Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12780500

Subject: "ATL: 3 APS administrators get 7 years...SEVEN. [link]" Previous topic | Next topic
placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"ATL: 3 APS administrators get 7 years...SEVEN. [link]"
Tue Apr-14-15 10:36 AM by placee_22

http://news.blog.ajc.com/category/atlanta-public-schools/

I'm taking that deal if I'm them. IDK WTF kinda advice they got, but it was wrong.

EDIT: The three that got 7 yrs weren't classroom teachers, but central office personnel.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
One of them, Sharon Davis-Williams, just got 20 years.
Apr 14th 2015
Tamara Coleman, 20 years.
Apr 14th 2015
Oh, I see. 20 yrs 13 yrs probation
Apr 14th 2015
      I think some of them are getting 7 yrs flat. Others 7 + 13 probation
Apr 14th 2015
Donald Bullock was like...NOPE! Gimme that deal your honor.
Apr 14th 2015
fuck you Georgia!!!
Apr 14th 2015
I don't understand
Apr 14th 2015
why shouldn't they go to jail tho?
Apr 14th 2015
      this is what I don't understand
Apr 14th 2015
           And a ton of other teachers just maned up and admitted it
Apr 14th 2015
I feel Sick about this. It's Racist and Political.
Apr 14th 2015
we really need some sentencing guideline reform....
Apr 14th 2015
apparently the defendants had multiple chances,
Apr 14th 2015
killer cops walk but we throw the book @ teachers #murica
Apr 14th 2015
each one, teach one
Apr 14th 2015
Aptitude testing is evil, but I have little sympathy here
Apr 14th 2015
reminds me of a friend who didn't take the plea of 3 to 5
Apr 14th 2015
      It's just silly that they fought this to this stage and are now upset
Apr 14th 2015
I think 1 year was the most the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse
Apr 14th 2015
but Lynndie England wasn't charged in Fulton County
Apr 14th 2015
      Cause justice and fairness is a jurisdiction by Jurisdiction question.
Apr 14th 2015
           I meant "isn't".
Apr 14th 2015
they along with their attorneys are idiots
Apr 14th 2015
while i do think the charges and sentence are excessive
Apr 14th 2015
re: not proficient for their grade but got a pass to slide though
Apr 15th 2015
      yup
Apr 15th 2015
should have taken the deals
Apr 14th 2015
basically. judge was like you know you done fucked up right?
Apr 14th 2015

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "One of them, Sharon Davis-Williams, just got 20 years."
In response to Reply # 0

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Tamara Coleman, 20 years."
In response to Reply # 0

placee_22
12956 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Oh, I see. 20 yrs 13 yrs probation"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Apr-14-15 10:50 AM by placee_22

b.Touch
20514 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:52 AM

4. "I think some of them are getting 7 yrs flat. Others 7 + 13 probation"
In response to Reply # 3

placee_22
12956 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:54 AM

5. "Donald Bullock was like...NOPE! Gimme that deal your honor. "
In response to Reply # 0

http://news.blog.ajc.com/2015/04/14/aps-sentencing-defendant-donald-bullock/

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:55 AM

6. "fuck you Georgia!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:07 AM

7. "I don't understand"
In response to Reply # 0

what benefit there is to jailing these folks. seems like they're being made examples for others, but it won't matter if the school system and testing priorities change so that its not so incentive based.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 02:15 PM

20. "why shouldn't they go to jail tho?"
In response to Reply # 7

i mean to be honest, i dont know much about the case, but they stole money no?

MzOnyxVI
Charter member
5146 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 03:49 PM

22. "this is what I don't understand"
In response to Reply # 20

people are oversimplifying this case

'they changed test scores'

yes

but they also prevented hundreds of thousands of dollars in aid from being used at certain schools to help kids who REALLY, REALLY needed it

they accepted bonuses based on lies

and did NOT serve the kids they were hired to serve

why is this okay?

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 04:06 PM

23. "And a ton of other teachers just maned up and admitted it"
In response to Reply # 22

These few decided to fight it the obvious, and guess what?

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:18 AM

8. "I feel Sick about this. It's Racist and Political. "
In response to Reply # 0

On The Atlanta Public School Scandal

This is by far the most willful example of a miscarriage of justice in the name of seeking justice. So far teachers have been sentence from 1 yr, 2 yrs, 5 yrs (serve 1, 5 yrs probation, $1000 fine), 7 yrs and 20 yrs (serve 7). The DA is giving people 5 yrs probation and 1 year home confinement 7pm-7am (that's a trap). All of this is for teachers being involved with cheating practices on a state test that fails prove anything in the first place. This is the same testing platform that has to be revised constantly.

The D.A.'s office should be ashamed of this matter and its tactics in an effort to gain point with politicians. The DA never wanted justice, he just wanted retribution.

