Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12782388

Subject: "You ever look through your white friends' Facebook friends?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 07:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"You ever look through your white friends' Facebook friends?"

I do occasionally and look like "damn, I'm the only black person this person knows."

That shit is odd. I think I'm just gonna start making up fake black stories to see how fast they float around Facebook. Like chain mail.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I know lots of black folks with < 10 white friends.
Apr 15th 2015
That too. I don't really go through my black friends' facebooks.
Apr 15th 2015
My white girl homey from florida
Apr 15th 2015
Yeah, I've got a couple white friends that are my gateway to real talk
Apr 16th 2015
The white FB friends I have are from here
Apr 16th 2015
I added some coworkers, don't know why I did, but it's been enlightening...
Apr 16th 2015
Its just the opposite for my friends
Apr 16th 2015
85% of my white friends are from HS
Apr 16th 2015
Just here to add statistics...
Apr 16th 2015
lol. I think I have maybe 6-7 Asian Facebook friends. I could name them....
Apr 16th 2015
I noticed that I am the token black friend when everyone started getting...
Apr 16th 2015
Damn Gina.
Apr 16th 2015
hee haw @ white Facebook friends.
Apr 16th 2015
You don't even hang out with white people or do Facebook
Apr 16th 2015
      LMAO!
Apr 16th 2015
Slightly related story...
Apr 16th 2015
So after you sued them for slander ...
Apr 16th 2015

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 07:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I know lots of black folks with < 10 white friends."
In response to Reply # 0

I think it actually fits in pretty well with a relatively segregated country.

MEAT
22256 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 07:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "That too. I don't really go through my black friends' facebooks."
In response to Reply # 1

I had a brother of a friend as a Facebook friend and that "people you may know" was always looking like Backpage based on his friends alone.

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49389 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 07:31 PM

2. "My white girl homey from florida"
In response to Reply # 0

She tries to say the "reasonable" moderate conservative statement on any given political topic then her racist ass friends and what not take it to the racist level and she gets all embarassed.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 08:56 AM

7. "Yeah, I've got a couple white friends that are my gateway to real talk"
In response to Reply # 2

Actually, more than a couple and it's always interesting.

I see them trying to be moderate on some topic and then some chick they know comes in with guns blazing thinking the coast is clear.

I engage every once in awhile but try to stick to statistically backed arguments rather than shouting opinions at each other. Sometimes the person on the other side is actually kinda reasonable and is willing to build... other times, they're just on that trolling shit and that's when over a decade of arguing online here and other places comes in handy.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 07:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "The white FB friends I have are from here"
In response to Reply # 0

So not really LOL
http://www.iamsharandajones.org/help

MEAT
22256 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 07:34 AM

5. "I added some coworkers, don't know why I did, but it's been enlightening..."
In response to Reply # 4

------

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 07:39 AM

6. "Its just the opposite for my friends "
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79547 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 09:08 AM

8. "85% of my white friends are from HS"
In response to Reply # 0

and no, I don't really check their pages but there was 1 dude I had to straight up hide because he is all about some Tea party shit.

I never liked that dude. Only friended him because we played sports together since we were 8.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 09:15 AM

9. "Just here to add statistics..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/25/three-quarters-of-whites-dont-have-any-non-white-friends/

By Christopher Ingraham August 25, 2014

"All my black friends have a bunch of white friends. And all my white friends have one black friend."

That's the memorable punchline of a Chris Rock bit from 2009 on interracial friendships. And according to some recent number-crunching by Robert Jones of the Public Religion Research Institute, there's a good deal of truth to that statement.

Let's consider the average white American and the average black American, and let's say, for simplicity's sake, that each of them have 100 friends. If you were to break down their respective friend networks by race, they would look something like this.

black-friends-white-friends
If you're interested in how PRRI arrived at these numbers, see the methodological note at the bottom of this post.

In a 100-friend scenario, the average white person has 91 white friends; one each of black, Latino, Asian, mixed race, and other races; and three friends of unknown race. The average black person, on the other hand, has 83 black friends, eight white friends, two Latino friends, zero Asian friends, three mixed race friends, one other race friend and four friends of unknown race.

