Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12782018

Subject: "Bragging Rights: ‘In Living Color’ vs SNL..Who Won?" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 01:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bragging Rights: ‘In Living Color’ vs SNL..Who Won?"

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/bragging-rights-in-living-color/

Bragging Rights is a series with a single goal: to determine which member of a cast, a team, a band, or a presidential cabinet is killing it the most, years later. Our writers will take turns giving their takes on who has the bragging rights from the posse of their choosing. In this installment, Sean McIndoe reexamines one of the great upstart comedy shows of all time: In Living Color.

Twenty-five years ago today, the Fox Broadcasting Company debuted a new half-hour sketch comedy show. It was created by Keenen Ivory Wayans, with a cast largely made up of his family members and various unknowns, and it was unlike anything audiences had ever seen on prime-time broadcast television. It was called In Living Color, and it was brilliant.

By law, any American sketch comedy show must be compared to Saturday Night Live, so let’s get that out of the way right now: From the moment it debuted, In Living Color was roughly 10 times funnier and at least 100 times cooler than SNL.
Remember, this was 1990, right at the end of SNL’s Jon Lovitz–Nora Dunn era, which is to say that the show was a perfectly serviceable comedy program aimed mostly at grown-ups. It was good. It was fine. But this was before Mike Myers took over and Adam Sandler and Chris Farley showed up. If you were under the age of 30, SNL just didn’t have much there for you. Then In Living Color materialized, with an in-house DJ and dance troupe and a mostly black cast, and suddenly “Well, isn’t that special?” didn’t seem so cutting-edge anymore.

Some of In Living Color still works today; other parts, not so much.1 But at the time, the show felt different and subversive and hilarious. What we didn’t know was that it would also produce an almost ridiculously long list of future pop culture stars. In Living Color didn’t have a long run; technically, the show lasted five seasons, and the last one doesn’t even really count, because there weren’t any Wayans brothers and only a handful of the original cast was still around. But in just the four years it was on the air, you could make an excellent case that In Living Color produced more star power than any era of Saturday Night Live short of the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players.

But who ends up with bragging rights? Before we get to the top three, let’s count down the honorable mentions, in roughly increasing order of future prominence.

Tommy Davidson — One of the only cast members to perform in all five seasons, Davidson went on to appear in various other film and TV roles, maybe most notably as the voice of the dad on The Proud Family.

Anne-Marie Johnson — In addition to various other roles, including a stint on Melrose Place, she was vice-president of the Screen Actors Guild from 2005 to 2010. She ran for the presidency in 2009 but lost.

Alexandra Wentworth — Wentworth appeared from 1992 through 1994. One year later, she played Jerry’s girlfriend in Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi episode. She was also in Jerry Maguire and Office Space, and is married to George Stephanopoulos.

David Alan Grier — Grier was a successful dramatic actor before appearing on In Living Color. In the years since, he’s returned to Broadway with several productions while also making appearances on TV and film in various comedy roles. Somehow, he also managed to host Saturday Night Live once.

Heavy D — Already a successful rapper by the time In Living Color debuted, Heavy D contributed two different themes for the show, both of which are generally considered to be among the best five songs ever recorded.2 He went on to add acting to his résumé, in addition to continuing his music career and getting name-dropped on “Juicy.” He died in 2011.

Kim Coles — An original In Living Color cast member, she went on to become best known for her starring role on the Queen Latifah sitcom Living Single. If it was the early ’90s and you wanted to make a TV show that had the word “living” in the title, Kim Coles was your first phone call.

Molly Shannon — Before her long run on SNL, Shannon made a handful of appearances on In Living Color.

Larry Wilmore — Wilmore was a writer on the show but never had much screen time (although his brother Marc was part of the cast). Earlier this year, he replaced Stephen Colbert on Comedy Central with The Nightly Show.

Damon Wayans — A former SNL cast member3 and the creator of In Living Color’s best recurring character, Homey D. Clown,4 Wayans spent much of the mid-’90s balancing a stand-up career with reasonably successful films like Major Payne and Blankman, and then found sitcom success on My Wife and Kids, which he created and starred in.

Carrie Ann Inaba — I’ll admit that I’d never heard of this person, but she’s apparently a judge on a show called Dancing With the Stars that my wife says I should pretend to be vaguely familiar with if I’m going to write stuff for a pop culture blog. Inaba was also one of the original Fly Girls, the show’s dance troupe. They’ll come up again.

Keenen Ivory Wayans — The show’s creator and host, Wayans went on to a successful career as a director of films, including several starring his brothers. He also briefly hosted his own talk show in the late ’90s, but who didn’t?

Shawn Wayans — Originally the show’s DJ (billed as “SW-1”), he’s since gone on to team with his younger brother Marlon to make films like Scary Movie and White Chicks that get terrible reviews but make lots of money.

Kelly Coffield — A seasoned comedic actress who could play just about anything, Coffield was basically the Phil Hartman “glue guy” of In Living Color’s early years. She went on to appear in various movies and a couple episodes of Seinfeld, which may not seem like much, but screw you, because I was basically in love with her in 1991, so I will rank her as high as I damn well please.

Rosie Perez — Perez was the Fly Girls’ choreographer for the show’s first three seasons. During that time, she landed her breakout role in White Men Can’t Jump, which came out in 1992. She’s now one of the hosts of The View.

Chris Rock — By 1993, In Living Color was so much cooler than Saturday Night Live that Rock basically quit SNL to join the competition. He went on to become one of the biggest stand-up comedians in the world, not to mention a reasonably successful movie star.

That’s a hell of a lineup for a relatively short-lived show. But we’ve still got the big three to get to.

Gold Medal: Jennifer Lopez

It has to be J.Lo, right? She joined the show in the third season as a member of the Fly Girls, stayed until the end two years later, and then went on to become just about the biggest celebrity in the world. No big deal, really. Here she is making her In Living Color debut.

You know what came next. Her big breakthrough happened in 1997 with Selena, “If You Had My Love” came out in 1999, and next you thing you know, Puff Daddy is following her around and she’s running the world, right up until Gigli.

But would any of it have been possible without that breakout role on In Living Color? Well … yeah, probably. There’s just no stopping some people. But we can still say we knew her way back when.

