Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12782370

Subject: "Help me plan this south + southwest music road trip ?" Previous topic | Next topic
jesustrauss
Member since Jul 20th 2006
1839 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 06:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help me plan this south + southwest music road trip ?"
Wed Apr-15-15 06:55 PM by jesustrauss

OKP, can you help a lurker out?

i'm planning a road trip cuz (1) i need a serious break from Oakland (born/raised and getting harder and harder to find my place here), (2) i recently decided to pursue being a musician (bassist) full time, but the Bay's music culture is lacking, and (3) i've never spent time in most places in the US that have lively music cultures and i'm tryina see what that looks like.

the timing will be June through mid July, with some flexibility around exactly where i'll be and exactly when.

i'm planning to drive south and then east, as far as Memphis & Nashville, and then back (to hit the same cities, but with having done some networking in between).

for each city, i'm looking for:
1. places to stay
2. recommendations of jam sessions
3. musical connections (musicians or people who know the scene)
4. anyone who wants to show an OKP a good time
5. other?

i'ma post cities below. let me know if you have ideas for any of those questions for any of the cities. feel free to throw other cities/towns in the hat if you think there's other places generally along the way i'm leaving out.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
City of Angels
Apr 15th 2015
Austin
Apr 15th 2015
Houston
Apr 15th 2015
NOLA
Apr 15th 2015
RE: NOLA
Apr 16th 2015
      Thanks!!
Apr 17th 2015
Memphis
Apr 15th 2015
Nashville
Apr 15th 2015
up for the morning crew
Apr 16th 2015
man i kinda really want to fly out and meet u up in NOLA
Apr 20th 2015
You should breh
May 29th 2015
No ATL? Ever thought of Asheville? For those who know about Asheville......
May 30th 2015

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 06:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "City of Angels"
In response to Reply # 0

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 06:54 PM

2. "Austin"
In response to Reply # 0

jesustrauss
1839 posts

3. "Houston"
In response to Reply # 0

jesustrauss
1839 posts

4. "NOLA"
In response to Reply # 0

Cornbread
Member since Jul 21st 2006
1150 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: NOLA"
In response to Reply # 4

1. Places to stay - This is a big Airbnb city. Options abound.

2. recommendations of jam sessions - Jam Sessions are hard to come by. Hanging out on a Monday or a Tuesday on Frenchmen Street will probably be your best bet. Avoid the Quarter. No jam sessions to be found. Also, the Old Point Bar in Algiers used to have a jam session. Not sure if they still do.

3. musical connections (musicians or people who know the scene) - Hang out at the Maple Leaf Bar (tons of history, and lots of musicians just hang there, also check out the new New Orleans Jazz Market (members of the Jazz Orchestra (Irvin Mayfield included) just hang out at the bar on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Also, Sidney's Saloon on St. Bernard and Ooh Poo Pah Doo Bar on Orleans Avenue are owned and frequented by musicians.

4. anyone who wants to show an OKP a good time - I'm down to meet up. Let me know.

5. other? When you get into town, listen to WWOZ, the local jazz station. They have the LiveWire, which tells you who is playing where every night. It is also available online. Also check out the Gambit and Where Y'at free newspapers to find out what's going on around town.

Most of the music culture around here is free or close to it. Don't be afraid to explore.

*America's Favorite*

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 02:29 AM

9. "Thanks!!"
In response to Reply # 8

this is hella helpful. i'll hit you up. peace.

jesustrauss
1839 posts

5. "Memphis"
In response to Reply # 0

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 06:55 PM

6. "Nashville"
In response to Reply # 0

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:12 AM

7. "up for the morning crew"
In response to Reply # 0

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 02:21 PM

10. "man i kinda really want to fly out and meet u up in NOLA"
In response to Reply # 0

potential unemployment notwithstanding

__

fairweather

jesustrauss
1839 posts
Fri May-29-15 07:26 PM

11. "You should breh"
In response to Reply # 10

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Sat May-30-15 11:10 AM

12. "No ATL? Ever thought of Asheville? For those who know about Asheville......"
In response to Reply # 0

would you recommend that extra distance to check out that city?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12782370 Previous topic | Next topic