Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12786796

Subject: "The REAL Last Man on Earth (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 03:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The REAL Last Man on Earth (swipe)"

*sigh*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/14/northern-white-rhino-sudan-armed-guard-kenya_n_7059682.html

After the decimation of his species by poachers, Sudan the rhino finds himself in an extremely precarious position: He is the last male northern white rhinoceros on the planet.

According to The Independent, the 40-year-old animal has been put under 24-hour armed guard in the Kenya game conservancy where he lives. There is hope that Sudan will one day be able to produce progeny -- and possibly save his kind from extinction.

Sudan and two female rhinos of his subspecies are cared for by rangers at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya. The trio are reportedly three of the last five remaining northern white rhinos in the world. Two other females live in captivity.

To protect him from poachers, Sudan has been fitted with radio transmitters, reports The Independent.

The rhino’s horn has also been removed as an added precaution.

"The only reason his horn has been cut off is to deter poachers," Elodie Sampere of the conservancy told The Dodo. "If the rhino has no horn, he is of no interest to poachers. This is purely to keep him safe."

In 1960, there were more than 2,000 northern white rhinos roaming the earth, according to the World Wide Fund for Nature. Poaching, however, reduced this number to 15 by 1984.

Poachers aren't just dangerous to rhinos, whose horns can reportedly fetch prices of $75,000 per kilogram or more, but also to the people who try to protect them.

In a January interview, Simor Irungu, a ranger who guards Sudan and other rhinos at Ol Pejeta, explained just how perilous his line of work is.

“With the rising demand for rhino horn and ivory, we face many poaching attempts and while we manage to counter a large number of these, we often risk our lives in the line of duty," Irungu told the website World of Animals.

To provide their rangers with the best possible training and equipment, Ol Pejeta launched a GoFundMe campaign last month. Thus far, the campaign has raised about $7,700.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
from 2000 down to 3 since 1960
Apr 21st 2015
why wouldnt they go get the other two female rhinos as well?
Apr 21st 2015
who knows... maybe he's already Phill Miller'ed his reputation with the....
Apr 21st 2015
maybe just start murdering the poachers on sight?
Apr 21st 2015
^ yep. prey on the predators.
Apr 21st 2015
eliminate the whole chain imo
Apr 21st 2015
i liked this story, too. they should freeze the sperm. somebody gotta
Apr 21st 2015
then there's cloning a la Jurassic Park
Apr 21st 2015
he's 40. His sperm gonna produce some sorry ass kids
Apr 22nd 2015
      oi I turn 40 this year.. don't be taking shots.
Apr 22nd 2015
he looks sad...like a rhino version of eeyore and sh*t.
Apr 22nd 2015
considering the most wonderful thing about tiggers.... yeah you're right
Apr 22nd 2015
rhinos apparently can be very fussy maters too, it seems
Apr 22nd 2015
are those southern white rhinos are notoriously less progressive though?
Apr 22nd 2015

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "from 2000 down to 3 since 1960"
In response to Reply # 0

imagine that eh?

"yo where my people at?"

like what if there were only 3 people left from your grad class?

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:33 PM

2. "why wouldnt they go get the other two female rhinos as well?"
In response to Reply # 0

have all four of em buss it open for a real nigga in the hopes of saving the species

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:38 PM

3. "who knows... maybe he's already Phill Miller'ed his reputation with the...."
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Apr-21-15 04:38 PM by PG

ladies

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:50 PM

4. "maybe just start murdering the poachers on sight?"
In response to Reply # 0

seriously, poachers are running a number of species to extinction. Maybe it's time to kill a few.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3557 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:58 PM

6. "^ yep. prey on the predators."
In response to Reply # 4

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 06:14 PM

7. "eliminate the whole chain imo"
In response to Reply # 4

I hate to focus on the poachers themselves as for the most part they are poverty stricken locals with very few options trying to provide for their families...

that said they need to be stopped.. they need alternatives... and more than anything the demand for the animal products in question needs to be eliminated somehow.

and then in the case of animals such as Tigers and Orangutans there's an entirely larger problem of habitat loss to massive agriculture and such like palm oil farms...

this story here is just stunning because we have identified the one sole male survivor of a species.. for all intents and purposes this species is done... the chances of ever achieving a sustainable stock from a single male seed are about as likely as the book of Genesis being accurate word for word...

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:56 PM

5. "i liked this story, too. they should freeze the sperm. somebody gotta"
In response to Reply # 0

jerk the rhino.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 06:18 PM

8. "then there's cloning a la Jurassic Park"
In response to Reply # 5

.. a single male though... this situation is beyond bleak.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 12:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "he's 40. His sperm gonna produce some sorry ass kids"
In response to Reply # 5

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 01:14 PM

12. "oi I turn 40 this year.. don't be taking shots."
In response to Reply # 11

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 07:12 AM

9. "he looks sad...like a rhino version of eeyore and sh*t. "
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 11:58 AM

10. "considering the most wonderful thing about tiggers.... yeah you're right"
In response to Reply # 9

I guess being the only one isn't as wonderful as tigger made it sound.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 03:07 PM

13. "rhinos apparently can be very fussy maters too, it seems"
In response to Reply # 0

just heard a piece on the Sumatran rhino population in Malaysia, and attempt to get a captive male to mate with a variety of females. Apparently the past 15 years have yielded only two captive bred babies.

Makes me wonder if, or why they don't, try to cross-breed... Northern whites should be able to breed with Southern whites as they're both considered the same species.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 06:41 PM

14. "are those southern white rhinos are notoriously less progressive though?"
In response to Reply # 13

I don't know why but it seems I keep finding the opportunity to make terrible jokes like this one in response to many of your poasts or replies lately..

...keep putting them up... I'll keep laying them down...

Lobby General Discussion topic #12786796 Previous topic | Next topic