Silver Medal: Jim Carrey

Jim Carrey (or “James Carrey,” as he was originally known) was unquestionably In Living Color’s first big breakout star. He created some of the show’s most memorable characters, including Fire Marshal Bill and Vera de Milo. He also used the show’s patented musical parodies to pretty much single-handedly kill off the career of the world’s biggest pop stars, but we all agreed to pretend that era never happened.

Carrey’s rise to full-fledged stardom came even before In Living Color went off the air, when Ace Ventura: Pet Detective hit screens in February 1994. It was an unexpected hit and the first leg in a ridiculous three-movie package that also included Dumb and Dumber and The Mask, which all came out in 1994 and added up to one of the single best box-office years any actor has ever enjoyed.

Carrey stumbled a bit with Batman Forever, and The Cable Guy wasn’t for everyone, but there wasn’t a more bankable comedic actor in the mid-’90s. He then went through the mandatory “funny guy tries to prove he can do drama” phase, and kinda-sorta pulled it off with movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind before eventually making his way back to the Dumb and Dumber franchise last year. He’s not the marquee name he once was, but considering it’s been two decades since he was at his peak, he’s had a pretty remarkable run. And it all got started with a fireman who wanted to show you something.

Bronze Medal: Jamie Foxx

Here’s how ridiculous In Living Color was: In 40 years, no former full-time SNL cast member has ever won an Oscar. Not one. And yet the In Living Color cast member who went on to win Best Actor — oh, and a few Grammys to go with it — manages only to take home the bronze. Yeah, this was a tough field.

Foxx joined the cast in Season 3 — you can see him being introduced in that J.Lo clip up above — and quickly became one of the show’s stars, impersonating Prince and squaring off with Tupac. But he was probably best known for Wanda, the nontraditionally beautiful lady who never quite found that love of her life.

Foxx got his own sitcom in 1996 and went on to a movie career that included a film in which he listens to the greatest motivational speech of all time. He has also dabbled in music as both a performer and a producer.

In 2004, he became just the 10th person (and third man) to pick up two Oscar nominations for acting in the same year,5 earning a supporting nod for Collateral and a Best Actor nomination for Ray. He won the latter, then disappointed millions by not crossing his eyes and whispering “I got you” to the statue during his speech. To this day he’s still killing it in films like Django Unchained. He also occasionally wins Grammys with Kanye, because why not.

For just about any other show, that would make him an easy choice for the most successful alumnus and it wouldn’t be close. On In Living Color, it’s good for a solid third place, because this show was that loaded. And that’s pretty hard to beat, even if you’re twirling a sock full of pennies.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah, for a five year run, their legacy >>>>>>>>>
Apr 15th 2015
no.
Apr 15th 2015
      For the last 25 years, yep. No question.
Apr 15th 2015
           When In Living Color was running SNL had a great stretch
Apr 19th 2015
Yeah, I think it's pretty well accepted ILC sons SNL
Apr 15th 2015
How 'In Living Color' broke sketch comedy's race barrier (SWIPE)
Apr 15th 2015
i'm biased: ILC
Apr 15th 2015
ah. i get it.
Apr 15th 2015
basically...
Apr 15th 2015
      there are too many SNL alumni for this to be a fair competition.
Apr 15th 2015
      You can count the shitty ILC alum on hand. There are dozens of bad
Apr 15th 2015
           bragging rights. which show introduced more stars?
Apr 15th 2015
                Im laughing at the wording
Apr 15th 2015
                uh huh.
Apr 15th 2015
                SNL has been on for 40 years....ILC was on 5 years....
Apr 15th 2015
                     see #7. and Mad TV vs In Living Color is a more apt comparison.
Apr 15th 2015
      Yeah, SNL just has too many years.
Apr 15th 2015
           yup.
Apr 15th 2015
           there is no way to compare 5 seasons to 40
Apr 16th 2015
           A list of some of SNL writers alone eclipse most of ILC
Apr 17th 2015
I'd toss in this thought
Apr 15th 2015
SNL runs tv.
Apr 15th 2015
More accurately, Lorne
Apr 15th 2015
and that is why we watch cable.
Apr 15th 2015
in living color won, however they never had one Eddie Murphy
Apr 16th 2015
again in spite of
Apr 16th 2015
this is simply not true
Apr 16th 2015
      that man can't stand them for a reason
Apr 16th 2015
           ...he stated his reason for the cold war between him and SNL.
Apr 16th 2015
                Lorne didn't hire eddie
Apr 16th 2015
                     and my point stands.
Apr 16th 2015
                          your point is a strawman
Apr 16th 2015
                               ...I was rebutting a point YOU made, player.
Apr 16th 2015
                                    nah
Apr 17th 2015
Eddie's an outlier.
Apr 16th 2015
doesn't matter.
Apr 16th 2015
they don't want to hear reality
Apr 16th 2015
      it is widely acknowledged that Eddie saved SNL
Apr 16th 2015
           yeah that in dispute
Apr 16th 2015
                It's not reasonably or convincingly disputed.
Apr 16th 2015
                     by ya'll
Apr 17th 2015
Jim Carey was their Murphy
Apr 16th 2015
      naw because while Carey was big, carey was never eddie big
Apr 16th 2015
      What u wrote is common knowledge. And Carey was their Murphy
Apr 16th 2015
           how he gonna be there Murphy when he wasn't half of it?
Apr 18th 2015
                god damn will you chill out farakahn? I didnt say he was EQUAL to Murphy
Apr 18th 2015
      agreed
Apr 16th 2015
      James Carey
Apr 27th 2015
It's crazy to think about some of the shit they got away with
Apr 16th 2015
The better question is Does SNL have a 5 year run that matches ILC's?
Apr 16th 2015
I thought that was the point of the article/link
Apr 16th 2015
i thought the point was to figure which show has produced
Apr 16th 2015
how would you even quantify that?
Apr 16th 2015
valid points but sketch show vs sketch show seems how they doin it
Apr 16th 2015
good question
Apr 16th 2015
Apr 17th 2015
many of those ILC skits don't hold up well to me...
Apr 16th 2015
most sketch comedy doesn't hold up
Apr 16th 2015
Kelly Coffield. I wanted her to be a bigger star. she was funny as sh*t....
Apr 16th 2015
If you check out the article I posted in #3 above
Apr 16th 2015
      I've seen here in a bunch of roles in the past 20+ yrs...I just
Apr 17th 2015
Yeah, there no world where SNL doesn't "win"
Apr 16th 2015
purty much.
Apr 16th 2015
Yeah. And arguing otherwise makes you look really silly.
Apr 16th 2015
      Yep. Same for peak SNL, too.
Apr 16th 2015
           #44. Same with Chappelle
Apr 16th 2015
           ^^ all true.
Apr 16th 2015
           That isn't Peak SNL
Apr 27th 2015
Why are these even being compared?
Apr 16th 2015
you made our point with that list
Apr 17th 2015
RE: Why are these even being compared?
Apr 17th 2015
      oh...SNL then
Apr 17th 2015
more white people liked snl i loved ilc tho!
Apr 17th 2015
pretty much
Apr 17th 2015

