Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12783540

Subject: "So.....now they're going after Chesimard??" Previous topic | Next topic
Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So.....now they're going after Chesimard??"

http://www.northjersey.com/news/fugitive-nj-cop-killer-chesimard-s-return-from-cuba-possible-1.1309796

Fugitive NJ cop killer Chesimard’s return from Cuba possible

APRIL 15, 2015, 11:20 PM LAST UPDATED: THURSDAY, APRIL 16, 2015, 9:51 AM
BY MIKE KELLY
STAFF WRITER | THE RECORD

American and Cuban diplomats plan to begin discussing the possible return to the United States of Joanne Chesimard, the convicted killer of a New Jersey state trooper, and other fugitives as part of a broader effort to restore diplomatic relations between the two nations, a State Department spokesman said on Wednesday.

The announcement came a day after President Obama said he intends to remove Cuba from the list of nations that sponsor terrorism and represented the first significant sign that U.S. and Cuban negotiators were willing to enter into talks over one of the most controversial and divisive issues standing in the way of the restoration of diplomatic relations.

But experts cautioned not to expect a quick extradition of Chesimard, who is |on the list of the FBI’s most wanted terrorists for her role in the killing of the trooper during a turnpike gunfight in 1973. She broke out of prison six years later and fled to Cuba, where she was granted political asylum.

Notably absent amid the reactions to the State Department announcement on Wednesday was any response from Cuban authorities. Attempts to reach Cuban government officials at the United Nations and in Washington were not answered.

But if negotiations begin over the fate of Chesimard and other fugitives, it would mark a significant change by the Cubans.

In the wake of the announcement in December that the United States and Cuba would restore diplomatic relations after a 50-year freeze, Cuban officials strongly asserted on several occasions that the Castro regime had no plans to reverse its decision to grant political asylum to Chesimard and other notable fugitives, including William Morales, a Puerto Rican nationalist who was implicated in the 1975 bombing of Fraunces Tavern in Manhattan, killing a Fair Lawn man.

But on Wednesday, the State Department went out of its way to portray the discussions over Chesimard, Morales and other fugitives as a key element in the overall diplomatic negotiations.

A State Department spokes­man, Jeff Rathke, specifically noted that Chesimard and Morales would be part of upcoming talks over law enforcement issues between the two nations.

“We see the reestablishment of diplomatic relations and the reopening of an embassy in Havana as the means by which we’ll be able, more effectively, to press the Cuban government on law enforcement issues such as fugitives,” Rathke said. “And Cuba has agreed to enter into a law enforcement dialogue with the United States that will work to resolve these cases.”

Rathke said the dialogue is also expected to address cooperation on more routine crimes.

Reaction to the possibility that two of the region’s most notorious fugitives might be returned to the United States ranged from skepticism and guarded optimism to a belief that the talks represent a potential breakthrough between two nations that have barely spoken to each other for more than half a century.

“I think it’s very encouraging. It’s an example that these two sides have found a way to cooperate on issues that are very hard,” said Ted Piccone, a senior fellow and Cuban expert at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

“I’m always hopeful, but I’m afraid to be too hopeful,” said Mary Connor Tully of Fair Lawn, whose husband, Frank, was 33 when he was killed along with three others in the attack on at the Fraunces Tavern, which is widely believed to have been orchestrated by Morales

Connor’s son, Joseph, of Glen Rock, said he was skeptical of the timing of Wednesday’s State Department statement. He said he viewed the announcement of possible talks over Chesimard and Morales as an attempt by the White House to “placate” critics of Obama’s decision a day earlier to remove Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

“I’m not buying it,” Joseph Connor said of the possible extradition of Morales, a key figure in the Puerto Rican nationalist group known as the Armed Forces of National Liberation or FALN.

“I’ve been down this road for 20 years,” he added. “It’s better than them saying it’s not happening. But I think it’s a way to put people off.”

Col. Rick Fuentes, the New Jersey State Police superintendent, said he took the State Department announcement to be a positive sign that the White House was listening to appeals from law enforcement to pressure the Cubans to turn over Chesimard, Morales and others who have found haven in Cuba.

“I view these negotiations as an extraordinary opportunity to resolve the issue of Joanne Chesimard and other violent fugitives being afforded sanctuary in Cuba,” Fuentes said.

Escape from prison

Chesimard, a leader of the Black Liberation Army who now goes by the name Assata Shakur, fled to Cuba after breaking out of a New Jersey prison where she was serving a life sentence for the murder of Trooper Werner Foerster during a confrontation near Exit 9 on the Turnpike in May 1973.

Morales was never charged in the Fraunces Tavern attack. But he is widely believed by law enforcement authorities to have built the bomb that exploded at the tavern in January 1975.

Morales was about to begin serving an 89-year sentence for his role in other FALN bombings when he escaped and fled to Cuba where, as was Chesimard, he was granted political asylum by Fidel Castro.

