Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12780251

Subject: "More money more problems?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"More money more problems?"

I've been with the same company for three years in May. There have been goods and there have been bads. The last year has been pretty good though. Took in a pot of per diem, received my Greenbelt accreditation, got a slight bump in pay, and basically only worked M-F.

A few months ago a headhunter called. The company honestly seemed solid but I didn't hear back from them until today. I didn't really plan on taking the job, but it was good to interview to keep my options open. So I asked for a lot more money.

So now with a job offerin pocket, for a lot more money, I'm conflicted. My job has stability, I like the people I work with, like the location and my career direction. But I've learned through the years that things can change on a dime.

So for those that have made career moves or not, what were some good pros & cons tools that you used to help you with decision making?

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Gotta grow.
Apr 14th 2015
I turned it down. Got home last night and talked it over
Apr 15th 2015
      great way to analyze things! yeah, passing up that vesting woulda
Apr 19th 2015
           They called to match what I'd be losing in vesting.
Apr 19th 2015
lifestyle matters...especially if you have a family
Apr 14th 2015
Made the decision last Sept to go the contractor/consultant..
Apr 15th 2015
that will be me
Apr 15th 2015
My daughter has two years of high school left...
Apr 15th 2015
RE: Made the decision last Sept to go the contractor/consultant..
Apr 16th 2015
      I feel but keep in mind that there's no real security in either...
Apr 17th 2015
           RE: I feel but keep in mind that there's no real security in either...
Apr 17th 2015
                WORD! My old company called me this morning...
Apr 22nd 2015
money isnt everything but we all have a number.
Apr 15th 2015
Do you *love* your current job?
Apr 17th 2015
I enjoy my work. I don't love any job.
Apr 17th 2015
      Would you be doing similar work at the new one?
Apr 17th 2015

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Gotta grow. "
In response to Reply # 0

That's how I've approached all career moves. If the employer is solid, the position is permanent, and the room for growth and more learning is there, I tended to take a chance on it.

Of course....now that I have more responsibilities, i'm less prone to take those chances

So....if youth is on your side....and minimal responsibility is on your side.....taking a chance might be worthwhile.

"Seasons may come and your luck just may run out, and all that you'll have is some memories..."

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 12:11 PM

3. "I turned it down. Got home last night and talked it over"
In response to Reply # 1

There were some good points and some bad points. But when I got here today I thought ... I work to make money and that's a lot more money. Workplace happiness and career growth is good and all. But retiring and having a stable home life is better.

So I followed up with some questions and it wasn't worth it. Right now I work for a just cause agency, I'd be switching up to at will employment.
Additionally while the work is guaranteed for three years to the company, the job is only guaranteed for one.

I've worked since I was 18 to have options and this is the first time I've been in a position to have them; Id be giving all of that up for a relatively small pay day through that lens.

Oh and I'd have to leave 19 days before I'm fully vested here. Just giving away free money.

------

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 08:30 AM

14. "great way to analyze things! yeah, passing up that vesting woulda"
In response to Reply # 3

haunted you indeed..

"Seasons may come and your luck just may run out, and all that you'll have is some memories..."

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 03:04 PM

15. "They called to match what I'd be losing in vesting."
In response to Reply # 14

I went back and added up all of my per diems from last year. And it ended up not being as much of a pay difference as I thought.

Plus I just finished the Define phase of the DMAIC of my black belt project. Once I finish that project I'll have an eye open to really job hunt. These people were the headhunters.

------

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:45 AM

2. "lifestyle matters...especially if you have a family"
In response to Reply # 0

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Made the decision last Sept to go the contractor/consultant.."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-15-15 02:35 PM by Creole

route. I was in a similar situation with the previous gig. I loved the work. The stability was cool. I was in management. My coworkers were cool. We worked hard and played hard. I could WFH every day if I wanted to. The $$$ wasn't growing or coming as fast as my responsibilities and accomplishments were though.

It took months for them to call me after the intital screening. When they came back and I interviewed with the client, the recruiter passed along the favorable feedback. A week later, the recruiter called and told me that they wanted me at the rate I gave them. My eyes got big as ish!

Since I have been here, I wonder whether or not I have made the right choice. Some of that wondering is related to my benefits. My 401k is funded solely by me at this stage. No employer match. I got a 6% match before I left and was fully vested. My benefits are all funded by me. No employer contributions on medical, dental, vision, and all other insurances. PTO? Nope. I was at 15 days per year. It's built into my rate. Sick leave? Nope. Built into my rate. Hard to wrap my mind around not getting paid if I don't go to work.

Senior Director from my old spot has called me. They would like for me to come back. becasue of what I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I am considering it. Called former coworkers who left the company but went back to get an idea about the %%% of $$$ they're making now over what they were making when they left. A few of them are at 30+% higher. So, I am seriously considering it and will probably make the move if they come up that high.

All in all, I'm just not sure if the route I took is the route I wanna take for the rest of my career.

Edit: If I go back to corporate though, I may reconsider the contractor/consultant route againwhen I hit my 50s in seven years.

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "that will be me"
In response to Reply # 4

, I may reconsider the
>contractor/consultant route againwhen I hit my 50s in seven
>years.

that is my plan
by then my kids should be out of college
so i should be good.

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "My daughter has two years of high school left..."
In response to Reply # 5

Then, college. Her mom was cool and picked her up on her benefits when I went started down this route. So, that's not too big of an issue for me right now.

It's probably easier to make the conversion to contracting/consulting later since it appears to be more difficult to land a corporate gig as one ages. So staying corporate now, would give me the ability to keep collecting that "free" 401k match before going out to grab the most $$$ I can.

Tough decisions to be made at this age and stage...

Good luck with it.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 09:48 PM

8. "RE: Made the decision last Sept to go the contractor/consultant.."
In response to Reply # 4

That's what an older co worker told me. He's 62 though. I think they offered him the job first. They called me back a few times today, offered to up the pay.

I need that security though. I'm not wanting that risk.

------

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 07:37 AM

12. "I feel but keep in mind that there's no real security in either..."
In response to Reply # 8

>I need that security though. I'm not wanting that risk.

unless you're a government employee.

I do wish you the best with whatever route you choose.

MEAT
22257 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:12 AM

13. "RE: I feel but keep in mind that there's no real security in either..."
In response to Reply # 12

I'm quasi government. Just cause termination.

------

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 08:23 AM

16. "WORD! My old company called me this morning..."
In response to Reply # 13

They wanna talk turkey. I gave them my current salary requirements, which is based on this consultant rate and factotrs in benefits, and the recruiter kept talking like it was not an issue. They wanna move fast too. So, I interview next week with a couple Senior Directors who have already stated to the recruiter they want me back ASAP.

So, this may just work out for me to get them good employer paid benefits back and to get away from the employee only joints I got now.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:48 PM

6. "money isnt everything but we all have a number. "
In response to Reply # 0

if the number you have on the table is one where you can deal with change and potentially shitty human being then go for it.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 03:20 AM

9. "Do you *love* your current job?"
In response to Reply # 0

Because if not, you'll probably feel pretty similar about the new one after 6 months (i.e. a mixture of stress, success, boredom and excitement that most people experience) - but you'll feel it with more money in your pocket.

Unless you feel like you'd be leaving a 'vocation' then do it. You don't owe any company loyalty as an employee these days.

))<>((
forever.

MEAT
22257 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 06:56 AM

10. "I enjoy my work. I don't love any job. "
In response to Reply # 9

------

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 07:06 AM

11. "Would you be doing similar work at the new one?"
In response to Reply # 10

>

))<>((
forever.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12780251 Previous topic | Next topic