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Yeah, for a five year run, their legacy >>>>>>>>>"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-15-15 01:54 PM by -DJ R-Tistic-

SNL has been around way way way longer, and produced more stars overall. But for the last 25 years, In Living Color wins for surely.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 05:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "no."
In response to Reply # 1

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 05:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "For the last 25 years, yep. No question."
In response to Reply # 11

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 03:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
72. "When In Living Color was running SNL had a great stretch"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun Apr-19-15 03:16 AM by ConcreteCharlie

Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, Kevin Nealon, et al. It was just as a star-packed and the material was good. The supporting cast members were also better. And of course you had killer material from the hosts (from Walken to Jordan), which wasn't the case with ILC. It was like having a new ringer every week.

I loved in Living Color and I watched both every week at the time. I don't think it's really a fair comparison, In Living Color had a unique identity and a different target audience.

Some In Living Color was ahead of its time, some of it was very dated. A lot of it was funny.

If I were forced to choose I might give the edge to SNL based solely on that time period being the peak of Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy. About three quarters of those made me laugh hard.

That's just head to head during those five years. You also have to weigh the earlier era, 70s shit that was killer. And then also the other 15+ years that were just plain shitty, too. That is another reason I think it's an awkward comparison. Obviously on average you would have take ILC, it was good for most of five years, but it's not fair to expect that over 25+ from SNL or to expect as much volume from ILC. Just two great shows that should be celebrated because sketch comedy is so tough to pull off for any length of time.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yeah, I think it's pretty well accepted ILC sons SNL"
In response to Reply # 0

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:08 PM

3. "How 'In Living Color' broke sketch comedy's race barrier (SWIPE)"
In response to Reply # 0

Interesting Excerpt:

"Three years ago, around the time the entire cast reunited to be honored at the 10th annual TV Land Awards, there was an attempt to reboot "In Living Color" as two specials. New talent would be intermingled with some from the old team in an attempt to, once again, feed a starved point of view. Davidson and Grier were involved, as was Damon, with Keenen spearheading once again. But it was ill-fated. Davidson says Keenen was having trouble finding the right spark of talent that clicked on the level of that original cast, but Damon reveals further dispute with the network.

"I was going to do it and then Fox took these incredibly confrontational stances," he says. "They wanted to own any new characters that I did. They only wanted to pay me $2,500 to do two specials. When I left I was making $75,000 per sketch — in 1992. So, you know, you want me to take a pay cut? And I wasn't asking for what I was making back then, but guys, you've got to give me some sort of incentive. I wrote like 10 sketches that were really funny, new characters. They go, 'OK, we own those new characters.' So I had to say, 'Get the f--k out of here.'"

FULL SWIPE:

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/how-in-living-color-broke-sketch-comedys-race-barrier/single-page

How 'In Living Color' broke sketch comedy's race barrier

By Kristopher Tapley @kristapley | Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 12:01 AM

In the summer of 1989, while Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" was sounding a thunderclap in cinemas, a troupe of largely black actors and comedians came together on a Fox sound stage in Century City to produce a sketch comedy show aimed at representing a minority point of view that had been underrepresented by the medium. With producer Keenen Ivory Wayans at the helm, fresh off the success of his 1988 Blaxploitation parody film "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka," eight individuals — a then-unknown Jim Carrey along with Kelly Coffield, Kim Coles, Tommy Davidson, David Alan Grier, T'Keyah "Crystal" Keymáh and Wayans' siblings Damon and Kim — filmed the first episodes of "In Living Color." The show debuted on April 15, 1990, and 25 years later, Damon Wayans can't help but remember first and foremost that he had hair back then.

"I remember the pain of getting fired from 'Saturday Night Live' and feeling that I needed redemption," he adds by phone, recalling his short-lived tenure on NBC's flagship sketch comedy show. "I was really passionate about doing stand-up and playing around doing characters on stage."

In just its third year of existence in 1989, Fox had already shown a brief history of defying convention. Joan Rivers had briefly taken up residence opposite "The Tonight Show" on the late night battlefield and Arsenio Hall would follow soon after as the first black entertainer in the space. Meanwhile, sitcoms like "Married… with Children" stood out from the fray with unique content while variety series like "The Tracey Ullman Show" played with format. From the latter (via a series of animated shorts) sprang "The Simpsons," which drew criticism from some parents and conservatives who felt its rebellious central character Bart Simpson was a poor role model for children. No sketch show that wasn't "Saturday Night Live" had been a lasting success, so the risk of "In Living Color" was right at home in the new network's programming.

Kim Wayans was working as an executive assistant at an oil corporation in downtown Los Angeles when she got the call from her brother to join the cast. "I thought it was great — I could stop working temp and start making some real money," she exclaims.

Keenen also recruited brother Shawn as the show's in-house DJ SW1, a cultural answer to "Saturday Night Live's" house band at a time when hip-hop was taking hold outside its own niche. (Musical acts such as Leaders of the New School, MC Lyte, Big Daddy Kane and Queen Latifah would often close out episodes with live performances, while Heavy D & The Boyz provided the show with its catchy theme song.)

The rest of the team came largely from the worlds of theater and stand-up. Tommy Davidson, in fact, knew Keenen along with Damon, Carrey and Grier from the comedy club circuit.