Going back to Chris Rock's point, the average black person's friend network is eight percent white, but the average white person's network is only one percent black. To put it another way: Blacks have ten times as many black friends as white friends. But white Americans have an astonishing 91 times as many white friends as black friends.

There are a number of factors driving these numbers. Simple population counts are one of them: There are more white people than black people in the United States, so it makes sense that the average American is going to have more white friends than black friends.

Another factor is our tendency to seek out and associate with people who are similar to us in any number of ways - religiously, politically, economically and, yes, racially, too. The polite term for this phenomenon is "sorting," and it affects everything from political polarization to income inequality to the racial differences in friend networks seen above.

As PRRI's Robert Jones writes in the Atlantic, Americans' segregated social circles have influenced responses to the events in Ferguson, Mo., over the past few weeks. Polls show deep divides between blacks and whites on everything from the role of race in Ferguson to the appropriateness of responses by protestors and police.

The numbers above offer insight into why so many whites have expressed bafflement over protesters' responses to the shooting of Michael Brown. The history between many black communities and the police forces that serve them is long, complicated, often violent and characterized by an extreme imbalance of power. But as Robert Jones notes, most whites are not "socially positioned" to understand this history -- simply because they know few people who've experienced it.

To be fair, the numbers suggest there is plenty of racial self-selection in black Americans' friend networks, too. But focusing solely on black-white relations, there's a pretty big difference between having only one member of a given race in your friend network and having eight of them.

In fact, PRRI's data show that a full 75 percent of whites have "entirely white social networks without any minority presence." The same holds true for slightly less than two-thirds of black Americans.

The implication of these findings is that when we talk about race in our personal lives, we are by and large discussing it with people who look like us.

How PRRI calculated the racial breakdowns of friend networks

As part of their American Values Survey, PRRI researchers asked respondents to name up to seven people with whom they regularly discussed important matters. They then asked a battery of demographic questions about these people -- their relationships to their respondents, as well as their gender, religion and, germane for these purposes, their race. They used these numbers to derive average racial breakdowns of the friend networks of the average black, white and Hispanic survey respondent.
/swipe

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

MEAT
22256 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:25 AM

11. "lol. I think I have maybe 6-7 Asian Facebook friends. I could name them...."
In response to Reply # 9

That sucks. I have even less Indian friends.

I should go through those friends' pages based on this data.

------

brownskinbaby
Member since Aug 31st 2003
9004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:16 AM

10. "I noticed that I am the token black friend when everyone started getting..."
In response to Reply # 0

Married. I would be looking around and then notice hey I am the only black person here. How could you have lived for 30+ years and I have been the only person of color that you have gotten close enough to to invite to your wedding.

I really started to feel some kind of way about it after like the 3rd or 4th wedding.

MEAT
22256 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:29 AM

12. "Damn Gina. "
In response to Reply # 10

------

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:32 AM

13. "hee haw @ white Facebook friends. "
In response to Reply # 0

MEAT
22256 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:34 AM

15. "You don't even hang out with white people or do Facebook "
In response to Reply # 13
Thu Apr-16-15 10:34 AM by MEAT

You don't know how much beer pong and Guinness you're missing out on.

------

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:36 AM

16. "LMAO!"
In response to Reply # 15

>You don't know how much beer pong and Guinness you're missing
>out on.

You ain't lying though. It's Flip Cup and Sangria for us.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:32 AM

14. "Slightly related story..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-16-15 10:33 AM by Marbles

White cat that I went to law school lives across the bridge. He moved down here maybe 4-5 years before me so he has a group of friends & co-workers that he hangs with (all white, since the black dude moved back to Miami). When we moved here, he introduced us to that crew and we hang semi-regularly. They're a pretty cool bunch to chill with.

There's another black cat from our class that lives down here that we're tight with. And every so often, some of my other cats from law school come to visit. We tend to get everyone from school together and usually end up hanging with the white cat and his crew.

After the 3rd or 4th person from school came to visit (all black), the white dude's friends started jokingly asking him if he went to Howard Law.

MEAT
22256 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:54 AM

17. "So after you sued them for slander ..."
In response to Reply # 14

I have no idea how law works.

------

Lobby General Discussion topic #12782388 Previous topic | Next topic