Governor Christie, who had also called on Obama to force the Cubans to turn over Chesimard in return for the restoration of diplomatic relations with the United States, could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

“We owe it to Trooper Werner Foerster’s family and the entire law enforcement community that justice be served for convicted cop killer Joanne Chesimard by insisting she be extradited from Cuba immediately,” said Sen. Bob Menendez, who has emerged as a vocal critic of the Obama Administration’s efforts to renew ties with Cuba.

Reached at her home in Florida, Foerster’s widow, Rose, declined to comment, saying she preferred to wait until there was a clear resolution over Chesimard’s status.

“When the time comes, then I will something to say,” she said.

Exactly how the negotiations might proceed — and for how long and to what end — remained in doubt on Wednesday.

Chesimard’s lawyer, Lennox Hinds, a Rutgers professor of criminal justice, said he had been in touch recently with Cuban authorities about his client’s status and was told that her political asylum would not be revoked.

“I think it is a spin being put out by the U.S. government,” Hinds said. “I have no reason to give any credence to it.”

Morales’ attorney, Ron Kuby, the New York civil rights lawyer and talk-radio personality, said |he also doubted whether the talks between Cuba and the United States would lead to a quick extradition of his client or other fugitives.

“The Cuban government has formally granted Morales and Chesimard political asylum,” Kuby said. “And that grant of political asylum is something that the Cuban government and other nations take seriously.”

Apart from the legal entanglements involved in the talks, the potential political implications were even more murky.

“What you have now is different from what you had a week ago — the potential for a clear and diplomatic discussion over these issues,” said Peter Kornbluh, a Cuba expert at the National Security Archive at George Washington University in Washington.

But Kornbluh cautioned that, in return for the possible extradition of Chesimard, Morales and others, Cuban negotiators may ask the United States to reciprocate by extraditing a number of fugitives who fled to America to escape Cuban justice.

“I don’t know if I see a quick resolution,” he said.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Disrespectful that they refuse to call her by her chosen name.
Apr 16th 2015
*sigh* That's what you focused on?
Apr 16th 2015
      This has been a topic of debate for months. For years. And newly
Apr 16th 2015
           To my knowledge, it has only been a potential reality
Apr 17th 2015
                Wesley Cook is hospitalized!
Apr 17th 2015
                     No, I apologize to you
Apr 17th 2015
I don't know no Chesimard...
Apr 17th 2015
It's not gonna happen... People are ready to go to war over Assata
Apr 17th 2015
If by war you mean rally and post photos on social media
Apr 17th 2015
I guess it's good to know your limits
Apr 17th 2015
      take your own advice...
Apr 17th 2015
           I know more about this than you...sorry
Apr 17th 2015
                OK
Apr 17th 2015
do those ppl have nukes?
Apr 17th 2015
do you imagine they'd nuke detroit?
Apr 17th 2015
she said ppl are willing to go to 'war' over Assata's extradition.
Apr 17th 2015
      You do know there are different forms of war right? nm
Apr 17th 2015
Apr 17th 2015
                maybe as a supporter of the cause she's not trying to outline
Apr 17th 2015
Ughh really? Black folks have the capactity to stop this from
Apr 17th 2015
lol.
Apr 17th 2015
*winces*
Apr 17th 2015
or where ever snowden is...
Apr 17th 2015
      Russia.
Apr 17th 2015
better not.
Apr 17th 2015
Fuck The New Jersey State Police
Apr 17th 2015
Hope they don't get her.
Apr 17th 2015
I thought this was an offspring of the Chiraq thread at first...
Apr 17th 2015
if they really want her they'll get her.
Apr 17th 2015
far as we know---she might not ever been in Cuba.
Apr 17th 2015
They don't hear you though nm
Apr 17th 2015
*ever been = even be
Apr 17th 2015
we should have expected this.
Apr 17th 2015

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Disrespectful that they refuse to call her by her chosen name."
In response to Reply # 0

And interesting that you also use Chesimard...

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. " *sigh* That's what you focused on?"
In response to Reply # 1

I referred to her as Chesimard because that is how the article referred to her. If they called her Assata Shakur, I would have as well.

I would think that the key to it was that she may be extradited...but I guess you take from it what you will...carry on.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "This has been a topic of debate for months. For years. And newly"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Apr-16-15 11:17 PM by Hitokiri

since December. Cuba has already made their statement on it. It's been discussed to death and there's nothing to be said until/unless something new happens. Yes, the US is pushing for it. As it has long been speculated they would. But nothing has happened.

So yes, I will focus on how the article is intentionally disrespectful toward her.

And you would do much better to call her Assata in the title since that's how she is known to most people.

--

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 12:20 AM

4. "To my knowledge, it has only been a potential reality"
In response to Reply # 3

since the president's consideration of changing Cuba's trade status/terrorist nation status, which is fairly recent. Now that the political tide could possibly significantly change, the threat of her return becomes much more of a reality, hence why I thought it was a timely article.

>
>And you would do much better to call her Assata in the title
>since that's how she is known to most people.