"I had just come off of development hell and a failed pilot, so I turned it down initially," he says. "And then my agent told me, 'Why don't you just audition for the show? If you don't get it you don't get it. What's it going to hurt?' So I auditioned and it didn't go well. I didn't know what I was doing. I wasn't an improv artist per se. But then they had a stand-up audition and once I did stand-up, it was over. There were 30 of the best comics in town and I kicked ass."

Kelly Coffield, however, was fresh out of the Goodman School of Drama in Chicago with zero comedy experience when she auditioned. She went into it expecting nothing, thinking the series didn't approach her own skill set.

"I may have had a little bit of an easier time at the audition because I didn't really think there was anything at stake," she says. "I was too ignorant to realize what it really even was that I was auditioning for. So I had a really great time. I just thought it was a hoot."

Others weren't as versed in the business, however. T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh, for instance, recalls with some pain the experience of seeing her very personal audition piece, "Black World," turned into material for the show without her name initially attached as a writer. She says she had to fight for a specialty writing credit on the sketch, which featured Keymáh as Crissy, a young girl pretending to live in a world dominated by people of color, free of prejudice and persecution.

"It didn't occur to me that that piece would ever be on the show," she recalls of auditioning the character. "I could tell that they taped the audition and copied down what they thought I said or whatever, but I didn't consciously bring it to the show. But in that I see symbolism of people that will take something that they think is precious and steal it, rather than ask for it and be honorable. So that was my introduction 'In Living Color.'"

(Keenen refutes the notion that the sketch was stolen, reasserting in a statement that "Black World" was "written and performed by T'Keyah and she is credited; all you have to do is watch the episode.")

One of only four cast members to stay with the series all five seasons, and the only female, Keymáh says she didn't have an agent during her time there. When the first season received a Primetime Emmy nomination for writing, "Black World" was one of the few pieces specifically mentioned in the press, she says, but hers was not one of the 17 names listed for the award.

"I spent a great deal of time in my dressing room crying," she says. "But I took it all in. I learned a whole lot about television, about networks, about people and how to work as an ensemble and the politics of television. I learned the best way for me to conduct myself and to stand up for myself no matter what."

"In Living Color" was ultimately a different show than "Saturday Night Live." Rather than a week's preparation and a 90-minute live sprint, the product was crafted through editing. It was filmed in front of a live audience, though, with tapings often running into the wee hours of the morning. Most notable was its difference from NBC's goliath in creative bedrock philosophy.

"'Saturday Night Live' was more of a writer-driven show," Damon says. "The writers had all of the power. 'In Living Color' was more character-driven. Keenen wanted the actors to feel good about what they were doing, so we would have them come in and pitch characters. 'Who do you want to do?' 'Oh, this is my aunt. She does this, this and this.' Then they would do it and Keenen would say, 'That's a character right there. Write this sketch.' And then we'd figure out, you know, what is the scenario for this character? So the actor would sit down with the writers and kind of gang bang the concept."

Says Davidson, "It was like being in detention with all the class clowns. We'd walk around goofing off. On the downtime we'd be playing and talking about movies and singing, and Keenen would go, 'Write that down. Write that down. That's funny, but write it down. That's funny, but write that down.'"

However, it took some time to evolve to that place, according to Keymáh. "In the beginning, it was quite the opposite — we weren't encouraged to do anything," she says. "Keenen would say, 'No, no, we've got this. We have a staff of writers. They're very talented.' And they went through writers like water. But later it became a bit of a mandate: 'If you want to get on the show, you've got to pitch characters.'"

Often characters "would be based on people we knew or people we had been in contact with," Kim says. "And Keenan was always emphasizing to us that part of building a character is, in fact, giving the character truth and some heart."

More to the point, Damon notes that truly relatable black point of view was not on television at the time, and had been largely absent from the small screen since NBC's "The Richard Pryor Show" over a decade before. "Like a real, honest-to-God, urban, this-is-what-they're-thinking-on-the-corner kind of show," he says. "That voice and that void actually made our show super popular in ghettos around the world. Crime rate would go down when we came on, statistically. That's pretty cool, to know that people would rather watch us and laugh than go out and hurt somebody. The crime rate went right back up when it was over!"

Inevitably, a show staking out new terrain is bound to find itself in controversial waters, and "In Living Color" was no exception. Tension with the network began with a highly rated Super Bowl Halftime Show special in January of 1992. During the popular recurring sketch "Men On…," with the Washington Redskins leading the Buffalo Bills 17 to zero, Damon and Grier ad libbed suggestions that actor Richard Gere and Olympic athlete Carl Lewis were homosexuals. Segments in other episodes made light of date rape and prison rape. Fox censors muted lines or cut segments from reruns altogether in response. But that's where Keenen and his team wanted to be, on the edge of primetime, network comedy.

"Their agenda was not the show's agenda," Damon says of the censors. "And then a lot of it was sponsors. I think we had like 30 million people tune in to watch the halftime show, and a brand got offended. So they really came down on us after that. We brought them the biggest ratings they had ever had and we got penalized. So I think there was a breakdown. Because Keenen felt like, 'I gave you guys ratings. What are you tripping over?'"

Much of the content produced on the show, sketches like "Handi Man" (depicting the adventures of a handicapped superhero portrayed by Damon) or perhaps even "Men On…" (starring Damon and Grier as flamboyant homosexual critics) would draw even more fire in today's politically correct society, pressure-cooked by the proliferation of social media. "But it's not like we did it in the mid-'50s where people were just sort of calloused and didn't know anything about political correctness," Coffield says. "We used to get letters from people basically saying, 'Thank you so much for including me in the fun,' because we were making fun of everything and everyone. We weren't pointing a finger at anybody; we were making fun of ourselves in the process. It was very inclusive in a way that 'Saturday Night Live,' in my opinion, has gone through periods of time — because that was the sense of humor of the particular cast or that was the tone of the writers' room or whatever — of being mean-spirited, pointing a finger at how stupid everyone is. And that's not that funny to me."

