Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12779492

Subject: "Any of you play the guitar? Which did you learn first: chords or scales?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Any of you play the guitar? Which did you learn first: chords or scales?"
Mon Apr-13-15 12:26 PM by MEAT

Which do you (personally) use more often?

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The book I used integrated them.
Apr 13th 2015
Chords
Apr 13th 2015
the goal: to seamlessly use both simultaniously
Apr 13th 2015
both but what you focus on depends on the style of guitar
Apr 13th 2015
I haven't decided what kind of player I want to be yet. But thank you.
Apr 13th 2015
I started with scales. I woudln't suggest doing it that way
Apr 13th 2015
RE: Any of you play the guitar? Which did you learn first: chords or sca...
Apr 13th 2015
Definitely chords
Apr 14th 2015

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 12:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "The book I used integrated them."
In response to Reply # 0

I learned the high E string first, then the B string, then the G, then the G, C and D chords for those strings.

You'll probably get a handle on the cowboy chords before you get fluent with the scales, though.

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Chords"
In response to Reply # 0

And I mainly play chords... but I tend to use guitar as an accompaniment for singing mainly.

That may be highly influenced by never properly learning scales to do anything more complicated of course..!

))<>((
forever.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 03:36 PM

3. "the goal: to seamlessly use both simultaniously"
In response to Reply # 0

... to be masterful at picking a la Skip James, Doc Watson, John Renbourn and others.

learnt some basic chords first to play songs like Drunken Sailor and Bolero probably... but was learning scales at basically the same time

30 years in and still working it.

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 03:49 PM

4. "both but what you focus on depends on the style of guitar"
In response to Reply # 0

that you want to play. BB King never played a chord in his life but you aren't BB King. Learning Basic Chords, Barre Chords, and Power Chords will enable you to play the rhythm part of almost any song. IF you want to be a good lead player, learning different scales all over the fret board is a must.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 04:45 PM

5. "I haven't decided what kind of player I want to be yet. But thank you."
In response to Reply # 4

I just want to play. It's interesting trying out and learning new things, and this is something that I've had an appreciation for.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 08:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I started with scales. I woudln't suggest doing it that way"
In response to Reply # 0

you have got to work on both. When you learn a chord you need to learn the corresponding scale.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 10:51 PM

7. "RE: Any of you play the guitar? Which did you learn first: chords or sca..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-13-15 10:52 PM by Sarah_Bellum

Start with 3 major chords. It's the best way to feel really accomplished and get hooked in. You can try D, C, G or D, A, G... doesn't really matter. With three chords you can play a song, actually many songs just by switching the order of the chords and doing different strumming patterns.
After you can finger your three chords try the major scale. Now practice both.
Then you can move on to add more major chords.

Learn the minor scale and then all of the minor chords. (learning the scale before you do the chords. it will help you hear the minor key better if you have no music back ground.)

DJTB YOMM

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:02 AM

8. "Definitely chords"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 12:03 AM by neuro_OSX

Learn the basic chords first, scales come later and will make sense to you.. IMHO scales should come much, much later. Though everyone learns differently

Lobby General Discussion topic #12779492 Previous topic | Next topic