decisions. As such, it's been easier to socialize with those women who value my friendship without stipulations and constant backtalk. Thus, my friendships with white women are neat, unfettered and based solely on our likes and dislikes. And instead of forcing my friendship on black women who want nothing to do with me, I've allowed my other relationships to develop organically even if it meant there was a glaring absence of color that would cause my ancestral foremothers to spin in their unmarked graves.

So why is it so hard for some black women (myself very much included) to foster and gain positive long-term friendships with each other? The initial response would be petty jealousy, arrogance and confrontational behavior, systemic roadblocks that were put in place long before this generation was born. The whole truth, I suspect, harkens back to slavery, in which blacks as a whole were forcibly pitted against one another; no group more so than black women. Lighter mothers, daughters and sisters were given an unfair, unjust and amoral advantage over so-called jezebels, mammies and jigaboos which fostered disheartening prejudices that continue to stain and cripple our modern day relationships.

Instead of cutting each other underfoot for the slightest of infractions, we need to appreciate the complexities of our differing experiences, appearances and preferences. When will we replace our hip-swerving, eye-rolling bitching with a genuine sisterhood that's unwavering in its devotion? Sadly, I fear we're responsible for reigniting pre-civil war valuations by competing against one another, taking over where Jim Crow laws left off. My green eyes don't make me inherently superior, nor does it make me insensitive to the plight of darker women. Just as your darker skin doesn't make you blacker than me, nor does it negate my experience as a black woman in post-slavery America. I'm not lighter for any other reason than you are darker. It simply it what it is.

Allow me to digress. When I speak of jealousy, I don't necessarily mean jealousy from darker women toward lighter ones. I've been jealous of those with richer, darker skin, those with almond eyes and wavy, fuller hair. In fact, every time I see a gaggle of darker black girlfriends I can't help but long for their camaraderie, their sincere compatibility. Over the years, I've had numerous friendships with black women of all shades but only a precious few resulted in true amity and enlightenment. Sadly, most of these "friendships" were beset with backstabbing, hurtful rumors and instances of fierce rivalry from both sides. Have I ever encountered these same headaches with my non-black girlfriends? Of course, but black women have disappointed me in far larger numbers than white women. Could it be my fault that I don't have black social circles? Likely.

I might come from a family that replaced the usual New Year's Day celebratory dinner of collard greens and black-eyed peas with quiche Florentine, but we were still that minority family in a predominantly white Denver subdivision that had to repeatedly validate our presence among the majority. My childhood was ripe with advantages, but we weren't immune to racism. My older sister, who is darker than me (we have different fathers) has always been my mother's beloved daughter. To grow up in the shadow of a sister who is forever deemed smarter, more accomplished, prettier and more popular has certainly instilled prejudices that I'm ashamed to own, and have been slow to acknowledge. What I know for sure is that I don't believe I am better than anyone else. Nor is that my goal. There's more than enough blame to go around, and no one can escape accountability.

I often wonder if high-quality black friendships, formed in adulthood, are as easily attainable as our conferred 40 acres and a mule? Is my lack of black girlfriends due to my childhood? Or am I naively assuming my interests are exclusive to white women? Or is it because I've allowed other's preconceived notions about darker black women to wedge a divide between us? Perhaps it's all of the above. We can only lay blame at the feet of a bigoted and divisive American for so long before our oppressions become self-inflicted. We can't continue to blame our harsh indifference toward one another on "colored-only" water fountains and segregated lunch counters. It's time to ask the difficult questions and prepare for the unvarnished truth, even if the answer reveals resentments that are a comet high and a soul deep.