Keymáh, however, saw things differently. She says she has always been conscious of what is in the media and "how it feeds us," and particularly of any negative effects it might have. "I didn't want to ever add to that," she says. "On 'In Living Color,' it was kind of a joke, but not really — I spent a lot of time complaining about scripts that were, in my opinion, over the line and stereotype and disrespectful to whatever group. At some point someone said, 'Well, if Crystal is offended, now we know it's funny! So it became kind of a bar. But I wanted to put out thoughtful pieces, and sometimes I won. Sometimes they'd say, 'OK. OK.'"

She also jokes that she didn't realize until after she left "In Living Color" that everyone in television was not on a first name basis with their censors.

Much of the cast remained insulated from the disputes Keenen regularly engaged in with Fox executives. Damon in particular says that, given his own tendencies, he was grateful that his big brother could run that brand of interference. "There's a little bit of Homey D. Clown in me where I can get so passionate about something that I'll fly the plane into the building to protect my vision," he says. "But Keenan is very strategic and plays a great game. He would tell the censors, 'Look, don't tell me I can't do something. Tell me how I can.' It was psychological warfare, because it put them in the position where they had to come with answers."

Eventually, though, the fragile relationship was too frayed to sustain. Damon left after the third season to pursue a career in film. Keenen's involvement in the fourth was limited, and by the time the fifth and final season rolled around, all of the Wayans had departed.

"My feelings, my sentiments, were definitely with the Wayans," says Coffield, who left in solidarity with them after the fourth season. "But the truth of the matter is, when Keenen left, so did the funny, in a particular way that I had a particular place in. It was very obvious that the kind of characters that I was interested in developing, there wasn't really a place at the table for them anymore. It was really, like, 'Well, that's a good character, but how about if she's completely flatulent?' I just saw it as being a very, very dry atmosphere in terms of having any kind of singular voice."

Davidson, Grier and particularly Carrey and Jamie Foxx (who was introduced at the start of the third season) became the dominant personalities as the show transitioned into its final year. "It got limited with the cast members that the network was doing stuff with," Davidson says. "It started turning into kind of a power thing of who do they want to see on TV this week, as opposed to what was funny gets on TV. We wanted more of an ensemble feel. So it was a tough thing to experience, when you're coming from a Socialist environment."

Three years ago, around the time the entire cast reunited to be honored at the 10th annual TV Land Awards, there was an attempt to reboot "In Living Color" as two specials. New talent would be intermingled with some from the old team in an attempt to, once again, feed a starved point of view. Davidson and Grier were involved, as was Damon, with Keenen spearheading once again. But it was ill-fated. Davidson says Keenen was having trouble finding the right spark of talent that clicked on the level of that original cast, but Damon reveals further dispute with the network.

"I was going to do it and then Fox took these incredibly confrontational stances," he says. "They wanted to own any new characters that I did. They only wanted to pay me $2,500 to do two specials. When I left I was making $75,000 per sketch — in 1992. So, you know, you want me to take a pay cut? And I wasn't asking for what I was making back then, but guys, you've got to give me some sort of incentive. I wrote like 10 sketches that were really funny, new characters. They go, 'OK, we own those new characters.' So I had to say, 'Get the f--k out of here.'

"It would have been good," he continues. "They should bring it back. They just need to support it. Just look at the ratings 'SNL40' got. I won't say we'd get ratings like that, but I damn sure believe that there are a couple of generations of fans that would tune in to see it, especially if it's special in terms of not just a stroke session of how good we were, but how funny we still can be. I think people would love that."

Or perhaps the legacy of "In Living Color" will be one refined to a particular era, the start of a decade that would ignite with pop cultural vibrancy, the rise of the independent film movement, the explosion of urban music in the suburbs, the introduction of a hip Presidential candidate booming saxophone on "The Arsenio Hall Show" and so on.

Davidson sees the show's legacy as "the institutionalization of color in the mainstream," he says. "After 'In Living Color,' with 'Martin' and 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' and all these shows that just came along, 'Living Single,' all these beautiful things, America actually started looking like America on TV."

Whatever the case, Coffield certainly got more than anyone out of the deal: She met her future husband, Steve Park, on the show. Park was a cast member during the third season, and though they didn't know each other well at the time, they reconnected on a play a decade later, sparks flew, and now they have two children together.

"For our paths to cross again as they did, being cast as this husband and wife, it was so fun," she says. "Maybe it was because we had this very intense experience together, no matter how well we knew each other, and then when we re-met, it just seemed so much deeper than what you typically feel when you've just met somebody for the first time. It's the greatest thing in my life."

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:11 PM

4. "i'm biased: ILC"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:14 PM

5. "ah. i get it."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-15-15 02:17 PM by SoWhat

i think SNL is going to end up coming out on top in this Bragging Rights competition. b/c of Eddie Murphy and Bill Murray and Chevy Chase and Adam Sandler.

fuck you.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:24 PM

6. "basically..."
In response to Reply # 5

..if they simply focused on impact/market share at the time, ILC might have a shot. as it stands (overall), they aren't in the same league.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:26 PM

7. "there are too many SNL alumni for this to be a fair competition."
In response to Reply # 6

fuck you.

Castro
Charter member
50742 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 10:04 PM

15. "You can count the shitty ILC alum on hand. There are dozens of bad"
In response to Reply # 7

SNL alum (and seasons).

------------------
One Hundred.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 10:28 PM

17. "bragging rights. which show introduced more stars?"
In response to Reply # 15

Eddie Murphy.
Adam Sandler.
Jimmy Fallon.
Larry David.
Will Ferrell.
Tina Fey.
Amy Poehler.
Chevy Chase.
Bill Murray.
Et al

Bragging rights.

Jamie Foxx.
Jim Carrey.
J-Lo.
Keenan Ivory Wayans.
Damon Wayans.
David Alan Grier.
...and that's it, really.

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 10:37 PM

18. "Im laughing at the wording"
In response to Reply # 17

Because specifically for its black talent
They succeeded in spite of SNL
SNL pretty much buried or held its black stars back
Snl is almost not quite a black mark(heh)on most their resumes

In that respect 'introduce'
But more cultivated black talent
ILC
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 11:30 PM

20. "uh huh."
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Apr-15-15 11:34 PM by SoWhat

sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6KgKR_J9D4

now let's do Bragging Rights - I Love Lucy vs. Martin.

fuck you.

