Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12786465

Subject: "the most unique findings in your ancestory history?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"the most unique findings in your ancestory history?"

now Ben Affleck got a reality check,etc.. however what have you discovered in your own family tree that was a eye opener and it made you feel a certain way.

this is the getting your Alex Hailey on and finding your roots tree
what have you discovered??

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Not sure if unique, but I'm 2% South Asian. I wouldn't have
Apr 21st 2015
My Mom's family has lived in Philly since the late 1700s
Apr 21st 2015
that's dope your family been in one place for centuries
Apr 21st 2015
i haven't done one of this trace your ancestors thingys however
Apr 21st 2015
My great x2 grandparents were the first to own a car and color tv in the...
Apr 21st 2015
With orange sauce (on the duck)?
Apr 21st 2015
Soooooooo....we found out that we're related to one of our "heroes"
Apr 21st 2015
I got a cousin who murdered a judge on the bench
Apr 21st 2015
my great grandfather was a bootlegger who supplied 2 counties in MD wit
Apr 21st 2015
My paternal grandfather...
Apr 21st 2015
music been in your blood :-)
Apr 21st 2015
My maternal family was probably owed by Patrick Henry
Apr 21st 2015
Oh yeah we related to Thomas Jefferson too.
Apr 21st 2015
      I really wanna work on a book about the economic disparity
Apr 21st 2015
           Damn that's a really interesting point. I'd be shocked if no one
Apr 21st 2015
Not unique in finding but my family is from Southampton County, VA
Apr 21st 2015
it's rumored that my great grandfather worked on the panama canal
Apr 21st 2015
German ancestry on my paternal grandpa's side :(
Apr 21st 2015

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Not sure if unique, but I'm 2% South Asian. I wouldn't have "
In response to Reply # 0

guessed I had any of that at all.

I did some research and it turns out the British brought a good number of South Asians to colonial Virginia with them, and these people's blood eventually got spread throughout the area.

The rest of my genealogy is standard Tidewater area Blackness.

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "My Mom's family has lived in Philly since the late 1700s"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-21-15 12:24 PM by afrogirl_lost

They were originally enslaved in Haiti. They were brought to Philly by their slaveowner, who was a refugee during the Haitian Revolution.

I also recently discovered that my Dad's people are Yoruba. We did the African Ancestry test.

BookishBAP
Member since Jul 01st 2008
6479 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 05:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "that's dope your family been in one place for centuries "
In response to Reply # 2

--------------------------------
Wild Hunnids BAP - http://snurl.com/ze28u
ButterflyBAP 2.0
Spell those made up acronyms out!
http://rebuildpilgrim.org/

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:26 PM

3. "i haven't done one of this trace your ancestors thingys however "
In response to Reply # 0

i feel like the most interesting part of my background happened fairly recently with my dad's family being part of the great migration of haitians to the congo in the late 50s.
i mean of course i don't know for sure might could be some shit more interesting that happened before that but i don't know.

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

ThisIs_ATruthThang
Member since Nov 16th 2003
11678 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:36 PM

4. "My great x2 grandparents were the first to own a car and color tv in the..."
In response to Reply # 0

My great, great grandmother was native american,and supposedly always said she would marry the darkest negro she could find. My great, great grandfather looked like smoke he was so black.

My great grandmother gave my pops a duck when he was little and when she died they ate it at the funeral.

Those are the only details I have about my family... lol I have lots of names but no stories or occupations.

Somebody's lying...

@Atruelady Twitter/ @Sweetesttaboos Instagram

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "With orange sauce (on the duck)?"
In response to Reply # 4

I bet that jawn was good.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Soooooooo....we found out that we're related to one of our "heroes""
In response to Reply # 0

especially for us Black folk in the 90's.

But the way we're related is, eh.

So..his grandfather was the brother to my Grandmother's grandmother, out in Mississippi. Her grandma and sister were named Lydia and Anna, and they were the only sisters to the guy, who I'll call Bill.

