Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12780610

Subject: "R.I.P. Percy Sledge" Previous topic | Next topic
Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"R.I.P. Percy Sledge"

http://www.katc.com/story/28797836/soul-singer-percy-sledge-dead-at-73

Soul singer Percy Sledge dead at 73
By Ian AuzenneCONNECT

Baton Rouge - Percy Sledge, the soul singer who took "When a Man Loves a Woman" to the top of the charts in 1966, died this morning at his Baton Rouge home. He was 73.
According to East Baton Rouge Parish coroner Dr. William "Beau" Clark, Sledge died of natural causes while under hospice care.

Prior to becoming a recording artist, Sledge worked as a hospital nurse. He caught his big break when he recorded "When a Man Loves a Woman." Sledge took the track, his debut single, to number-one on both the Billboard Hot 100, where it spent two weeks at the summit, and on the Billboard R&B Chart, where it held the top spot for six weeks. The song also reached the Top 10 in the United Kingdom twice--going to number-four upon its original release and reaching #2 when it was re-released in 1987. The song found new life in the United States in 1991 when Michael Bolton's cover of "When a Man Loves a Woman" topped the Billboard Hot 100.

Thursday will mark the 49th anniversary of the release of "When a Man Loves a Woman" as a single.

His other hits included "Warm and Tender Love" (Pop #17, R&B #5), "It Tears Me Up" (Pop #20, R&B #7), and "Take Time to Know Her" (Pop #11, R&B #6).

Even after his chart success fizzled, Sledge remained a fixture in the music industry, releasing albums and touring the United States to perform live in concert.

His contributions to the music industry earned him a number of awards, including a Blues Music Award, a Rhythm and Blues Foundation Pioneer Award, and induction into the Delta Music, Louisiana Music, and Rock and Roll Halls of Fame.

"He was a wonderful guy in a terrible business," said Steve Green with Artists International Management, Inc., the talent agency that represented Sledge. "He was truly a standout."

Sledge is survived by his wife and children. Funeral arrangements are pending.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i honestly only know one of his songs but its a damn good song
Apr 14th 2015
R.I.P. to my buddy from the Orthopedist's office.
Apr 14th 2015
RIP, what power in his voice, great/fitting name, too.
Apr 14th 2015
r.i.p.
Apr 14th 2015

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i honestly only know one of his songs but its a damn good song"
In response to Reply # 0

RIP

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "R.I.P. to my buddy from the Orthopedist's office."
In response to Reply # 0

We both went to Dr. Kilroy in BR back in the early to mid-90s. And were always there at the same time, seemingly. Of course, my mom had to explain who he was to me.

I'll always remember him as a really nice man and very down to earth.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:49 PM

3. "RIP, what power in his voice, great/fitting name, too."
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 02:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "r.i.p."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12780610 Previous topic | Next topic