Castro
Charter member
50742 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 11:29 PM

19. "SNL has been on for 40 years....ILC was on 5 years...."
In response to Reply # 17

------------------
One Hundred.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 11:30 PM

21. "see #7. and Mad TV vs In Living Color is a more apt comparison."
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Apr-15-15 11:32 PM by SoWhat

b/c each of those shows was on for about the same amount of time.

and clearly ILC wins there.

fuck you.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:31 PM

8. "Yeah, SNL just has too many years."
In response to Reply # 6

They can also claim Chris Rock, as well as Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon and Julia Louis Dreyfus. They gave ILC credit for writers, which means SNL also gets Conan and Colbert.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:47 PM

10. "yup."
In response to Reply # 8

fuck you.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:55 AM

23. "there is no way to compare 5 seasons to 40"
In response to Reply # 8

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:05 AM

60. "A list of some of SNL writers alone eclipse most of ILC"
In response to Reply # 8

Conan O'Brien
Stephen Colbert
Brian Doyle-Murray
Larry David
Christopher Guest
Harry Shearer
Robert Smigel
Carol Leifer
Rich Hall
Dave Attell
Bob Odenkirk
Adam McKay
Barry Sobel
Seth Meyers
J. B. Smoove
John Mulaney
Hannibal Buress

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:32 PM

9. "I'd toss in this thought"
In response to Reply # 0

"In Living Color" was extremely 90s. Had it been made earlier or later it would have been much different

Being in that "New Blackness Renaissance" period where Black culture/humor/aesthetic was broadly fashionable definitely helped its overall popularity, as well as being on early Fox when they were letting all kinds of "weird" things go to counter what was on the big-3 networks, was a major factor in what it was

alternately, due to its longevity SNL has different generational tones based upon the culture and the cast (example, the 70s era not-ready-for-prime-time players were a much more "wild" cast than exists now...by a HUGE stretch)

all that said, given the "know your audience" aspect - I can't see any way ILC doesn't win a comparison of the two on OKP mainly due to the current nostalgic affinity/preference for 90s stuff, in general, around here (because it existed during the formative years for most here)

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 05:28 PM

13. "SNL runs tv."
In response to Reply # 0

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 09:38 PM

14. "More accurately, Lorne"
In response to Reply # 13

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

Castro
Charter member
50742 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 10:04 PM

16. "and that is why we watch cable. "
In response to Reply # 13

------------------
One Hundred.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:35 AM

22. "in living color won, however they never had one Eddie Murphy"
In response to Reply # 0

and that alone is a tower that can't be overlooked.

Murphy still commands and folks still talking about him.

if Living color had reunion show and lets say Jamie Foxx acted in different or the Jennifer Lopez it would get a blurb, however nowhere near as much hate as Eddie Murphy got for not airing on Bill Cosby.

truth is a Cat like Eddie Murphy Birthed a living color.

he either worked with or inspired alot of there cast.

Eddie had heavy d connection as well. he was the one who got in touch with Heavy D to get in touch with Teddy Riley for Michael Jackson.

In Living color had more depth and yet there biggest acts still ain't touching one Eddie Murphy.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:01 AM

24. "again in spite of"
In response to Reply # 22
Thu Apr-16-15 11:04 AM by lfresh

eddie succeeded
barely "because of"
a whole lot more despite snl

snl getting that credit is a bit laughable
and a huge irony that he's their biggest star
that doesn't want to claim them

oh but yes thats exactly where my bias lies with ILC
i came of age with them and were WAY WAY more relevant to anything related to me since snl/eddie and way after

~~~~
~~~~

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:10 AM

25. "this is simply not true"
In response to Reply # 24

>eddie succeeded
>barely "because of"
>a whole lot more despite snl

SNL made Eddie a household name. This wasn't a case of a successful comic signing with SNL. Eddie was a virtual unknown.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:36 PM

34. "that man can't stand them for a reason"
In response to Reply # 25

they reluctantly made him a "name"
he made himself and used their platform is the reality
he busted out of there so damn fast it wasn't even funny

his comedy and movies during that time speak for itselves
their track record with black comedians also speaks loudly
~~~~
~~~~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:49 PM

35. "...he stated his reason for the cold war between him and SNL."
In response to Reply # 34
Thu Apr-16-15 12:51 PM by SoWhat

and it wasn't that ^.

it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMoJA30WF84

Eddie was upset b/c he figured those jokes had to be approved by Lorne Michaels and he didn't appreciate being made the butt of a joke @ SNL when he's an SNL alum.

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:21 PM

38. "Lorne didn't hire eddie"
In response to Reply # 35

lets start there
Lorne had nothing to do with eddie
nor his skits
lets continue there
eddie and his work saved snl
let keep continuing there
eddie in fact became so big he hosted snl WHILE A CAST MEMBER
eddie became a movie star again while on SNL WHILE LORNE WASNT THERE
eddie hosted again...WHILE LORNE WAS NOT THERE
6 years later lorne back in the saddle
SNL takes a sad shot at eddie
a bonafide star at that point

understand
the SNL who everyone else is touting in here
is not the SNL eddie was there for
again SNL did not make eddie
~~~~
~~~~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:21 PM

48. "and my point stands."
In response to Reply # 38

Eddie wasn't mad @ SNL b/c of the issues you'd raised - he was mad b/c of that joke made on the show @ his expense.

Eddie rose to stardom due in large part to his regular appearance on NBC's 'Saturday Night Live' - a show that has aired on NBC for nearly 40 yrs now. for all intents and purposes Eddie's first mainstream success came w/that show. he also starred in 48 Hours while still appearing on SNL (and his co-star Nick Nolte was supposed to be the host of SNL when Eddie filled in for him the first time Eddie hosted). he went on to star in Trading Places while still on SNL - that movie starred another SNL alum, Dan Akroyd. it can be said that Eddie was considered for both of those roles largely b/c of his work on SNL. then Eddie went on to star in Beverly Hills Cop just after his time on SNL had ended, i believe. he was supposed to star in Ghostbusters w/2 SNL alumni (Akroyd and Bill Murray) but he couldn't b/c of BHC.

again, for all intents and purposes, Eddie first hit the national radar due to his time on SNL.

