Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12780185

Subject: "Death Row Record Apprciation thread" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Death Row Record Apprciation thread"

i ain't even gonna lie whenever death row put something out that meant a good uno game and a big ole pitcher of kool aid and just sitting back and listening.

now I'm looking forward to the nwa movie no doubt however a death row film would be off the fridge handle.

that documentary alone always stays getting viewed.

and i ain't gonna lie I would dig to see Suge Knight bring it back one more time because when he was focused and things were rolling no other rap boutique label intriqued me like them.

all respect to def jam, ruthless,rap alot,bad boy,cash money,murder inc.. etc.. ain't nothing as memorable as what death row put down,

a movie about Snoop,Dr Dre,2pac,Warren,G,DJ Quik,Nate Dogg,Jewel,Lady of Rage,tha dawg pound,etc...

a homie went to a pawn shop back in 97 and i remember his face got extra happy when he bought a death row chain for a 150.

that chain was cold.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Best rap label ever.
Apr 14th 2015
#badforblackpeople
Apr 14th 2015
Well, just go for it then and elaborate...
Apr 14th 2015
I hate that Rage & Danny Boy didn't get
Apr 14th 2015
They had a very very short prime, but man they owned shit
Apr 14th 2015
Man that is one of the reasons why Clive Davis
Apr 14th 2015
knew this was you when I saw the post title
Apr 14th 2015
that first Dogg Pound record was my shit
Apr 14th 2015
that album was a classic.
Apr 14th 2015
definetely an underrated album
Apr 14th 2015
      Smooth is my shit as well.
Apr 14th 2015
10 REPLIES? OKP aint got no love Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, and Death Row?!
Apr 14th 2015
nah man everybody loved deathrow
Apr 14th 2015
      Yea I'm from MA and ...
Apr 14th 2015
Curious Maxx how old are you?
Apr 14th 2015
i was a young kid back when i saw the Jacksons
Apr 15th 2015

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 07:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Best rap label ever."
In response to Reply # 0

I agree re: a Death Row movie but it's pretty much gotta be guaranteed that Suge is in jail for life before anyone would risk making a (honest) movie about that label. And I'd rather a more in depth documentary than a movie, personally. That doc that came out in 2001 or whatever it was, was really dope...but I need more info.

Anyway yea - hit after hit after hit on that label. They were more hardcore than anyone else and their music was a great combination of gangsta and chill. Every album is a gem. Great summer listening.

G-funk is my favorite rap sub-genre and Snoop is an all time favorite so the Death Row story is forever intriguing to me.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "#badforblackpeople"
In response to Reply # 0

and i am SO read to defend that reply title

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:01 AM

3. "Well, just go for it then and elaborate..."
In response to Reply # 2

>and i am SO read to defend that reply title

If you're that ready you shouldn't wait for someone like me to ask.

Anyway I think I'll probably agree with you to some extent but I'd like to see your thoughts first, of course.

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I hate that Rage & Danny Boy didn't get"
In response to Reply # 0

put out during the prime of Death Row. Each of their respective albums were hot.

had either of those dropped right before the Above The Rim soundtrack, the Row wouldve been unstoppable musically.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:35 AM

5. "They had a very very short prime, but man they owned shit"
In response to Reply # 0

Crazy that I was too young to realize how dominant they were...I just knew it was a grip of great songs out, but never really thought about the fact that they were owning the whole game.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:31 AM

7. "Man that is one of the reasons why Clive Davis"
In response to Reply # 5

set Puffy up with that loan for Bad Boy.

Suge and them had Russell Simmons running scurred. Russ and crew signed anything from Cali period.

got triple Platinum off of Warren G,and sad Warren couldn't get his stuff put on on death row.

Montell Jordan got triple plat and Russell got him out.

oh Man Suge had turkeys Scurred.

Jodecci,Mary J Bliege, were all going to Suge to get contracts down over on uptown records.
Suge was Muscle man and he got alot of things down.

back then Jimmy Iovine and his then music partner Ted Fields had no clue about the rap game, however they knew Money and Suge and Dr Dre were big time money. that is why Iovine hung on to Dr Dre after all of these years.

anyway man from Bad Boy to Murder Inc and everybody else in between death row was that benchmark.

you know about the Snoop Bidding war and how Master P had to deal with Suge and Suge got a Dollar off of every Snoop Album until Snoop was on Star Trek with Pharell and them.

Jay Z back before he hit was going out checking out Suge.

if Suge Knight ever wrote a true tell all book, it might shut down half the industry.

still amazed how Suge out hustled a cat like Dick Griffey who was the Suge of his time with Solar Records.

so many stories of things.

and folks don't mention the D.O.C. impact on death row early on.

so many cats doing things.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:22 AM

6. "knew this was you when I saw the post title"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 11:23 AM by makaveli

by far my favorite label in the history of rap music. great music that still holds up, so many talented people working on those albums. subject matter is a little eh as you get older but that shit still sounds so good. Too bad Suge couldn't take his street shit down a couple levels after he made a ton of money. A roster full of all-stars.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

MrThomas43423
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
67613 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:18 PM

8. "that first Dogg Pound record was my shit"
In response to Reply # 0

all the other shit was great too, but that was my sleeper fav album.
it's true what they say...people are strange, when you're strangers.

not compassionate....only polite.

I am not like you at all and i cannot pretend.

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:59 PM

9. "that album was a classic. "
In response to Reply # 8

blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 02:57 PM

10. "definetely an underrated album "
In response to Reply # 8

Smooth was my shit.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 09:04 PM

14. "Smooth is my shit as well."
In response to Reply # 10

That beat is ... well, smooth as fuck.

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 06:59 PM

11. "10 REPLIES? OKP aint got no love Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, and Death Row?!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 07:01 PM by Crash85

Even as a young white kid who wasn't heavy into hip hop (or really any music) at the time, Death Row was the shit... probably would feel way different if I didn't live in Cali...

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:17 PM

12. "nah man everybody loved deathrow "
In response to Reply # 11

although there was sorta a backlash around 95ish with the east/west stuff. But the Chronic and Doggystyle were popular everywhere, and rightfully so, they were unstoppable.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 09:06 PM

15. "Yea I'm from MA and ..."
In response to Reply # 12

ALL my friends, whether they liked rap or not in general, were Death Row stans. Even during the East/West BS, some people were pro Biggie but everyone, even the pro-Biggie folks were still listening to Death Row shit when it came out.

BigKato
Member since Aug 26th 2006
556 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:59 PM

13. "Curious Maxx how old are you?"
In response to Reply # 0

Listening to Death Row records playing Uno and drinking Kool Aid but in another post you say The Jacksons in '79 is the one of the best concerts you attended?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Walt Whitman

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 01:37 AM

16. "i was a young kid back when i saw the Jacksons"
In response to Reply # 13

was early 20's on the death row era.

i cover alot of bases.

however Hood Juice is timeless. Kool aid was a standard and before flavored Water this is how it went down.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12780185 Previous topic | Next topic