It's not politically correct to question the behavior and negative tendencies of those in your own race, but sometimes it's necessary for collective forward evolution. Admittedly, my desire to judge is twined with my own insecurities. And I can't be alone. When you juxtapose two diametrically opposite things you normally wouldn't see coupled together, it should force you to reevaluate each and hopefully create a new appreciation of both, separately and as a whole. This has been the case with my white girlfriends and I hope one day it will be the case with my darker sisters.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
she could've been out making friends while she was writing this bullshit
Apr 21st 2015
Damn those hating ass darkies!
Apr 21st 2015
I thought she'd be happy with her light-skinned privileges.
Apr 21st 2015
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f0/9f/51/f09f51b8fc76440720531...
Apr 21st 2015
Another pic. Like how are ppl supposed to even know she's black?
Apr 21st 2015
      that bish is off.. like, crazy off.
Apr 22nd 2015
Shrug my sister doesn't hang out w/anyone failing the paperbag test.
Apr 21st 2015
smh. no snark but it sounds like you and your sister have issues..
Apr 22nd 2015
Wait, what?
Apr 22nd 2015
They went in on her on the For Harriet page on Facebook
Apr 22nd 2015
LMAO @ the first 4 words
Apr 22nd 2015
^ I felt the same way. Maybe she is the problem with black women
Apr 22nd 2015
My eyes rolled down the hallway.
Apr 22nd 2015
lol
Apr 22nd 2015
it's were i stopped
Apr 22nd 2015
white women friendship colder, ice cold
Apr 22nd 2015
title inspired #Benson, first sentence turned it into full #Westbrook......
Apr 22nd 2015
the fact that people still reply to trash like this
Apr 22nd 2015
half the replies on Huffpo are shitting on Huffpo and the editor
Apr 22nd 2015
*cues Kendrick's "Complexion"*
Apr 22nd 2015
I'm so upset I even read this
Apr 22nd 2015
So how many seats should she have exactly?
Apr 22nd 2015
Horribly written
Apr 22nd 2015
vermillian lips
Apr 22nd 2015
      that first sentence was painful.
Apr 22nd 2015
That great N**** gumbo!
Apr 22nd 2015
also, am i wrong in assuming most AAs
Apr 22nd 2015
not in my fam. not at all.
Apr 22nd 2015
Trying to fit into white superiority myths
Apr 22nd 2015
Btwn this and Hugh Masekela
Apr 22nd 2015

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 06:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "she could've been out making friends while she was writing this bullshit"
In response to Reply # 0

lol.
it's all in her head.

<--- Big Baller World Order

SimplyHannah
Member since Aug 09th 2009
7226 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 07:10 PM

2. "Damn those hating ass darkies!"
In response to Reply # 0

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 07:17 PM

3. "I thought she'd be happy with her light-skinned privileges."
In response to Reply # 0

I guess not.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79624 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 08:23 PM

4. "https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f0/9f/51/f09f51b8fc76440720531..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f0/9f/51/f09f51b8fc7644072053104fd96f5819.jpg

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 10:45 PM

6. "Another pic. Like how are ppl supposed to even know she's black?"
In response to Reply # 4

>https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f0/9f/51/f09f51b8fc7644072053104fd96f5819.jpg

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_400_400/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMqAAAAJDNiZDQ4MTllLWVkYzYtNGFhNS1iNDdhLTJlOTZiZDU2ZWRhMw.jpg

legsdiamond
79624 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 08:31 AM

10. "that bish is off.. like, crazy off. "
In response to Reply # 6

Also looks like she had some work done on her upper lip or maybe she she works really hard suppressing her lips.

I know a girl like this back home. She spends way too much time trying to convince people that everyone thinks she is white because of her complexion.

Nah.. lol, people shake their head and say "this white bish" because she is constantly propping up white people while shitting on Black people for doing the same thing.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 10:41 PM

5. "Shrug my sister doesn't hang out w/anyone failing the paperbag test."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think dark girls discriminate against light ones.

But I see it the other way around.

And most black people are medium to light these days esp in places like NYC where there's so much mixing.

Maybe it's dif where she lives or grew up.

legsdiamond
79624 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 09:52 AM

20. "smh. no snark but it sounds like you and your sister have issues.."
In response to Reply # 5

with complexion.

Anyone who says light skinned or dark skin women have issues...

has issues.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 10:46 AM

26. "Wait, what?"
In response to Reply # 5

>And most black people are medium to light these days esp in
>places like NYC where there's so much mixing.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 04:28 AM

7. "They went in on her on the For Harriet page on Facebook "
In response to Reply # 0

She doesn't have Black friends because she hates Black people.