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 05:05 PM

55. "your point is a strawman"
In response to Reply # 48
Thu Apr-16-15 05:07 PM by lfresh

who said anything about who what why where eddie was "mad"?

fact is what i have already stated repeatedly

SNL trying to claim eddie is a joke
period
~~~~
~~~~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 05:12 PM

57. "...I was rebutting a point YOU made, player."
In response to Reply # 55

And yes, SNL is properly credited with launching Eddie's stardom.

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:48 AM

64. "nah"
In response to Reply # 57

i didn't

and a laughable point "launch"
again eddie saved them

~~~~
~~~~

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:20 AM

27. "Eddie's an outlier."

I don't think you can give SNL too much credit for him. He's a once in a generation performer.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:22 AM

28. "doesn't matter."
In response to Reply # 27
Thu Apr-16-15 11:23 AM by SoWhat

Eddie came through SNL.

the point here is to determine which show has more bragging rights for having more stars attached to it.

SNL is the pretty clear winner by a landslide mostly b/c it's been on the air for 40 yrs and has had so many more cast members go on from the show to superstardom.

as for which show is better or which ppl prefer - that's a separate discussion. this one is just about which one has more stars attached (or produced more stars). there's no doubt.

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:25 PM

39. "they don't want to hear reality"
In response to Reply # 27

but its pretty real how it went down
and when folks give SNL in turn HIGHLY touting Lorne
they don't realize
Lorne had jack to do with Eddie
hence ipso facto the person everyone loves to credit for SNL... Lorne
had nothing to do with Eddie
hither to therefore
SNL was a blip on the eddie career track who eddie actually saved
instead of SNL doing much for Eddie
~~~~
~~~~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:23 PM

49. "it is widely acknowledged that Eddie saved SNL "
In response to Reply # 39
Thu Apr-16-15 04:27 PM by SoWhat

during those yrs when Lorne was gone. absolutely. no dispute there.

Eddie did as much for the show as the show did for him.

but there is no denying that Eddie hit the big time (aka was cast in 48 Hrs and Trading Spaces and probably Beverly Hills Cop) largely b/c he appeared on SNL.

and getting back to the point of this post - even if SNL can't be credited w/launching Eddie to stardom, the show has launched more stars than ILC and so it still wins this bragging rights competition even w/o Eddie.

*shrugs*

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 05:08 PM

56. "yeah that in dispute"
In response to Reply # 49

>Eddie did as much for the show as the show did for him.

>and getting back to the point of this post - even if SNL can't
>be credited w/launching Eddie to stardom, the show has
>launched more stars than ILC and so it still wins this
>bragging rights competition even w/o Eddie.

then stop listing eddie and arguing about it
*shrugs*
lol

~~~~
~~~~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 05:18 PM

58. "It's not reasonably or convincingly disputed."
In response to Reply # 56

There is no doubt among reasonable ppl and those who know what they're talking about.

SNL wins the bragging rights as related to which show has launched more stars. ILC is a great show and was outrageously funny - but SNL wins this one particular competition. Plenty ppl find ILC to be funnier and overall greater than SNL. That's another conversation. SNL winning the bragging rights competition as proposed by Grantland doesn't necessarily mean SNL is the better show.

fuck you.

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 10:29 AM

69. "by ya'll"
In response to Reply # 58

again y'all can't use eddie in this argument

its silly to actually
~~~~
~~~~

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:36 AM

30. "Jim Carey was their Murphy "

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:23 PM

32. "naw because while Carey was big, carey was never eddie big"
In response to Reply # 30

that much bigger than Bill Murray in his prime or Mike Myers??

i guess because Eddie had two huge stand up sets, had 4 household films in 48 hours trading places,,beverly hills cop,coming to america

and mind you man, this was just from 82-88 not even including his impact on SNL.

and a top two hit with Party the all time and the album went gold
as did his comedy albums.

like i said in truth ain't too many folks before or since seeing what Eddie accomplished.

take Jamie Foxx who has had a Eddie Murphy/Will Smith sense of cross over in said fields, however it ain't felt the same as what Eddie did IMO.

i like Carey though i always felt that tommy davidson was funnier and could do the same exact thing if given the chance.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:32 PM

33. "What u wrote is common knowledge. And Carey was their Murphy"
In response to Reply # 32
Thu Apr-16-15 12:34 PM by rdhull

>that much bigger than Bill Murray in his prime or Mike
>Myers??
>
>i guess because Eddie had two huge stand up sets, had 4
>household films in 48 hours trading places,,beverly hills
>cop,coming to america
>
>and mind you man, this was just from 82-88 not even
>including his impact on SNL.
>
>and a top two hit with Party the all time and the album went
>gold
>as did his comedy albums.
>
>like i said in truth ain't too many folks before or since
>seeing what Eddie accomplished.
>
>take Jamie Foxx who has had a Eddie Murphy/Will Smith sense of
>cross over in said fields, however it ain't felt the same as
>what Eddie did IMO.
>
>i like Carey though i always felt that tommy davidson was
>funnier and could do the same exact thing if given the
>chance.
>
>

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 02:01 AM

70. "how he gonna be there Murphy when he wasn't half of it?"
In response to Reply # 33

i just feel that is unfair to Eddie.

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 09:04 AM

71. "god damn will you chill out farakahn? I didnt say he was EQUAL to Murphy"
In response to Reply # 70
Sat Apr-18-15 09:18 AM by rdhull

I said he was THEIR Murphy

and he was..he was their breakout star who went on to make hit movies that made a bonanza at the box office for his initial decade, just like ,,,

ya know what, whatever..do you but please do it elsewhere...smh

>i just feel that is unfair to Eddie.

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:25 PM

40. "agreed"

~~~~
~~~~

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 05:30 AM

74. "James Carey"

n/m

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:18 AM

26. "It's crazy to think about some of the shit they got away with"
In response to Reply # 0

Rampant homophobia aside, had SNL done Handy Man...

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:27 AM

29. "The better question is Does SNL have a 5 year run that matches ILC's?"
In response to Reply # 0

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:37 AM

31. "I thought that was the point of the article/link"
In response to Reply # 29

>

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:51 PM

36. "i thought the point was to figure which show has produced"
In response to Reply # 31

more stars. which has more bragging rights for having discovered more talent.

fuck you.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:11 PM

37. "how would you even quantify that?"

one is a 30-min show that was taped, the other is a 90-min live show

is it a hit/miss ratio thing (lower number of dud skits)?

is it a "star power" thing (did SNL ever have as funny/strong a cast over a 5 year period)?

how could you come up with a litmus that isn't totally subjective to your personal taste of funny/successful/whatever?