The Fulton County Superior Court Judge is taking this APS case personal. He's overly theatrical, disrespectful, and emotional. And I hope that he is thoroughly investigated after this is over. As I watch the live sentencing he is clearly displaying grave amount of hubris. The fact that he called the APS scandal "The sickest things that's ever happen to this town." is crazy and just plain wrong. This judge wanted people to accept a plea deal that waived their right to an appeal. WHAT! And the DA created the plea.

Yes, the teachers should be punished for their actions, but these sentences are crazy.
"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:35 AM

9. "we really need some sentencing guideline reform...."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Kevin26_2
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
17740 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "apparently the defendants had multiple chances, "
In response to Reply # 0

after the verdict was given, to arrive at a deal. the judge signaled that anyone who didnt take a deal would get a harsh sentence. some of the defendants, against all common sense, decided to roll the dice. and they lost, big time. sometimes you just have to take the deal.

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:44 AM

11. "killer cops walk but we throw the book @ teachers #murica"
In response to Reply # 0

good job

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

legsdiamond
79607 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:02 PM

14. "each one, teach one"
In response to Reply # 11

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:49 AM

12. "Aptitude testing is evil, but I have little sympathy here"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 11:51 AM by B9

There are avenues and ways to affect change in regards to standardized testing; conspiring to change scores to pass under-prepared students and inflate school achievement numbers isn't one of them. Backing what they did and on the scale they did it is as shitty and wrong as that approach to teacher/student assessment. What's worse, by dragging this along as far as this handful of pig-headed dumbasses did, they lost the chance for that dialogue. Remember, when this all started back in 2011, there were 216 (!) teachers and administrators implicated in the scandal. Most quickly admitted to what they had done and all of them faced paltry punishment in comparison to today's sentencing.

But for four years now, the remaining few were offered ranges of deals by the state that they refused to listen to, and Cotmam in particular wasted so much of the county's time and money with frivolous motions. Even after their verdicts, they refused to take the last-second deals on offer despite Baxter and the DA pleading for them to do so multiple times. Had they entered guilty please way back in 2011 or fessed up like so many of their colleagues did, this would already be past them.

So, no. I really don't give a damn other than the amount of time and money the county is going to have to waste, again, hearing the appeals.

legsdiamond
79607 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:04 PM

15. "reminds me of a friend who didn't take the plea of 3 to 5"
In response to Reply # 12

and got hit with 15. Dude was 6'3" Black as night and beat the shit out of a white girl in Western PA.

But somehow thought he would beat it because he grew up rich and never heard the word no.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:03 PM

17. "It's just silly that they fought this to this stage and are now upset "
In response to Reply # 15

about sentencing. Clear as day pretty early on that they were caught, other people rolled on them and they had no chance of winning, but they kept on keeping on without taking a deal or changing their plea.
So, yeah, I'm not going to waste my time getting upset at the sentencing when they knew what was headed toward them.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:49 AM

13. "I think 1 year was the most the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse"
In response to Reply # 0

soldiers received.

This countries loves to throw negroes in jail.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:43 PM

16. "but Lynndie England wasn't charged in Fulton County"
In response to Reply # 13

i don't see how what happened in one jurisdiction has to do with the price of tea in another

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:35 PM

19. "Cause justice and fairness is a jurisdiction by Jurisdiction question. "
In response to Reply # 16

What's fair and just in Atlanta is also fair and just in kalamazoo.

Regardless of jurisdictional differences, If I kill a man in New York shouldn't I expect more time then for running a red light in detroit?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 03:21 PM

21. "I meant "isn't". "
In response to Reply # 19

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:04 PM

18. "they along with their attorneys are idiots "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 01:06 PM by JAESCOTT777

They had a deal on the table since last year

And still dragged this shit on
Wasting all this time and money

I think they just assumed al or Jessie
Was gonna pop up on that horse

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 04:13 PM

24. "while i do think the charges and sentence are excessive"
In response to Reply # 0

there's probably thousands of kids who are ill equipped now because of them. kids who were not proficient for their grade but got a pass to slide though. maybe subsequent years of schooling got them caught up to speed but how likely is that?

idealistically, it would be great to see "justice" dealt to those who damage children but it's so arbitrary and given this is probably happening everywhere, i don't find it to be fair or really effective. especially when you think about crimes that are violent or robbed folks of their future as well yet went uncharged or were given slaps on the wrist

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 07:57 AM

27. "re: not proficient for their grade but got a pass to slide though"
In response to Reply # 24

that happens in failing schools in every major city in america...

whether teachers are changing scores or not

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

legsdiamond
79607 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 08:19 AM

28. "yup"
In response to Reply # 27

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:16 PM

25. "should have taken the deals"
In response to Reply # 0

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "basically. judge was like you know you done fucked up right?"
In response to Reply # 25

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Lobby General Discussion topic #12780500 Previous topic | Next topic