Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12777773

Subject: "My job is killing me..." Previous topic | Next topic
gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My job is killing me..."

i'm exaggerating but still...shit been so stressful I'm barely sleeping. Without boring you with the details, I work in IT and was staffed on a global project with no defined scope a limited timeline and a very demanding client. I'm no stranger to this, but we typically draft language in our SOWs to help keep our efforts focused. The guy who drafted this one did no such thing so we have nothing to protect us from scope creep. Basically the client can come up with any random idea and demand we do it and we have no leverage to protect us (terrible).

Anyway, i'm no rookie to this but the shit is really getting to me lately. I don't think i have the energy for the months of battle it will take to right the ship. I know some of you, if not most of you, have demanding careers and have been buried in similar troubled waters. how do you deal?

Share your stories...i'm just venting

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
exercise..seriously
Apr 10th 2015
funny you should say this...
Apr 10th 2015
      yeah +1 that suggestion. Its counter-intuitive
Apr 11th 2015
Whenever y'all see me wildin out on here......
Apr 10th 2015
you've said what you can't do. so what CAN you do about it?
Apr 10th 2015
i completely understand
Apr 10th 2015
"everybody gotta do fuckin' job that they hate" © phonte
Apr 10th 2015
I love my job. It doesn't have to be that way...
Apr 10th 2015
+1 to whoever said find an external release
Apr 10th 2015
Random breaks is one thing I love about the industry
Apr 10th 2015
      RE: Random breaks is one thing I love about the industry
Apr 10th 2015
Same here. Department is in shambles cause the manager is a...
Apr 10th 2015
Today?!? I just went home... I felt a CLM (career limiting move) coming ...
Apr 10th 2015
I feel you...
Apr 10th 2015
Do you even lift, bro?
Apr 10th 2015
haven't been to the gym since late Feb...
Apr 10th 2015

rdhull
Charter member
33135 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 10:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "exercise..seriously"
In response to Reply # 0

especially yoga if at all possible

and some down time via couch veg tv time

its imperative

gumz
20118 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 10:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "funny you should say this..."
In response to Reply # 1

the stress really started building when i stopped being able to go to the gym regularly...cause i was working too damn much. i really need to figure out how to keep that going though.

J305
Member since Dec 07th 2008
7311 posts
Sat Apr-11-15 10:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "yeah +1 that suggestion. Its counter-intuitive"
In response to Reply # 13

because you feel like you don't have time to work out, but if you can do a condensed workout and get even 30 mins of exercise in a couple times a week it will probably make a noticeable difference. Weather is starting to warm up you could do a 30 min run a few times a week, or do intervals on a treadmill for 20 mins, and still get a good workout in.

peace

J305

People of color are NOT a minority. Think Global.

Don't Let Hollywood fool you.

http://www.twitter.com/Jtronic
http://www.last.fm/user/Jtronic

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 10:56 AM

2. "Whenever y'all see me wildin out on here......"
In response to Reply # 0

it's likely because there's steam I can't let off at work lol...

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 11:34 AM

3. "you've said what you can't do. so what CAN you do about it?"
In response to Reply # 0

what actions, if any, can you take to not live each day with stress?

i'd suggest that you either:

1. experience the stress, but build in ways to release it (more sex, exercise, do-nothing days)
2. not care enough to be stressed about it and take your chances at work with a relaxed attitude, regardless of the external pressure..which will cause them to either respect you more or fire you
3. quit your job and find another one or change careers altogther.

d

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 11:51 AM

4. "i completely understand"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-10-15 11:59 AM by Crash Bandacoot

depends on how fucked up the situation is. i may decide to
stick it out for the time being but, eventually i'll end up
somewhere else. if i had dependents and a mortgage than it may
be a different story.

i've been in situations where i was the jack of all trades,
and people tried to take advantage of that. also was lied
to/deceived about my role/responsibilities, and i ended up
being thrust into a project that was neglected over years
and nobody would touch because it was such a mess.

i can't stand incompetent people in authoritative/managerial
positions, it pisses me off to no end.

ALmighty44
Member since Feb 09th 2004
19824 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. ""everybody gotta do fuckin' job that they hate" © phonte"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm at my wits end with this job. Every thing about this current operation that I'm working sucks ass and the part that's really doing me in the fact that I'm working a major move within the company but the hours are wearing me down. Aside from the environmental hazards the additional wear and tear on my body is putting me a hurt locker. I swear I have some GREAT friends who keep me going with major encouragement. If it wasn't from them I would've thrown in the towel months ago.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 10:35 PM

15. "I love my job. It doesn't have to be that way... "
In response to Reply # 5

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 12:25 PM

6. "+1 to whoever said find an external release"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-10-15 12:26 PM by dustin

exercise, sex, your fav hobby, etc. From what you mention (dealing with scope creep) it sounds like it can get worse than it is now. That's a recipe for burnout and you gotta have something to take your mind off of work when it's at its most stressful.

I would focus on bearing the next few months and then either take a vacation or look for a new gig. Esp if the stress was caused by lack of pre-planning and scoping. That doesn't sound like your fault.

I left a fulltime gig last April cause of burnout (Software dev/freelancer so I know bout scope creep!!!) . They offered a leave of absence but I declined it saying I just needed to bounce from the company and find something new. If you have the resources (funds) to give yourself that kinda break it is definitely worth considering. My life is so much better cause of it.

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 12:38 PM

7. "Random breaks is one thing I love about the industry "
In response to Reply # 6

Mad people I went to school with I see just chilling and their like : I needed a break, I don't know their situation but it's normal in software

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 01:21 PM

8. "RE: Random breaks is one thing I love about the industry "
In response to Reply # 7

>Mad people I went to school with I see just chilling and
>their like : I needed a break, I don't know their situation
>but it's normal in software

We're def spoiled cause of the demand, especially here in the Bay. And we have the benefit of being able to do hobby work/freelance in that downtime that will give us something to speak on at the next job interview. My homie is a civil engineer and hates the work flexibility I have, haha..

Dope username btw!

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 04:46 PM

9. "Same here. Department is in shambles cause the manager is a..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-10-15 04:47 PM by BlassFemur

fuckin moron, and the higher ups are too cheap to hire a developer that can get the job done.

So yeah, I take mad breaks.

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 04:53 PM

10. "Today?!? I just went home... I felt a CLM (career limiting move) coming ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-10-15 05:02 PM by Cocobrotha2

I tried calming myself with some box breathing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzhk9jEkkI) but I kept getting worked up when I thought about it some more so I went home.

I finally calmed down enough to discuss the issue with my superior on the phone. We deaded 95% of it but I needed some time to get to a place mentally where I could deal with things constructively.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 07:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I feel you..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm contracting with a company who overcommitted by a long shot and they're looking at me crazy bc the person who drafted the SOW didn't know what the hell they were doing. I'm just hoping to secure a permanent position soon. So, I can get out of contracting hell.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 07:29 PM

12. "Do you even lift, bro?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seriously: nothing provides a better cathartic release than strapping a few hundred pounds to your back and channeling all of your anger and frustration into power.

gumz
20118 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 10:26 PM

14. "haven't been to the gym since late Feb..."
In response to Reply # 12

which is exactly when i started feeling like i was buried in quicksand...i def need to go back

Lobby General Discussion topic #12777773 Previous topic | Next topic