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:26 PM

41. "valid points but sketch show vs sketch show seems how they doin it"
In response to Reply # 37

>one is a 30-min show that was taped, the other is a 90-min
>live show
>
>is it a hit/miss ratio thing (lower number of dud skits)?
>
>is it a "star power" thing (did SNL ever have as funny/strong
>a cast over a 5 year period)?
>
>how could you come up with a litmus that isn't totally
>subjective to your personal taste of
>funny/successful/whatever?

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 01:27 PM

42. "good question"

which 5 years would people pit against them
the fact that they would have to gather bits and pieces here and there
says a lot
~~~~
~~~~

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:45 AM

63. "#59"

There are a few five year runs in the 40 years of the show that definitely beat ILC.

The first five: Chase, Belushi, Ackroyd, Murray, Morris, Radner, Franken...etc.

82-87: Murphy, Piscopo, Dreyfus, Chris Guest, Rich Hall, Crystal, Short, Quaid, Lovits, Damon Wayans, Dennis Miller...not to mention alum that sucked on the show but became famous like Robert Downey Jr. and Joan Cusack.

90-95: Rock, Spade, Hartman, Sandler, Schneider, Nealon, Farley, McDonald...etc (The GOAT years, imho)

00-05: Ferrell, Fey, Fallon, Myers, Hammond, Parnell, Morgan, Rudolph, Shannon, Kattan, Oteri...etc.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 03:25 PM

43. "many of those ILC skits don't hold up well to me..."
In response to Reply # 0

i tried to go back a few years ago, and tapped out quickly...

i think AT THE TIME, ILC was killin em, and the only run closer to that hype was Eddie's on SNL....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 03:30 PM

44. "most sketch comedy doesn't hold up"
In response to Reply # 43

Watch any full episode of ANY 10 year old sketch comedy show, and most of the sketches will suck.

Fishgrease
34460 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 03:37 PM

45. "Kelly Coffield. I wanted her to be a bigger star. she was funny as sh*t...."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-16-15 03:37 PM by Fishgrease

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:07 PM

47. "If you check out the article I posted in #3 above"
In response to Reply # 45

you will see that she was straight out Yale Drama with no comedy experience.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Fishgrease
34460 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:21 AM

61. "I've seen here in a bunch of roles in the past 20+ yrs...I just "
In response to Reply # 47

wanted her to be a bigger star.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 03:45 PM

46. "Yeah, there no world where SNL doesn't "win""
In response to Reply # 0

ILC might have been funny. Extremely funny at times. But even they were getting kinda peaked by the mid-point of their run. And SNL's volume of successful alumni overwhelms them.

So yeah, SNL wins. Doesn't mean ILC wasn't funny, but they don't "win."

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:27 PM

50. "purty much."
In response to Reply # 46

fuck you.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:36 PM

51. "Yeah. And arguing otherwise makes you look really silly. "
In response to Reply # 46

Also, people are in here acting like ILC was 5 years of pure, uncut comedy gold. It wasn't. Sketch comedy is always hit or miss. And some of those peak ILC sketches are absolutely cringe-worthy if you watch them right now.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:52 PM

52. "Yep. Same for peak SNL, too."
In response to Reply # 51

I was watching some of the Carvey/Hartman/Nealon era stuff last weekend, and it was fucking EMBARRASSING.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:53 PM

53. "#44. Same with Chappelle"
In response to Reply # 52

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:58 PM

54. "^^ all true."
In response to Reply # 53

w/all sketch comedy shows the highs can be HIGH and the lows _low_...often w/in the same episode. it's easier for the 30 minute shows to have episodes where ALL of the skits work. TCS might've had 2 or 3 episodes like that in 3 seasons. i dunno if SNL ever did. ILC probably had a few.

fuck you.

Castro
Charter member
50742 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 02:51 AM

73. "That isn't Peak SNL"
In response to Reply # 52

------------------
One Hundred.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 09:14 PM

59. "Why are these even being compared?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-16-15 09:16 PM by bigkarma

A 90 minute, live sketch shows that has been a part of the cultural zeitgeist for 40 years versus a 30 minute, taped sketch show that was on for 5 years?

In Living Color had a good run, and produced a handful of stars, but this comparison shouldn't even be a thing.

In Living Color barely matches up against SNL if you only go by the years they were on at the same time.

SNL standout alum 90-94

Al Franken
Nora Dunn
Jon Lovitz
Dennis Miller
A. Whitney Brown
Jan Hooks
Victoria Jackson
Dana Carvey
Phil Hartman
Kevin Nealon
Ben Stiller
Mike Myers
Chris Rock
Rob Schneider
Julia Sweeney
Chris Farley
David Spade
Robert Smigel
Ellen Cleghorne
Adam Sandler
Tim Meadows
Sarah Silverman
Jay Mohr
Norm Macdonald
Chris Elliott
Janeane Garofalo
Laura Kightlinger
Michael McKean

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:49 AM

65. "you made our point with that list"
In response to Reply # 59

~~~~
~~~~

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:58 AM

67. "RE: Why are these even being compared?"
In response to Reply # 59

the first sentence of the article
Bragging Rights is a series with a single goal: to determine which member of a cast, a team, a band, or a presidential cabinet is killing it the most, years later.

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 10:06 AM

68. "oh...SNL then"
In response to Reply # 67

>the first sentence of the article
>Bragging Rights is a series with a single goal: to determine
>which member of a cast, a team, a band, or a presidential
>cabinet is killing it the most, years later.

ILC aint even around no more
still being a running show is the winningest part

~~~~
~~~~

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:22 AM

62. "more white people liked snl i loved ilc tho!"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont have colors
my mmsic:
www.soundclick.com/sylana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brb8g8f18xE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgNuVHrEKI

lfresh
92696 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:51 AM

66. "pretty much"
In response to Reply # 62

~~~~
~~~~

Lobby General Discussion topic #12782018 Previous topic | Next topic