I would do better? If I was trying to do numbers like most people here, I would post on riveting topics like "have you ever sent d*ck pics?' or "is Common a coon?" Those things are cool for some, in small doses, but occasionally a serious topic can be discussed ere in OKPland.

As far as my use of "Chesimard", tell my Africana studies teacher that, who introduced me to knowledge of her in 1987 @ Rutgers University, or tell Chuck D that, who made Chesimard a widely known name in "Rebel Without a Pause" soon after that.

____

(c) Luciano

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 12:36 AM

5. "Wesley Cook is hospitalized!"
In response to Reply # 4

The bounty on Assata was raised to a million dollars in 2005 We had this conversation then. Then in 2013 her bounty was increased to 2 million. We had this conversation then. Obama announced a resuming of diplomatic ties in December. And we had this conversation then. Cuba gave it's response. This week it's come up yet again...

So sorry I wasn't focused enough on the issue at hand for you.

--

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 02:14 AM

6. "No, I apologize to you"
In response to Reply # 5

my search function doesn't go back to 2005 or 2013, and since I'm not here everyday, I missed the December discussion. And I missed the limit on subject matter discussions to once in a lifetime.

My mistake, late pass me if you must, ask mods to delete if it makes you feel better.

____

(c) Luciano

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 02:25 AM

7. "I don't know no Chesimard..."
In response to Reply # 0

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 05:11 AM

8. "It's not gonna happen... People are ready to go to war over Assata "
In response to Reply # 0

and Mumia. Fire in the sky for real. Foh with how they call her a "fugitive." Her name is Assata Shakur. We should all be calling her by her chosen name.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:07 AM

9. "If by war you mean rally and post photos on social media"
In response to Reply # 8

I agree

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:25 AM

10. "I guess it's good to know your limits"
In response to Reply # 9

Don't speak for everyone else.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:14 AM

20. "take your own advice..."
In response to Reply # 10

all I asked was what kinda "war" were you talking about...

the rah rah sounds nice but unfortunately the chances of anyone going to any type of war over those 2 are slim to none.

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:25 AM

24. "I know more about this than you...sorry"
In response to Reply # 20

Like I said people will go to war over Assata and Mumia.

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 10:01 AM

29. "OK"
In response to Reply # 24

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:26 AM

11. "do those ppl have nukes?"
In response to Reply # 8

b/c the USA got nukes.

fuck you.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:57 AM

17. "do you imagine they'd nuke detroit?"
In response to Reply # 11

are you saying that if we mobilized to protest assata being returned to prison, the govt would blow up the protestors?

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:03 AM

18. "she said ppl are willing to go to 'war' over Assata's extradition."
In response to Reply # 17

i asked if those ppl have nuclear weapons. b/c if we're talking about war then nukes may be on the table.

i dunno if by 'ppl' she meant nation states. if so, i dunno which. the article indicates Cuba has so far stood by its grant of political asylum and that other nations stand w/Cuba on the issue. i dunno which nations. i also dunno how far those nations are willing to push the issue. will they actually go to war? i dunno.

fuck you.

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:32 AM

27. "You do know there are different forms of war right? nm"
In response to Reply # 18

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 10:09 AM

30. "#9"
In response to Reply # 27

bonitaapplebaum71481
Member since Aug 04th 2003
22576 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "maybe as a supporter of the cause she's not trying to outline "
In response to Reply # 30

a battle strategy to you

*smh*

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:29 AM

25. "Ughh really? Black folks have the capactity to stop this from "
In response to Reply # 11

happening. Stop with this self-defeating bullshit.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:15 AM

"lol."

<--- Big Baller World Order

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:27 AM

12. "*winces*"
In response to Reply # 0

i hope she runs to Venezuela or France or some other nation that won't agree to extradition.

i think Cuba may agree just to get/stay on good diplomatic terms w/the USA.

OUCH.

RUN!!!!

fuck you.

luminous
Charter member
12458 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:32 AM

13. "or where ever snowden is..."
In response to Reply # 12

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:48 AM

16. "Russia."
In response to Reply # 13

fuck you.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:36 AM

14. "better not."
In response to Reply # 0

i really mean it

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Fuck The New Jersey State Police"
In response to Reply # 0

in the GOAT ASS.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:12 AM

19. "Hope they don't get her. "
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:15 AM

21. "I thought this was an offspring of the Chiraq thread at first..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mods need to change the name in the title

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:16 AM

22. "if they really want her they'll get her."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-17-15 09:17 AM by BrooklynWHAT

and thats that.

dont think they really want that story back in the light though.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:20 AM

23. "far as we know---she might not ever been in Cuba. "
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

afrogirl_lost
3062 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:31 AM

26. "They don't hear you though nm"
In response to Reply # 23

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 10:15 AM

31. "*ever been = even be"
In response to Reply # 23
Fri Apr-17-15 10:30 AM by Fishgrease

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17847 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:53 AM

28. "we should have expected this."
In response to Reply # 0

sooner.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

Lobby General Discussion topic #12783540 Previous topic | Next topic