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 08:23 AM

8. "LMAO @ the first 4 words"
In response to Reply # 0

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 08:30 AM

9. "^ I felt the same way. Maybe she is the problem with black women "
In response to Reply # 8

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 10:00 AM

21. "My eyes rolled down the hallway."
In response to Reply # 8

Grand_Royal
Charter member
33210 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 12:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
27. "lol"
In response to Reply # 21

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 03:36 PM

30. "it's were i stopped"
In response to Reply # 8

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 08:32 AM

11. "white women friendship colder, ice cold"
In response to Reply # 0

"I've befriended mostly white women. Why? The unvarnished truth lies somewhere between my own emotional hang-ups and the fact that most of the darker black women I've met are competitive, strident, pushy and critical of my decisions. As such, it's been easier to socialize with those women who value my friendship without stipulations and constant backtalk. Thus, my friendships with white women are neat, unfettered and based solely on our likes and dislikes. And instead of forcing my friendship on black women who want nothing to do with me, I've allowed my other relationships to develop organically even if it meant there was a glaring absence of color that would cause my ancestral foremothers to spin in their unmarked graves."

what's the point of all these paragraphs if it boils down to this? geez.
which darker skinned sisters is she breaking up with here?

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 08:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "title inspired #Benson, first sentence turned it into full #Westbrook......"
In response to Reply # 0

samsara
Member since Sep 15th 2002
3464 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 08:52 AM

13. "the fact that people still reply to trash like this"
In response to Reply # 0

instead of to the "media" like huffpo and the nyt and salon and whomever directly for marketing this BS for clicks (esp. when it's crappily written as well)

amazes me

they know if they print this crap
there will be every black blogademic reposting their links in their replies which is some more free advertising for their sites

"i fear no fate" e.e. cummings
"No girl. No fried chicken. I'm going back to get some sleep." - Haruki Murakami

legsdiamond
79624 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 09:50 AM

18. "half the replies on Huffpo are shitting on Huffpo and the editor"
In response to Reply # 13

I seen a few "fire the editor" and "Shame on you huffpo"

and also saw one girl shit on every light skinned woman in the world besides her cousin.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 09:15 AM

14. "*cues Kendrick's "Complexion"*"
In response to Reply # 0

nxgga siddown

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

MzOnyxVI
Charter member
5146 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 09:31 AM

15. "I'm so upset I even read this "
In response to Reply # 0

The unvarnished truth lies somewhere between my own emotional hang-ups

end of discussion

i've NEVER been able to understand the alleged cattiness that goes on between black women.

i have a GREAT group of girlfriends and have never dealt with backstabbing or any of the silly shit she references in this article.

i have different groups of friends. childhood friends. college friends. coworker sister friends. etc. NO ISSUES. light dark medium complected it doesnt matter.

SHE is the problem

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 09:47 AM

16. "So how many seats should she have exactly?"
In response to Reply # 0

chanel9000
Member since Nov 06th 2005
1610 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 09:49 AM

17. "Horribly written"
In response to Reply # 0

she must have written this after watching Light Girls on OWN which was also awful.

-------------
facebook.com/chanel9000

legsdiamond
79624 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 09:50 AM

19. "vermillian lips"
In response to Reply # 17

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 10:25 AM

24. "that first sentence was painful."
In response to Reply # 19

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 10:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "That great N**** gumbo!"
In response to Reply # 0

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 10:15 AM

23. "also, am i wrong in assuming most AAs"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-22-15 10:22 AM by teefiveten

or blacks in the diaspora have a good amount of lightskinneds in their family?

my dad's side is extremely light. reg and i joke that we're the 'darkies' of the family. all of my haitian friends have family members that run the gamut complexion wise and there isn't a problem. no one's being mean to non-family light skinned folks for their complexion because they look just like your family. i mean yeah there's color issues back home b/c the light ones are typically more wealthy but there isn't some idea that they aren't black, just higher class. there's also beauty issues there to unpack too so i don't want to act like things are perfect but that's in haiti, not here. it does happen here too but to compare isn't exactly apples to apples. it's going to be different.

i'm just thinking in the context of blacks of the diaspora who presumably have had more experience/exposure to the various tones of black skin

so all that aside not to say i don't believe her but it really doesn't seem like a pervasive issue. when i was in school no one ostracized light skinned people lol.

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

bayoubyyou
Member since Nov 06th 2005
17776 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 01:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "not in my fam. not at all."
In response to Reply # 23

hell, not even the mixed kids are lighter than me.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "Trying to fit into white superiority myths"
In response to Reply # 0

holding resentment against black men for not being able to protect them at most vulnerable times, lacking a understand of their true history and context for current situation. Same as with Black men in reverse.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 12:41 PM

28. "Btwn this and Hugh Masekela"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't.
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12786941 Previous topic | Next topic