They received a large amount of land, which was extremely valuable, and it was to be split between the three of them. Well, Bill was a snake type, and he sold the land without telling them, then took the money, and ran to another city.

Lydia and Anna found out, and.......they found that mafucka. And...killed that mafucka. And got the money.

The end.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49433 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:56 PM

7. "I got a cousin who murdered a judge on the bench"
In response to Reply # 0

Literally like the lyrics of a Nas song, dude rolled up in court with a saw'd off shotgun under his jacket and blasted a judge while he sat on the bench in the middle of court. Killed him and wounded the sheriff.

The wild part is he lived to tell the story. In fact, the first trial against him was a mistrial. They weren't able to convict him until they got an all white jury. Wild stuff.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 12:58 PM

8. "my great grandfather was a bootlegger who supplied 2 counties in MD wit "
In response to Reply # 0

whiskey. his operation got so big that he had buy a separate house to run hooch out of. i read an old newspaper article where they had some people talking about the old prohibition days. they say my man had cops on the payroll that would tell him when the raids were coming...

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 01:28 PM

9. "My paternal grandfather... "
In response to Reply # 0

.. Played in a steel band Orchestra that's in the smithsonian as the earliest steel pan recording

GirlChild
Charter member
56001 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 05:25 PM

15. "music been in your blood :-)"
In response to Reply # 9

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 01:46 PM

10. "My maternal family was probably owed by Patrick Henry "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-21-15 02:08 PM by Sarah_Bellum

Aka dude who helped write the constitution and said "give me liberty or give me death" nigga.

I was reading some letters he wrote to Quakers, who reached out to him about how slavery was evil... His responses was basically, I know it's cruel and inhuman and I'm saddened for my slaves unfair lot in life but they make my life so comfortable I won't give them up.

I still have some more digging to do to confirm it 100%. I always had a feeling we were owned by constitutional white folks. We go too far back in Virginia not too.

My paternal grand father was one of the few black number runners that ran his own bank. He never wrote anything down Or kept books, ala Malcolm X. He was known as the mayor west Philly. I had no idea about any of this until I went to his funeral and it was full of old gangsters packed in like sardines.

DJTB YOMM

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49433 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:05 PM

12. "Oh yeah we related to Thomas Jefferson too. "
In response to Reply # 10

Sally Hemings to be exact. Like Patrick Henry, he was the worst because he knew slavery was wrong and admitted it but couldn't come off those slaves.

My last name is very different but not uncommon in certain parts of northern virginia and kentucky because another set of my peoples were owned by a very rich slave owner in virginia who suddenly saw the light and freed all of his slaves.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:21 PM

13. "I really wanna work on a book about the economic disparity "
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Apr-21-15 04:34 PM by Sarah_Bellum

between negros that were freed early and those that were freed during the emancipation. Anecdotally every black person that has told me their people were freed early are financially and educationally better off than the rest. It's amazing what 50 to 100 of extra freedom can do even in a racist ass country. I'm pretty sure I have some family members that are still enlaved lol.

DJTB YOMM

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49433 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 08:13 PM

18. "Damn that's a really interesting point. I'd be shocked if no one "
In response to Reply # 13

Has ever studied it.

Would be a great way to directly measure the economic impact of slavery.

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 01:57 PM

11. "Not unique in finding but my family is from Southampton County, VA"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-21-15 01:57 PM by Fishgrease

and we're descendants of both Nat Turner and Pearl Bailey and my grandfather were 2nd cousins.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

GirlChild
Charter member
56001 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 05:23 PM

14. "it's rumored that my great grandfather worked on the panama canal"
In response to Reply # 0

BookishBAP
Member since Jul 01st 2008
6479 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 05:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "German ancestry on my paternal grandpa's side :("
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------
Wild Hunnids BAP - http://snurl.com/ze28u
ButterflyBAP 2.0
Spell those made up acronyms out!
http://rebuildpilgrim.org/

Lobby General Discussion topic #12786465 Previous topic | Next topic